The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Another good outing from Hughes. Would be a shame if he's not in the rotation.
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    igotid88 wrote:

The way it's going, I could see Nova spending some time in the minors.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

The way it's going, I could see Nova spending some time in the minors.

If Hughes keeps pitching well and Pineda's velocity keeps improving then I can see that happening after Nova threw that minor league catcher under the bus after a rough start last week. Girardi wasn't too happy with him for that. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Andy comes back if both Hughes and Pineda are in the rotation and pitching well.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    igotid88 wrote:

This should be the rotation until Andys ready

CC
    Pineda
    Kuroda
    Hughes
    Nova
    Forbes annual valuation came out and the Yankees are worth a cool $1.85 billion. Tied with the Cowboys for the most valuable American franchise and just behind Man U at $1.9 billion.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    igotid88 wrote:

CC
    Pineda
    Kuroda
    Hughes
    Nova
    What about when Pettite joins the team later on?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

CC
    Pineda
    Kuroda
    Hughes
    Nova

I don't see Pineda being the second starter for a couple reasons. I don't think they want to have that pressure on him right away and I think they are going to make him earn it. I think it will be Kuroda 2nd but I also don't really think it makes a difference.

As for Pettitte. It all depends on what he looks like. If he looks like his old self. I could see it being.

CC
    Kuroda
    Pettitte
    Pineda
    Hughes

That's a pretty damn good rotation if you ask me.

I can really see Nova being sent down. He'll get big league starts because you never go through a season with just 5 starters but he's going to have to earn it and I don't think he's come close to that yet.
    Newch91 wrote:

CC
    Pineda
    Kuroda
    Hughes
    Nova

I'd guess that whoever's pitching the best out of Hughes, Pineda, and Nova stays in the rotation and the 3rd guy gets moved to AAA unless there's an injury to someone. Garcia will probably be used in long relief unless he agrees to a trade (I think they have to wait until mid-June to trade him without his permission because he was a free agent) so I think it's unlikely that they'll want to have to starters in the bullpen.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you guys really that keen on this rotation!? ... i mean kuroda and pettite are old no? ... pineda is unproven (basically had half a good year) ... CC seems to be on the decline (still good but not dominant like he was) ... hughes needs to show consistency ... i dunno ...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

CC
    Pineda
    Kuroda
    Hughes
    Nova

I don't see Pineda being the second starter for a couple reasons. I don't think they want to have that pressure on him right away and I think they are going to make him earn it. I think it will be Kuroda 2nd but I also don't really think it makes a difference.

As for Pettitte. It all depends on what he looks like. If he looks like his old self. I could see it being.

CC
    Kuroda
    Pettitte
    Pineda
    Hughes

That's a pretty damn good rotation if you ask me.

I can really see Nova being sent down. He'll get big league starts because you never go through a season with just 5 starters but he's going to have to earn it and I don't think he's come close to that yet.
    Yeah, I'm hearing he's been looking great out there. I can definitely see him as the #3 when he comes back. It'll be nice to have 2 lefties in the rotation again.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    polaris_x wrote:
    you guys really that keen on this rotation!? ... i mean kuroda and pettite are old no? ... pineda is unproven (basically had half a good year) ... CC seems to be on the decline (still good but not dominant like he was) ... hughes needs to show consistency ... i dunno ...

Haha, yes, I am more than fine with this rotation. CC is CC and will be fine. He had his lowest ERA last year since he came to the Yankees, so I am perfectly fine with him at the top. Kuroda, while older, has been one of the most consistent starters in baseball over the past 4 years. Pineda has some development to do, but could turn into an ace. Pitchers with that stuff don't come around every day. Hughes looks to be much better than last year and if not there is Nova and Freddy. So yeah, I'm more than fine with this rotation considering Nova and Freddy were starting playoff games last year and they added pitchers much better than them.

And the Yanks have a beast of an offense. Look how many games they won last year with Colon, Freddy, Nova and Burnett. So yeah...
    Unless Hughes shits the bed I'd put nova as long man when Andy comes back, trade Garcia that shouldn't be too difficult. I definitely think Pineda will be the 2, he'll be fine the guys a beast.
    Newch91 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

CC
    Pineda
    Kuroda
    Hughes
    Nova
    Yeh, Newch, Martin was really impressed with his first bullpen.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Haha, yes, I am more than fine with this rotation. CC is CC and will be fine. He had his lowest ERA last year since he came to the Yankees, so I am perfectly fine with him at the top. Kuroda, while older, has been one of the most consistent starters in baseball over the past 4 years. Pineda has some development to do, but could turn into an ace. Pitchers with that stuff don't come around every day. Hughes looks to be much better than last year and if not there is Nova and Freddy. So yeah, I'm more than fine with this rotation considering Nova and Freddy were starting playoff games last year and they added pitchers much better than them.

And the Yanks have a beast of an offense. Look how many games they won last year with Colon, Freddy, Nova and Burnett. So yeah...

i just think there's a lot of question marks ... and yeah, the offense is there ... but they are old too ... which makes injuries more of a problem ... i don't get why you would bring in ibanez and move montero to make the team even older ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i just think there's a lot of question marks ... and yeah, the offense is there ... but they are old too ... which makes injuries more of a problem ... i don't get why you would bring in ibanez and move montero to make the team even older ...

If Montero is not a catcher, he has no place on this team. Ibanez blows and is irrelevant. This team is not really that old. They have two old infielders and 3 old pitchers (out of 7). That's it. They also have pitchers in triple A who would be pitching their way on to most big league teams. There are a whole lot less questions marks than there were last year and they made it to game 5 of the division series with Nova on the mound.

Edit: Not to mention, an absolutely stacked bullpen. Stacked. Yeah, the Yanks will be just fine. Look at other contenders question marks.

Defending champs lost the best player in the game have their ace coming back from TJ and their number 2 on the shelf. Rangers have Yu Darvish and lost their number 1 from last year. Who knows how many games Hamiltion will play. Red Sox have 3 starters. Rays don't have much offense. Phillies have no offense at the moment. The Yanks worrying about their 7 starting pitchers is certainly on the low end of my concerned list.
    polaris_x wrote:

Yeah, I definitely think their rotation is shaping up to be one of the best in the AL. The Angels' 1-3 are better on paper but I like the quality and depth the Yankees have.

CC has been excellent for the past several years and I'm not worried about him at all. Since coming to NY he's been in the top 10 in Wins, ERA, IP, Ks, starts--and if you like some of those SABR stats he's been in the top 10 in WAR for Pitchers and Adjusted ERA+ all 3 seasons, too (and last season was his best WAR for Pitchers of his career and he was 2nd in the league only to Verlander). Yes, his WHIP rose slightly last year but his BB/9 and HR/9 both went down and his K/9 went up (his HR/9 was a career-best for him and his 2.3 BB/9 was his 4th-best season and best since joining the Yankees).

Hughes is having a much better spring than he had last year and scouts have said that he needs to be in the rotation because he's pitched so well. I think last year was a case of not knowing how to handle the increased workload in 2010 during the offseason and he never fully recovered from it but he had a nice September and seems to have his arm strength back so far this year.

Kuroda could be a question mark given his age and the fact that he's changing leagues but he's faced AL lineups in interleague play and he faced the DH regularly in Japan so I'm not as concerned with him as I would be with someone else--although I do think it could take him some time to adjust to facing those lineups every start again after 4 years in the NL instead of 2-3 times a year. Even if he struggles, though, it's ok because they have 6 other guys used to pitching in the AL who can take his spot if he's that bad.

Nova is young and there's always a question of how a guy will do in his 2nd season but he actually got much better in the 2nd half of last season (8-0 and lowered his ERA and WHIP). If he gets the chance to start every 5th day I wouldn't complain at all.

Pineda's velocity dip and 2nd half of 2011 could be a concern, but that's why it's so good to have 7 starters. If he hasn't recovered from the workload last year they can send him to AAA and limit his innings this year so he can bounce back next year and be the pitcher he's projected to be and not have to worry about the NY media hounding him about his velocity. It's a positive sign, though, that his fastball gained some speed back i nhis last start so I'm not ready to join the ranks of people predicting that he'll be this year's Phil Hughes until I see it happening a few starts into the season.
    well ... only time will tell ... i think the jays are gonna make the AL east a fucking nightmare this year ... and if teams lose key pieces for any length of time - it could be trouble ... especially if your team is older ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    well ... only time will tell ... i think the jays are gonna make the AL east a fucking nightmare this year ... and if teams lose key pieces for any length of time - it could be trouble ... especially if your team is older ...

Was waiting for you to chime in about the Jays. Consider me unintimidated.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Was waiting for you to chime in about the Jays. Consider me unintimidated.
    If the Jays are going to be competing and close with NY, Boston, and Tampa, then I will be happy to see a very competitive AL East this season.
    And Joba, you motherfucker. I could see his Yankee career being over.
    This could all but put Hughes in the pen. I sure hope not.
    I am about to throw up just thinking about this injury
    You beat me to it Cliffy.

Huge setback for him.
    Newch91 wrote:

Huge setback for him.

Open dislocation. Does that mean he dislocated it and it opened the skin?

FUCK. Gotta feel for the guy.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Huge setback for him.

I have no idea. Not a science guy.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Huge setback for him.

Yep, it does. I don't recommend a Google Image search for it. Definitely not eating today.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Huge setback for him.

are you a doctor though?

espn even broadcasts yanks/redsox spring training games...there is no escaping it! :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    are you a doctor though?

espn even broadcasts yanks/redsox spring training games...there is no escaping it! :lol:

Complete with Bobby V pulling a suicide squeeze to tie the game in the 9th then crying like a bitch when the Yankees take off.
    Damn, that's a rough injury. I really hope they don't look at Hughes as a reliever now. He's had such a good spring from what I've read. They still have Soriano, Robertson, and Mo to ptich the final 3 innings so they should be able to get 6 innings out of their starters on most nights. Plus, they have Logan and Wade and they'll have Aardsma hopefully ready right around the time Joba would have been ready to return. They really don't need Hughes in the bullpen, especially considering that it could mess him up for next season when they'll certainly need him in the rotation.
    I doubt Joba injury impacts Phil's place in the rotation. We have plenty of depth to replace him just hope this isn't career ending.