The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Yankees made it official. Just got the email.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Excited to have him back, but at the same time, it makes the rotation situation even more convoluted. I'm guessing Pettitte will essentially "replace" Garcia.
    It's going to take him a while to get ready. I can't see him being ready for the beginning of the season. Then use Freddy in a trade, if need be. #46 is back. FUCK YEAH. You never have too much pitching.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    andy pettitte is a boss.
    rival. wrote:
    andy pettitte is a boss.

God damn right.

ANDY MOTHERFUCKING PETTITTE.

I can't get this cheese smile off my face.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    my buddy was town in tampa watching the team practice a few weeks ago and was watching andy the whole time. he was saying the guy looked like he was in INCREDIBLE shape and said then that it wouldn't be a stretch for him to come back for one year.
    rival. wrote:
    my buddy was town in tampa watching the team practice a few weeks ago and was watching andy the whole time. he was saying the guy looked like he was in INCREDIBLE shape and said then that it wouldn't be a stretch for him to come back for one year.

Yeah, Jack Curry said when he saw him that he looks more lean than he did in 2010.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I nearly drove off the road when I heard this on XM. He apparently got the itch after visiting camp a few weeks ago. He was supposed to stick around for 10 days and left after 3 because he couldn't stand to be there without being a part of the team.

I'm guessing that when Andy's ready to rejoin the rotation that Garcia will be moved to a long-relief role if he's in the rotation at that time. If Hughes and Pineda are both in the rotation and there aren't any injuries, then I think one of them will go to AAA to keep starting rather than move to the bullpen. I can't see them shuffling Hughes back to the bullpen again just for 1 season of Andy in the rotation unless he starts to show that his arm needs to be in the bullpen instead of the rotation to stay strong. But if he's pitching well, then I don't think they'll risk messing him up. If Hughes and Pineda are both pitching well, I could see them going with a 6-man rotation to keep Andy fresh and limit the innings for Pineda and Hughes.
    I nearly drove off the road when I heard this on XM. He apparently got the itch after visiting camp a few weeks ago. He was supposed to stick around for 10 days and left after 3 because he couldn't stand to be there without being a part of the team.

I'm guessing that when Andy's ready to rejoin the rotation that Garcia will be moved to a long-relief role if he's in the rotation at that time. If Hughes and Pineda are both in the rotation and there aren't any injuries, then I think one of them will go to AAA to keep starting rather than move to the bullpen. I can't see them shuffling Hughes back to the bullpen again just for 1 season of Andy in the rotation unless he starts to show that his arm needs to be in the bullpen instead of the rotation to stay strong. But if he's pitching well, then I don't think they'll risk messing him up. If Hughes and Pineda are both pitching well, I could see them going with a 6-man rotation to keep Andy fresh and limit the innings for Pineda and Hughes.

I think this is a good assessment. Although, I think Freddy could and probably will be used as a trade chip. I am pretty confident Andy can pitch well once he gets in shape.
    Pettitte-stare.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think this is a good assessment. Although, I think Freddy could and probably will be used as a trade chip. I am pretty confident Andy can pitch well once he gets in shape.

You're right. Garcia could become trade bait--especially as the trade deadline approaches. I like the idea of keeping him around as insurance, though. He's not great, but he's a pretty steady pitcher when healthy and a great option to have in an emergency.

I agree with you about Andy. He left on a very high note, performance-wise so I think he'll be very solid for them once he gets back into the swing of things.
    From LoHud

Cashman just spoke on YES Network and told the story of Pettitte’s signing. Turns out, the Yankees offered Pettitte a substantial deal in December but Pettitte turned it down because he wasn’t sure he wanted to come back. Pettitte started working out to get in shape, but when the Yankees made their moves for Pineda and Kuroda, Cashman told Pettitte he no longer had the money to make the signing. Pettitte shut it down briefly, then resumed throwing and approached Cashman during that brief stint as a guest instructor late last month. Earlier this week, Pettitte sneaked into camp for an early morning bullpen in front of Cashman, Joe Girardi and Larry Rothschild. Cashman confirmed that Pettitte will have to go through his own sort of spring training and pitch in some minor league games before he’s ready to join the big league rotation.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You're right. Garcia could become trade bait--especially as the trade deadline approaches. I like the idea of keeping him around as insurance, though. He's not great, but he's a pretty steady pitcher when healthy and a great option to have in an emergency.

I agree with you about Andy. He left on a very high note, performance-wise so I think he'll be very solid for them once he gets back into the swing of things.

Yeah, I assume they'll wait and see where everyone is. Can't have too much pitching. I like Garcia, and definitely think he has a role on this team but he could be used to fill a hole down the stretch. This team is pretty stacked.

2010 was, I think, his best year since 2005 or something. He definitley went out with a lot in the tank. Cashman said in his bullpen he looked like "Pettitte" so that's a good thing.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    I'm glad Pettitte's back but I hope they don't put Hughes in the bullpen. Just release or trade Freddy.
    I miss igotid88
    I miss igotid88
    Still smiling.

Andy fucking pettitte
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Still smiling.

Andy fucking pettitte

I wish he didn't retire in the first place. I'd love to see him get to 300 wins. I think that door is closed unless he could somehow play another 4 or 5 years.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    wow andy is back

imagine he comes right back w/out missing a beat aka super solid ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Still smiling.

Andy fucking pettitte

I wish he didn't retire in the first place. I'd love to see him get to 300 wins. I think that door is closed unless he could somehow play another 4 or 5 years.

Yeah, I assume this is a 1 year thing. 300 is/was a pipe dream, but the fact is we get to see #46 pitch again, and that's fucking awesome.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    With Pettite coming back...HURRY UP APRIL 6th!!!

I have a good feeling about this team this year. Nice to have 2 leftys in the rotation this year.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Cano leaves game after getting hit on the wrist.
    I miss igotid88
    I know it's only Spring Training but Ibanez isn't doing anything to make me think they were right to pick him over Damon. I really hope Kevin Long can get him turned around the way he helped out Granderson.
    I know it's only Spring Training but Ibanez isn't doing anything to make me think they were right to pick him over Damon. I really hope Kevin Long can get him turned around the way he helped out Granderson.

Yeeeaah, he's been awful. Can't see this expierment lasting too long if he keeps this up.

In good news, Cano's fine and Mason Williams hit a single in his first at bat last night.
    Happy Andy Pettitte day :D
    Fuck yeah!

http://twitter.com/#!/Yankees/status/18 ... 04/photo/1

Edit: And Martin said it was as good of a bullpen as he has caught all spring, from anyone.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Fuck yeah!

http://twitter.com/#!/Yankees/status/18 ... 04/photo/1

Edit: And Martin said it was as good of a bullpen as he has caught all spring, from anyone.
    :D:D:D
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Pineda's velocity was up, but the results weren't there tonight but he did strike out 5 of his last 6 batters. It'll all come together soon. Good sign with the velocity though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Pineda's velocity was up, but the results weren't there tonight but he did strike out 5 of his last 6 batters. It'll all come together soon. Good sign with the velocity though.

Do you know what he was hitting with his fastball? I haven't seen it mentioned in anything I read about the game, which I guess is a good sign and par for the course with the media (mention a dip in velocity as if the sky is falling and ignore when the velocity increases because it might make you look stupid for writing the doomsday articles after 1 Spring Training start).
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Do you know what he was hitting with his fastball? I haven't seen it mentioned in anything I read about the game, which I guess is a good sign and par for the course with the media (mention a dip in velocity as if the sky is falling and ignore when the velocity increases because it might make you look stupid for writing the doomsday articles after 1 Spring Training start).

Hit 94, sat at 92-93. Still lower than it will be, but increasing. That's the NY media though. He's just going to have to get used to it.