The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    You beat me to it Cliffy.

Huge setback for him.

Open dislocation. Does that mean he dislocated it and it opened the skin?

FUCK. Gotta feel for the guy.

According to the article that's up on ESPN by Kieran Darcy, there was an open flesh wound around the ankle. He was apparently at some sort of play center for kids with his son when he hurt himself. A doctor ESPN uses says that rehabbing from that surgery means he can't put any weight on that leg for 4-6 weeks and then has to rehab to get his strenth and range of motion back in that leg.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Unfortunately I didn't wait for a description of the injury and looked up the name of it. Not fun.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    reports are that joba will miss all of 2012
    polaris_x wrote:
    reports are that joba will miss all of 2012

I think that is just the assumption based on the injury. Cashman said he doesn't know anything yet.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I think that is just the assumption based on the injury. Cashman said he doesn't know anything yet.

any time you use the word gruesome and injury ... it's definitely someone on the long term DL ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

any time you use the word gruesome and injury ... it's definitely someone on the long term DL ...

Yeah, no doubt. I looked at a search of the injury unfortunately. I think we're all just hoping it's not a career thing. I don't expect him back, but it's all speculation at this point.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Anyone catch the game last night warren looked pretty good out there, like that kid seems to be pretty calm and composed. Betances has great stuff but it seems he's better suited for the pen than the rotation.
    Anyone catch the game last night warren looked pretty good out there, like that kid seems to be pretty calm and composed. Betances has great stuff but it seems he's better suited for the pen than the rotation.

I was watching the Syracuse game but was following along. Warren, Mitchell and Phelps would all be playing their way onto a lot of teams right now.
    Nova's answering the bell today. 9 up 9 down.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I really hate the fact that him or Phil will be the long man when Andy returns.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I really hate the fact that him or Phil will be the long man when Andy returns.

I hear you. I would much rather see Nova pitch in the minors for a couple months. You never get through the season with just 5 starters so he'll get some starts but they have to get them both starter inning work loads.
    4 runs in 7 innings for Nova
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, no doubt. I looked at a search of the injury unfortunately. I think we're all just hoping it's not a career thing. I don't expect him back, but it's all speculation at this point.

Andrew Marchand is saying there's a chance Joba could return in August or September depending on the severity of the injury. I'm not holding my breath on that happening, though, considering he's also got to rehab his elbow while he recovers from his ankle surgery. He was having a CT scan and MRI today so I'd assume the team will know more about a timetable for him after those results come back.
    Andrew Marchand is saying there's a chance Joba could return in August or September depending on the severity of the injury. I'm not holding my breath on that happening, though, considering he's also got to rehab his elbow while he recovers from his ankle surgery. He was having a CT scan and MRI today so I'd assume the team will know more about a timetable for him after those results come back.

I saw that. That was just an random injury expert he got that from though, right? Wasn't based on Joba's actual injury.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I saw that. That was just an random injury expert he got that from though, right? Wasn't based on Joba's actual injury.

Yeah, it was just one of ESPN's "medical experts." I'm guessing that whoever it was didn't take the elbow rehab into account. This has to set him back with the elbow rehab since not being able to put weight on his leg for at least a month will mean he can't throw for at least that long (probably a little longer). A September return would be great but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll settle for a healthy Joba returning next year. The one thing that makes me feel like he'll be able to come back from this at 100% is the fact that Buster Posey is able to catch less than a year after he had a similar injury.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Joba won't pitch this Yr not with what happened to hi's ankel .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, it was just one of ESPN's "medical experts." I'm guessing that whoever it was didn't take the elbow rehab into account. This has to set him back with the elbow rehab since not being able to put weight on his leg for at least a month will mean he can't throw for at least that long (probably a little longer). A September return would be great but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll settle for a healthy Joba returning next year. The one thing that makes me feel like he'll be able to come back from this at 100% is the fact that Buster Posey is able to catch less than a year after he had a similar injury.

Yeah, it took Kendry Morales 2 years but I read running the bases is the worst. I don't know. With everything gone on with Joba, I just hope he can come back at some point. A year, two years, whatever. He's a good dude and this is really sad. That is a repulsive injury and I can't imagine what it felt like. Horrible that his son had to see it.
    Um, holy shit. They were concerned for Jobas life because he lost so much blood. Jesus.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Um, holy shit. They were concerned for Jobas life because he lost so much blood. Jesus.

I just saw that report. That must have been awful. I broke my leg in 3rd grade and it was painful enough. I can't imagine how bad it must feel to have the bone break the skin and bleed like that. :sick:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I just saw that report. That must have been awful. I broke my leg in 3rd grade and it was painful enough. I can't imagine how bad it must feel to have the bone break the skin and bleed like that. :sick:

I cannot imagine at all. I don't even want to think about. Terrible. Poor kid had to see that.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I cannot imagine at all. I don't even want to think about. Terrible. Poor kid had to see that.

Our local talking head said he saw a report that it's feared it might be career ending. :shock:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Our local talking head said he saw a report that it's feared it might be career ending. :shock:

Yeah, I'm not suprised. Cashman just said his heart says it's not, which is basically saying nothing and he's hoping for the guy. Given the nature of the injury and the amount of damage that must be down down there, I would guess we won't have any type of idea for a while until they see how it heals and all.

I dig that Cashman said he's part of the family and all that. I really hope they don't try and void is contract or anything. He has a long road ahead of him and the Yanks should do anything they can to help.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not suprised. Cashman just said his heart says it's not, which is basically saying nothing and he's hoping for the guy. Given the nature of the injury and the amount of damage that must be down down there, I would guess we won't have any type of idea for a while until they see how it heals and all.

I dig that Cashman said he's part of the family and all that. I really hope they don't try and void is contract or anything. He has a long road ahead of him and the Yanks should do anything they can to help.

Yeah he was playing with his kid. It's not like he pulled an Aaron Boone or something.
    DS1119 wrote:

Yeah he was playing with his kid. It's not like he pulled an Aaron Boone or something.

Agreed, probably shouldn't have been doing what he was doing but fuck, he was being a good dad and probably having a blast with his son. Good father > good baseball player.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Agreed, probably shouldn't have been doing what he was doing but fuck, he was being a good dad and probably having a blast with his son. Good father > good baseball player.

There are things you just don't do when you're a professional athlete. Jumping on a trampoline has got to be one of them. He still would have been a good father watching from the sidelines. This is lack of common sense.
    There are things you just don't do when you're a professional athlete. Jumping on a trampoline has got to be one of them. He still would have been a good father watching from the sidelines. This is lack of common sense.

I agree and don't agree with respect. I know they're athletes and have to protect that but they also have families and should be allowed to enjoy life with them as well. It's such a fine line and this is a shame. I just feel bad for him that his career could be over.
    Girardi seems optimistic about Joba's recovery from this injury. There are no broken bones, which is good because he won't need any additional surgery so all he has to do now is heal. The biggest risk for him now is getting an infection in the wound, which would set back his recovery a little bit. They seem to think he might be able to come back in September if he heals ok and doesn't get any infections, but it's obviously too soon to tell. I'll settle for a fully-healed Joba in 2013 but I'm sure he'd love to get back this year just to avoid missing the whole season and prove to himself that he's ok.
  • Even if he never pitches for the Yankees again, you hope that he comes out of it OK. Yes, you can make the case he shouldn't have been doing it because of who he is, but to me that's disrespectful. Perhaps the best column on this came from Bob Klapisch.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_s ... _blow.html
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Even if he never pitches for the Yankees again, you hope that he comes out of it OK. Yes, you can make the case he shouldn't have been doing it because of who he is, but to me that's disrespectful. Perhaps the best column on this came from Bob Klapisch.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_s ... _blow.html

Very good. It also brings out the worst in blowhards.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1050157
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    good to see pineda hitting 88 on the gun ... :roll:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......