The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Cool looking forward to watching some baseball already.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Anyone know if the game tomorrow on MLB is going to be blacked out in the NYC area?

I read it was on.

On another note, AJ is out until May at least, it sounds like.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Brien Taylor charged with selling coke

http://deadspin.com/5889964/brien-taylo ... ng-charges
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I remember thinking I'd struck it rich when I pulled his Topps rookie card from a pack back in 1992. Whoops!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I remember thinking I'd struck it rich when I pulled his Topps rookie card from a pack back in 1992. Whoops!

I remember the Yankees thinking they struck it rich when the drafted him too. :lol: He was the first prospect I had ever really heard of at that age.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I remember the Yankees thinking they struck it rich when the drafted him too. :lol: He was the first prospect I had ever really heard of at that age.

The word bust doesn't even sum that up.
    DS1119 wrote:

No doubt, that is about as bad as it gets.
    DS1119 wrote:

He's one of only 2 players taken #1 overall in the draft to never reach the majors. The other was back in the '60s (I think 1966). He probably would've made it eventually if he hadn't decided to get in a fight after his brother got his ass handed to him.
    God bless Brian Cashman.

"We're still the Yankees. We're still going to outspend everybody else. That's not going to change." - Brian Cashman
    TAMPA, Fla. – On the morning of the first game they’d play since Game 5, the night the New York Yankees all went home for the winter, Alex Rodriguez stood before them and, according to witnesses, gave the sort of speech that wouldn’t have been possible five years ago.

Somebody else would have told the Yankees it was time to commit in body and soul to the next eight months.

Somebody with credibility would have reminded them who they are. Somebody with clubhouse authority would have challenged them. Somebody who’d endured the terrible stuff, and drank the sweet stuff, and tested out as an honest-to-goodness Yankee. That guy.

Alex Rodriguez says he's been "on a mission" since the Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs in October.

For long enough, that wasn’t A-Rod, not in their eyes and not in his own heart.

But on Friday morning, hours before they’d open their spring schedule against the University of South Florida and start all over again, sources said Rodriguez commanded the room for more than 10 minutes like he never had before.

“It was great,” said one witness. “I’d never seen that out of him before. I didn’t know he had it in him.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... ech_030212
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I really hope he dominates this season.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i have his rookie card too. i remember thinking it was the gem of my collection back then. i think its the topps gold card.
    look up ouch in the dictionary and you might find this:

He was never the same pitcher, never made the majors, and as recently as 2006 was living at home with his parents, on a street named after him.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    I heard Yankee fans were being extra nice to Hamels while he was warming up....
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    DS1119 wrote:

He's one of only 2 players taken #1 overall in the draft to never reach the majors. The other was back in the '60s (I think 1966). He probably would've made it eventually if he hadn't decided to get in a fight after his brother got his ass handed to him.

Steve Chilcott. Was looking like Matt Bush would be #3, but they converted him to a pitcher and he has a real shot to eventually make the Rays' bullpen.
    Reading that Pinstripe Empire book, it's pretty hilarious that people initially hated the way Babe Ruth played the game. They said he wasn't a team player for hitting home runs ( :lol: ) and that he should place the ball and move runners like Cobb and others.

Great book though.
    I guess Hughes velocity was there yesterday he was just missing spots.

Pineda is going to have to get used the scrutiny that goes along with NY, his velocity was down in his first spring start and the media is up in arms.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Reading that Pinstripe Empire book, it's pretty hilarious that people initially hated the way Babe Ruth played the game. They said he wasn't a team player for hitting home runs ( :lol: ) and that he should place the ball and move runners like Cobb and others.

Great book though.

the release date for the public is april? i am definitely picking it up when it comes out. i enjoyed most of torre's book that was released a couple years back.

loved reading about george kicking it in the yankees' club house during the 2000 world series eating cheeseburgers and watching the game on TV.
    rival. wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Great book though.

the release date for the public is april? i am definitely picking it up when it comes out. i enjoyed most of torre's book that was released a couple years back.

loved reading about george kicking it in the yankees' club house during the 2000 world series eating cheeseburgers and watching the game on TV.

April or May. Highly highly recommended and I'm only 100 pages in. I plan on buying it in hardcover to have long term. I actually never read the Torre book, I have to. Read that stuff from Last Night Of The Yankee Dynsaty, which was also great.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Pineda is going to have to get used the scrutiny that goes along with NY, his velocity was down in his first spring start and the media is up in arms.

Yeah, it seems like Hughes was consistently hitting 93 mph but was up in the zone too much. He admitted that he came into camp last year a little out of shape because he said he thought he needed more rest than he really did after having the heaviest workload of his career in 2010. It sounds like he came into camp in much better condition this year.

I think Pineda will be fine, but the media is going to harp on this until he hits 95-96 mph. There's the obvious "the sky is falling" panic carticles they'll write comparing him to Hughes last year and there's the fact that he arrived about 10 pounds heavier than he should be that'll give the writers plenty of negative things to write if he doesn't perform well.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, it seems like Hughes was consistently hitting 93 mph but was up in the zone too much. He admitted that he came into camp last year a little out of shape because he said he thought he needed more rest than he really did after having the heaviest workload of his career in 2010. It sounds like he came into camp in much better condition this year.

I think Pineda will be fine, but the media is going to harp on this until he hits 95-96 mph. There's the obvious "the sky is falling" panic carticles they'll write comparing him to Hughes last year and there's the fact that he arrived about 10 pounds heavier than he should be that'll give the writers plenty of negative things to write if he doesn't perform well.

Yeah, I saw some of that talk at LoHud yesterday. Girardi sounded pretty stern about it too. The biggest concern has to be the velocity so 93 yesterday is definitely good. He'll get the control.

Yeah, I'm not worried about Pineda, just found it amusing.
    David Robertson hurt his foot while moving some boxesa t his home. The team called it a mild foot sprain and said X-rays came back negative. Girardi said he might not be ready for Opening Day if he misses more than 2 weeks.
    I rather have D Rob back miss a month than fight through this all season. We will be fine we have the best pen in the majors and plenty of depth to get through this.
  • JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 677
    Got my tix for the Yanks vs. Nats series in DC! Woo Hoo! Love how the Nationals charge twice the price of regular games though... :x
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
    Sounds like the Robertson situation is getting a little worrisome. More tests.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Got my hands on an advance copy of this

http://www.amazon.com/Pinstripe-Empire-Yankees-Before-After/dp/1608194922

Going to dig into it tonight. I can't wait. I hear it's about as good as any Yankees book written.

Are you in a book club?
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Got my hands on an advance copy of this

http://www.amazon.com/Pinstripe-Empire-Yankees-Before-After/dp/1608194922

Going to dig into it tonight. I can't wait. I hear it's about as good as any Yankees book written.

Are you in a book club?

I am not. My sisters boyfriend works at WHYY, the NPR station in Philly. They get hundreds of books early to review and he picked this up for me. It's really good.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I really hope he doesn't miss too much time. I know the bullpen is strong enough that it can withstand one guy going down but he's an important weapon in the late innings. If he's not injured too badly, they are going to be virtually impossible to beat when they lead after 6 innings. If he's out for a long time then Joba's return in mid-season will be even more important than most people assumed it would be. I just hope a lenghty DL saty doesn't make them think about moving Hughes back to a relief role. I still believe that a healthy Hughes is going to be a solid starter for them and moving him back to relief now would be messing with his development too much.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I really hope he doesn't miss too much time. I know the bullpen is strong enough that it can withstand one guy going down but he's an important weapon in the late innings. If he's not injured too badly, they are going to be virtually impossible to beat when they lead after 6 innings. If he's out for a long time then Joba's return in mid-season will be even more important than most people assumed it would be. I just hope a lenghty DL saty doesn't make them think about moving Hughes back to a relief role. I still believe that a healthy Hughes is going to be a solid starter for them and moving him back to relief now would be messing with his development too much.

Agreed. Got to give him enough time to get 100% healthy though. Can't have someone like that messing with his delivery and messing up his arm.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Man I hope not. They toy too much with Hughes.
    I miss igotid88
    Just a bone bruise for Robertson. Should be good for opening day. That's a relief.