The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bernie on the hall of fame ballot. Obviously not getting in, but hopefully he can stay on the ballot for a couple years.

:D
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bernie on the hall of fame ballot. Obviously not getting in, but hopefully he can stay on the ballot for a couple years.
    You never know. Stranger things have happened.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Eh, Bernie isn't a hall of famer and shouldn't be. Him getting in would marginalize the hall of fame. Hall of very good for Bernie and being on the ballot for a few years will justify a great career, not a hall of fame career.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Eh, Bernie isn't a hall of famer and shouldn't be. Him getting in would marginalize the hall of fame. Hall of very good for Bernie and being on the ballot for a few years will justify a great career, not a hall of fame career.
    He'll be in.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Donnie is twice (maybe not twice) the player Bernie is and he's not getting in so Bernie has no shot, and he shouldn't. Doesn't take anything away from a great career though, hall of fame is only for a select few.
  • I think Bernie will get more votes than he probably should just because he was a big part of 4 championships. He won't get in, but he'll do better than some people expect. The rings make people give a player extra credit. It's why Kirby Puckett is in the Hall of Fame and Mattingly's not. The played nearly the exact same number of games over their careers (1,785 for Mattingly and 1,783 for Puckett). Puckett has a .318 BA compared to .307 for Mattingly and 2,304 hits vs. 2,153 for Mattingly. Mattingly ahd the advantage in HRs, RBI, 2B, BB, and struck out only 444 times compared to Puckett's 965. In OBP, Puckett led by .002 (.30 vs. .358). Even in grounding into DPs, the difference was only 3 times (Puckett 188, Mattingly 191). Mattingly was walked intentionally 136 times compared to 85 for Puckett. Mattingly won 9 Gold Gloves to Puckett's 6. But Puckett won 2 World Series and Mattingly only ever made the playoffs once and the Yankees were eliminated in the LDS.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Donnie is twice (maybe not twice) the player Bernie is and he's not getting in so Bernie has no shot, and he shouldn't. Doesn't take anything away from a great career though, hall of fame is only for a select few.
  • If you look at some of the old-timers that got voted in back in the day it's hilarious. I'll have to look it up - there was a nice Joe Poz article on it. HoF voters have actually gotten much more rational & realistic. I mean, Joe DiMaggio was NOT a first-ballot HoFer. :roll:

The standards for a starting pitcher to get into the HoF have gotten out of hand actually. Blyleven on his 14th try - ridiculous. And they put in freakin Bruce Sutter. I don't think any reliever besides Mariano should get into the HoF at this point, although Hoffman will probably get in.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I know its early but i cant remember a more quiet offseason, cash is definitely up to something I smell a blockbuster coming.
    I think Bernie will get more votes than he probably should just because he was a big part of 4 championships. He won't get in, but he'll do better than some people expect. The rings make people give a player extra credit. It's why Kirby Puckett is in the Hall of Fame and Mattingly's not. The played nearly the exact same number of games over their careers (1,785 for Mattingly and 1,783 for Puckett). Puckett has a .318 BA compared to .307 for Mattingly and 2,304 hits vs. 2,153 for Mattingly. Mattingly ahd the advantage in HRs, RBI, 2B, BB, and struck out only 444 times compared to Puckett's 965. In OBP, Puckett led by .002 (.30 vs. .358). Even in grounding into DPs, the difference was only 3 times (Puckett 188, Mattingly 191). Mattingly was walked intentionally 136 times compared to 85 for Puckett. Mattingly won 9 Gold Gloves to Puckett's 6. But Puckett won 2 World Series and Mattingly only ever made the playoffs once and the Yankees were eliminated in the LDS.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's a really interesting comparsion. Never thought about that or compared those two. Rings definitely help and his place on that dynasty team will certainly get him some votes. Just not enough.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I know its early but i cant remember a more quiet offseason, cash is definitely up to something I smell a blockbuster coming.

albert-pujols-struggles.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    I know its early but i cant remember a more quiet offseason, cash is definitely up to something I smell a blockbuster coming.

I really wouldn't get your hopes up. Their payroll for this year is going to be approaching $205 million with the players they have. Without clearing substantial payroll, which I just don't know how they would do it, they would have a payroll approaching $230 million and that just isn't happening, not for a player they have no where to put. It doesn't make sense.

I don't see anything big this year and I am fine with that. There doesn't seem to be anything out there and with the stacked farm and recent focus on player development, it's just not in the cards right now.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I really wouldn't get your hopes up. Their payroll for this year is going to be approaching $205 million with the players they have. Without clearing substantial payroll, which I just don't know how they would do it, they would have a payroll approaching $230 million and that just isn't happening, not for a player they have no where to put. It doesn't make sense.

I don't see anything big this year and I am fine with that. There doesn't seem to be anything out there and with the stacked farm and recent focus on player development, it's just not in the cards right now.

They do have a place to put him. A 1B/3B/DH rotation with Tex and ARod. With Jorge probably gone...I'm just saying. Talent like this doesn't come around often and with Albert probably a season away from 500 career HR's...you never now. Ynakees love a show!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    If Donnie never hurt his back he would have made it. Kirby has World Series Heroics on his resume. Bernie is the player i point out to people when damning the steriod users, "See how his career has a nice natural arc to it" you don't get better at 40.
    DS1119 wrote:

They do have a place to put him. A 1B/3B/DH rotation with Tex and ARod. With Jorge probably gone...I'm just saying. Talent like this doesn't come around often and with Albert probably a season away from 500 career HR's...you never now. Ynakees love a show!

That is not a place to put a 3 $20+ million players. It is not realistic in the least. There is no way they invest over $200 million into an aging slugger when they have a rotation that includes Freddy Garcia, Phil hughes and AJ. It's just not happening. The last thing the Yankees need right now is a 31 year old hitter
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

That is not a place to put a 3 $20+ million players. It is not realistic in the least. There is no way they invest over $200 million into an aging slugger when they have a rotation that includes Freddy Garcia, Phil hughes and AJ. It's just not happening. The last thing the Yankees need right now is a 31 year old hitter

Keep in mind. ARod has this season and possibly next and then the Yanks will park him somewhere else. Also, how effective will ARod even be this year?
    If Donnie never hurt his back he would have made it..

Number 23 is my favorite of all time! I love how when I go to the stadium, other than Jeter jerseys or shirts, the next biggest number you see in the stands is Donnie! Just pure class and a tragic story. He was sandwiched right between the 70's era Yanks and the mid 90's Yanks but he held his own. Hopefully he'll be back with the team in the future.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Keep in mind. ARod has this season and possibly next and then the Yanks will park him somewhere else. Also, how effective will ARod even be this year?

that is exactly the point, Arod is going to be the DH at some point. So then you have Pujols at 3rd at 34+ years old, someone who has played a grand total of 7 games at 3rd since 2002?
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    just met tex in my office...good guy
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • It's absurd that Blyleven ahd to wait so long. He spent more time on the ballot than Sutter did despite being 3rd on the all-time strikeouts list when he retired (he's still 5th on the list now, led the league once and was in the top 5 12 other times and in the top 10 2 more times beyond that), leading the league in shutouts 3 times, being in the top 10 in ERA 10 times, leading the league in CG with 24 in 1985 (10 more than the 2 pitchers tied for 2nd and led the league with 5 shutouts but was just 17-16 thanks to being on bad Indians and Twins teams that year), being in the top 10 in CG 12 times, and being in the top 10 in shutouts 10 times. I know he irritated some people early in his career and his W-L record was hurt by being on some awful teams, but I can't see how the writers overlooked his 287 wins knowing what bad teams he played for for much of his career.
    If you look at some of the old-timers that got voted in back in the day it's hilarious. I'll have to look it up - there was a nice Joe Poz article on it. HoF voters have actually gotten much more rational & realistic. I mean, Joe DiMaggio was NOT a first-ballot HoFer. :roll:

The standards for a starting pitcher to get into the HoF have gotten out of hand actually. Blyleven on his 14th try - ridiculous. And they put in freakin Bruce Sutter. I don't think any reliever besides Mariano should get into the HoF at this point, although Hoffman will probably get in.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    that is exactly the point, Arod is going to be the DH at some point. So then you have Pujols at 3rd at 34+ years old, someone who has played a grand total of 7 games at 3rd since 2002?

When I said that I mean I think they park ARod on another team. He's not some endeared Yankee like Jorge at DH this year. Once he can't play third effectively I think he's gone and the team would actually pay a vast majority of his salary to move him. I have not ever seen a better player in baseball not be embraced by his team's fans than ARod.
    just met tex in my office...good guy

Ask him about Albert? :lol:
    Bernie was the all-time post season career home run leader until Manny broke his record. That would definitely help him get in.
    DS1119 wrote:

NO
  • They'd have to pay at least $20 million per year to get rid of him at that point and that's not going to happen. They'll gladly let him DH and embrace the media coverage of his march towards more HR milestones. He could pass Mays this year, then it'll be on towards Ruth in 2014 and possibly Aaron in 2015 or 2016. If he has good numbers the next few years, he could possibly squeeze #700 in before 2013 ends, so he's set up to have a lot of media coverage for much of the rest of his deal.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

When I said that I mean I think they park ARod on another team. He's not some endeared Yankee like Jorge at DH this year. Once he can't play third effectively I think he's gone and the team would actually pay a vast majority of his salary to move him. I have not ever seen a better player in baseball not be embraced by his team's fans than ARod.
    I'b be surprised if ARod plays 80 games this year. IMO
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I completely disagree with everything in this statement. The only people at Yankee stadium who boo Arod are the knuckleheads who make one trip a year to the stadium and listen to the nonsense about nobody liking him. Arod is not my favorite player on the team, I like more of the home grown players as most fans do, but he is probably the most important so you have to stand by him. I would also say that in any given home game, Arods at bats get by far the most attention by the fans in anticipation of something happening.

Considering Arod has a no trade clause, he's not going anywhere.
    They'd have to pay at least $20 million per year to get rid of him at that point and that's not going to happen. They'll gladly let him DH and embrace the media coverage of his march towards more HR milestones. He could pass Mays this year, then it'll be on towards Ruth in 2014 and possibly Aaron in 2015 or 2016. If he has good numbers the next few years, he could possibly squeeze #700 in before 2013 ends, so he's set up to have a lot of media coverage for much of the rest of his deal.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Bingo. Plus the whole no trade clause.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I completely disagree with everything in this statement. The only people at Yankee stadium who boo Arod are the knuckleheads who make one trip a year to the stadium and listen to the nonsense about nobody liking him. Arod is not my favorite player on the team, I like more of the home grown players as most fans do, but he is probably the most important so you have to stand by him. I would also say that in any given home game, Arods at bats get by far the most attention by the fans in anticipation of something happening.

Considering Arod has a no trade clause, he's not going anywhere.

I attend 10-12 games a year and I will say ARod's AB's are the most anticipated because alot of fans can't wait to see him fail...unfortunately something that happens alot more than less in big situtaions.
    DS1119 wrote:

I attend 10-12 games a year and I will say ARod's AB's are the most anticipated because alot of fans can't wait to see him fail...unfortunately something that happens alot more than less in big situtaions.

This is idiotic. Any Yankees fan who cant wait to see a player on their team fail, is not a Yankees fan and should not be considered part of the fanbase.

How the fuck do people forget that without Arod there is no chance of 2009 happening?
  • Some voters will look at that and vote for him, but many voters will look at his World Series numbers and see how they compare with guys like Ruth, Berra, and Mantle. He's not in the top 10 in any major offensive category besides walks and strikeouts and only had a .208 BA. His LCS numbers are excellent, though (3rd all-time in HRs, 1st in RBI, .321 BA). I don't know if that will be enough to sway enough voters to get him in but it might be something that helps him further down the line (maybe when gets to his 10th year on the ballot or something like that).
    Newch91 wrote:
    Bernie was the all-time post season career home run leader until Manny broke his record. That would definitely help him get in.