The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745 wrote:

Oswalt was never loved (in Philly at least). He was on the team, so you root for him to win, but he wasn't a great fit for the city. And then he hurt his back operating heavy machinery in Mississippi and blamed something or someone else every time he lost.

Sounds like he would last about 3.2 seconds with the New York media.

I don't know why the fans & media didn't get on him more here. Especially considering the treatment of Hamels. :?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The guy had a bad 6 weeks, it happens in baseball. He gained weight and they went with a 6 man rotation. I think he'll be fine.

6 weeks is like a quarter of the season ... plus, i'm talking about the last 10 weeks - when it matters most ...
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I don't like the idea of the Yankees scouting another Japanese pitcher. Look what happened with Hideki Irabu and Kei Igawa.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • That's insane. Other than Halladay, what pitcher has been as consistently among the best pitchers in the league for each of the last 5 seasons besides CC? Not Lee, not Hamels, not even guys like Verlander, Felix Hernandez, or Weaver. Not that those guys aren't good, but they've all had at least one down season in that time.

As for Lee's postseason legend, I'm not saying his legend is overblown based on 1 game this year. He was also pretty awful in the World Series last year (0-2, 6.94 ERA). He also only gave up 2 walks and had 9 K's in the game this year in which you say he was "squeezed." That's his 3rd straight bad start in the postseason. I'm not saying he's a terrible postseason pitcher, but I expect more out of a guy who's annointed a postseason deity by the media than 0-3 with a 7.13 ERA. If you want to say that he pitched well in that game, fine (Lee said after the game that he didn't pitch well, by the way), but if we're making excuses for players then CC's 2008 postseason stats need to be tossed out the same way Lee's 2011 game is because Milwaukee used him on short rest and he threw 7 complete games for them down the stretch (he led the NL in Complete Games and Shutouts in his half-season in the league).
    He's probably not the best pitcher in baseball, but he's in the top 2-4.

Don't be ridiculous. He would be 4th in the Phillies' rotation. And he's come up fairly small in a large sample of playoff starts.

And don't give me shit about Lee's playoff game this year. He was squeezed by the umpire (after Larussa's bitch fest) and had unlucky BABIP/poor fielding. Cliffy likes his sabermetrics and should understand that.
  • That's insane. Other than Halladay, what pitcher has been as consistently among the best pitchers in the league for each of the last 5 seasons besides CC? Not Lee, not Hamels, not even guys like Verlander, Felix Hernandez, or Weaver. Not that those guys aren't good, but they've all had at least one down season in that time.

As for Lee's postseason legend, I'm not saying his legend is overblown based on 1 game this year. He was also pretty awful in the World Series last year (0-2, 6.94 ERA). He also only gave up 2 walks and had 9 K's in the game this year in which you say he was "squeezed." That's his 3rd straight bad start in the postseason. I'm not saying he's a terrible postseason pitcher, but I expect more out of a guy who's annointed a postseason deity by the media than 0-3 with a 7.13 ERA. If you want to say that he pitched well in that game, fine (Lee said after the game that he didn't pitch well, by the way), but if we're making excuses for players then CC's 2008 postseason stats need to be tossed out the same way Lee's 2011 game is because Milwaukee used him on short rest and he threw 7 complete games for them down the stretch (he led the NL in Complete Games and Shutouts in his half-season in the league).

Even after 3 poor starts for Lee, he still has a 2.52 ERA in the playoffs. Of course he wouldn't make excuses after that game - he's not that type.

Sabathia is at 4.81 in the playoffs, which is just awful any way you slice it. It's in a sample of about half a regular season, which is pretty significant. Sorry - I, and pretty much everyone else who doesn't root for the Yankees, just don't think he's a great pitcher.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • He had an ERA of 4.68 in August and 3.08 in September. His September was hardly a disaster by any stretch of the imagination.
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    beauty of this is we will see what CC does next year ... not 4 years from now ... next year ... i don't think he can keep his era below 3.50 ...

Yeah, I mean, he only had the second lowest ERA of his career this year.

ya ... but what was his era since august? ... i'm gonna say north of 4 ... that would be the last 2.5 months if we include the playoffs ...

edit: added "months"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    old man oswalt coming to town cliffy???

ughhhhhhhhhh hope not

He would get slaughtered by that division. Good riddance to that guy. :twisted: Maybe he can go work for FEMA.

my how quick the love vanished :lol:

you guys love picking up old phillies pitchers. i hear jamie moyer looked good in work out recently. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    He had an ERA of 4.68 in August and 3.08 in September. His September was hardly a disaster by any stretch of the imagination.

not saying it is ... it's just he's getting paid as the best pitcher in baseball ...

i'd love to have CC on the jays but if AA paid that much for him, i would say he wasn't worth it ... it's as simple as that ...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933

Even after 3 poor starts for Lee, he still has a 2.52 ERA in the playoffs. Of course he wouldn't make excuses after that game - he's not that type.
    everything was going so good until the giants ruined his confidence :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Sorry - I, and pretty much everyone else who doesn't root for the Yankees, just don't think he's a great pitcher.

This is just complete and utter bullshit. He is not Roy Halladay but he is one of the best pitchers in the game, playoff performance or not. He has pitched over 700 innings to an ERA of 3.18 over the past 3 years in the AL East. Only Verlander, Weaver & Felix have a better ERA while pitching all three years in the AL and close to that many innings.
  • I think he'd sound pretty silly making excuses by blaming the umpire when he struck out 9 and only walked 2. It doesn't sound like he was squezzed, it sounds like his pitches over the plate were either missed or hit well (hence the 12 hits to go along with the 9 K's).

I don't think there's a team in the league who wouldn't want him in their rotation and I don't think there's a fan in the league who wouldn't want him in their team's rotation--and I mean that regardless of how good the rotation is right now. He'd be the ace of just about every staff in baseball outside of the Phillies because Halladay has been just incredible even when he was in the AL East. If you don't think he's great, then I don't know what to tell you. Name another pitcher besides Halladay who's put up his numbers over the past 5 seasons:
    95-40 Winn/Loss, 3.09 ERA, 1,199 IP, 1,084 K.

His average season over the last 5 seasons is:
    19-8, 3.09 ERA, ~239 2/3 IP, 216 K

There's also the matter of his 2009 post-season, which was outstanding: 3-1, 1.98 ERA, 36.1 IP, 32K and a World Series ring.

That's insane. Other than Halladay, what pitcher has been as consistently among the best pitchers in the league for each of the last 5 seasons besides CC? Not Lee, not Hamels, not even guys like Verlander, Felix Hernandez, or Weaver. Not that those guys aren't good, but they've all had at least one down season in that time.

Sabathia is at 4.81 in the playoffs, which is just awful any way you slice it. It's in a sample of about half a regular season, which is pretty significant. Sorry - I, and pretty much everyone else who doesn't root for the Yankees, just don't think he's a great pitcher.
  • Well, you were leading the conversation in a way that implied his last 2 months were bad. I'm just pointing out that September was actually very good and only August was bad.

He's getting paid as the best pitcher in baseball because he's one of the best pitchers in baseball. Honestly, after Halladay, what pitchers do you think have been better over the past 5 years?
    polaris_x wrote:
    He had an ERA of 4.68 in August and 3.08 in September. His September was hardly a disaster by any stretch of the imagination.

not saying it is ... it's just he's getting paid as the best pitcher in baseball ...

i'd love to have CC on the jays but if AA paid that much for him, i would say he wasn't worth it ... it's as simple as that ...
    Well, you were leading the conversation in a way that implied his last 2 months were bad. I'm just pointing out that September was actually very good and only August was bad.

He's getting paid as the best pitcher in baseball because he's one of the best pitchers in baseball. Honestly, after Halladay, what pitchers do you think have been better over the past 5 years?

i included october as well which was not so good ... i wanted to highlight over the course of the last 10 weeks - it wasn't so great ...

for sure CC has had a good run over the past 5 years - the question is can he keep it up over the life of the contract ... is he going to be the best pitcher in baseball in the next 2 years (forget about at the back end of the deal)? ... i don't think so ... i think he's on the decline and not worth the money ... but i will reiterate again - as far as the yankees go - it doesn't really matter what that price tag is ...
  • He had a better 2011 than 2010 and 2009. How is that indicative of a guy on the decline? His final month was excellent, so it's not like he finished the season on a down note. His ERA was the lowest of any season he spent entirely in the AL and has decreased each of the last 2 seasons. Yes, his post-season this year wasn't good. Neither was Verlander's. Of course, both guys started a game that was rained out after 2 innings and came back on short rest, so that may have played a role in it (or maybe not, who knows?). CC has had good post-seasons before, though. As I said earlier, he was excellent in 2009 and got a World Series ring out of it. To look at his season and say he had a bad August and 1 bad start in the ALDS (and a bad relief appearance, but that's not his usual role) ignores April, May, June, July, and September.
    polaris_x wrote:
    Well, you were leading the conversation in a way that implied his last 2 months were bad. I'm just pointing out that September was actually very good and only August was bad.

i included october as well which was not so good ... i wanted to highlight over the course of the last 10 weeks - it wasn't so great ...

for sure CC has had a good run over the past 5 years - the question is can he keep it up over the life of the contract ... is he going to be the best pitcher in baseball in the next 2 years (forget about at the back end of the deal)? ... i don't think so ... i think he's on the decline and not worth the money ... but i will reiterate again - as far as the yankees go - it doesn't really matter what that price tag is ...
    He had a better 2011 than 2010 and 2009. How is that indicative of a guy on the decline? His final month was excellent, so it's not like he finished the season on a down note. His ERA was the lowest of any season he spent entirely in the AL and has decreased each of the last 2 seasons. Yes, his post-season this year wasn't good. Neither was Verlander's. Of course, both guys started a game that was rained out after 2 innings and came back on short rest, so that may have played a role in it (or maybe not, who knows?). CC has had good post-seasons before, though. As I said earlier, he was excellent in 2009 and got a World Series ring out of it. To look at his season and say he had a bad August and 1 bad start in the ALDS (and a bad relief appearance, but that's not his usual role) ignores April, May, June, July, and September.

but that's just era ... his whip and opponents BA has been getting worse since 2008 ... also, his june and may's numbers weren't that great ...

but again - if you think that he will give you the numbers even close to what the best pitcher in baseball is giving ... then great ... i don't think so ...
  • I'm sick of arguing about Sabathia. Yankees fans like a guy with almost a 5 postseason ERA, so whatever. You guys can enjoy him. As Cliffy says, I just don't like the guy. He seems like a good person, but he strikes me as a pitcher who racks up good stats against bad teams like the Orioles and everyone in the AL Central. I guess somebody said he was good against the Red Sox until this year, but he sure shit the bed for Cleveland in that playoff series when they were up 3-1.

CC certainly helped the Yanks get to the 2009 WS, but did little to actually help them win that series. Their keys were the Burnett performance in Game 2 and their hitting.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:

Unbelievable series. Highest of highs, lowest of lows. Walkoffs to Mo blowing it.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... ile-weeks/

Gio Gonzalez? Wonder if they could get it done without Montero.

Edit: Romine could be of some value to them if they trade Suzuki. A package around Romine and others. Would probably take Betances too.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,795
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Unbelievable series. Highest of highs, lowest of lows. Walkoffs to Mo blowing it.

I blame defensive positioning more than Mo.
    I miss igotid88
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/04/report-as-will-listen-to-offers-on-everyone-but-jemile-weeks/

Gio Gonzalez? Wonder if they could get it done without Montero.

Edit: Romine could be of some value to them if they trade Suzuki. A package around Romine and others. Would probably take Betances too.

I wouldn't trade Montero for anybody, i like what i saw last year.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Me too.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

I did for a long time, but pretty much every manager in the game would have the infield in there.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    So Posada is either going to retire or play for another team next year, apparently.
  • I'd bet on him retiring if I bet on that sort of thing. I read that he's going to wait until January or February to decide, but it sounds like he's not too sure about playing somewhere else with a new batch of teammates. His wife said that she wants him to think about it so he doesn't ahve any regreats about not accomplishing anything he set out to do and then said she thinks he may want to get to 300 HRs, but Posada said that while he'd like to hit 300 HRs, "It's not happening." I think he understands that he won't be signed by anoyone for 2013 and it's highly unlikely he'll get the 25 HRs he needs even if he winds up with a team that gives him regular playing time (which is unlikely since he said he'd only consider playing for a team that can be a contender in 2012 and that probably means he'd be a platoon DH or backup/pinch hitter).
    tcaporale wrote:
    So Posada is either going to retire or play for another team next year, apparently.
    He's not coming back. He saw how Montero played down the stretch. Funny he talked to Bernie, I am sure the Yanks will offer him an invite to camp, which he will decline, much like Bernie.
  • Very interesting comparison made here in the http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/201 ... witterfeed on how Mark Buehrle could be like getting Jimmy Key in 1992. That was when Maddux spurned the Yankees for the Braves, Cone went from his rental stint with the Blue Jays to the Royals.

The only difference is that Key was not adding to a rotation filled with aces but was the ace on a team that the year before that had a rotation anchored by Melido Perez and Scott Sanderson.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Hellickson ROY, Nova 4th.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think that was right, Nova's ERA wasn't under four until August 21 and it's very rare for someone with an ERA over 3.50 to win any award. Plus you look at the last two AL Cy Young votes for precedence where ERA trumps wins.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think that was right, Nova's ERA wasn't under four until August 21 and it's very rare for someone with an ERA over 3.50 to win any award. Plus you look at the last two AL Cy Young votes for precedence where ERA trumps wins.

I have no problem with it. Nova is not in Hellickson's league.