What's up with so many fans wearing PJ shirts to the shows?

Comments

• Ok, so urban legend has it that it is bad luck to wear the band's own shirts to the concerts. So, no one wants to be "that guy".

Who the fuck started that anyway?

I find it incredibly uncool of all the peeps trying to be cool by not wearing them. Personally, I think it is totally cool to be uncool. Uncool is the new cool, and why do you want to be like 15,000 uncool concert goers who follow this rule, thinking they are cool. I am sure NO ONE can tell you why it is considered "uncool" anyway. Fucking sheeple.

I always wear one, except on Halloween. I think it is especially cool if you wear one that is 8 years or older that you actually purchased at a show...that give you HUGE street cred as a long time fan.
    :D
  • I'll give ya a good reason.....
    I'm a tool fanboy! I have great PJ shirts and I will wear them to every show.
    Now wearing a Dark Knight t-shirt on opening night at the AMC .......... That's different altogether.
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Scott36 wrote:
    There's an old rule that you never wear a band's shirt to their concerts. PJ fans seem to disregard this completely! Any particular reason? If you're at the show, why do you need to be wearing a PJ shirt? Just curious.

Not only will I wear a Pearl Jam shirt but there is a huge possibility that it will be the shirt I just bought that very night :twisted:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • JohnD.JohnD. Posts: 63
    Don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but the "That guy" line was written by PJ's new documentarian Cameron Crowe himself. At LA1, me and my buddy shared an escalator ride with him!! :shock:

But yeah I saw wear what you want to a show. I won't judge.
  • Who else is going to appreciate my 92 Drop in the Park tshirt than a true fan?
    "Worship the music, not the musician"
    EV
    4/16/92 ; 7/22/92 ; 9/20/92 ; 12/7/93 ; 6/7/95 ; 9/14/96 ; 9/16/96 ; 9/1/98 ; 11/2/00 ; 10/22/01 ; 12/6/02 ; 12/8/02 ; 5/30/03 ; 7/6/03 ; 7/8/03 ; 7/9/03 ; 10/22/03 ; 11/24/03 ; 9/1/05 ; 9/2/05 ; 7/9/06 ; 7/10/06 ; 7/22/06 ; 7/23/06 ; 8/22/2009 ; 8/23/2009 ; 9/21/2009 ; 9/22/2009 ; 9/3/2011 ; 9/4/2011
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I thought the same thing to wear it or not? I said yes and wore PJ shirts 3 out of 4 nights. FIgured you know what this is my equivalent to team playing in the big game and that I would proufly let my freak flag fly :)

Stuff this for a joke. I'll flamin well wear whatever I please, and if that means I want to break out a different PJ t for each show I'm going to, then I'm going to do that regardless of what anyone else thinks. I have 8 different ts and plan on wearing 4 of them to the shows I'm going to. I couldnt give a shit what anyone else thinks. My daughter's probably going to wear her avocado t, she only has the one and she'll want to wear it. And I'm going to buy a new one at the first show I go to.
  • when I was young and ignorant, I used to think it was uncool to wear a band's shirt to their concert.

then I grew up. :lol:

like the last guy said, the next time I see PJ, I'll be sporting my 1993 Canadian tour shirt (the one that says Winnipeg by mistake, but really the show was in Gimli).
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Who else is going to appreciate my 92 Drop in the Park tshirt than a true fan?

you were at drop in the park? JERK. ;)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    A FOTO PLEASE??
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    I cant decide what tee to wear in 10days time.....might be the one they are selling at the merch
    tent b4 the show.....:)
    At the moment my favourite tee is the Ev solo tour one...its so comfy.....it will probably be that....:)
  • aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    Anyway who said there was a rule about this anyway....
    Rules are meant to be broken imo :)
  • This stupid.Wear your pj shirts to shows.I dont why people have a problem with this?
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Cool people wear Pearl jam shirts at Pearl Jam shows! 8-)

I got harassed at Hartford 08 :evil: but nothing will stop me from wearing what i want :twisted:

if wearing a pearl jam shirt at a pearl jam show is cool... than consider me miles davis!

Right? Call me the Fonzie McIceCube of PJ shows.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I wore my red "Patriot" Boston VFC tshirt from 2004 to Philly 4.

I shedded it for the new Philly sports PJ tee I bought at the show.

the other shows I did not wear PJ gear, but it wasnt intentional
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,857
    who cares? Wear whatever you want.

I wear my get right shirt to every show, because its comfy and matches my many outfits.

:lol::lol:
  • With all due respect you can go screw yourself. I'll wear my pearl jam shirt wherever I please, and I don't need your approval to do so.

I could give a rats ass what others think of me. I'm there to watch pearl jam, not to impress anyone. Take this bullshit somewhere else.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I wore my red "Patriot" Boston VFC tshirt from 2004 to Philly 4.

I shedded it for the new Philly sports PJ tee I bought at the show.

the other shows I did not wear PJ gear, but it wasnt intentional

I wore my "From The Ashes Of Lies The Truth Shall Rise" Boston '04 VFC shirt to Philly 4 :)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • commando is the best option in a pearl jam concert :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    :D:D:D This is quite possibly the daftest thing I've ever heard. I buy a T at any shows I go to but don't wear them at the shows. The London O2 crowd in August obviously didn't know about this rule... loads of shirts. And whoever mentioned the band not liking it, I imagine the guys look at the crowd and thinks of all those dollars.
  • RhinoJamRhinoJam Posts: 596
    People were asking where this rule comes from... I remember it from the movie "PC" with Jeremy Piven and David Spade etc...? Did it originate from anywhere else? Is it an old myth passed down from classic rock concerts of yore?
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • Scott36 wrote:
    There's an old rule that you never wear a band's shirt to their concerts. PJ fans seem to disregard this completely! Any particular reason? If you're at the show, why do you need to be wearing a PJ shirt? Just curious.

Dear Scott36,

I believe you are getting your digital nuts kicked in.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    RhinoJam wrote:
    Is it an old myth passed down from classic rock concerts of yore?
    Do you mean from those legendary shows by Ye Olde Pearl Jam Travelling Minstrels, the great, great, great, great grandfathers of grunge.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    BinFrog wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I
    I wore my "From The Ashes Of Lies The Truth Shall Rise" Boston '04 VFC shirt to Philly 4 :)

I use mine as a wristband..

man those were cheap-ass shrinking fabric..

they should make all the shirts out of the same material as the "Get right" shirt IMO..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    locked wrote:

you know this was an awesome product..

PJ Thermal..

Mine is still in great shape!

Would love to see more of these..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    locked wrote:

you know this was an awesome product..

PJ Thermal..

Mine is still in great shape!

Would love to see more of these..

well done!
    8-)
    i bought that thermal for hubby - i LOVE it! however, he never wears it. :oops:
    i have bought at least one pj T for mr. dream from every show i've attended. he's probably got a bigger, more impressive collection of pj tour shirts from all over han many die-hards... :lol:

me, i don't even wear concert Ts in general...and threads like these make me want to start buyin em for myself, and wearing pj Ts to pj shows just to piss people off. i so enjoy pissing people off. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    and threads like these make me want to start buyin em for myself, and wearing pj Ts to pj shows just to piss people off. i so enjoy pissing people off. :mrgreen:

but then ignorant losers who are only interested in image will think you're not "cool"...and remember, everyone must act and dress like everyone else to be "cool" ;) :roll:
  • Pearl Jam Fact:
    Pearl Jam will airbrush other band's logo's from shirts when they publish pictures of their fans.
    I wore a Local H shirt which was airbrushed out in a copy of Deep Magazine. However, pearl jam shirts are left intact. I guess it's becuse of copyright laws?
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Is there a rule about the band wearing t-shirts of their opening bands!? Like Mike & Ed wearing Social D shirts?

I didn't wear PJ shirts in Philly (I was in a rush packing for Friday and Saturday) and I was sad. I particularly wanted my hoodie or my old Vitalogy long-sleeved top. I'm still high from those shows and still dreading the crash...

BTW, how much am I loving that I have that t-shirt Ed is wearing from Mansfield :D
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • nuffingman wrote:
    RhinoJam wrote:
    Is it an old myth passed down from classic rock concerts of yore?
    Do you mean from those legendary shows by Ye Olde Pearl Jam Travelling Minstrels, the great, great, great, great grandfathers of grunge.

Ah, yes...the Earls of Jam: Geoffrey of Ament, Maitias of Clan Cameron, Michael mac Riada, Eduard van Vedder, and Gossard the Stonemason & Carpenter. Featuring Sir Kenneth de Gaspar, Duke of Booooooommmmmmm.

Back then, they wanted you to wear the coat of arms of the kingdom, lest ye be an enemy of the Earls of Jam. :lol:
    Ryan DeRamos
    saw PJ live in 2006 and 2009; Stone in 2008!
    <a href="http://www.deramos.org">DeRamos.org Webcomic</a> & <a href="http://www.chorddujour.com">Chord du Jour Podcast</a> & <a href="http://twitter.com/deramos">Twitter</a&gt;
  • If it's cool with him, it's cool with me. :lol:

l_921be9ab5104f987e6e94ac76c664d6f.jpg

l_5eb0f695f14daefc88524f6556cba2d4.jpg