What's up with so many fans wearing PJ shirts to the shows?

Comments

• I always wear a pj shirt to shows and I see many who have bought a shirt there pull it on over what ever else they wore, (prob another pj shirt) I always love seeing the WMA shirts, I wanted one and they sold out before I got to the front of the line Sandy
  • Pearl Jam shirts are the new black.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Twixman wrote:
    norm wrote:
    old rule? :roll: a line from a average movie starring jeremy piven doesn't really constitute rule making

as to your concerns...who cares? it's a goddamn t-shirt

Good Catch Norm! I would have to say slightly below average movie.
    It was from PCU:
    Droz: What's this? You're wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy.
    WOW. Only in America... will you find people who take their real life social queues from fictional characters they see in motion pictures that are re-run on Saturday afternoons.
    I say... fuck those self-righteous, pretentious, indie-music wannabe fucking snobs and wear whatever the fuck you want. There are no rules... only freedom. Freedom to be a fucking geek in the eyes of mindless, incapable of coming up with an original thought, holier than thou tools. Get out there and whip that horse's ass with a belt... Rock on in London. Rock on Chicago. Wheaties, breakfast of champions.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Scott36Scott36 Posts: 109
    Okay, some interesting responses.

Figured some people would give the pissy responses (and they did), but that's cool. I agree, it doesn't affect me. I was just wondering. It does seem a little douchey or overly kiss-ass sometimes, but it's not really that big of a deal. I suppose if wearing a PJ shirt is what someone prefers, who am I to say they shouldn't? However, I do see a lot of different concerts by many different bands, and I have never seen a crowd at any other show wear nearly as many of the band's t-shirts as PJ fans do. Just strikes me as odd since everyone I know agrees about that so-called "rule" (really, it's more of a superstition almost), but maybe it's not as commonly followed as I thought.

One thing that's definitely missing from the "PJ scene" are unique fan designed t-shirts. Some people make really funny, creative shirts playing off a theme/song of the band and sell them in the lots at the shows. More PJ fans should do that! It would beat the hell out of paying $35 for the "official merchandise."
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited November 2009
    Evergreen wrote:
    Pearl Jam shirts are the new black.

Ok then, what are black pearl jam shirts? the new brown? ;)

Scott36

Like is said (jokingly) PPJTDD - can't talk about the upcoming shows anymore so people will talk about other stuff - anything to keep the fix going. Don't take the silly comments (including mine) personally.

But I don't think it is just at Pearl Jam shows where you see lots of 'home band' t-shirts...

KISS - I was one of the only people in MSG without a kiss t-shirt ($45) - and then you have all those who go the whole hog and dress as a kiss member.

AC/DC - I've never seen so many people wearing AC/DC t-shirts as at an AC/DC show or event.

Pearl Jam - yes again a high incidence of t-shirts.

I think this speaks more of the respect and admiration the fans have for the band and the entire experience. Love or hate any of the above bands, the fans see themselves as a community, the Kiss Army, AC/DC Bogans, Deadheads, Pearl Jammers (I will never ever refer to us using the J..ily word), and so on and so on. It is a sense of belonging to something greater than just a band or a concert, it is a movement a way of life, maybe even a cult to some.

Cameron Crow gave the protagonist and the 'band aides' some pretty good lines in 'Almost Famous' about the experience of being a 'true fan'. This does not mean you have to go to these lengths to like or respect a band, but when a band gives a huge number of people a life changing/saving moment or reason to live, a very strong bond is established. For some this will be the reason behind the t-shirts or tattoos or whatever.

To see some of the great conversations and arguements on here shows despite our diffferences we share something special in common, I think the t-shirts at shows is an extension of that.

Peace!
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • I wear pj socks and shirts. and if it cold a pj sweatshirt.
  • Here's an idea---> Why care what other people are wearing? Instead of judging them by their shit, Pearl Jam or not, introduce yourself and say 'hey'. Everyone is there for the same reasons and its not to be critized for their fashion choices. Myabe everyone should grow up a bit and learn that there is nothing wrong with showing a little support for the band.

And, even if you hate it when people wear the t-shirt of the band that you will be seeing, why make up a thread about it? Who cares!!!!!!!!!!
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    get a life :roll:
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • I love seeing all the different PJ shirts that people wear. I wore my Yield given to fly tour shirt to Seattle and Portland this year. I mean where else are you going to see cool old PJ shirts around?

Now if Eddie came out on stage wearing a stickman shirt, that would be different. :lol:
  • Evergreen wrote:
    Pearl Jam shirts are the new black.

Ok then, what are black pearl jam shirts? the new brown? ;)

Scott36

Like is said (jokingly) PPJTDD - can't talk about the upcoming shows anymore so people will talk about other stuff - anything to keep the fix going. Don't take the silly comments (including mine) personally.

But I don't think it is just at Pearl Jam shows where you see lots of 'home band' t-shirts...

KISS - I was one of the only people in MSG without a kiss t-shirt ($45) - and then you have all those who go the whole hog and dress as a kiss member.

AC/DC - I've never seen so many people wearing AC/DC t-shirts as at an AC/DC show or event.

Pearl Jam - yes again a high incidence of t-shirts.

I think this speaks more of the respect and admiration the fans have for the band and the entire experience. Love or hate any of the above bands, the fans see themselves as a community, the Kiss Army, AC/DC Bogans, Deadheads, Pearl Jammers (I will never ever refer to us using the J..ily word), and so on and so on. It is a sense of belonging to something greater than just a band or a concert, it is a movement a way of life, maybe even a cult to some.

Cameron Crow gave the protagonist and the 'band aides' some pretty good lines in 'Almost Famous' about the experience of being a 'true fan'. This does not mean you have to go to these lengths to like or respect a band, but when a band gives a huge number of people a life changing/saving moment or reason to live, a very strong bond is established. For some this will be the reason behind the t-shirts or tattoos or whatever.

To see some of the great conversations and arguements on here shows despite our diffferences we share something special in common, I think the t-shirts at shows is an extension of that.

Peace!

Great answer!

To be honest, I had never heard of this 'so-called' rule until I started hanging out on this board. But then, I've always been kind of a free-spirit and have always dressed in a manner that makes me feel comfortable and not how I was 'supposed' to dress ;):D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Scott36 wrote:
    There's an old rule that you never wear a band's shirt to their concerts. PJ fans seem to disregard this completely! Any particular reason? If you're at the show, why do you need to be wearing a PJ shirt? Just curious.
    That "band shirt" rule only applies to shitty bands.

Band tees are pretty much the only acceptable apparel to a rock concert and who could represent an inferior band at a PJ show (unless you were trying to be extremely ironic).
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Why can sports fans wear the team shirt? But when it comes to music, you can't support your band? Fuckin Stupid!!!!!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Scott36 wrote:
    However, I do see a lot of different concerts by many different bands, and I have never seen a crowd at any other show wear nearly as many of the band's t-shirts as PJ fans do.

Guess you haven't been to a NIN show then. I've seen people dressed up as NIN album covers
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Cosmo...I think I love you.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Cosmo wrote:
    Twixman wrote:
    norm wrote:
    old rule? :roll: a line from a average movie starring jeremy piven doesn't really constitute rule making

as to your concerns...who cares? it's a goddamn t-shirt

Good Catch Norm! I would have to say slightly below average movie.
    It was from PCU:
    Droz: What's this? You're wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy.
    WOW. Only in America... will you find people who take their real life social queues from fictional characters they see in motion pictures that are re-run on Saturday afternoons.
    I say... fuck those self-righteous, pretentious, indie-music wannabe fucking snobs and wear whatever the fuck you want. There are no rules... only freedom. Freedom to be a fucking geek in the eyes of mindless, incapable of coming up with an original thought, holier than thou tools. Get out there and whip that horse's ass with a belt... Rock on in London. Rock on Chicago. Wheaties, breakfast of champions.

Nothing more to say but +1!!!
    I'll ride this wave ... 
  • Scott36 wrote:
    One thing that's definitely missing from the "PJ scene" are unique fan designed t-shirts. Some people make really funny, creative shirts playing off a theme/song of the band and sell them in the lots at the shows. More PJ fans should do that! It would beat the hell out of paying $35 for the "official merchandise."

I think my favorite one I saw at a PJ concert was a picture of a little stick figure Jesus laying in a manger with the heading "Even Jesus Thinks Creed Sucks"
    I'll ride this wave ... 
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Every six months or so this question comes up and every time it is the the stupidest thing on the board.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • I wore the shirt I got at the Vic(superman) to Seattle and someone asked if I made it myself. :lol:
    I was always against wearing Pj shirts to the show, now I love it.
    I also thought it was Wayne or Garth that made up the rule.
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • DempsDemps Posts: 102
    Scott36 wrote:
    There's an old rule that you never wear a band's shirt to their concerts. PJ fans seem to disregard this completely! Any particular reason? If you're at the show, why do you need to be wearing a PJ shirt? Just curious.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but most of us are pretty huge dorks in one way or another.
    I suggest you step out on your porch...run away my son...see it all...oh see the world // I wait on the porch...hoping someday I'll be let in

Springfield, MA 4/6/94 -- Boston, MA 4/11/94 -- Hartford, CT 10/2/96 -- Hartford, CT 9/13/98 -- Mansfield, MA 7/2/03 -- Reading, PA 10/1/04 -- Albany, NY 5/12/06 -- Milwaukee, WI 6/29/06 -- Mansfield, MA 6/30/08 -- Toronto, ON 9/21/09 -- Philadelphia, PA 10/31/09 -- Worcester, MA 10/16/13 -- Hartford, CT 10/25/13 -- New York, NY 9/26/15 -- New York, NY 5/2/16 -- Boston, MA 8/5/16 -- Boston, MA 8/7/16 -- Boston, MA 9/2/18 -- Boston, MA 9/4/18 -- London, UK 7/8/22 -- Hamilton, ON 9/6/22 -- Toronto, ON 9/8/22 -- New York, NY 9/11/22 -- Chicago, IL 9/5/23 -- Chicago, IL 9/7/23 -- New York, NY 9/3/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/7/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/9/24
  • jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    I had never even heard about this rule till right now. Seems kind of pointless to me, but to each their own. I think I will use my general rule of thumb and do what I want.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    the one and only time i've seen pearl jam i was wearing a pj tshirt.. the red one with the boys in yellow tuxes with ed's mouth ducttaped. no one beat me up and eddie didn't spit on me so i figured i was ok. but someone did tell me it was poor form when i wore a soundgarden shirt to an sg show. i didn't get it then, i don't get it now.

maybe i'll wear my ITW shirt.. maybe i won't. WHO KNOWS!?
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    Demps wrote:
    Scott36 wrote:

Maybe you haven't noticed, but most of us are pretty huge dorks in one way or another.

there you go. he speaks the truth. the good kinds of pearl jam fans are almost always nerds*. it's what makes us lovable.

*we've also established there are douchey pj fans. what can you do.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,573
    Scott36 wrote:

sorry, i've never heard of this rule before. :|
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I broke the tshirt rule a few times, but I always remain faithful to the one about never listening to the band the day of the show. It's more about putting yourself through hell before being sent to heaven though.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• i pretty much always rock a pj shirt to a pj show. i like to wear (and i like seeing people wearing) show specific shirts and tour specific shirts...its a good way to get conversations going. like, if i'm seeing a show in cali and i see a dude in a vote for change tour shirt....that guy obviously goes around to see the band. you can kinda see who the lifers are.

i had a really nice conversation with some guy in manchester this year because he commented on my boston 04 shirt.....its nice to trade war stories when you're waiting for the band to come out or waiting to leave the arena.

oh yea, wear whatever you want.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    i am the best fan.
  • I do it cause I never go anywhere else to sport my PJ gear. HA! :oops:
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Scott36 wrote:

I guess you werent at Bonnaroo! You shoulda seen the massive amounts of Metallica shirts. It was unreal... I might have seen 15 or so PJ shirts... Maybe thats why Metallica sucked it up and PJ put on one of the best shows to date.... :!:
  • the good thing for you is that since everyone else is wearing their pearl jam shirts your the coolest guy at the show.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Scott36 wrote:
    Maybe because that has never really been the rule. It was just from a movie, and it is a pretty stupid idea. A) It is a rock concert and there shouldn't be anyone worrying about what others are wearing. And B) wear your fucking rock shirts, even for the band you are seeing, and rock the fuck out.

Anything beyond that, and you are putting way too much thought into it.