PJ Joins Campaign to close Gitmo

Comments

• joe2468 wrote:
    i hate shit like this....HEY ED DONT RUIN next weeks shows with this banter bullshit.....

KILL EM ALL...rip there toes off and feed them to sharks.........

lost 5 friends to 911
    lost 7 friends in the war.....
    Irak...Avganistan...Bietnam..Serbia...people die..both sides..WAR IS A BAD THING...My country is allies with USA..im in Airforce..i fuckin know what guns AND bombs do...try to find ways for PEACE..is the only way...trying to be the big policeman of the world....having place like Gitmo...the result is only one:
    BLOOD - DEATH

And one day u will get it...9/11 was an INSIDE JOB

GIVE PEACE A FUCKIN CHANCE
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited October 2009
    another Pearl Jam cause that sucks to put it lightly

seriously guys what are you thinking?

how about we put these terrorist in Ed, Stone's, Jeff's, and Matt's backyard then lets see if they are joining this cause

i really try to look beyond all the politics but it just keeps getting worse and worse

all the rock bands coming together in support of the terrorist, gimme a freakin break

human rights? putting some water on someone's face to make them talk thats torture, how about we makes them listen to Riot Act on replay over and over
    Post edited by pjalive21 on

• Why cant these guys just ask me to donate $2 for some kid who is hungry???? Or $5 for some kid who needs medication??? Or $5 for some kid who needs a toy on Christmas????
    I hope they do that Speedy
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,031
    TBH, they should be supporting shutting that place down regardless of whether music was being used as a torture device...
    Nature drunk and High
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Let's just be clear --the release says "soundtrack for torutre" and within about the first five posts it's come to -- "Using Music to Torture People...."

I get the sleep deprivation aspect of it -- play music to keep 'em awake and agitated. We've settled that issue as torture?

I look forward to the day when Gitmo and its ilk aren't needed.
    [sic] happens
  • Fuck guys, this is not America v Europe v the world. It is about decency, it's about respect of human rights, it's about good values and ethics. I don't like everything America stands for or has done, I don't like everything Australia stands for or has done, nor the UK, France, Italy etc etc etc. But i know deep down we (the people, not the governments) all share similar values and respect for freedom and similar desires for happiness and peace. The fact we have differences needs to be respected, not used as a vedge to show up one as better or worse than the other.

I am widely travelled, I would not choose to live in the USA if I had the chance, but I respect its achievements and also notice it's deficiencies. I love visiting the country and generally admire and respect Americans. I would not live in Europe or the UK (maybe Amsterdam - hehe). I would never live anywhere else but Australia - that is my preference but I respect someone who has a different prefernce for reasons that suit them.

I have a right to an opinion - but it is just my opinion based on my exeriences, knowledge and attitudes. We all have that right, and good luck to you all.
    well said...stupid people are everywhere...no matter where...
    PEACE
  • I understand where making people listen to Riot Act for 24 hours would be considered torture.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • pjalive21 wrote:

how about we put these terrorist in Ed, Stone's, Jeff's, and Matt's backyard then lets see if they are joining this cause

i really try to look beyond all the politics but it just keeps getting worse and worse

all the rock bands coming together in support of the terrorist, gimme a freakin break

human rights? putting some water on someone's face to make them talk thats torture, how about we makes them listen to Riot Act on replay over and over
    I HOPE YOUR EYES WILL NOT SEE AND YOUR SOUL DONT FEEL THIS WATERPLAY U TALKING..
    COUSE IF THIS HAPPEN THE WORD "HUMAN" WILL BE ERASE FOR EVER FROM YOUR MIND..
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    joe2468 wrote:
    i hate shit like this....HEY ED DONT RUIN next weeks shows with this banter bullshit.....

KILL EM ALL...rip there toes off and feed them to sharks.........

lost 5 friends to 911
    lost 7 friends in the war.....
    Irak...Avganistan...Bietnam..Serbia...people die..both sides..WAR IS A BAD THING...My country is allies with USA..im in Airforce..i fuckin know what guns AND bombs do...try to find ways for PEACE..is the only way...trying to be the big policeman of the world....having place like Gitmo...the result is only one:
    BLOOD - DEATH

And one day u will get it...9/11 was an INSIDE JOB

GIVE PEACE A FUCKIN CHANCE

I like what you said...up till "9/11 was an INSIDE JOB" which I believe is 100% BS.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    pjalive21 wrote:

I HOPE YOUR EYES WILL NOT SEE AND YOUR SOUL DONT FEEL THIS WATERPLAY U TALKING..

please save your propaganda poetry for someone else...let Greece step up and take these people from Gitmo...i dont want them using my tax money to fight their court fees and i dont want them in our country our in my state

its amazing how many of you back closing Gitmo but none of your countries will step up and accept them and use your money to help fight their legal woes..its hypocrisy at its finest

some of you live in a time when everyone can hold hands and sing love songs but ignore the fact there is evil out there that doesnt care about peace and no matter what America does or doesnt do these people will forever exist and no matter what kind of America bashing anyone can come up with can deny the fact terrorism, evil , whatever you wanna call it will exist..there is no such thing as world peace..accept it now
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    edited October 2009
    weak.

I do want to save the salmon though....thanks Stone!
    Post edited by usamamasan1 on
  • jwhite173jwhite173 Posts: 61
    edited October 2009
    I think I'm starting to figure this out finally...

Sure, opposing/closing GITMO is the liberal cause flavor of the day.

But don't be confused, the artist is least concerned with the inmates and most concerned with their music.

In this case, they don't want their music associated with anything related to the military, defense, war on terror, Republican, conservative, etc (much like Sarah Palin used Barracuda during the election).

It just isn't cool! :roll:
    Post edited by jwhite173 on
  • pjalive21 wrote:

please save your propaganda poetry for someone else...let Greece step up and take these people from Gitmo...i dont want them using my tax money to fight their court fees and i dont want them in our country our in my state

its amazing how many of you back closing Gitmo but none of your countries will step up and accept them and use your money to help fight their legal woes..its hypocrisy at its finest

some of you live in a time when everyone can hold hands and sing love songs but ignore the fact there is evil out there that doesnt care about peace and no matter what America does or doesnt do these people will forever exist and no matter what kind of America bashing anyone can come up with can deny the fact terrorism, evil , whatever you wanna call it will exist..there is no such thing as world peace..accept it now

+1
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    It's interesting to see posts on here and other places PJ made this announcement with people stating that they think PJ should "shut up and sing" or "their politics suck". Have people really forgotten that PJ has always been involved in social and political issues? Have the new audience they're attracting not realize that the band always has and probably will be involved in speaking out against war and social justice?

This latest about shutting down Gitmo, esp. because their music may be involved in torture, fits right in line with their values, and I do wonder about the new fans and why they would rather turn a blind eye to the entire Gitmo issue, and why PJ is involved, and would rather stand indifferent on the whole thing. Disregarding the issues is pretending it doesn't exist. The band is simply spreading the word to be aware of the inhumane injustices going on (and have been going on at Gitmo), so really, the defiant need to say this is wrong without fully educating ourselves on the issue...is ignorant. Indifference is the essence of inhumanity.
  • pjalive21 wrote:
    pjalive21 wrote:

my propaganda dont kill "terrorist" familys..bombs did...and your tax money pay for those guns..those people in Gitmo dont choose from a travel agency destinaton Gitmo for their vacation,someone arrest them and put them there...with no evidance.....oups..Empires dont need any...
    Usa is now the empire..always in history they do the same..Usa now,russia before,UK Persia,Greece,Rome,Egypt,Germany...its always the same...

i sure for one thing..WE are more the ones that want Peace instead of eye for an eye..
    and if there is no such a thing called world peace i prefer to dream of it insted of accept this "im the big power right now and ill fucking kill u the way i want if u dont give me your oil,your water,your money
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    bosshogg18 wrote:
    boooooooooooo. If people want Gitmo closed then that is their opinion and the bands opinion. I for one don't see anything wrong with the way "terrorists" are treated. How do these "terrorists" treat people? Bomb and kill thousands of innocent people. Sounds like we should give them a tempra-pedic bed and a plasma screen in their cells so they are comfortable.

you obviously never saw that movie with Jake Gyllenhal and Reese Witherspoon, based on a true story, where an innocent Arab-American man was wrongfully tortured because of wrong information. If its happened once, it can happen again, and probably has many times in the past there. damn I wish I could remember the name. will post it later.

got the cause posted on my facebook.

Add to this those who were killed in secret prisons elsewhere. How many were unjustly detained because people were paid to turn over terrorists and then turned over their enemies, rivals or randoms for the money.

Pol Pot said he'd happily see ten innocent men executed than let one guilty man go free. I would have thought we were better than this. If you embrace freedom and justice, you must also embrace it for your enemies. I have no issue with locking away for life a terrorist and in no way support their actions, but to lower ourselves to their level makes us little better than them. Only through justice and compassion for all - even those who would wish evil on us, do we rise to a higher plane. I am no Christian, but I believe Christian teachings embrace such ethics.

How did we lower ourselves to their level ? I do not believe we chopped off heads and filmed it for everyone to see.
    Compassion for people who wish evil on us will only get YOU killed.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
    Fuck guys, this is not America v Europe v the world. It is about decency, it's about respect of human rights, it's about good values and ethics. I don't like everything America stands for or has done, I don't like everything Australia stands for or has done, nor the UK, France, Italy etc etc etc. But i know deep down we (the people, not the governments) all share similar values and respect for freedom and similar desires for happiness and peace. The fact we have differences needs to be respected, not used as a vedge to show up one as better or worse than the other.

I am widely travelled, I would not choose to live in the USA if I had the chance, but I respect its achievements and also notice it's deficiencies. I love visiting the country and generally admire and respect Americans. I would not live in Europe or the UK (maybe Amsterdam - hehe). I would never live anywhere else but Australia - that is my preference but I respect someone who has a different prefernce for reasons that suit them.

I have a right to an opinion - but it is just my opinion based on my exeriences, knowledge and attitudes. We all have that right, and good luck to you all.

The difference the Muslim extremists have between you and him is,they would like to see you dead.
    They do not give a shit about you, your values, or your ethics.
    So,go ahead and respect their human rights.I'm sure they will feel the same about yours. :roll:
  • Jeanwah wrote:
    ...esp. because their music may be involved in torture

MUSIC ISN'T TORTURE!!!!!
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    RoughMix wrote:
    Fuck guys, this is not America v Europe v the world. It is about decency, it's about respect of human rights, it's about good values and ethics. I don't like everything America stands for or has done, I don't like everything Australia stands for or has done, nor the UK, France, Italy etc etc etc. But i know deep down we (the people, not the governments) all share similar values and respect for freedom and similar desires for happiness and peace. The fact we have differences needs to be respected, not used as a vedge to show up one as better or worse than the other.

The difference the Muslim extremists have between you and him is,they would like to see you dead.
    They do not give a shit about you, your values, or your ethics.
    So,go ahead and respect their human rights.I'm sure they will feel the same about yours. :roll:

Human rights are human rights - because your behaviour is sub-human, does not make you sub-human - it makes you deserving of incaseration - after being found guilty in a fair trial. I never said locking away for life a confirmed terrorist is wrong - I said we should hold up our morals and treat them as we wish to be treated. GITMO contained and still contains many people who are not terrorists and people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time - ie innocents. What about their human rights?

All sides have extremists in their midst - it is these people who damage us all and who need to be dealt with. These criminals demean and endanger us all. I feel no sympathy or compassion for them, but respect their right to an opinion and if they do something wrong - a fair trial and then swift and even justice. That is not happening. I for one would hate to be arrested and held without trial indefinately and tortured. GITMO is not the only example of this in world history. The Germans did it to the Jews, yes Muslim extremists do it to their captives, Russian Gulags are another example. Zimbabwe, Burma, China and other countries also shame us all. No matter where in the world this injustice lies, it should be rooted out and stopped. We cannot lecture other countries on how they should live, if we commit the same 'crimes'.

For the records, I do belive KSM, Hambali, OBL etc should be tried and if found guilty, locked away forever. I am concerned for the innocent in these places and the way we treat those found guilty. I fully support Pearl Jam in this as I supported them in the 'Not In My Name' campaign against the death penalty.
  • KatKat Posts: 4,845
    Huffington Post
    Jon Soltz: Why Musicians Are Right, Liz Cheney Is Wrong
    Jon Soltz , Co-Founder of VoteVets.org, served as a Captain in Operation Iraqi Freedom
    Posted: October 23, 2009

Why Musicians Are Right, Liz Cheney Is Wrong

What's Your Reaction?

Yesterday, a coalition of US and international musicians, including Trent Reznor, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, Jackson
    Browne, Rise Against, Rosanne Cash, Billy Bragg and the Roots announced they were joining the National
    Campaign to Close Guantanamo, of which VoteVets.org is a part.

The musicians called for the close of the detention facility at Guantanamo, and issued a Freedom of
    Information Act request to find out how their own music was used in conjunction with torture.

Almost immediately, Liz Cheney and her neocon group "Keep America Safe" responded by calling the efforts "pathetic" and "laughable."

No, what's laughable is that Liz Cheney and her cronies think they can lecture a group that includes veterans on the harm that Gitmo has done to our troops and our own security. What's pathetic is that by lobbying to keep Gitmo open, Liz Cheney's group is helping keep alive one of the greatest recruiting posters that al Qaeda ever had, yet they dare call themselves "Keep America Safe." They might as well call it "Keep al Qaeda Recruiting."

In response to Cheney, Matthew Alexander, a former senior interrogator, said, "Guantanamo Bay remains an effective recruiting tool for Al Qaida to this day. The longer it remains open, the longer we'll fail to do all we can to protect ourselves from terrorist attacks. It is the epitome of everything we could have done wrong in the fight against Islamic extremism -- unlawful detentions without charge and torture and abuse. We can only defeat ourselves in this battle, and Guantanamo Bay was, and remains, a big step in that direction."

Hmmm... Liz Cheney who never performed an interrogation in her life, or a guy who did it for a living? Who
    has the cred here?

Matthew's position was echoed before, by VoteVets.org's Jay Bagwell, a former counterintelligence agent in Afghanistan. Bagwell, in a video recorded previously for VoteVets.org, "Torture makes our troops less safe.
    Torture creates terrorists. It's used so widely as a propaganda tool, now. In Afghanistan, all too often detainees had pamphlets on them depicting what happened at Guantanamo."

This one is tough. Liz Cheney or a guy who dealt with detainees in Afghanistan? Who do you trust more on
    what makes them tick?

The fact of the matter is that Guantanamo hurts our troops and makes America less safe. It has created
    enemies, some of whom surely went on to harm or kill American troops. It's time to stand up to the Cheneys, and close Guantanamo. You can help. Join Matthew, Jay, and the veterans at VoteVets.org by signing our petition to Congress, here. http://ga3.org/campaign/CloseGitmo/

Follow Jon Soltz on Twitter: www.twitter.com/jonsoltz

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-soltz ... 31647.html
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • For the records, I do belive KSM, Hambali, OBL etc should be tried and if found guilty, locked away forever. I am concerned for the innocent in these places and the way we treat those found guilty. I fully support Pearl Jam in this as I supported them in the 'Not In My Name' campaign against the death penalty.
    better ten guilty persons out of prison, instead of one innocent behind bars
  • Okay... so let's close GITMO. And let's release every single one we don't have proof is a terrorist... Happy?

Now, what do we do with the rest of them? I'm not going to let you release them too.

I'm sure Seattle has a prison with plenty of room. Let's put them there. Let's put them in the prisons of towns of all of these artists.

See, that's the thing. Liberals can criticize all day long against failed policies they don't agree with. But how about offering some solutions.

Don't have any? Then let your elected government handle it.

Another Target commerical will sell more copies of Backspacer than a press release like this. Guess it would cost the band more though.
    keep on posting about how bad Gitmo is.Blah,blah,blah.
    The truth is there are only 245 remaing prisoners it Gitmo.
    These are the bad guys from al qaeda and other groups.
    There is a reason why there hasn't been a terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 2001.
    Also,wait until you hear the uproar when some of these people who want to close gitmo, find out these prisoners/detainees will be housed in their state prisons.
    Not in my backyard!
  • Kat wrote:
    The fact of the matter is that Guantanamo hurts our troops and makes America less safe. It has created enemies, some of whom surely went on to harm or kill American troops.l
    for me, this is 1000% correct..eye for eye doesnt get u anywhere..u dont know how many countries hate America just for that..keep making enemies wqithout a reason is not smart.....and never a president of Usa or a leader of al quada is dead..the ones give the orders..always innocent people end up 2 metres under the ground..
  • Kat wrote:
    The fact of the matter is that Guantanamo hurts our troops and makes America less safe. It has created enemies, some of whom surely went on to harm or kill American troops.l
    for me, this is 1000% correct..eye for eye doesnt get u anywhere..u dont know how many countries hate America just for that..keep making enemies wqithout a reason is not smart.....and never a president of Usa or a leader of al quada is dead..the ones give the orders..always innocent people end up 2 metres under the ground..

Can we keep convicted terrorists in Greece? Or should we just release them all? Maybe they'll come visit your country and bring peace and goodwill to all your friends and family.
  • jwhite173 wrote:
    Can we keep convicted terrorists in Greece? Or should we just release them all? Maybe they'll come visit your country and bring peace and goodwill to all your friends and family.

we dont bomb there houses in Greece....we have America and Middle east countrys friends. we are a peacefull country....the terrorist here(we have some internal one) are in jail after a trial....with evidence,dna ,finger print,the guns and stuff....ill give u an exable for my country that happen last night..
    a police man slap a citizen with no reason in the street...u know what happen?..the goverment sent the chief of police out of the force to his home...noone that have the power have the right to do what the hell he want.
    arrest people,put them in court and put them in jail for ever..if they are guilty..torture them for make them feel fear or becouse of what they believe is not the right option
  • PJ has the right to support what ever cause they choose, however this is a huge disappointment to me. There are so many other issues the band could focus on, it's sad to see their hatred of Bush take them over. I too was so sick of the crazy speeches during concerts, however I made the best of it and turned those 5 minute rants into bathroom breaks, because I sure as hell wasn't going to miss a song. Yes, I know a lot of their songs are political, but that's what I paid for, not Ed's speeches using soldiers coffins as his soapbox. I wish they could see it from a fans point of view and see what they are doing to their fans...one minute you're singing along, happy as can be, to be at a PJ show, sharing smiles and cheers with your fellow fans. Next thing you know Ed is foaming at the mouth and the unity the fans have goes to shit as the person next to you has a different opinion than you, and you spend the rest of the night giving shit looks to the ahole that keeps elbowing you while jumping up and down instead of the high fives you were giving 10 minutes before. I wish PJ would realize fame doesn't equal wisdom. Oh well, to each their own.
  • Nobody is suggesting that we should free, or even be "nice" to terrorists! The individuals being held at Gitmo are suspected, not convicted, of committing crimes. Should they be freed? No!! They should be tried, locked up forever if found guilty, set free if found not guilty.

What is so hard to understand about that?

How is transferring these people to maximum security prisons on U.S. soil "being nice" to them? Are you all aware that there are international laws governing the handling of prisoners of war? Perhaps you see this as "being nice to terrorists," but I see it as keeping our men and women in the armed forces just a little bit safer.

These are basic human rights and legal issues, and they have nothing to do with "liberalism."

Since we have a number of "How would you feel if...?" or "How would Ed feel if...?" comments on this thread, let me pose a different question to you:

How would you feel if, one day, your spouse went batshit crazy, decided s/he was sick of being married to you, and instead of calling a divorce attorney, chose to take a shortcut and go to the police, claiming that you had been bad-touching your children? How would you feel if the police showed up at your job and dragged your supposedly-child-molesting ass out of there in front of all of your co-workers, and hauled you off to jail?

How would you feel if you were left to sit in jail for ten years or so, without a trial, because everyone knows that if you have been accused of molesting your children, it must be true?? I mean, society hates pedophiles, and with good reason. Using the reasoning some of you are exercising, suspected = guilty.

Does that sound far-fetched?? It happened to a cousin of mine, who was able to get cleared of charges and tend to their wrecked life in a reasonable amount of time.

Locking up and torturing people who are guilty of no more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or of having pissed off the wrong person, is not making anyone safer. It is not helping to place the real criminals behind bars, and in all likelihood it is just creating more terrorists. I think we all agree that terrorism is evil. Why can we not agree on the need to find the actual terrorists and neutralize them, instead of just assuming that anyone who looks suspicious must be guilty?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Curmudgeoness' post is the first semi-sane argument I have read so far.

I just want to know which PJ song they played. I'm guessing it was Thumbing My Way although No More would have more ironic appeal.
  • I think waterboarding etc. is justified if we know for sure the person subjected to it has information that could save lives, if we do not have intelligence proving it though we shouldn't.

When it comes to closing GitMo I don't really care. I think there are far more important issues like the actual war, the economy etc.

What about the Japanese guards who were executed by the US as war criminals for waterboarding US troops during interorgations during WW2? To use your argument, were they not then justified given the USA used a weapon of mass destruction on two Japanese cities but exectuted none the less? Again, I am well aware the Japanese Imperial Forces conductd numerous atrocities agasint American and Australian troops than can never be excused.
    We should be trying to save as many American lives as possible during this war, whether it's hypocritical or not. I want our boys safe over there no matter what. Like I said I don't want people water boarded who most likely do not have information that could save lives, I think there are some situations where we should use it if it being done with assurances that the person it is being done to has information that will save American lives.