PJ Joins Campaign to close Gitmo

SeaSea Posts: 3,013
edited December 2009 in The Porch

A coalition of US and international musicians, including Trent Reznor, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, Jackson Brown, Rise Against, Rosanne Cash, Billy Bragg and the Roots today announced they were joining the National Campaign to Close Guantanamo—a campaign led by retired Generals Robert Gard, John Johns, former member of Congress, Tom Andrews, and Vote Vets Chairman and Iraq War veteran, Jon Soltz. The musicians also launched a formal protest of the use of music used in conjunction with torture that took place at the prison and other facilities and announced they would seek the declassification of all secret government records pertaining to how music was utilized as an interrogation device.

"As Americans, many of us were alarmed and ashamed to learn what happened at Guantanamo in our names. For musicians, it’s been made even more personal given that music was used as a sort of soundtrack for the torture that went on there. While we don’t believe our music was used in this way, we lend our voices in support of the musicians, Generals and American citizens who are calling for the closure of Guantanamo with the hope that it signals to the world a renewed commitment to a humane America."

- PJ

Gitmo-Bug-Black.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bosshogg18bosshogg18 Posts: 1,094
    boooooooooooo. If people want Gitmo closed then that is their opinion and the bands opinion. I for one don't see anything wrong with the way "terrorists" are treated. How do these "terrorists" treat people? Bomb and kill thousands of innocent people. Sounds like we should give them a tempra-pedic bed and a plasma screen in their cells so they are comfortable.
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    ZZZzzzzz.........

Move all the inmates to Hardin, MT!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Good.
    <3<3<3<3
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • this is a really good cause..this kind of places must not exist.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Sea,

Very important work people, respect to you.
    Post edited by tremors on
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Lets close it down. We mistreated those prisoners. Its not like they decapitate our soldiers or anything.
  • Isn't this old news? I remember Trent, of NIN, talking about this almost a year ago. Maybe it was just an awareness and not a campaign. Either way, music shouldn't be a way of torture. Anybody remember Clockwork Orange?
  • spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Re: PJ Joins Campaign to close Gitmo
    by bosshogg18 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 pm

boooooooooooo. If people want Gitmo closed then that is their opinion and the bands opinion. I for one don't see anything wrong with the way "terrorists" are treated. How do these "terrorists" treat people? Bomb and kill thousands of innocent people. Sounds like we should give them a tempra-pedic bed and a plasma screen in their cells so they are comfortable.

Yeah, but your opinion doesn't count as much as Pearl Jam's does because YOU'RE NOT IN A BAND WHOSE MUSIC IS BEING USED TO TORTURE PEOPLE!

Get it? Ya see, these bands OBJECT to their music being used to torture people...if YOU don't mind YOUR country torturing people in YOUR name then that is fine, BUT THE BANDS DO MIND..

that is the point of this post ... great to get your opinion on torture also though.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Some usual suspects there for sure.
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
    At spearhead. I shouldn't say that "I don't see anything wrong with it" I should have said I don't really care either way. Sure I wish that everyone could all get along and be peaceful, but I think many forget the horrible things these people have done...in most cases to innocent people.
    Also the band doesn't even know if their music is being used. Pretty sure it isn't because it is good...give them some Creed, then that would be inhumane.
    Seriously. I just people hope people think of the innocent lives that were taken by the hands of these scumbags when they think of treating these people nicely.
    Sea wrote:

A coalition of US and international musicians, including Trent Reznor, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, Jackson Brown, Rise Against, Rosanne Cash, Billy Bragg and the Roots today announced they were joining the National Campaign to Close Guantanamo—a campaign led by retired Generals Robert Gard, John Johns, former member of Congress, Tom Andrews, and Vote Vets Chairman and Iraq War veteran, Jon Soltz. The musicians also launched a formal protest of the use of music used in conjunction with torture that took place at the prison and other facilities and announced they would seek the declassification of all secret government records pertaining to how music was utilized as an interrogation device.

"As Americans, many of us were alarmed and ashamed to learn what happened at Guantanamo in our names. For musicians, it’s been made even more personal given that music was used as a sort of soundtrack for the torture that went on there. While we don’t believe our music was used in this way, we lend our voices in support of the musicians, Generals and American citizens who are calling for the closure of Guantanamo with the hope that it signals to the world a renewed commitment to a humane America."

- PJ
    Yeah, I hear ya bosshog ... I hate terrorists too, no doubt about that, but from all that I have read about GITMO, the REAL terrorists aren't there, and in fact, most of those at GITMO are FAR REMOVED from the truly guilty terrorists...and, even if they WERE the ones responsible for killing Americans, they should NOT be tortured, not in MY name and not in yours either....GITMO is a symbol, a BAD symbol, to the entire world, especially the Muslim world, of everything WRONG and MISGUIDED about bush's gwot

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
    Thanks spearhead for your response. I will be reading more into Gitmo to hear from both sides. Without a doubt there are terrible Americans who go way over the line on people...some may actually be innocent...wrong place at the wrong time. If that is the case, then that is terrible. I guess I am just not ready to feel merciful for some of these unmerciful people. I am willing to keep my eyes open and change my opinion if need be, which is more than I can say for a lot of people.
  • These people are all being held without benefit of trial. I'm sure some are guilty but just as many are innocent "Suspects", whose crime is nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Close it down!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,709
    spearhead wrote:

Yeah, but your opinion doesn't count as much as Pearl Jam's does because YOU'RE NOT IN A BAND WHOSE MUSIC IS BEING USED TO TORTURE PEOPLE!

Perhaps you missed this part:
    Sea wrote:
    While we don’t believe our music was used in this way,

Everyone's opinion counts.
    Just because someone's opinion is different from yours doesn't make it invalid.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:
    spearhead wrote:

Perhaps you missed this part:
    Sea wrote:
    While we don’t believe our music was used in this way,

Everyone's opinion counts.
    Just because someone's opinion is different from yours doesn't make it invalid.

Couldn't agree with you more

• +1

...I´m very sure that after jan/feb/mar/ of 2010, Guantamo is going to be history.....
    From Montevideo, Uruguay.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Great to hear this news. CLOSE GITMO!
  • These people are all being held without benefit of trial. I'm sure some are guilty but just as many are innocent "Suspects", whose crime is nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Close it down!

This is the key issue. These people have been sitting there for years in legal limbo. Unfortunately, as time drags on, evidence on either side will degrade...witnesses die, memories fade...so I'm not even sure you could conduct a meaningful trial at this point.

That said I can't imagine any situation where I would think it's okay to hold a prisoner indefinitely without ever giving them the opportunity to defend themselves in court.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Gitmo is great at recruiting more terrorists and a symbol to the world how fucked up the US is.

Only good comes from closing down that place down. The campaign of fear needs to end.
  • elle74elle74 Posts: 58
    This is stupid. These are low life ANIMALS and we feel BAD for them :?: I don't get the liberal agenda at all. Funny how Mr. Prez. B.O. has been promising to close the place but cannot... And how the other countries are too self righteous to take any prisoners? Thanks Guys....if it wasn't for America, many countries would be drastically different today. These guys are going to get off scott-free and get back into the world of global terror all because of circumstantial evidence. Way to go everyone....good job. Wait till we get reamed in the ass again....then we'll see how everyone's tune changes.
    Shows: * Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24, 2000 * Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003 * PNC Bank Arts Center - Jul 14, 2003 * Continental Arena - Jun 01, 2006 * Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008 * Madison Square Garden - Jun 25, 2008 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 27, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 28, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 30, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 31, 2009 * The Prudential Center - May 18, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010 * Philadelphia, PA Made in America Sept 2, 2012 * Barclays Center - Oct 19, 2013 * Barclays Center - Oct 20, 2013
    EV Solo Shows: * NJPAC Newark, New Jersey - 08/07/2008 * Tower Theater Upper Darby, Pennsylvania - 06/12/2009 * Lyric Opera House, Baltimore, Maryland - 06/14/2009 * Beacon Theatre, New York, New York - 6/21/2011 * Beacon Theatre, New York, New York - 6/22/2011 * Tower Theater Upper Darby, Pennsylvania - 6/25/2011 *
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    elle74 wrote:
    This is stupid. These are low life ANIMALS and we feel BAD for them :?: I don't get the liberal agenda at all. Funny how Mr. Prez. B.O. has been promising to close the place but cannot... And how the other countries are too self righteous to take any prisoners? Thanks Guys....if it wasn't for America, many countries would be drastically different today. These guys are going to get off scott-free and get back into the world of global terror all because of circumstantial evidence. Way to go everyone....good job. Wait till we get reamed in the ass again....then we'll see how everyone's tune changes.

Who are all these animals?
  • JR8805JR8805 Posts: 169
    edited October 2009
    Lets close it down. We mistreated those prisoners. Its not like they decapitate our soldiers or anything.

We should close it down, and we have mistreated those prisoners. The guilty and the just unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am really against bad treatment of others because it is beyond stupid. If we are seen as torturers, nothing in the world is going to protect us when we get caught ourselves. Just as it's stupid for the school bully to hit little Johnny and take his money, it's really, really stupid of little Johnny to get a desk and bash the bully's head in against a wall in order to teach the bully to stop his bullying. The bully gets martyred and little Johnny ends up getting three consecutive life sentences. And the bully's friends hate all of little Johnny's friends and want to make them pay for what little Johnny did. And they could spend the rest of their lives doing it...and what you have is a gang war writ large. When it comes to violence, people are stupid. The brain goes off and the knee jerks. There's gotta be a high road and someone who takes it. People on the moral high road always hold respect, and respect gets you power. Being equal to a terrorist gets you derision, not sympathy. I truly don't understand the debasement of self and of nation to get a moment's satisfaction that you're "doing something," except that it all came from the Bush II administration, an administration headed by the biggest baby ever to "serve" in the office of the presidency.

I'm not religious, but I can't help but note that the Bible's Jesus is no idiot. Jesus countered the Old Testament's eye for an eye policy because it was stupid. Turn the other cheek doesn't necessarily mean pacifism--it means you've bothered to think things through.
    Post edited by JR8805 on
  • It's not about being "nice" to criminals. It's about respecting international laws as well as the values and ideas on which this country was founded.

A fundamental concept in the American legal system is that a person is considered innocent until proven guilty. I do not think any of us is able to offer proof to support the guilt (or innocence) of any person currently being held in Guantanamo.

I support our government's efforts to track down terrorists and to prevent terrorist attacks -- although our laws and rights must be respected in the process. I do not support rounding up people who may or may not be guilty, torturing them, and then throwing them in a hole and forgetting about them for years. That is unjustifiable behavior, and it is contrary to everything for which this country does -- or should -- stand.

Close Guantanamo, move the prisoners to maximum security prisons on domestic soil, give them fair and "speedy" (silly word at this point) trials, throw the book at the individuals found guilty, and free the innocent. How can we justify any other course of action??

Yes, I signed the petition.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Where are they going to be moving the prisoners? I feel really bad for the families of the people who have been killed by terrorists. It's like the terrorists are getting a small victory.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    "You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!"

Colonel Nathan Jessup in "A Few Good Men"
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Congratulations to these bands for standing up. I fully support you - and I lost friends in the Bali bombings (both of them). If places like GITMO are allowed - the terrorists have won. We should not stoop to conquer.
  • bosshogg18 wrote:

you obviously never saw that movie with Jake Gyllenhal and Reese Witherspoon, based on a true story, where an innocent Arab-American man was wrongfully tortured because of wrong information. If its happened once, it can happen again, and probably has many times in the past there. damn I wish I could remember the name. will post it later.

got the cause posted on my facebook.
  • "You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!"

Colonel Nathan Jessup in "A Few Good Men"

great movie. great example.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :arrow: :roll:
    www.myspace.com
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,462
    The only thing wrong with torturing terrorists is that it doesn't kill them. F' them... :twisted:
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.