Pearl Jam and Phillies World Series conflict!!!

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    BJ211772 wrote:
    according to the midday show on 610WIP - Anthony Gargano and Glen Macnow have been talking about it alot the past few days.
    i doubt it will happen. but this pearl jam and phillies fan has his fingers crossed!

yeah right!! are you out of your fucking mind?!?! change concert dates because of whacked ass baseball? you know how many out of state people who are coming to these shows? there is no way i could change all my plans at the last minute!! FUCK IBANEZ & THE PHILLIES!!! :twisted: :twisted:

we get it dude, you don't like baseball. enough already
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    That's a toughy.....Game 3 might be the only game the Phillies win

Sell the baseball tix, go see PJ 2 nights in a row.
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,777
    i'm a yankee fan and i dont see a conflict. dont get me wrong i dont want to miss a yankees world series game, but it's PJ and i can watch every other game of the series. besides it's game 3, no one is clinching, you can watch the beginning and maybe even catch the end somehow. i wouldnt be surprised if they have the game on at the concession stands at the concert or something. maybe even on the big screen in between bands and eddie giving updates like he did when mark mcqwire broke babe ruth's record years ago. :lol:
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Is there anyway they could just put the Phillies game on the jumbo-tron, or just have another large screen brought in and put the Phils on that? It would definitely solve both problems as people could go to the show and still see the game while also avoiding any possible time changes.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    no way in hell the concert gets moved.

there was an AC/DC show in the Wachovia Center last night coinciding with the Phillies/Dodgers Game 5.

Nothing was moved and everyone was fine.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    krony24 wrote:
    Is there anyway they could just put the Phillies game on the jumbo-tron, or just have another large screen brought in and put the Phils on that? It would definitely solve both problems as people could go to the show and still see the game while also avoiding any possible time changes.

wait until you see the video screen at the spectrum. when you see it you will understand that there is zero chance of updates being given via video screen.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    BJ211772 wrote:
    The most epic string of concerts to close the spectrum, and (most likely) Phillies vs Yankees in the World Series. (sorry LA fans, Looking like the phils and yanks)
    I have tickets to the Pearl Jam 10/31 show and World Series game 3 in Philly. They are both Saturday night on Halloween.
    What would Eddie Vedder say? Hes a huge baseball fan.

i also have Friday night Tix too.

ah what to do!
    If it really will be a time conflict, I would ditch the PJ show for a WS game ticket in a heart beat. However, to date, MLB has not set the times for the games yet. So, it could a non-issue of it is a day game being it is a Saturday.

Go Phillies!!!
    Not even a hard decision to make....

ITS THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!

Pearl Jam or the World Series????

Please....

"Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack"
    Exactly!! What Speedy said.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    aNiMaL wrote:
    BJ211772 wrote:
    The most epic string of concerts to close the spectrum, and (most likely) Phillies vs Yankees in the World Series. (sorry LA fans, Looking like the phils and yanks)
    I have tickets to the Pearl Jam 10/31 show and World Series game 3 in Philly. They are both Saturday night on Halloween.
    What would Eddie Vedder say? Hes a huge baseball fan.

i also have Friday night Tix too.

ah what to do!
    If it really will be a time conflict, I would ditch the PJ show for a WS game ticket in a heart beat. However, to date, MLB has not set the times for the games yet. So, it could a non-issue of it is a day game being it is a Saturday.

Go Phillies!!!

Since the last World Series Day Game was in 1987, I'm pretty sure it will be a night game. ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    Sadly, my team, The Boston Red Sox were eliminated from the playoffs...so I don't give a fuck about the World Series...
    It is because of this sentiment why the rest of the country hates Red Sox fans and Yankee fans. What a pompus statement. The WS is not just for the fans of the teams that make it there, it is for baseball fans everywhere. :roll:
    Solat13 wrote:
    [Since the last World Series Day Game was in 1987, I'm pretty sure it will be a night game. ;)
    Good point!
  • The big question is; will Pearl Jam show up? They might need to take a sick day. :D
    TDR
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    that is the best possible problem to have!

i'm bummed about missing out on watching any of the world series games... from my tv. i wondered what i would do if i had the opportunity to get tickets for game 3 (10/31)....turns out it's not going to be a problem since i didn't get tickets. lol. anyhow, i decided there's no way i could miss seeing pearl jam close down the spectrum. if it was a 'regular' concert, maybe...but this one - no way. i'll just find somewhere to watch the game until pj goes on and check for scores every chance i get!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    I'm posting this everywhere...and it's awesome.

Heard Rauuuuuulllllll interviewed on 97.5 with Mikey Miss. Missanelli recalled this past week that Raul said to director of fun and games John Brazier, "Hey, I wanted to know if you get some tickets for some friends of mine for the series. They're in a band, called Pearl Jam." Hahahhahaa, so humble the dude is, and so awesome. Anyway, we're looking at PJ really wooping it up in the City of BrotherLEE Love! Ah man, too much to handle right now. The boys sitting in the crowd rocking Phils hats. Fucking sweet.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Sadly, my team, The Boston Red Sox were eliminated from the playoffs...so I don't give a fuck about the World Series...
    It is because of this sentiment why the rest of the country hates Red Sox fans and Yankee fans. What a pompus statement. The WS is not just for the fans of the teams that make it there, it is for baseball fans everywhere. :roll:

I don't agree. I am a rabid baseball fan. But I HATE the fucking Yankees. However, I HATE the phucking Phillies even more. That being said, it's going to make me sick to my stomach to know either of those two teams are going to be celebrating a World Series title.

So I'm going to stay away from the World Series games as much as possible and pretend like the season is over. Thank God the basketball season is upon us and I can watch my world champion LA Lakers crush the competition. It will take my mind away from another disappointing season for the Dodgers.

The only joy I will get from the World Series will be knowing the pain Phillies fans will experience when their team gets destroyed by the Yankees. With a dominant lefty in Sabathia probably pitching at least two games for the Yankees, the Phillies will get destroyed. I would put every penny I own on the Yankees in 4 or 5 games if I was a betting man.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    aNiMaL wrote:

I don't agree. I am a rabid baseball fan. But I HATE the fucking Yankees. However, I HATE the phucking Phillies even more. That being said, it's going to make me sick to my stomach to know either of those two teams are going to be celebrating a World Series title.

So I'm going to stay away from the World Series games as much as possible and pretend like the season is over. Thank God the basketball season is upon us and I can watch my world champion LA Lakers crush the competition. It will take my mind away from another disappointing season for the Dodgers.

The only joy I will get from the World Series will be knowing the pain Phillies fans will experience when their team gets destroyed by the Yankees. With a dominant lefty in Sabathia probably pitching at least two games for the Yankees, the Phillies will get destroyed. I would put every penny I own on the Yankees in 4 or 5 games if I was a betting man.

How can you hate the Phillies more than the Yankees? That doesn't make any sense. You must be Dodger fan, so if that's the case... :lol:8-)

Oh, and we destroyed CC last year, and we beat him this year as well. The Phils are comin'! They're fuckin' comin'!!!!...........

............all over the stupid Yanks' faces! :shock: :o:mrgreen:
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 412
    aNiMaL wrote:

Sabathia hasn't had much luck with the Phillies, if you can recall Victorino taking him deep with that grand slam in last year's NLDS. The Phils will light up CC for 6 runs in game 1!
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    The Yankees arent even in the series yet, and Im a fan

How can you hate the Phillies more than the Yankees? That doesn't make any sense.

It's not even the players on the team that I hate so much as the fans of the team. They have got to be the most fair weather fans in all of baseball, and that's something I can't stand. Less than 10 years ago the Phillies were averaging less than 20,000 fans per game and nobody gave two shits about them in Philly. Why? Because they weren't winning. People only started caring and attending their games when they started putting up wins.

Fans like that -- who aren't willing to support their team in tough times, and who only come out when their team wins -- don't deserve to celebrate world championships. As much as I hate the Yankees management and players, at least their fans are always loyal to the team.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

How can you hate the Phillies more than the Yankees? That doesn't make any sense.

It's not even the players on the team that I hate so much as the fans of the team. They have got to be the most fair weather fans in all of baseball, and that's something I can't stand. Less than 10 years ago the Phillies were averaging less than 20,000 fans per game and nobody gave two shits about them in Philly. Why? Because they weren't winning. People only started caring and attending their games when they started putting up wins.

Fans like that -- who aren't willing to support their team in tough times, and who only come out when their team wins -- don't deserve to celebrate world championships. As much as I hate the Yankees management and players, at least their fans are always loyal to the team.

would you want to go watch a team lose every game???? it doesn't mean you stopped caring, but after a while, it becomes painful to watch. just go ask a Pirates fan.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

Late 80's, early 90's Yankee Stadium was not what it is today

but I do get what ur sayin
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114

Yep, we stopped going because we didn't care, you got us.
    Or maybe we stopped going because management didn't give a shit about spending money and fielding a quality team.
    And I do believe the fans coming back to the ballpark had something to do with the new stadium being built, the organization then spent some money on FA (Jim Thome) so that they had a draw in the ballpark, and finally left their minor league system alone so that they could develop quality players (Utley, Howard, Rollins, Burrell, Hamels, Myers, Floyd)... but I could be wrong.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    The Vet was pretty crappy, Citizens Bank looks pretty cool

How uninformed. The team consistently would lose, ownership hired bad management, didn't spend money because they didn't consider themselves a top market(as you can see they clearly are) and had a shit hole of a stadium. Look at the Yankees in the 80's and early 90's! That when they had 22 titles under their belt. You have no idea what you're talking about nor any pulse on this city. The fans are there, but why in GOD'S NAME would you spend money like a fool to see a team that was just horrible day in and day out. Scott Rolen couldn't wait to leave, Curt Schilling couldn't wait to get out of here. Why? Because ownership, management, made no effort towards building a contender for preposterous reasons. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I don't care what anyone says, Philly is the most crazy city when it comes to their sports teams and no one can prove me otherwise. And it's fucking beautiful.

And you're from LA - talk about horrible fans. While we're on the grounds of assumptions - In by the 3rd, out by the 7th. Fucking weak. Nice "You suck FEEELIES!" chants, gringos. Watch your Doyers lose again.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

How uninformed. The team consistently would lose, ownership hired bad management, didn't spend money because they didn't consider themselves a top market(as you can see they clearly are) and had a shit hole of a stadium. Look at the Yankees in the 80's and early 90's! That when they had 22 titles under their belt. You have no idea what you're talking about nor any pulse on this city. The fans are there, but why in GOD'S NAME would you spend money like a fool to see a team that was just horrible day in and day out. Scott Rolen couldn't wait to leave, Curt Schilling couldn't wait to get out of here. Why? Because ownership, management, made no effort towards building a contender for preposterous reasons. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I don't care what anyone says, Philly is the most crazy city when it comes to their sports teams and no one can prove me otherwise. And it's fucking beautiful.

And you're from LA - talk about horrible fans. While we're on the grounds of assumptions - In by the 3rd, out by the 7th. Fucking weak. Nice "You suck FEEELIES!" chants, gringos. Watch your Doyers lose again.
    Jearlpam is dead on couldn't have said it better myself. If there's one thing u can't call Philly fans its that were bandwagon jumpers. In my opinion were the most passionate and loyal cans around.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The Fixer wrote:

we get it dude, you don't like baseball. enough already

i don't hate baseball....it's just that music is much more closer to my heart.....you say "enough already" and i hear "fuck with him some more!!!" :twisted: that's just my nature i guess...anyway....we share a common enemy in the Yankees, so that will make us friends...for now! ;):mrgreen:
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,370
    The Angels aren't dead yet.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.

I'm not uninformed. I know plenty about the Phillies background and the issues they had with team management. I actually lived an hour away from Philadelphia for about a year and a half in the early part of the decade and was in/near the city long enough to see what was going on. I also have friends who still live in or near Philadelphia who will agree with what I’m about to say.

The truth is, during the period, people simply didn’t give a shit about baseball. They focused their attention to other sports (football and even basketball and hockey) and stopped caring about the Phillies because they were losers. There wasn’t much outcry against the team, or public discussion about them, like you would expect from passionate fans upset at team management. Instead, the fans simply chose to ignore them, to stop coming to games, and to stop supporting the players on the field who had little to do with the management situation.

That’s the very definition of a bandwagon fan. Look, almost every team has gone through a period in which their management has sucked. The Dodgers had to suffer through a period of six years when their general manager was the utterly incompetent Kevin Malone followed by the equally worthless Dan Evans. During the same period of time the Fox Corporation (bleh!) took over the team and didn’t give two shits about whether they won or lost or who was on the field. Fuck, I don’t even think Rupert Murdoch had even heard of the Dodgers before. During those years (1998-2004) the Dodgers made the playoffs only once (in 2004). Yet fans continued to come out and support the players and support the team. They never dipped below an average of 35,000 fans a game.

A true fan sticks with his/her team through thick and thin, and doesn’t just abandon the players and the team when things go bad.

I know that Philly fans can be very loud and passionate at games, and that’s great. But that’s not what makes a fan true vs. bandwagon. I don’t know how else you can dissect things that will not show that Phillies fans have only come out to support their team during prosperous times.

Do I detect a hint of racism in there? Tsk tsk.

Look, I can't deny the fact that a lot of Dodgers fans come to the game late and leave early. But you have to live in L.A. to see why. Dodger Stadium is literally on the top of a hill. There are only two entrances into the stadium and no public transportation. If you leave at 5:00 and live 20 minutes away, there is a good chance you won't make it to the game by the start. It literally takes 2+ hours to travel 10-15 miles in the heart of downtown LA in the middle of rush hour traffic. The same thing getting out -- it generally takes me about 3 hours to get home most nights after a game for what should be an hour drive. I always get to the game by about 5:00 and wait it out until the start of the game so I don't miss it, but most people don't have the type of job and/or family that will allow them to do that.

However, LA fans have shown time and time again that they can be as loud, intelligent, and passionate about their team as any fans anywhere else. Put Dodger Stadium somewhere as acessible as Citizen's Bank and I guarantee you that the issue of arriving late/leaving early would disappear.

The difference is that Dodger fans actually love their team enough to support them through thick and thin, whereas Phillies fans don't. End of story.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I love how you just put everyone into one big cookie jar.

I have been a Phillies fan since 1972 so don't call me a fair weather fan.

I hope to God these heated arguments don't spill over to the actual PJ shows. Some people just love the suck the fun out of everything.