Options

Has PJ ever made you cry?

Comments

• Options
    yes - release - after my father died

Me too. :cry:
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • Options
    Sleight of Hand gets me every time.....the song opens and I immediately start to tear up! My son and I are very close, he is 19 and away at college, needless to say that I miss him daily! I always think of him when I hear it and this song gives me a feeling of being far away and out of reach,,,,I have never gotten through the whole song!!!
  • Options
    solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    Black in Berlin..the return of alive in Sydney 03
  • Options
    Favorite song is Black. Hearing it live another tale. I have been to 6 shows, but have not cried at a show...yet. But alone, Black, parachutes, The End. It just gets to you. Any PJ fan can feel the hairs on their neck when they are running on the track or when they opened up with Betterman in Cleveland in 06. First time seeing them, first time I heard Eddie's voice, goosbumps.
    I got some if you need it.

5/20/06 Cleveland 6/24/06 Cincinnati 5/6/10 Columbus 5/7/10 Indiana 5/9/10 Cleveland 5/10/10 Buffalo 6/26/11 EV Detroit 9/3-4/11 Alpine Valley WI 9/11-12/11 Toronto 2011 Atlanta 2012
  • Options
    bigmattk11 wrote:
    Favorite song is Black. Hearing it live another tale. I have been to 6 shows, but have not cried at a show...yet. But alone, Black, parachutes, The End. It just gets to you. Any PJ fan can feel the hairs on their neck when they are running on the track or when they opened up with Betterman in Cleveland in 06. First time seeing them, first time I heard Eddie's voice, goosbumps.

Welcome! Nice first post. :thumbup:
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • Options
    Ha thanks. I figured why not join the 10c. It only makes sense.
    I got some if you need it.

5/20/06 Cleveland 6/24/06 Cincinnati 5/6/10 Columbus 5/7/10 Indiana 5/9/10 Cleveland 5/10/10 Buffalo 6/26/11 EV Detroit 9/3-4/11 Alpine Valley WI 9/11-12/11 Toronto 2011 Atlanta 2012
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    bigmattk11 wrote:
    Ha thanks. I figured why not join the 10c. It only makes sense.

A warm welcome!
  • Options
    My daughter was born in October 2003, anyway I was told to go home and get some sleep because the baby wasn't gonna be coming anytime soon. So I reluctantly went home I was woke at two thirty in the morning with a phone call telling me to get back to the hospital and when I jumped in my car the stereo came on automatically and "lowlight" was playing, this song will always remind of my darling lily( 7 years old now ) and the first time I travelled outside ireland to see pj ( wembley 07!) and they played "lowlight" I cried my lamps out! So happy that I had this amazing band in my life but so happy I had an amazing family to go back to! And when they played it again this year in Belfast well .... Pass the Kleenex!!
  • Options
    How about right now ... having trouble finding that path cut by the moon ... which road am I taking ... what exactly is it I'm giving ... am I sinking? :cry:
    "Change what you can't accept, accept what you can't change"
    (Arnhem 2006 - Antwerpen 2006 - Verona 2006 - Düsseldorf 2007 - Werchter 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Nijmegen 2010 - Amsterdam II 2012 - Berlin 2012 - EV Amsterdam I 2012)
  • Options
    GizzoGizzo Posts: 53
    Why do I cry uncontrollably for some Pearl Jam songs?

Just 2 that come to mind ... Release Me and Man of the Hour. Many others. Is this healthy? Eddie, what are you doing to us?

There are times when driving with my wife and 2 kids that I have to turn my head to the window (if my wife is driving, of course) and hide my sobbing.

I just get so damn emotional!
  • Options
    Gizzo wrote:
    Why do I cry uncontrollably for some Pearl Jam songs?

Just 2 that come to mind ... Release Me and Man of the Hour. Many others. Is this healthy? Eddie, what are you doing to us?

There are times when driving with my wife and 2 kids that I have to turn my head to the window (if my wife is driving, of course) and hide my sobbing.

I just get so damn emotional!

nothing you can do it dude!!
    PJ gonna get your anyway
    I got memories i got shit
  • Options
    Frequently, quite a few of the songs do but especially Betterman, that's a painful one these days :cry:
  • Options
    Behind her eyes there's curtains...
    And they've been closed to hide the flames, remains...
    She knows their future's burning, but she can smile just the same, same...
    And though her mood is fine today
    There's a fear they'll soon be parting ways
    Standing, like a statue
    A chin of stone, a heart of clay, hey...
    And though he's too big a man to say
    There's a fear they'll soon be parting ways

I was listening to this just the other day and it hit me like a ton of bricks...my hubby and I have been going through a rough patch.

Things are going better these days.

I also love to hear this song. It is so fitting in so many occasions.

Don't you think you oughtta rest?
    Don't you think you oughtta lay you head down?
    Don't you think you want to sleep?
    Don't you think you oughtta lay your head down
    Tonight?

Don't you think you've done enough?
    Oh, don't you think you've got enough? well maybe...
    You don't think there's time to stop
    There's time enough for you to lay your head down,
    Tonight, tonight

Let it wash away
    All those yesterdays

What are you running from?
    Taking pills to get along
    Creating walls to call your own
    So no one catches you?
    Drifting off and doing all the things...
    That we... all do

When things are getting tough I can think of these lyrics and it gets me through almost any thing. They are the best...
  • Options
    Not quite, but close a few times:

The first time I heard In Hiding. Ed's vocals in that song give me goosebumps every time, but that first time was special.

My first PJ show Brisbane 2003. Had wanted to see them live for so long but that was the 1st time I was able to. Will never forget that night.

Listening to The End for the first time. Fk me that song is so unbelievably sad.
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    yep given to fly
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    They will if I don't get to see them in 2011!!! :shock:
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Katyz wrote:

I agree!!!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    All the time. They are my go-to when I need to cry as well.

Most notably are Man of the Hour and Present Tense.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Doesn't make me cry, but I can listen to Ledbetter over and over and over and over again if I'm having a rough day....just seems to sympathize with you. Mike's guitar kind of levels you out....."Make me cry" before the solo.

Finally got to see PJ live for the first time in Bristow this year and I was hoping I would get Ledbetter as the closer, and it almost brought tears of joy after a magical evening. I couldn't help but hug one of my buddies who I went with. :lol:
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Nothingman :cry:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    Katyz wrote:

Yep, me too. It's been too long.
  • Options
    LieslLiesl Posts: 64
    Present tense....Daughter...black... thumbing my way ....do you know what I love...hearing a Eddie after not really listening for a few days, it sort of feels like comming home..weird aye, have tried describing to my family.. they dont really get it, I understand probley sounds nutty....dont care....
  • Options
    A number of times a Pearl Jam song, usually playing serendipitously through the radio, has caught me off-guard, raised the bumps on my arm, and sometimes misted my eyes over. Such a time was in Mexico City some years ago now, I was making a film there and sort of hadn't quite started interviews - my Spanish wasn't so great - and to procrastinate I ended up in Starbucks to check my email. I found out then and there that the missing persons' search for a good friend of mine was finally over... they had finally found her remains... and so this meant that she was gone... Angel was really gone. We could all forget about hoping for the best.

After hearing that news I wandered the markets of the city in a sort of depressed stupor, feeling sorry for myself I guess. I was all by myself that week, and it was my first time ever really experiencing the loss of somebody that close and I didn't really know how to cry right. But, in the midst of my walking through the maze of merchant stalls, mostly selling pirated music and movies and cheap electronic junk, I was listening to the very boisterous music blasting randomly and from everywhere (Latin America is soooo loud for that) and all of a sudden the noise all around me sort of died off, except for one boom-box, which played Yellow Ledbetter in perfect clarity. I choked. Somehow that had been arranged for me I think. The rest of the world continued to bustle and barter, but I stood there and let tears fall down.

That movie is not finished yet. But in a scene demonstrating the madness of the market stalls I have snuck a few bars of Yellow Ledbetter in there to remind me of that day.

Nice thread here, I don't know if I've told that story before. To think I never used to like Pearl Jam when I was younger. I could never hear the words. Then I not only could hear the words, but I could feel the emotions, and I think that language is far more important than English. Long live PJ.
    Michael Wood.
  • Options
    cry?. yes sometimes.
    i love Man of Hour...(and also the movie Big Fish). the story are suit with my life. thanks Ed.
    - "I wish I was a messenger, and all the news was good" -
  • Options
    Oh yes!!!
    That's why I love them. They touch my heart. I feel the songs. I get emotional. Sometimes sad emotional, sometimes happy emotional. Heineken Jammin festival 2010, I went alone, and for a miracle ended up in the front row, and I seemed to recognise her breath made me choke with emotion, made me want to sob, I was sooooo happy, I asked a unknown girl next to me if I could hug her, she understood and smiled, and I was HAPPY!
    makes much more sense to live in a present tense
  • Options
    drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    My first PJ concert last year...Columbus Ohio, they played Crazy Mary which I had heard a number of times on bootlegs. The crowd was insane and the energy was so thick you could touch it. "Mary rising up above it all", it really got me.

Two days later we were in Cleveland Ohio for their show and I started crying when the lights went down...the excitment, the memory of the other show...

I am pretty sure my dad got teary-eyed too.

Thanks, Pearl Jam, for everything.

XO
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11
  • Options
    drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    Liesl wrote:
    Present tense....Daughter...black... thumbing my way ....do you know what I love...hearing a Eddie after not really listening for a few days, it sort of feels like comming home..weird aye, have tried describing to my family.. they dont really get it, I understand probley sounds nutty....dont care....

I know exactly what you mean...
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    First PJ show was with my dad at Bonnaroo. Playing Release near the end of the set was a shock and caught me off guard. Where I was with him the "Dad can you see me now" line got to me. Yep, I cried.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Yes,The End everytime i hear it.It just raises so much emotion.
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    A number of times a Pearl Jam song, usually playing serendipitously through the radio, has caught me off-guard, raised the bumps on my arm, and sometimes misted my eyes over.

I not only could hear the words, but I could feel the emotions, and I think that language is far more important than English. Long live PJ.

Well said. I cried the first time I heard Come Back live. Eddie put so much emotion into it, and I felt like he knew exactly what I was going through at the time and played it just for me. :) Felt like a beautiful dream.