Options

Has PJ ever made you cry?

Comments

• Options
    FireJam09FireJam09 Posts: 43
    I didn't cry but Seattle #2 2000, the final show of a 72 show tour I got a little choked up in the end because I left wondering if they'd ever play again after the incident in Euorpe. That show, after seeing them 22 times is still my favorite show. Was row 2 on the floor and met Mike before the show.
  • Options
    Practically every time I see the live. The most memorable was the when they played Garden. I think it was @ the KeyArena.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options
    krisskriss Posts: 8
    I cried the first time I heard Last Kiss. It made me feel so sad, but I wanted to hear it again and again... :)
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    I will cry if Just Breathe is played. Probably major sobbing! It's the song I have in my own head for my son. Just shows how you can take the lyrics and make them your own!
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    One night i was driving home from work and "The End" came on. My Dad had just had a tough diagnosis, i was thinking about my 1 year old son possibly not getting to know his grandpa and just really focused in on the lyrics to that song (and Ed's insanely emotional delivery). Almost thought i was going to have to pull over.

Oh and the first time i ever heard Black live (Montreal 98 first PJ show)...no particular reason other than it was my first time seeing the band i had worshiped for 7 odd years and having them play my all time favorite song. Definitely never forget hearing those first few notes.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    krisskriss Posts: 8
    Fatal wrote:
    One night i was driving home from work and "The End" came on. My Dad had just had a tough diagnosis, i was thinking about my 1 year old son possibly not getting to know his grandpa and just really focused in on the lyrics to that song (and Ed's insanely emotional delivery). Almost thought i was going to have to pull over.

Oh and the first time i ever heard Black live (Montreal 98 first PJ show)...no particular reason other than it was my first time seeing the band i had worshiped for 7 odd years and having them play my all time favorite song. Definitely never forget hearing those first few notes.
    absolutely insanely emotional delivery :!:
  • Options
    Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    Man of the Hour
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    long road

recently, makes me well up a bit, when i'm in one of those moods

live performances always make a little lump of tears in my throat
  • Options
    Release makes me bawl! :cry:
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 339
    edited September 2012
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    had the ipod on shuffle one day, i get a phone call, my grandmother died....... Light Years came on almost as soon as i hung up the phone :cry: like a baby
  • Options
    teegan31teegan31 Southwestern ON Posts: 126
    The End and Come back, I still get goosebumps evey time I hear it, sooo real and full of emotion!
  • Options
    I was 12 when I fell in love with Pearl Jam and music in general. Their music got me through a lot of tough shit back then. When I was sad I would play release, or alive when I was angry I would play once or deep (and it was hard to select a cartain song back in the tape cassett days lol). Now at 31 if I'm in a certain mood when I hear some of those songs I get a little teary just thinking of what it meant to me to have had the music to turn to. Hearing Release live at Bonnaroo had the tears streaming. It's such a beautiful song that speaks to me now every bit as much as it did 19 years ago.
    Emily
  • Options
    "Man of the hour" The song reminds me of my uncle. He was a great friend and i miss him everyday. His life was cut short way to early for me. Who knows why? But the man of the hour has taken his final bow, as the, curtain comes down, i feel, that this is just. . . . . . . . .GOODBYE FOR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    the love he receives is the love that is. . .SAVED!!!
  • Options
    I was 12 when I fell in love with Pearl Jam and music in general. Their music got me through a lot of tough shit back then. When I was sad I would play release, or alive when I was angry I would play once or deep (and it was hard to select a cartain song back in the tape cassett days lol). Now at 31 if I'm in a certain mood when I hear some of those songs I get a little teary just thinking of what it meant to me to have had the music to turn to. Hearing Release live at Bonnaroo had the tears streaming. It's such a beautiful song that speaks to me now every bit as much as it did 19 years ago.

I agree Emily, randy

randyvkash@gmail
    the love he receives is the love that is. . .SAVED!!!
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited September 2011
    Well an artist stepped on my hand during a show. He/She almost broke my hand. It hurt really mucho, but I did not cry. Death Cab For Cutie...
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options
    Juan GodoyJuan Godoy Posts: 490
    so many times, and very different each other..
    songs?..

Black
    Man of the hour
    Dissident
    Come Back, live (tribute to the Roskilde tragedy)

Awesome thread my friend..
  • Options
    I was a freshman in college in 1991 when a friend from across the hall told me I needed to hear this new CD he just got...TEN. The band and their music has changed my life. From the begining Release has been my favorite song. My father passed away in 1998. To this day, I can't hear Release, Given To Fly or Light Years without getting very emotional. Come to think of it, Present Tense will draw a tear as well. Suffice it to say I'm an emotional guy.
  • Options
    I was reading about the horrible tragedy in Indiana yesterday when the stage collapsed, and "Man of the Hour" came on PJ Radio. I had tears running down my cheeks as I listened to this beautiful song-one of my favorites.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    jened10jened10 Posts: 170
    Most recently, Light Years when thinking of a friend who just lost her father in a tragic accident.

Pearl Jam has made me cry many times... One most memorable would be when they opened with Release in Pittsburgh '06. The energy from the crowd, the singing, made me burst into tears. Beautiful.
  • Options
    adoffinadoffin Blaine, MN Posts: 398
    my 10 month old daughter passed away from a congenital heart defect in July 2009, and I was in Chicago for one of the August 2009 shows and Come Back was played and I couldn't stop the tears from flowing...the entire show was emotional, but that song brought the waterfalls and I expect it will again if played Labor Day wknd
    Chicago - 6/29/98
    Indianapolis - 8/18/00
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    St. Paul - 6/26/06 (w/Petty)
    St. Paul - 6/27/06 (w/Petty)
    Chicago - 8/23/09
    Minneapolis - 7/2/11 (Ed)
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - 9/3/11
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - 9/4/11
    Wrigley - 7/19/13
    Pittsburgh - 10/11/13
    Buffalo - 10/12/13
    Moline - 10/17/14
    St. Paul - 10/19/14
    Milwaukee - 10/20/14
    Wrigley - 8/20/16
    Wrigley - 8/22/16
    Wrigley - 8/18/18
    Wrigley - 8/20/18
    St. Louis - 9/18/22
    St. Paul 1 - 8/31/23
    St. Paul 2 - 9/2/23
    Chicago 1 - 9/5/23
    Chicago 2 - 9/7/23
    Wrigley - 8/29/24
    Wrigley - 8/31/24
  • Options
    I lost my Job as a probation officer in 2006. Parachutes just came out...It still makes me cry to this day. My wife Kelly was my Parachute...MM :(
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    adoffin wrote:
    my 10 month old daughter passed away from a congenital heart defect in July 2009, and I was in Chicago for one of the August 2009 shows and Come Back was played and I couldn't stop the tears from flowing...the entire show was emotional, but that song brought the waterfalls and I expect it will again if played Labor Day wknd
    You've suffered something no one should have to suffer. No parent should outlive their children. There is no greater tragedy.
  • Options
    GTF77GTF77 Nashville, TN Posts: 31
    Yes...many times...just all depends on what is going on at that moment. Not the ugly cry crap more just the slow few tears that roll down. I expect to cry at PJ20 just from being there with my brother. Both of us have seen many PJ shows but never together. 8-)
    ]Given To Fly!
  • Options
    I bet some grown men will shed a tear this weekend
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• Options
    ozgurkdozgurkd Juneau, Alaska Posts: 434
    Black makes me cry.

I got a bit choked up during Footsteps in LA, too.

I cried to Black many times as well. Esp when he says " know you'll be a star in someoneelse's sky..." and very clearly remember that for MTV unplugged endng was like " we belong together""

but for a long while now I cannot remember crying to a PJ song. I rely on them even more to make me feel better and maybe that's why

by the way I just yesterday realized they have a song where they tak about angels. My momsent tapes since our car has only tape oplayer and there in that tape was that song. yesterday!
    Living is no laughing matter: you must live with great seriousness like a squirrel for example - I mean without looking for something beyond and above living, I mean living must be your whole occupation.
    Nazım Hikmet
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    one time
  • Options
    Yes! Present Tense, just bc it has helped me to get over my mistakes in life. And defiantly release!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    No, but they have given me goosebumps plenty of times :D. Especially when I hear this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcyTyLqkvoU
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I had a tough time keeping it together during Release, on Saturday's PJ20 show.