Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    tremors wrote:
    Just got my nice vinyl of Brad 'Best Friends?' from 10C a fwe days ago. I've never actually heard Brad before but I thought it was worth a punt and it sounds great. Nice, clean music. It lifts you up.
    Cheap too, the shipping and cost of other vinyl thro 10C was much higher, I think. Maybe it's cos I also got a hoodie so I only paid shipping once.

I need to hear more Brad - I always like them a lot when I hear them. I think if they weren't connected to Pearl Jam I would probably be more interested..... sounds weird, but you might get what I mean!

I'm with you. That is why I had never heard them before! But I'm really enjoying it. Not every song is a gem but the good ones are very very good. They are warm and gentle.

The one I remember my ex playing all the time was '20th Century.....' or something like that - very cool, hypnotic, nice sound. The kind of thing I used to listen to before she forced me to discover Pearl Jam! :lol:
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    "i wrote:
    I'm with you. That is why I had never heard them before! But I'm really enjoying it. Not every song is a gem but the good ones are very very good. They are warm and gentle.

Mind you, I've got on to side two now and the album is definitely front loaded. First side is great, second side sounds dated. Shame but there are still some lovely tracks on the first side.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Bought the Into the Wild reissue last week and arrived on Tuesday and it sounds great!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Bought the Into the Wild reissue last week and arrived on Tuesday and it sounds great!

Yeah it does sound fabulous. Amazing album that the vinyl does full justice to. Great sound

• Options
    joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    Hey Newch91 did you end up ever getting those Hendrix reissue...BBC, Blues and WCSB boxset?
  • Options
    joely_91 wrote:
    Hey Newch91 did you end up ever getting those Hendrix reissue...BBC, Blues and WCSB boxset?
    I haven't gotten those reissues...YET. I'm trying to save my money so I can go to LA for a vacation in the summer to see family. I'm also looking for a job so I can buy those Hendrix one's. The studio album reissues I bought last year are getting lonely and want more company. I'll keep you updated if I get any of those.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah it does sound fabulous. Amazing album that the vinyl does full justice to. Great sound
    +1. I like having both versions of Guaranteed separated.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    joely_91 wrote:
    I haven't gotten those reissues...YET. I'm trying to save my money so I can go to LA for a vacation in the summer to see family. I'm also looking for a job so I can buy those Hendrix one's. The studio album reissues I bought last year are getting lonely and want more company. I'll keep you updated if I get any of those.

The WCSB box is awesome, the blues reissue is pretty much the same though and I havent got around to BBC sessions yet... I also managed to get a hold of the Merry Christmas 10inch and last years RSD Clark University bootleg.

I'm now saving for South Saturn, Winterland, Blue Wild Angel and The Purple Box :lol::lol: so expensive is Mr Hendrix....and now I hear that Royal ALbert Hall might be released this year??? :D
  • Options
    joely_91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    joely_91 wrote:

The WCSB box is awesome, the blues reissue is pretty much the same though and I havent got around to BBC sessions yet... I also managed to get a hold of the Merry Christmas 10inch and last years RSD Clark University bootleg.

I'm now saving for South Saturn, Winterland, Blue Wild Angel and The Purple Box :lol::lol: so expensive is Mr Hendrix....and now I hear that Royal ALbert Hall might be released this year??? :D
    That's awesome to hear!

I'm after these Hendrix records. Don't forget about Woodstock! I like the RSD Clark Univeristy boot. It's awesome to hear early Hendrix live.
  • Options
    I had already got the Woodstock LP before they reissued it.... didnt think there was anything significantly different between the releases but I didnt have the others... I think there are a few of the RYKO pressing Winterlands on ebay right now that I'm going to try and snatch one up.
  • Options
    Foo Fighters "Wasting Light" pre-ordered!

I also stopped by record store today and talked to the guy about RSD and some of the stuff coming out and he wrote it down and said keep one of each behind the counter that I mentioned. Here's what I mentioned:

PJ - Vs. and Vitalogy reissue
    Wilco - live album + studio albums
    Foo Fighters - Medium rare

I feel like I'm going to go broke after RSD!
  • Options
    eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
    There's also the PJ 7" on RSD...... :D
  • Options
    eyejacker wrote:
    There's also the PJ 7" on RSD...... :D
    Oh yeah. We were looking at the list today and I'm not sure if he wrote that one.
  • Options
    MK186319MK186319 Posts: 186
    i will be at RSD 2011 can't wait
  • Options
    Picked up Bowie's hunky dory for a pound yesterday. Last week was in my local record store which has just moved premises and they had a big box out front marked 'free vinyl - please help yourself!' Very cool, got some jazz and a neneh cherry 12“. Tomorrow I'm going to what I call my 'vinyl town' - the place is littered with vintage vinyl. You guys would have a field day if you saw it! No idea why, but you have to enter the town with a budget. I'll tell you what I find!

• Options
    look out for me .. :D any thing will be great

OK, I'll seek out something special for the thrilla - and I'll post here what I get. Any requests? (other than 1980s pop classics)

• Options
    tremors wrote:

OK, I'll seek out something special for the thrilla - and I'll post here what I get. Any requests? (other than 1980s pop classics)

Things are going real real well in the vinyl town young kevin. Had to sit down in starbucks to catch my breath. I've picked you up a few gems which hopefully you'll like. Am still buzzing tho, cos was just in the barnardos charity shop, where here they have all the vinyl displayed and labelled properly, and they have loads of it. Was just counting up what I could afford where I saw their display.... Temple of the dog lp, 1991 black vinyl, £12!! I'm made up cos my copy of this is a purple vinyl and I swear it's a forgery, maybe even pressed from a cd, it's really really low volume and makes my speakers go funny. Got it from ebay ages ago, but this one is going to be the real deal! Vinyl town delivers me totd. Yay!

Will post what I got you, and got for myself when I'm back on my pc. Blew the money I had put aside for my brother's birthday present today, but have decided to treat him to a nice piece of VINYL I got today, the marquee 30 legendary years double lp. Think he'll like it cos he likes his rock but he doesn't have much, this is a great collection. If I don't part with it, he'll be getting nothing. Totd comes first!! :)

• Options
    Just ordered this baby from eBay (I made sure to check out the seller and all the customer responses before I ordered and everyone had great things to say about him). It was $55 sealed. I'm absolutely in love with this movie.

http://www.theuncool.com/vinyl/untitled-double-lp/
  • Options
    a flying visit back home but it gives me enough time to check out the little vinyl store in my village. i'm armed and ready with about 30 quid and i'm going to have some fun rummaging.
  • Options
    MK186319MK186319 Posts: 186
    Getting close to RSD, gonna get Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Nirvana, Foo Fighters and PJ.
  • Options
    MoonTurtleMoonTurtle Posts: 750
    the vitalogy legacy edition lp is the same one in the deluxe box?
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,071
    Cob wrote:
    MK186319 wrote:
    Vinyl is coming Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is so much to buy and so little money, I pre-ordered all Nirvana re-issue's 180 gram colored, Nirvana live at Reading vinyl, DMB, AIC, Dead Weather, and of course PJ Backspacer, i just might order the Foo-Fighters Greatest Hits? What has everyone else been buying? or what are your new editions?

I love the perception that people have that vinyl is "coming back" it never went anywhere...
    I also have been buying vinyl since I began listening to music, and I agree it never went anywhere BUT I can see where the OP is coming from, that it really has taken off lately (last 5 years or so?). Take a look at newsletter #23 and also at a maroon colored 10C mailer from April 2006 that have Riot Act 2LP for $12 and Lost Dogs 3LP for $20, they had so many on their hands they could not get rid of and discounted them heavily.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Just got my first turntable in the mail today. It's a starter turntable but I have been listening to it throughout the day and it sounds great! I'm used to listening to albums in my car, through headphones, or with a iHome type of setup so this is definitely an improvement.

LPs I listened to today:

Ten Redux
    Dark Side of the Moon reissue
    Aja by Steely Dan
    Neon Bible by Arcade Fire

I think I'm hooked!!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Picked up The White Stripes debut reissue today and it sounds incredible! White Stripes on vinyl is a must!!
  • Options
    Damn, I love a vinyl trip. 40 quid in my pocket and I managed to pick up:

Stevie Wonder 'Talking Book'
    Elvis Costello 'My Aim Is True'
    McCartney 'II'
    U2 'Rattle and Hum'
    REM 'Green'
    Neil D 'The Jazz Singer'
    Stiff Little Fingers 'Inflammable Material'
    Lennon 'Double Fantay'
    and a really cool various artists thing called 'Psychotic Reactions: Early American Rock Groups'

I didn't find any unkown gems or really obscure stuff for a decent price but it is still a bargain I reckon.
  • Options
    Damn, I love a vinyl trip. 40 quid in my pocket and I managed to pick up:

Stevie Wonder 'Talking Book'
    Elvis Costello 'My Aim Is True'
    McCartney 'II'
    U2 'Rattle and Hum'
    REM 'Green'
    Neil D 'The Jazz Singer'
    Stiff Little Fingers 'Inflammable Material'
    Lennon 'Double Fantay'
    and a really cool various artists thing called 'Psychotic Reactions: Early American Rock Groups'

I didn't find any unkown gems or really obscure stuff for a decent price but it is still a bargain I reckon.

A good haul! And weren't you saying a while back you never came across much decent second hand vinyl??

Today's obligatory purchase was a mint condition mono double lp entitled - 'The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever' - where apparently in 1953 a Toronto jazz society invited a 'Supergroup' of jazz musicians of the day to come and play together at Massey Hall. They got Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Mingus, Max Roach and Bud Powell all on stage at the same time, with no rehearsal.

367403.jpg

Not listened yet, but I do like me some jazz. Collecting old records is a great way of exposing yourself to music you would never know anything about, I think. Is good fun - I seem to come across quite a lot of these interesting records......!

• Options

Will try and post your records early next week Kev ;)

• Options
    "Almost Famous" soundtrack arrived today on 200 gram vinyl!
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    "Almost Famous" soundtrack arrived today on 200 gram vinyl!

200 gram is it now?? :crazy: I think they should go back to using some of the same wax they used in the 70s - slightly softer - some of those records sound so much better - and the weight is kind of medium often.