Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    MK186319 wrote:
    Here's a link to my Blog/website showing pictures and info of my vinyl collection, just started the site, I will be updating, so keep checking back, I have allot of vinyl to post. http://2f0r.zapd.co/
    Awesome!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    just hooked up my first record player. threw on the orpheum show. sounds a lil staticy. might have to tweak it
  • Options
    Got a great Cure vinyl from our little 10c swap shop. Very cool.
    And had an amazing gift of the vs/vit box this week.

Great week for records!!

I might even finish the week of by going to the flea market on Sunday. It's mostly crap but there are some gems there from time to time. I picked a double 7" of Edith Piaf a few weeks back which is really nice on a turntable; it's scratchy and sounds jsut like it should. It cost me about 1zl (1/2 a US $ ?)
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    MK186319MK186319 Posts: 186
    Just pre-ordered Johnny Cash on clear vinyl. http://www.musicdirect.com/product/90784
  • Options
    At our local guitar festival yesterday was a guy called Al Di Meola, he plays guitar and makes our MIghty Mike Mc look like a beginner. It was unbelievable.

Went to my local flea market this moring and picked up an album of his and one by John McLaughlin, who the seller recommended as an ever better guitarist. Also picked up JJ Cale 'Okie' and Rush 'Farewell to Kings'. 20 quid the lot.

JJ_Cale-Okie_%28album_cover%29.jpg
  • Options
    At our local guitar festival yesterday was a guy called Al Di Meola, he plays guitar and makes our MIghty Mike Mc look like a beginner. It was unbelievable.

Went to my local flea market this moring and picked up an album of his and one by John McLaughlin, who the seller recommended as an ever better guitarist. Also picked up JJ Cale 'Okie' and Rush 'Farewell to Kings'. 20 quid the lot.

Al Di Meola is amazing. Glad you enjoyed him.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Al Di Meola is amazing. Glad you enjoyed him.

And he looks like one cools mother fucker. I bet the ladies go wild for him.
  • Options
    Looking forward to the next McCartney reissues! I'm surprised my dad doesn't have his first solo album on vinyl.

http://www.paulmccartney.com/news.php#/2152/2011-04
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Looking forward to the next McCartney reissues! I'm surprised my dad doesn't have his first solo album on vinyl.

That is a great album. Unfortunately, I bought 'McCartney 2' recently thinking, obviously, that is the follow up album. I soon found out that Ram was second and 'McC 2' is 80s synth crap.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Newch91 wrote:

That is a great album. Unfortunately, I bought 'McCartney 2' recently thinking, obviously, that is the follow up album. I soon found out that Ram was second and 'McC 2' is 80s synth crap.

Band on the Run is an essential item in any proper record collection! :D:D
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Band on the Run is an essential item in any proper record collection! :D:D

Yep, that is in there :)

Love 'Let me roll it', what a tune!
  • Options
    Down in the jungle living in a tent
    You don't use money you don't pay rent
    You don't ever know the time
    But you don't mind

Ho Hey Ho...

When your light is on the blink
    You never think of worrying
    What's the use of worrying?

• Options
    Here's a little PJ vinyl story!

In the early 90s I started seeing this girl, she was totally into Pearl Jam, and soon converted me. She was going through a hell of a lot of problems at the time, and the music really helped her - and helped me as well, as someone deeply involved with her. At one point she wrote a really long letter to Eddie, saying how much the band's music had helped her deal with a lot of these issues. A number of weeks later she received two Fan Club singles in the post (the second one I think). One of them had handwritten in the top left hand corner 'EV'. I can remember her rushing round to my house to show me these - must have been 1992 / 1993 time.

We are still in contact although it's me that is much more into Pearl Jam today. From time to time I nag her about her old Pearl Jam vinyl from back in the day - like the Jeremy picture disc which was the first thing I ever bought her, when I saw it in the record store one day and thought of her. She always told me that she thought all her vinyl from those days was with her ex partner, who she is no longer in touch with - and I always say she should give him a shout and get back her precious records!

Anyway, she messaged me this weekend to say she had been back to her parents house and was clearing out the attic and they found loads of PJ stuff from those days - including this 7" with Eddie's scrawl on it. Ands she's giving it all to me!

So, I am shortly to become the safe home for a whole lot of early PJ memorabilia and vinyl etc - I'm not quite sure what she has, but when I receive it I will post some pics here. I'm curious now to see what she has! A little slice of history coming my way.

• Options
    tremors wrote:

In the early 90s I started seeing this girl, she was totally into Pearl Jam, and soon converted me. She was going through a hell of a lot of problems at the time, and the music really helped her - and helped me as well, as someone deeply involved with her. At one point she wrote a really long letter to Eddie, saying how much the band's music had helped her deal with a lot of these issues. A number of weeks later she received two Fan Club singles in the post (the second one I think). One of them had handwritten in the top left hand corner 'EV'. I can remember her rushing round to my house to show me these - must have been 1992 / 1993 time.

We are still in contact although it's me that is much more into Pearl Jam today. From time to time I nag her about her old Pearl Jam vinyl from back in the day - like the Jeremy picture disc which was the first thing I ever bought her, when I saw it in the record store one day and thought of her. She always told me that she thought all her vinyl from those days was with her ex partner, who she is no longer in touch with - and I always say she should give him a shout and get back her precious records!

Anyway, she messaged me this weekend to say she had been back to her parents house and was clearing out the attic and they found loads of PJ stuff from those days - including this 7" with Eddie's scrawl on it. Ands she's giving it all to me!

So, I am shortly to become the safe home for a whole lot of early PJ memorabilia and vinyl etc - I'm not quite sure what she has, but when I receive it I will post some pics here. I'm curious now to see what she has! A little slice of history coming my way.
    Great story! :clap::clap:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    tremors wrote:

Sweet story.....Sounds like the seeds of 2 lifelong obsessions for you
    On a side note...I really love how record collections so often serve as heirlooms that don't just get stuck on a shelf or put away in a chest.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Sweet story.....Sounds like the seeds of 2 lifelong obsessions for you
    On a side note...I really love how record collections so often serve as heirlooms that don't just get stuck on a shelf or put away in a chest.

Haha! Yeah, you got me sussed Dewie - with my destructive obsessive tendencies!

I was thinking about poor Eddie though, and all the letters they must have received in those days - people pouring their hearts out and thinking he'd saved their lives. No wonder he went into hiding! :lol: I read once that the band have a complete library at Pearl Jam HQ - all alphabetical - with every letter written to the band organised by sender. I like to think Eddie read my girl's letter, and was so moved by it that he wrote something down for her on the single - and now it's coming to me!! ;)

But yeah, record collections are a great time capsule for memories and certain times. We are in a fortunate position I guess, with the focus of our unhealthy obsessions still active, still alive, and still putting out great music imo. I'm quite glad it's all a bit calmer than the 90s though!!

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,935
    recordsmaymedium.jpg

Finally got RSD Immortality, 99p for STBC, 50p for Prince and 180 gram Dinosaur Jr :) Shame about the fake Temple album (and those crappy PJ re-issues... :D )
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    recordsmaymedium.jpg

Finally got RSD Immortality, 99p for STBC, 50p for Prince and 180 gram Dinosaur Jr :) Shame about the fake Temple album (and those crappy PJ re-issues... :D )

That Dinosaur Jr. album is a great album!
  • Options
    I 100% agree.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Great record! Let us know how it sounds :D

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Great record! Let us know how it sounds :D
    Definitely a great record. It should be arriving today. One of my all-time favorites. Now I get to own it on vinyl! :D
  • Options
    It arrived!!!! :D:D:mrgreen::mrgreen:

180 gram, all analog mastering, and ORIGINAL MONO ALBUM MIX!!! :D:D

Can't wait to listen to it!!
  • Options
    Why does the good stuff have to be so damn expensive? :lol:

Speaking of which, I 'won' No Code off eBay last night...was convinced it was going to go above my max bid but thankfully it didn't come close despite somebodies last second stealth bid. I'm new to all this stuff so was pretty exciting :D

Can't wait to get it on the turntable.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah! I would love to hear how those mono mixes sound - I have a lot of Bob Dylan on the original 60s mono, and the kind of sad person I have become I will probaby end up buying some of the recent reissues, and comparing them! No wonder I have no money.

Speaking of which later today I am going to seek out a shop I bought some amazing 60s and 70s vinyl from last year - they were at a record fair I went to, and had an amazing stock. They are pretty local and I just phoned them - I don't think I will be disappointed. Gonna drive over there today and see what I can pick up for £30.

Would be interested to read your review of the Dylan newch!

• Options
    cuseoscarcuseoscar Posts: 117
    Looking for a little help. Im very new to vinyl and so far I am enjoying it. I bought an "entry level" turntable and I have a decent speaker set up. Out of curiousity I decided to compare the sound of reissued VS. on my ipod vs. the vinyl. I noticed that on the same decibel level the ipod sounded louder and felt like an assualt on my ears when turned up. The vinyl sounded much more "balanced" and still enjoyable if I raised the volume on my receiver. I dont know if this is the true difference between the two mediums. I also noticed that the vinyl sounded less muffled and more crisp than the ipod using different albums, but didnt notice this in the VS. comparison. To me quality is not extremely drastic but noticeable. Maybe with better equipment the differences become more dramatic. I guess Im trying to understand the difference in sound between the two and was hoping for a simple explanation as to why vinyl is better.

Thanks!
  • Options
    joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    cuseoscar wrote:
    Looking for a little help. Im very new to vinyl and so far I am enjoying it. I bought an "entry level" turntable and I have a decent speaker set up. Out of curiousity I decided to compare the sound of reissued VS. on my ipod vs. the vinyl. I noticed that on the same decibel level the ipod sounded louder and felt like an assualt on my ears when turned up. The vinyl sounded much more "balanced" and still enjoyable if I raised the volume on my receiver. I dont know if this is the true difference between the two mediums. I also noticed that the vinyl sounded less muffled and more crisp than the ipod using different albums, but didnt notice this in the VS. comparison. To me quality is not extremely drastic but noticeable. Maybe with better equipment the differences become more dramatic. I guess Im trying to understand the difference in sound between the two and was hoping for a simple explanation as to why vinyl is better.

Thanks!

I guess it depends on a lot of different things..... the type of files on your ipod and their bitrate will play a large part into that harshness you described....I'm not to sure on the mastering for the VS and Vitalogy vinyls but i believe a few people stated that backspacer and avocado were taken from the cd masters.... if thats the case here its bound to not sound as good. Your best bet is to get some original pressings of older albums (not PJ) if you can find them cheap enough and in playable condition and then compare that to a mp3 version on your ipod.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah! I would love to hear how those mono mixes sound - I have a lot of Bob Dylan on the original 60s mono, and the kind of sad person I have become I will probaby end up buying some of the recent reissues, and comparing them! No wonder I have no money.

Speaking of which later today I am going to seek out a shop I bought some amazing 60s and 70s vinyl from last year - they were at a record fair I went to, and had an amazing stock. They are pretty local and I just phoned them - I don't think I will be disappointed. Gonna drive over there today and see what I can pick up for £30.

My review is probably simple. If you're a Dylan fan, experience the mono version. Get the album on vinyl in mono. It's the way Dylan would want you to listen to it. It sounds amazing. Get it and listen to it...especially with head phones on. Do it!
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

My review is probably simple. If you're a Dylan fan, experience the mono version. Get the album on vinyl in mono. It's the way Dylan would want you to listen to it. It sounds amazing. Get it and listen to it...especially with head phones on. Do it!

:thumbup:

I might have to do just that!