Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    Fucking hell! That is good. I think that is probably the first poem we've had in this thread (unless I wrote one in here sometime 12 months ago :lol: ). It's certainly the best one!!

And then i produce the text from where it was written... some old idealist, 1875...

It's Shelley "To A Skylark"

Hahaha - I like your style. I should think of some witty quip or riposte or something, but I am halfway through spinning the wall and need to get back to it. 'Mother' is calling!

If you are a Cure fan, check out the liner notes to 'Wish', I think that poem is in there.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051

If you are a Cure fan, check out the liner notes to 'Wish', I think that poem is in there.

I do like the Cure, especially Disintegration, but I don't think I have 'Wish'. I love a lot Shelley so I'm surprised I didn't recognise it! Very funny though.

I am just about to play

SIDE 3 OF THE WALL

need I say more?
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Sunny Day Real Estate - LP2 & Diary

quote]

Just had to jump in here - LOVE Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary is a wicked album ! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Here's a prophetic Wired article from 2007 I thought you guys might be interested in:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/musi ... gpost_1029

Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin
    By Eliot Van Buskirk 10.29.07

As counterintuitive as it may seem in this age of iPods and digital downloads, vinyl -- the favorite physical format of indie music collectors and audiophiles -- is poised to re-enter the mainstream, or at least become a major tributary.

Talk to almost anyone in the music business' vital indie and DJ scenes and you'll encounter a uniformly optimistic picture of the vinyl market.

"I'm hearing from labels and distributors that vinyl is way up," said Ian Connelly, client relations manager of independent distributor alliance IODA, in an e-mail interview. "And not just the boutique, limited-edition colored vinyl that Jesu/Isis-style fans are hot for right now."

Pressing plants are ramping up production, but where is the demand coming from? Why do so many people still love vinyl, even though its bulky, analog nature is anathema to everything music is supposed to be these days? Records, the vinyl evangelists will tell you, provide more of a connection between fans and artists. And many of today's music fans buy 180-gram vinyl LPs for home listening and MP3s for their portable devices.

"For many of us, and certainly for many of our artists, the vinyl is the true version of the release," said Matador's Patrick Amory. "The size and presence of the artwork, the division into sides, the better sound quality, above all the involvement and work the listener has to put in, all make it the format of choice for people who really care about music."

Because these music fans also listen using portable players and computers, Matador and other labels include coupons in record packaging that can be used to download MP3 versions of the songs. Amory called the coupon program "hugely popular."

Portability is no longer any reason to stick with CDs, and neither is audio quality. Although vinyl purists are ripe for parody, they're right about one thing: Records can sound better than CDs.

Although CDs have a wider dynamic range, mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible: It's the so-called loudness war. Since the audio on vinyl can't be compressed to such extremes, records generally offer a more nuanced sound.

Another reason for vinyl's sonic superiority is that no matter how high a sampling rate is, it can never contain all of the data present in an analog groove, Nyquist's theorem to the contrary.

"The digital world will never get there," said Chris Ashworth, owner of United Record Pressing, the country's largest record pressing plant.

Golden-eared audiophiles have long testified to vinyl's warmer, richer sound. And now demand for vinyl is on the rise. Pressing plants that were already at capacity are staying there, while others are cranking out more records than they did last year in order to keep pace with demand.

Don MacInnis, owner of Record Technology in Camarillo, California, predicts production will be up 25 percent over last year by the end of 2007. And he's not talking about small runs of dance music for DJs, but the whole gamut of music: "new albums, reissues, majors and indies ... jazz, blues, classical, pop and a lot of (classic) rock."

Turntables are hot again as well. Insound, an online music retailer that recently began selling USB turntables alongside vinyl, can't keep them in stock, according to the company's director, Patrick McNamara.

And on Oct. 17, Amazon.com launched a vinyl-only section stocked with a growing collection of titles and several models of record players.

Big labels still aren't buying the vinyl comeback, but it wouldn't be the first time the industry failed to identify a new trend in the music biz.

"Our numbers, at least, don't really point to a resurgence," said Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America's director of communications. Likewise, Nielsen SoundScan, which registered a slight increase in vinyl sales last year, nonetheless showed a 43 percent decrease between 2000 and 2006.

But when it comes to vinyl, these organizations don't really know what they're talking about. The RIAA's numbers are misleading because its member labels are only now beginning to react to the growing demand for vinyl. As for SoundScan, its numbers don't include many of the small indie and dance shops where records are sold. More importantly, neither organization tracks used records sold at stores or on eBay -- arguably the central clearinghouse for vinyl worldwide.

Vinyl's popularity has been underreported before.

"The Consumer Electronics Association said that only 100,000 turntables were sold in 2004. Numark alone sold more than that to pro DJs that year," said Chris Roman, product manager for Numark.

And the vinyl-MP3 tag team might just hasten the long-predicted death of the CD.

San Francisco indie band The Society of Rockets, for example, plans to release its next album strictly on vinyl and as MP3 files.

"Having just gone through the process of mastering our new album for digital and for vinyl, I can say it is completely amazing how different they really sound," said lead singer and guitarist Joshua Babcock in an e-mail interview. "The way the vinyl is so much better and warmer and more interesting to listen to is a wonder."

• Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    just went to my local record store in Westport, CT and picked up the following:

-Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (Live)
    -Duane Allman - An Anthology
    -Pink Floyd - Animals
    -Pete Townshend - Scoop
    -U2 - Rattle & Hum (Live)
    -Jeff Beck - Truth

all are used, original issue LPs except for Jeff Beck (which is new and reissued)

edit: btw, a regular customer dropped off his entire collection (thats how i got all the above except Jeff Beck) including many unreleased Frank Zappa records and other Zappa hits, favorites, etc. - all 12" LPs...PM me for more info
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    just went to my local record store in Westport, CT and picked up the following:

-Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (Live)
    -Duane Allman - An Anthology
    -Pink Floyd - Animals
    -Pete Townshend - Scoop
    -U2 - Rattle & Hum (Live)
    -Jeff Beck - Truth

all are used, original issue LPs except for Jeff Beck (which is new and reissued)

edit: btw, a regular customer dropped off his entire collection (thats how i got all the above except Jeff Beck) including many unreleased Frank Zappa records and other Zappa hits, favorites, etc. - all 12" LPs...PM me for more info

Sounds great! Animals is one of the most underrated Floyd records I think. I just picked up a better copy of After the Goldrush, needed to clean it up, but having done so it sounds superb! Zappa fans take note.

• Options
    Weather permitting, today me and my brother are going to take a trip to a great Oxfam I found on my last holiday here up North, and spend spend spend his Xmas present to me! I'm expecting to find a few vintage second hand records, although he hasn't told me what the budget is yet!! Should be good.....

• Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,239
    tremors wrote:
    Weather permitting, today me and my brother are going to take a trip to a great Oxfam I found on my last holiday here up North, and spend spend spend his Xmas present to me! I'm expecting to find a few vintage second hand records, although he hasn't told me what the budget is yet!! Should be good.....

Sounds good, I inend to visit my local vinyl store on Thursday or Friday, spend some of my Christmas money (but not too much as I need to start work on a tour fund!).
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Sounds good, I inend to visit my local vinyl store on Thursday or Friday, spend some of my Christmas money (but not too much as I need to start work on a tour fund!).

The weather relented, and we spent the day in what has easily become my favourite 'vinyl town' in the North of England. The place is awash with classic albums!!! Cannot return until I have a budget again – too much to choose from.......

Today's buys can broadly be divided into three camps – 'stocking fillers' from a great selection at the Barnardo's charity shop for children and young people who have often suffered abuse; 'great albums' from Oxfam that help third world famine, and 'pure vintage magic'!

In the stocking-fillers category I picked up the Local Hero soundtrack by Mark Knopfler, Catch Bull at Four by Cat Stevens (also belonging in the 'great records' category, Running in the Family by Level 42 (used to enjoy this on cassette as a youngster), and Changing Faces, the Best of 10cc Godley and Creme.

In the 'great albums' category, at £4 or £5 a piece I got

REM, Eponymous

rem-eponymous.jpg

Crowded House,

Crowded_house.jpg

After the Goldrush (second copy in two weeks – an early thick pressing, looks mint, am definitely spoilt for choice with this record now!)

gatefold.jpg

And the piece of magic, a 1969 Island pressing of this stunning record

00171a64_medium.jpeg00171a68_medium.jpeg

To afford this I had to pass up vintage copies of Pet Sounds and Younger than Yesterday (Byrds). I'm pretty sure I made the right choice!!

EDIT: will post a photo of this playing on my turntable when back home tomorrow!

• Options
    Dare I ask how much the Fairport was?,do i need this :o:lol: .Passed on a copy in a local charity shop,not too bad a price but the vinyl was f***ed;did get a nice reissue of Sandy Dennys second solo album Sandy for £10 from Fopp though.
  • Options
    r1bazza wrote:
    Dare I ask how much the Fairport was?,do i need this :o:lol: .Passed on a copy in a local charity shop,not too bad a price but the vinyl was f***ed;did get a nice reissue of Sandy Dennys second solo album Sandy for £10 from Fopp though.

It wasn't cheap! Mine is a 1969 early pressing, might be a first pressing. Whilst not mint the vinyl looks about as good as you could expect a record of that age that has been played a few times to look. Better probably. As a result I thought the £25 they were asking was well worth it, especially since I have never ever seen this record before, not even at record fairs. Also it goes to a great charity. I expect I could have found it on ebay for cheaper, given enough time and attention, but with second hand record hunting sometimes you don't know what you are looking for until you see it in front of you. Also you get to have a good look at the thing. It will probably be on ebay, and I do love my early pressings. 90% of the time they sound a hundred times better. I had a look on ebay recently for the kinks village green preservation society, but it's hardly to be found at all. Some records which didn't sell millions at the time are pretty hard to find in the original. That kinks I will look out for on my travels, and I think it will find its way to me in the next couple of years!! :) have a look for liege and lief on ebay though. It might be accessible. Oxfam have to price to deter the ebay 'flipping', and my observation is that in the last couple of years they are getting their pricing and grading much fairer and more accurate, and they are quite competitive now, especially for old records that conscientious old record lovers seem to be bringing in currently. They do online vinyl on their website too now. Might be worth looking at for fairport. Oxfam are my first choice for vinyl these days. Am rarely disappointed now I know what kind of thing they are strong on! :)

• Options
    pjliegeandlief150-1-1-1_0.jpg

• Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    tremors wrote:

Crowded House,

Crowded_house.jpg

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    I have a winery tasting room in Walla Walla WA (called Sleight of Hand Cellars, go figure) which I opened in 2007 and I have been playing vinyl in the tasting room from day 1. People love the concept, and it still has this "kitsh" factor that people dig. I let them pick out whatever they want, I currently have about 400 lp's, about 25% are new purchases, the rest are either albums I have owned for a while, or used albums I have purchased in Seattle (Jive Time Records and Easy Street) and also here in Walla Walla (Hot Poop Records).
    "Worship the music, not the musician"
    EV
    4/16/92 ; 7/22/92 ; 9/20/92 ; 12/7/93 ; 6/7/95 ; 9/14/96 ; 9/16/96 ; 9/1/98 ; 11/2/00 ; 10/22/01 ; 12/6/02 ; 12/8/02 ; 5/30/03 ; 7/6/03 ; 7/8/03 ; 7/9/03 ; 10/22/03 ; 11/24/03 ; 9/1/05 ; 9/2/05 ; 7/9/06 ; 7/10/06 ; 7/22/06 ; 7/23/06 ; 8/22/2009 ; 8/23/2009 ; 9/21/2009 ; 9/22/2009 ; 9/3/2011 ; 9/4/2011
  • Options
    I have a winery tasting room in Walla Walla WA (called Sleight of Hand Cellars, go figure) which I opened in 2007 and I have been playing vinyl in the tasting room from day 1. People love the concept, and it still has this "kitsh" factor that people dig. I let them pick out whatever they want, I currently have about 400 lp's, about 25% are new purchases, the rest are either albums I have owned for a while, or used albums I have purchased in Seattle (Jive Time Records and Easy Street) and also here in Walla Walla (Hot Poop Records).

LOVE THIS!!

• Options
    doompony wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Crowded House,

Crowded_house.jpg

This is sounding superrrrrbbbbb! Just added some oil to the springs in my turntable, and adjusted some settings and the sound is even fuller and richer - especially on the bass. Very well balanced, vocals sounding like he's in the room - so natural! I was going to post a pic of this spinning but realise I have left my fone at my Dad's house - so I'm stuck here with Crowded House and doompony. What a terrible thought! Could be worse though

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Is that an Ariston tt with a Rega arm there?

Here's mine,an eighties Linn lp12 with newer Roksan arm and Ortofon Kontra b cart(pic shows it with a denon cart)spinning a red/plum pressing of Led Zep2;

5306092259_9da44941cc_z.jpg

That's a good price for the Fairport;been caught a few times with copies which are a bit duff(the zep 2 above is a bit iffy although it would probably be better with a run on a cleaning machine)althoug have got plenty of bargains especially 80's stuff(Smiths,Icicle Works,Echo & the bunnymen etc) so I can't complain.
  • Options
    r1bazza wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Is that an Ariston tt with a Rega arm there?

Here's mine,an eighties Linn lp12 with newer Roksan arm and Ortofon Kontra b cart(pic shows it with a denon cart)spinning a red/plum pressing of Led Zep2;

5306092259_9da44941cc_z.jpg

That's a good price for the Fairport;been caught a few times with copies which are a bit duff(the zep 2 above is a bit iffy although it would probably be better with a run on a cleaning machine)althoug have got plenty of bargains especially 80's stuff(Smiths,Icicle Works,Echo & the bunnymen etc) so I can't complain.

It's an ariston rd80 with Linn Basik tonearm - they always say it was a rival to the Linn lp12 back in the day, and there are some arguments about who nicked the design off who. It's a lot cheaper than the linn these days! :lol: I love this to bits - it's the first tt I've ever had with a sprung platter, and it makes all the difference. I've been tempted to buy me a second one, the second hand price is so good - but I think I will wait until my one breaks or something. I've owned a fair few turntables in my time, but this one takes the cake - especially on the 60s and 70s stuff, probably because of the 'sprungness' - such a resonant sound that sounds just like real instruments - which is what I want in my vinyl.

I bet your LP12 sounds good. If I had more money I would go for a Linn, after my great experience with the Ariston, but I figure with my slightly irresponsible attitude to looking after my gadgets, I might be better getting another one of these again! All good fun! How do you find your LP12?

By the way I have seen two copies of Liege and Lief on the Oxfam online website right now - the slightly later island pressings, looking at the label - the same labels as Cat Stevens' 70s releases from them. They are going cheaper than I paid though!

(ahhh - a good looking red / plum Led Zep II on a 1980s turntable - a person after my own heart!! :lol: )

• Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    tremors wrote:
    doompony wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Crowded House,

Crowded_house.jpg

This is sounding superrrrrbbbbb! Just added some oil to the springs in my turntable, and adjusted some settings and the sound is even fuller and richer - especially on the bass. Very well balanced, vocals sounding like he's in the room - so natural! I was going to post a pic of this spinning but realise I have left my fone at my Dad's house - so I'm stuck here with Crowded House and doompony. What a terrible thought! Could be worse though

all i can say is "WHOOO!!! CROWDED HOUSE!!! WHOOO!!!!"
  • Options
    IMG00055-20110117-1653-1-1.jpg

• Options
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

hows it sounding

Good!! Very different from the promo CD - will need time to listen properly. Am going away for a few days, so will take the CD that came in the box set as part of my travelling companion. This time next week I should be able to give you a review of all formats!!

• Options
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

hows it sounding

Just finishing side 4. Shit, What can you say? Pearl Jam eh? Gotta love Pearl Jam, gotta live vinyl!

Viva all of the above

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,903
    TONIGHT!!!!

loxl2.jpg

+

fisherprice.jpg

=

stereo.gif :P
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    TONIGHT!!!!

loxl2.jpg

+

fisherprice.jpg

=

stereo.gif :P

GO FOR IT D!!!

• Options
    Just got my nice vinyl of Brad 'Best Friends?' from 10C a fwe days ago. I've never actually heard Brad before but I thought it was worth a punt and it sounds great. Nice, clean music. It lifts you up.
    Cheap too, the shipping and cost of other vinyl thro 10C was much higher, I think. Maybe it's cos I also got a hoodie so I only paid shipping once.
  • Options
    would still sound better on there then a cd :lol:

tremors what will i do with out you for a few days

I've been and come back! This internet thing is portable you know!

• Options
    Just got my nice vinyl of Brad 'Best Friends?' from 10C a fwe days ago. I've never actually heard Brad before but I thought it was worth a punt and it sounds great. Nice, clean music. It lifts you up.
    Cheap too, the shipping and cost of other vinyl thro 10C was much higher, I think. Maybe it's cos I also got a hoodie so I only paid shipping once.

I need to hear more Brad - I always like them a lot when I hear them. I think if they weren't connected to Pearl Jam I would probably be more interested..... sounds weird, but you might get what I mean!

• Options
    tremors wrote:

I need to hear more Brad - I always like them a lot when I hear them. I think if they weren't connected to Pearl Jam I would probably be more interested..... sounds weird, but you might get what I mean!

I'm with you. That is why I had never heard them before! But I'm really enjoying it. Not every song is a gem but the good ones are very very good. They are warm and gentle.