Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Newch91 wrote:
    :lol::lol:
    No problem. I just finished listening to the first side of the first record and... :o:o:o Subterranean Homesick Alien was like sex to the ear. I'll never be able to listen to the CD version again the same way.

:D:lol:
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    All the vinyl I bought in my village store back in the Uk arrived this week. That's not bad for my old man, it only took him 4 months to call the courier company (!) It contained:

Self-titled albums by Pretenders, Roger Daltrey, Iron Maiden, Ricky Lee Jones, Billy Jo Spears Roy Buchanan, Curtis Mayfield and collections of Muddy Waters, BB King, John Lee hoooker and Gershwin and...:
    Rush - 2112
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In an aeroplane
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions, Songs in the key
    Roxy Music - Flesh and blood
    Stiff Little Fingers - Nobody's heroes
    Fleetwood Mac - Tusk, Tango, Rumours
    Stranglers - Black and white
    Elton - Madman, Honky chateau
    Queen - night at the opera
    Black flag - lungs
    Niel Diamond - beautiful music
    Wedding present - tommy
    Who - tommy, who's next
    Eagles- on the border
    They might be giants - flood
    king crimson - court...
    simon and gar - bookends
    sparklehorse - vivadixie...
    10cc - bloody tourists
    thin lizzy - jailbreak
    bowie - low
    herp albert - tijuana taxi
    new order - low life
    wings - band on the run
    and the cabaret OST

Plenty to get through over the next few months! My rules for buying vinyl were nothing I have on CD already, everything under a tenner (most of the above were 1 to 3 quid) and don't start collecting pearl jam!

:)
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    All the vinyl I bought in my village store back in the Uk arrived this week. That's not bad for my old man, it only took him 4 months to call the courier company (!) It contained:

Self-titled albums by Pretenders, Roger Daltrey, Iron Maiden, Ricky Lee Jones, Billy Jo Spears Roy Buchanan, Curtis Mayfield and collections of Muddy Waters, BB King, John Lee hoooker and Gershwin and...:
    Rush - 2112
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In an aeroplane
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions, Songs in the key
    Roxy Music - Flesh and blood
    Stiff Little Fingers - Nobody's heroes
    Fleetwood Mac - Tusk, Tango, Rumours
    Stranglers - Black and white
    Elton - Madman, Honky chateau
    Queen - night at the opera
    Black flag - lungs
    Niel Diamond - beautiful music
    Wedding present - tommy
    Who - tommy, who's next
    Eagles- on the border
    They might be giants - flood
    king crimson - court...
    simon and gar - bookends
    sparklehorse - vivadixie...
    10cc - bloody tourists
    thin lizzy - jailbreak
    bowie - low
    herp albert - tijuana taxi
    new order - low life
    wings - band on the run
    and the cabaret OST

Plenty to get through over the next few months! My rules for buying vinyl were nothing I have on CD already, everything under a tenner (most of the above were 1 to 3 quid) and don't start collecting pearl jam!

:)

Quality! A vinyl fest and no mistake. Some awesome albums in that lot. Enjoy! (Band on the run vinyl..... *sigh*)

I had this when I got my turntable back. When I knew it was coming I'd started buying second hand records, along the lines you described. I had about 15 new second hand records by the time it came back. I think I just stayed in for the weekend!! :D

• Options
    Of course, with 3 little ones in the house, I don't find whole afternoons to spend listening to records but I do try to listen to an album in full, with the door closed and no distractions, if I get the chance. It's not like a CD where you can just put on one song and be done with it. They need to be listened to a side at a time.

It'll take me a while to do them all justice but right now I'm loving the Pretenders album, I've always had a soft spot for Brass In Pocket and the rest is great too.

And my Songs In The Key Of Life is my fave. It's a double yellow vinyl with a ltd ed yellow 7" in there too. It's a beauty.

My wedding present 'Tommy' completes the bands collection, as I have everything else on CD (apart from Ukrainski!)

The other Tommy, by the Who, I am waiting to listen to whilst burning a candle, as I was assured by the movie 'Almost Famous' that I'll see the future if I do so :)
  • Options
    Of course, with 3 little ones in the house, I don't find whole afternoons to spend listening to records but I do try to listen to an album in full, with the door closed and no distractions, if I get the chance. It's not like a CD where you can just put on one song and be done with it. They need to be listened to a side at a time.

It'll take me a while to do them all justice but right now I'm loving the Pretenders album, I've always had a soft spot for Brass In Pocket and the rest is great too.

And my Songs In The Key Of Life is my fave. It's a double yellow vinyl with a ltd ed yellow 7" in there too. It's a beauty.

My wedding present 'Tommy' completes the bands collection, as I have everything else on CD (apart from Ukrainski!)

The other Tommy, by the Who, I am waiting to listen to whilst burning a candle, as I was assured by the movie 'Almost Famous' that I'll see the future if I do so :)

:D

Yeah I don't have the problem of any brats to get in the way of me and my vinyl listening! Sounds like you will have fun going through them over the coming weeks. I have that Songs in the Key of Life, but mine is missing the 7" :( I have bought quite a lot of records in the past year that I owned on CD, but have never had on vinyl. Quite a revelation! I didn't know that about Tommy - I'll have to try that one! Sounds entirely possible

• Options
    I reckon that moving about 20 times in the last ten years means I've lost over a thousand Cds on my travels in various ways. So, that means replacing them on vinyl and ripping the originals from the net is acceptable. I never go into a vinyl shop looking for something in particular, I just love to be surprised. Having said that, there are things I always have my eye out for, like The Boys 'Alternative Chartbusters' but have never found at a decent price. If anyone is in the midlands, I recommend a trip to 'visual vinyl' near the M1, tiny shop but a good guy and a lot of stuff in the back room and elsewhere that he can't fit in the racks.
  • Options
    I reckon that moving about 20 times in the last ten years means I've lost over a thousand Cds on my travels in various ways. So, that means replacing them on vinyl and ripping the originals from the net is acceptable. I never go into a vinyl shop looking for something in particular, I just love to be surprised. Having said that, there are things I always have my eye out for, like The Boys 'Alternative Chartbusters' but have never found at a decent price. If anyone is in the midlands, I recommend a trip to 'visual vinyl' near the M1, tiny shop but a good guy and a lot of stuff in the back room and elsewhere that he can't fit in the racks.

Vinyl hunting is so much more fun than hunting stuff down on the web. You never know quite what you are going to find! Some absolute bargains to be found second hand - all the 1960s and 1970s vinyl seems to be coming out of collections where people have actually looked after it properly. Sometimes in a charity shop it is obvious there is one person's entire collection - and you can find a whole run of amazing things in mint condition. Just gotta keep your eyes open!

• Options
    I'm constantly disappointed by the vinyl stores I've visited in the UK. I hear about these treasure troves but it's all Walker Brothers albums and Band Aid singles. The best vinyl shopping I think I've done was a long time ago in the hip end of Queen's St in Bristol when I was at uni. However, with my parents living in the midlands I was still made up to find a store open in our village, no matter how small it is.

I am familiar with almost all of the stuff I bought but I hadn't really given the Stiff Little Fingers a spin before and I was fucking blown away by it yesterday. Un-f******-believable! I listened to it once and have been humming half the tracks all day today. It is infectively contagious and damned hooky and with cool lyrics. How did I get to my thirties without hearing that album before?
  • Options
    I've been lapping up the Oxfam specials in the last year or so. They can be a bit pricey - but they have LOADS of really good condition 60s and 70s stuff, on vintage early pressings - and they clean the records professionally too. The best records I've bought in the last 18 months, that get played and appreciated the most - were all bought from Oxfam. Every new town with a reasonably sized Oxfam is a potential treasure trove!! Well worth the extra money.

I got the Smiths Queen is Dead, Strangeways, Louder than Bombs and Meat is Murder, all on original rough trade label, and all in absolute mint condition from there, paid about a fiver for each one. Very good buy! :D

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    I got the Smiths Queen is Dead, Strangeways, Louder than Bombs and Meat is Murder, all on original rough trade label, and all in absolute mint condition from there, paid about a fiver for each one. Very good buy! :D

Re-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package !
    Re-evaluate the songs
    Double-pack with a photograph
    Extra Track (and a tacky badge)

That's what you need, forget this old vinyl nonsense!
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

Re-evaluate the songs

That is a great song. One of my favourite of his. Only makes sense when being played on the original vinyl tho ;)

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Re-evaluate the songs

You've got me started on a massive Smiths vinyl fest :lol: This could last a while! I would have to say that Morrissey is the best 'English' lyricist, and by quite a margin. I say English because he is so quintessentially English, and because for my money Dylan is unsurpassable on that front. Morrissey - the second greatest lyricist of all time! I'm feeling bold - but like Dylan, the writing is so painfully good that it makes you smile even when singing about abject misery :D

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Re-evaluate the songs

You've got me started on a massive Smiths vinyl fest :lol: This could last a while! I would have to say that Morrissey is the best 'English' lyricist, and by quite a margin. I say English because he is so quintessentially English, and because for my money Dylan is unsurpassable on that front. Morrissey - the second greatest lyricist of all time! I'm feeling bold - but like Dylan, the writing is so painfully good that it makes you smile even when singing about abject misery :D
    Tremors...I'm going to have to disagree with you. Like you, I agree that Dylan is the greatest lyricist of all time, but John Lennon is the second greatest. No one before or after has written lyrics like Lennon did where he stood naked and bared all to everyone (no pun).
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    "Newch wrote:
    91Tremors...I'm going to have to disagree with you. Like you, I agree that Dylan is the greatest lyricist of all time, but John Lennon is the second greatest. No one before or after has written lyrics like Lennon did where he stood naked and bared all to everyone (no pun).

I dunno, it's a close call but I'll throw my had in the ring for Morrissey. I'll pick one album and I'm sure it'll be full of genius:

"I didn't realise you wrote poetry, I didn't realise you wrote such bloody awful poetry"

"I broke into the palace with a sponge and rusty spanner, she said "I know you and you cannot sing", I said "That's nothing you should hear me play piano"

"some girls are bigger than others, some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers"

...are just piss funny whilst other lyrics are heartbreaking but simple...

"If a double decker bus, crashes into us, to die by your side, the pleasure and the privelege is mine"

"That's why you're on your own tonight
    With your triumphs and your charms
    While they're in each other's arms..."
    It's so easy to laugh
    It's so easy to hate
    It takes guts to be gentle and kind
    Over, over
    Not tonight, my love
    Love is Natural and Real
    But not for such as you and I, my love
    Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
  • Options
    KarleyKarley Posts: 506
    I'm constantly disappointed by the vinyl stores I've visited in the UK. I hear about these treasure troves but it's all Walker Brothers albums and Band Aid singles. The best vinyl shopping I think I've done was a long time ago in the hip end of Queen's St in Bristol when I was at uni. However, with my parents living in the midlands I was still made up to find a store open in our village, no matter how small it is.

The two best record stores ever are in Manchester: Vinyl Exchange and KingBee Records. If you're into Electronic Music you HAVE to visit Vinyl Exchange.
    <object height="305" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="305" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" favorite tracks!</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    Just had a nice little surprise haul from my local Oxfam. I keep my eye on what they have, so notice when new stuff comes in. Spotted immediately today that there was someone's new collection just come in, and almost had a heart attack when I saw some of em! Clearly someone who likes their music, doesn't know how to take care of sleeves, but the records were all immaculate. Dirt cheap too largely.

I picked up

Bob Marley - Survival - my favourite of his, never owned it on vinyl. Nice thick pressing.
    Bob Dylan, Hard Rain - Looks mint, early thick pressing
    Pink Floyd - The Wall. I already own one scratched copy of this, and one warped one - so hopefully this will be the one!
    The Jam - In The City - sleeve completely messed up, record thick early pressing, looks immaculate
    Lennon / Ono - Double Fantasy. Great condition early pressing, sleeve perfect, record sparkling

This haul confirms my record buying strategy - let them come to you!! :D

• Options
    Karley wrote:

The two best record stores ever are in Manchester: Vinyl Exchange and KingBee Records. If you're into Electronic Music you HAVE to visit Vinyl Exchange.

EDIT: I meant to say 'charity stores'!
  • Options

I dunno, it's a close call but I'll throw my had in the ring for Morrissey. I'll pick one album and I'm sure it'll be full of genius:

"I didn't realise you wrote poetry, I didn't realise you wrote such bloody awful poetry"

"I broke into the palace with a sponge and rusty spanner, she said "I know you and you cannot sing", I said "That's nothing you should hear me play piano"

"some girls are bigger than others, some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers"

...are just piss funny whilst other lyrics are heartbreaking but simple...

"If a double decker bus, crashes into us, to die by your side, the pleasure and the privelege is mine"

"That's why you're on your own tonight
    With your triumphs and your charms
    While they're in each other's arms..."
    It's so easy to laugh
    It's so easy to hate
    It takes guts to be gentle and kind
    Over, over
    Not tonight, my love
    Love is Natural and Real
    But not for such as you and I, my love
    Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head

Yeah Morrisey is a complete master of the tragic and the comic going hand in hand. To be able to evoke utter misery and be funny about it at the same time - that is some great great talent! True I would find it hard to choose between Lennon's songwriting overall, but Mozza I think is one of the few songwriters other than Dylan whose words stand up there with the best literary writing of any age. Lennon and McCartney you can't beat for songs to sing, and to love. But for the sheer exhileration of hearing someone sing the words - Dylan and Morrissey for me!! This one stood out for me today, such a painfully witty description of two 'melancholics'

A dreaded sunny day
    So I meet you at the cemetery gates
    Keats and Yeats are on your side

A dreaded sunny day
    So I meet you at the cemetery gates
    While Wilde is on mine

So we go inside and we gravely read the stones
    All those people all those lives
    Where are they now?
    With the loves and hates
    And passions just like mine
    They were born
    And then they lived and then they died
    Seems so unfair
    And I want to cry

You say: "ere thrice the sun done salutation to the dawn"
    And you claim these words as your own
    But I've read well, and I've heard them said
    A hundred times, maybe less, maybe more

If you must write prose and poems
    The words you use should be your own
    Don't plagiarise or take "on loans"
    There's always someone, somewhere
    With a big nose, who knows
    And who trips you up and laughs
    When you fall
    Who'll trip you up and laugh
    When you fall

You say: "ere long done do does did"
    Words which could only be your own
    And then you then produce the text
    From whence was ripped some dizzy whore, 1804

A dreaded sunny day
    So let's go where we're happy
    And I meet you at the cemetery gates
    Oh Keats and Yeats are on your side

A dreaded sunny day
    So let's go where we're wanted
    And I meet you at the cemetery gates
    But you lose because Wilde is on mine!!

• Options
    Karley wrote:

EDIT: I meant to say 'charity stores'!

Yeah I thought that's what you meant. I like charity record shopping, keeps me out of trouble. But I've settled on the Oxfams as where the real gold lives! And there are loads of em!

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Tremors...I'm going to have to disagree with you. Like you, I agree that Dylan is the greatest lyricist of all time, but John Lennon is the second greatest. No one before or after has written lyrics like Lennon did where he stood naked and bared all to everyone (no pun).

By the way, which Lennon album was the one he made just after attending primal scream therapy?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

By the way, which Lennon album was the one he made just after attending primal scream therapy?

Would that be John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band? Sounds like it could that one be from some of the songs, some of my favourites of his

Mother
    Working Class Hero
    Isolation
    God

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Would that be John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band? Sounds like it could that one be from some of the songs, some of my favourites of his

Mother
    Working Class Hero
    Isolation
    God

"Plastic Ono Band was nick-named "the Primal Album," as John had composed most of it during the course of four months at Arthur Janov's Primal Institute in Los Angeles. Lennon was initiated into Dr. Janov's radical therapy by the latter's The Primal Scream, which had been sent to him at the author's request. After undergoing three weeks of intensive therapy with Dr. Janov in England, the Lennons agreed to come to California in April 1970 for the full treatment, in which patients relive key experiences that trigger blood-curdling Primal Screams which, the psychologist contends, can exorcize the root causes of all their neuroses."

• Options
    Tremors answered it. I love that album. I need to find that one on vinyl.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Thanks God we didn't get into an argument of Lennon vs Morrissey! That is not something I would ever want to do :lol:

Yes, I would like to hear that album on my record player!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Thanks God we didn't get into an argument of Lennon vs Morrissey! That is not something I would ever want to do :lol:

Haha that argument would be through PMs. I will add this: Across the Universe has some of the greatest lyrics ever.

Too bad Amazon didn't have POB available.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Haha that argument would be through PMs. I will add this: Across the Universe has some of the greatest lyrics ever.

Too bad Amazon didn't have POB available.

I love the song! For me there are some songs where I like the words for how they are in the song - this is hard for me to describe..... Like I love the Beatles songs to listen to, with the words, the doors too, loads of good bands. Then there are a few lyricists where the words are so good I get off on them in their own way within the music - Dylan, Morrissey, Elvis Costello come to mind in this category. Pearl Jam for me are kind of in a category of their own! Special!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Yeah Morrisey is one of the only people to speak of utter misery and be funny about it at the same time - that is some great great talent!

I completely agree with the part about Mozza being able to mix the tragic and comic, it is a rare skill. I've been thinking about it and composed this short poem about what his words say to me:

"We look before and after
    And pine for what is not
    Our sincerest laughter, with some pain is fraught;
    Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought."

I think it's rather good, if I do say so myself :)
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Yeah Morrisey is one of the only people to speak of utter misery and be funny about it at the same time - that is some great great talent!

I completely agree with the part about Mozza being able to mix the tragic and comic, it is a rare skill. I've been thinking about it and composed this short poem about what his words say to me:

"We look before and after
    And pine for what is not
    Our sincerest laughter, with some pain is fraught;
    Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought."

I think it's rather good, if I do say so myself :)

Fucking hell! That is good. I think that is probably the first poem we've had in this thread (unless I wrote one in here sometime 12 months ago :lol: ). It's certainly the best one!!

edit. unless you're plagiarising god damn you!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Fucking hell! That is good. I think that is probably the first poem we've had in this thread (unless I wrote one in here sometime 12 months ago :lol: ). It's certainly the best one!!

And then i produce the text from where it was written... some old idealist, 1875...

It's Shelley "To A Skylark"
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

And then i produce the text from where it was written... some old idealist, 1875...

It's Shelley "To A Skylark"

Hahaha - I like your style. I should think of some witty quip or riposte or something, but I am halfway through spinning the wall and need to get back to it. 'Mother' is calling!