Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    A good haul! And weren't you saying a while back you never came across much decent second hand vinyl??

I think I meant I never come across any decent vinyl here in Poland. That little shop in my village back home is a real treasure trove. He also does some stuff on line: http://www.visual-vinyl.co.uk/
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    "Almost Famous" soundtrack arrived today on 200 gram vinyl!

200 gram is it now?? :crazy: I think they should go back to using some of the same wax they used in the 70s - slightly softer - some of those records sound so much better - and the weight is kind of medium often.
    I didn't know they went up to 200. Before I didn't know there was a 180. I was just used to the normal one that I think U2 still uses. I know they used the regular format for The Unforgettable Fire reissue, but not sure what they did for NLOTH.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Newch91 wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    "Almost Famous" soundtrack arrived today on 200 gram vinyl!

200 gram is it now?? :crazy: I think they should go back to using some of the same wax they used in the 70s - slightly softer - some of those records sound so much better - and the weight is kind of medium often.
    I didn't know they went up to 200. Before I didn't know there was a 180. I was just used to the normal one that I think U2 still uses. I know they used the regular format for The Unforgettable Fire reissue, but not sure what they did for NLOTH.

There is a 200 gram 12 inch 45 rpm version of bridge over troubled waters issued in the 70s that is supposed to sound amazing!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    The packaging for "Almost Famous" is awesome! Will post pictures later.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    tremors wrote:
    A good haul! And weren't you saying a while back you never came across much decent second hand vinyl??

I think I meant I never come across any decent vinyl here in Poland. That little shop in my village back home is a real treasure trove. He also does some stuff on line: http://www.visual-vinyl.co.uk/

Oh, I get ya! I didn't buy or look for any vinyl while out today - and I'm feeling the withdrawal!

I'm listening to Into the Wild lp right now though, and it's sounding sweeet - so no probs really.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Foo Fighters "Wasting Light" arrived today!! :D Will give the vinyl a listen either later or tomorrow.
  • Options
    ToHellURideToHellURide Posts: 145
    Limited edition MMJ vinyl looks pretty sweet: http://www.mymorningjacket.com/circuital/
  • Options
    t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    "*10 boxes selected at random will contain a "Golden Ticket" entitling the bearer to an original print signed by the band and Danny Clinch. One box will also include two all-access laminated passes to use at a Circuital 2011 live show of choice"

PJ should be doing this...I keep repeating this crap! Peeps go nuts for this. Same with the PJ20 stickers...they should have a thread asking people for pics where they see them...
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,935
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/40-sad-p ... ord-stores

Sad times - spin em while you can people!

Very excited about this saturday, even if I don't manage to grab any of the RSD goodies I have on my list then I'll be picking up the latest REM album at least.

Just been down there and they're opening at 8am but said there'd be somebody there from 7.30am who would be taking orders and getting them ready for when the doors open...could be an early start.

Also bought the latest Foos.

foosmedium.jpg
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options

Indeed!

I picked up two gems in the second hand store today - they have had a big collection arrive and I was spoilt for choice. Even though I already own both of these albums on wax, I couldn't resist two mint versions of my favourite albums that looked better than my existing ones. Not dirt cheap, but still cheaper than buying the CDs, or buying the (inferior) vinyl reissues. Sounding great!

AMCA_8310741__55138__01152009124714-2289.jpg

253499.JPG

• Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,342
    foobeka009-2.jpg
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    How do you all clean your vinyl for dusty/used records? Is there a certain brush you can recommend? Thanks!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    thebrigthebrig Posts: 394
    foobeka009-2.jpg

That's what I'm after Saturday morning!!! :D:D:D

Did a download coupon come with it?
    Mantis-2.gif
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,342
    thebrig wrote:
    foobeka009-2.jpg

Nope!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 267
    Better Dan wrote:
    How do you all clean your vinyl for dusty/used records? Is there a certain brush you can recommend? Thanks!

Dawn, warm water, and a soft bristle brush. Or, if you want to spend the money, a Spin Clean MkII. I got one for Christmas, and it is great. I've heard the record cleaning machines blow that away, but they also cost much more.

Once the record is clean, you pretty much just dust them while playing with a carbon fiber brush.
  • Options
    thebrig wrote:
    foobeka009-2.jpg

Nope!

Damn, I was hoping that would not be the case. I guess I need to take some time and learn how to rip from my TT to the computer.
  • Options
    Predaking wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

Dawn, warm water, and a soft bristle brush. Or, if you want to spend the money, a Spin Clean MkII. I got one for Christmas, and it is great. I've heard the record cleaning machines blow that away, but they also cost much more.

Once the record is clean, you pretty much just dust them while playing with a carbon fiber brush.

Thanks for this tip, I cleaned 'Talking book' with just water after reading your post and I can actually hear the record over the scraping and crackling noises now.

If one isn't going to invest in a cleaner like the SC2, do you know if it is worth adding any fluid to the water? I read a couple of recipes on-line, one was:
    4 parts water
    1 part pure alcohol
    7 drops of dishwashing detergent.

Any thoughts?
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Predaking wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

Thanks for this tip, I cleaned 'Talking book' with just water after reading your post and I can actually hear the record over the scraping and crackling noises now.

If one isn't going to invest in a cleaner like the SC2, do you know if it is worth adding any fluid to the water? I read a couple of recipes on-line, one was:
    4 parts water
    1 part pure alcohol
    7 drops of dishwashing detergent.

Any thoughts?

There is an entire thread devoted to this on audiokarma.org. It's a hotly debated topic, but the consensus is warm water, mild dish detergent, and a paintbrush or paint pad. Do not use anything too harsh. Some people rinse with a diH2O/IPA mixture. Towel dry with microfiber towels and allow to air dry for a little while. That's how I used to do it. I still wie dry with the microfiber towels.
  • Options
    jnuts721jnuts721 Posts: 36
    Stopped by Long in the Tooth in philly yesterday and scored the Alive 12" single and Off He Goes/Deadman 45 (this was in the bargain bin for 1.99!)...patiently waiting to go down to Repo on South Street for RSD
  • Options
    Was really excited about Record Store Day, my local shop Fives had the full exclusive list in the window and the young guy in there had told me they were opening at 8am, but I should get down there before 7.30 as they’d walk down the line taking peoples orders so they’d have them ready when the store opened. The night before, I passed the shop on the way home from a lush Chinese meal and noticed they had a smaller list with some titles crossed out and numbers written next to them. I figured this was a list of what they’d actually managed to secure for the day and out of that list there was only Hendrix that I wanted. I was a bit disheartened, but my wife convinced me that we should pop down just before it opened to get involved, then we could go for some breakfast.

We got there around 7.40am and already there were around 20 people stood waiting. The fella at the front had turned up a 5.15am, everybody was chatting (apart from a couple of shifty guys who looked like they’d only come down to eBay whatever they could get their hands on). Then a lady came over with a notepad and asked what I was after - she said they’d got pretty much everything on the main exclusive list and the smaller one I’d seen the night before was just from one supplier. I got very excited, but was also kicking myself for not coming down earlier! She said they should have Foo Fighters, Deftones (nobody had asked for that one), Chillis and Queen. But the three copies of Radiohead had already been taken, as had Hendrix and the guy in front of me had just requested their only copy of Beastie Boys. There was no Pearl Jam,. There may be a Gorillaz, if I was lucky…

Once the doors opened we all filed into the narrow shop and watched as the people in front started hovering up boxfulls of vinyl and tried to trick the staff into let them buy multiple copies. It was pretty exciting tbh, wondering whether there would be anything left by the time we reached the counter. Thankfully she’d set a bag aside for me with all but the Gorillaz in! The old guy, who had opened up the shop early for me last year so I could grab their only copy of Backspacer on release day, looked pretty shaken by the flurry of activity - I guess this was the busiest morning they’d seen for a while.

We sat in a near by café eating a fry-up and looking over our records before heading back to bed. What a fantastic experience and I‘ll definitely be doing this again next year! To make the day even more special, Amazon delivered the J Mascis album just as we got in, I grabbed the new Foos earlier in the week and collected the Satchel album from the post office. That afternoon was spent with the record player.

rsdmedium.jpg
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Went digging around in my parents place this weekend and found some goodies - also the Vitalogy LP I bought at a midnight opening which I had thought lost...very, very happy to have it back again - even though I'd ordered the reissue that very morning...typical eh?!

morevinylmedium.jpg
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    I'm eyeing the Bob Dylan mono box set. If I get a summer job, most likely the first two paychecks will go to that set.
  • Options
    Went digging around in my parents place this weekend and found some goodies - also the Vitalogy LP I bought at a midnight opening which I had thought lost...very, very happy to have it back again - even though I'd ordered the reissue that very morning...typical eh?!

morevinylmedium.jpg

Good haul! For some reason, out of all those classic records - the one I'm most excited to see is 3 Ft High and Rising!! Awesome!

• Options
    Its a great album, sadly the record has some pretty deep scratches on it - good knows how that happened. The Rolling Stones one sounds awesome, and I found the date and my late uncle's name written on the paper sleeve - I'm sure he'd be pleased to know its getting spun again.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Its a great album, sadly the record has some pretty deep scratches on it - good knows how that happened. The Rolling Stones one sounds awesome, and I found the date and my late uncle's name written on the paper sleeve - I'm sure he'd be pleased to know its getting spun again.

Zip still intact - record plays well - result!! Yeah, I hope someone spins my records when I'm gone too.

• Options
    Been looking out for the Vs and Vitalogy vinyl reissues - no luck, will have to order them.

On a brighter note I'm just spinning today's purchases! The new Stornaway album - nice! The Byrds, 'Untitled' which is mainly live and sounds brilliant (second hand), am yet to make it to Morrissey, Your Arsenal, which cost me a pound.

Been listening to both discs of the Ten Redux set today too - I tend to put it on when I want to adjust the turntable settings - since I know it so well, and when I get it sounding sweetest almost everything else sounds great too (I double check with Van Morssion's Moondance straight afterwards ;) ) *sigh* don't you just love vinyl??

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    tremors wrote:
    Been listening to both discs of the Ten Redux set today too - I tend to put it on when I want to adjust the turntable settings - since I know it so well, and when I get it sounding sweetest almost everything else sounds great too (I double check with Van Morssion's Moondance straight afterwards ;) ) *sigh* don't you just love vinyl??

I took a little sampling of Van Morrison not long ago and made Moondance my first dip into his pool. Not really sure on what reissue I got, but it sounds amazing. I love it when the "fog horns" come in on Into The Mystic, but the whole thing just sounds great.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    tremors wrote:

I took a little sampling of Van Morrison not long ago and made Moondance my first dip into his pool. Not really sure on what reissue I got, but it sounds amazing. I love it when the "fog horns" come in on Into The Mystic, but the whole thing just sounds great.

Glad you like it! I remember you posting that you'd picked that up, but I feared maybe you wouldn't like it so much - I have you down as being a bit of a 'heavy rock' sort (the led zep passion etc!)

Yeah, Moondance is a superb sounding record - the sound of his voice with the instruments, when you get it sounding right - it takes you places. That album, and the one before it - Astral Weeks, are my two essentials from Van - been listening to them both for about 22 years! :? You might like Astral Weeks - the sound is a bit thinner than moondance, but the singing is out of this world - he's having a kind of religious experience through this record. Also Dewie, you might be pleased to hear that Van used to point blank refuse to have Astral Weeks digitally remastered in any way (he might have relented by now, I'm not sure). It's completely original in the rock and roll canon - there's never been an album like it before or since. Elvis Costello famously said something similar..... Yep, Van has an amazing voice that a good turntable really brings to the fullest!

• Options
    MK186319MK186319 Posts: 186
    Here's a link to my Blog/website showing pictures and info of my vinyl collection, just started the site, I will be updating, so keep checking back, I have allot of vinyl to post. http://2f0r.zapd.co/