Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,148
    OceanStone wrote:
    I have a triple decker dead weather coming from Nashville.....cannot wait! :o:D:):D:D:)

How'd you get it? :o I heard it's extreme to get, there are hundreds waiting outside ThirdMan records store on the release day. I couldn't find any local records stores carry them.
    Yeah Snoop?! How'd you get your hands on one of these? I have ordered my 12" single in the hope that it's one of the randomTriples....Whats the deal? Come on spill the beans..... :D You didn't pay $500 to some flipper on ebay did you? :shock:

How much was the original price of one Triple Decker Dead Weather record anyways?
  • Options
    Third Man made 300 in total.....100 sold at Thirdman Record Store in Nashville...Not sure of the price but it would have been cheap...the rest have been randomly shipped to anyone that ordered the Blue Blood Blues 12" single and apparently a few were sent out to "brick and mortar" record stores around the States (maybe globally?)

The single was less than $10...could be a triple decker....I won't hold my breath...

The Triple Deckers on Ebay have been subject to some bogus bidding though.....instant $500 bids coming from the same bidders with 0 feedback...that sort of thing....
    New Zealand,95 Auckland 1 & 2, 98 Auckland & Wellington,
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
    Auckland & Christchurch 2009
    Melbourne 1&2 EV Solo 2011
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Fistful of Mercy vinyl arriving tomorrow!! Whoooooo!!!!
    Can't wait for it. I preordered it along with the CD so it should arrive sometime next week.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Fistful of Mercy vinyl arriving tomorrow!! Whoooooo!!!!
    Can't wait for it. I preordered it along with the CD so it should arrive sometime next week.
    Nice!! 8-) Enjoy!
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
  • Options
    OceanStone wrote:
    I have a triple decker dead weather coming from Nashville.....cannot wait! :o:D:):D:D:)

How'd you get it? :o I heard it's extreme to get, there are hundreds waiting outside ThirdMan records store on the release day. I couldn't find any local records stores carry them.
    Yeah Snoop?! How'd you get your hands on one of these? I have ordered my 12" single in the hope that it's one of the randomTriples....Whats the deal? Come on spill the beans..... :D You didn't pay $500 to some flipper on ebay did you? :shock:

I spent about 9 hours online the day of the sale......their website said they would be there for purchase, but alas, they were not............I callet TMR repeatedly throughout the day without an answer....but I called about 10 minutes or so after closing and was told that they were out and that they would give 50 out randomly to those who purchased the 12"..........I informed them that their site specifically stated they would be on sale and that I had been patiently refreshing for 9 hours and they assured me I would be taken care of.......just got my 12" in the mail the other day with a special bonus....thank you TMR and Dead Weather!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also one of the so-called flippers, but this will not be sold any time in the forseeable future...so take that nay-sayers :shock: :o
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    I'm no nay sayer....I just wanted to hear the story behind your triple decker score.....good for you.....
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing Snoopy, I have to say you are really patient, 9 hours on line refreshing and repeated phone calls. I would probably give up after one hour or so. Are you going to crack open that vinyl with Stanley Knife?
  • Options
    OceanStone wrote:
    Thanks for sharing Snoopy, I have to say you are really patient, 9 hours on line refreshing and repeated phone calls. I would probably give up after one hour or so. Are you going to crack open that vinyl with Stanley Knife?
    hey be careful cutting that thing open...I'd hate to hear you slipped and cut your wrist or something.....
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I fucking hate flippers..... :x
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    OceanStone wrote:
    hey be careful cutting that thing open...I'd hate to hear you slipped and cut your wrist or something.....

You live in Wanaka...man, I'm jealous! I went there a couple weeks ago for the first time and it felt like the home I've been waiting for my entire life. Gorgeous town- gotta make it back there again as soon as possible.
  • Options
    OceanStone wrote:

You live in Wanaka...man, I'm jealous! I went there a couple weeks ago for the first time and it felt like the home I've been waiting for my entire life. Gorgeous town- gotta make it back there again as soon as possible.
    What can I say?....I feel blessed each and everyday! Glad you enjoyed it! :D
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    ZIGGY GET BACK IN YOUR CAGE WHO LET YOU OUT .. :P

Cage? :shock: Do you wanna fight, thrilla? :x
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,355
    ZIGGY GET BACK IN YOUR CAGE WHO LET YOU OUT ..
    she is out cos...she has things to sent me.. 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,654
    So...

I've been toying with the idea of starting a vinyl collection for some time now... and I'm thinking about biting the bullet... but before I start, I need to figure out some tables. So, all you vinyl lovers out there, lay some recommendations on me please. Price is not really an issue, although I would like to keep it reasonable...

thanks in advance...

shep
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    edited October 2010
    Good day for upgrading some of my favourite albums to neater copies (cheaply) and completing my collection of the first ten 'Now' lps - got the elusive first one for 50p!!

2401198.jpg

I'm liking the sound coming from this series of lps - getting a big kick out of 1970s editions these days - thick, rich and carefully rendered!

LP9513.jpg

An upgrade to my all time favourite 'no-vocals' album - (although there is a bit of grunting!) Sleeve was fucked, but the vinyl is pristine!!

And the previously discussed 'Now 1' - a classic!! I remember when it came out.... when life was simple, I was a kid, and everybody listened to the same charts!!

6118x4q84VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Post edited by tremors on
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    So...

I've been toying with the idea of starting a vinyl collection for some time now... and I'm thinking about biting the bullet... but before I start, I need to figure out some tables. So, all you vinyl lovers out there, lay some recommendations on me please. Price is not really an issue, although I would like to keep it reasonable...

thanks in advance...

shep

Just wrote you a long annotated list of recs, but the browser crashed, so now I'm sulking!!

Here were some highlights of albums which really shine on vinyl I think, which I always go back to. I was saying something about sticking to early 1960s / 1970s editions where possible, but I'm getting boring....

Moondance, Astral Weeks, Rumours, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Dark Side of the Moon, Joshua Tree, The first two Shins records, Joni MItchell Blue, Led Zep II, III, IV, physical graffitti, houses of the holy, after the goldrush, harvest, live rust (NY), In Rainbows, OK computer, Tea for the Tillerman, Teaser and the Firecat, Born to run, darkness on the edge of town, all the Beatles, all the best Dylan, doors debut, strange days, LA woman..... the list goes on and on!!

If you tell me what kind of music you like - what bands, I'll give you my two pennies about which of their albums are most 'vinyl friendly' - if I've heard them. All of the above are so astonishingly good on vinyl it is almost impossible to enjoy the digital again I find - whereas other albums there is not always so much lost or gained....

• Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 267
    shep wrote:
    So...

thanks in advance...

shep

When I first started in January, I was told to look vintage gear. My TT now is a Dual 1229 from the 70's partnered with a Shure M97xE cartridge. It's not top of the line, but it performs well for now. I am actively looking to upgrade at this stage. Many people on a board I frequent recommend the Technics SL-1200 series. They have historically been DJ tables, however, many people have purchased them for daily use. The key would be finding one that has not been DJ'd to smithereens. I'm sure plenty of people here will extoll the virtues of the Music Hall and Rega tables.

I would say look for something solid from the 70s or early 80s. If it's made of plastic, or weighs only a couple of pounds, you probably want to steer clear, no matter the price tag. Check your local thrift stores, ebay auctions, and craigslist ads. Patience is key. My Dual ran me $40, and my Pioneer SX-1080 and HPM-100s ran me $200 and change. If your phone has internet, you can run a quick search for a potential purchase if you come across something. Some good old brands include AR, Dual, Thorens, Pioneer, and the aforementioned Technics SL. You basically want something that is upper middle to top of the line. And don't let brand names fool you... There are some great tables out there that fly under the radar because they were marketed by places like Radio Shack, JC Penny, etc.

Of course, once you find a table, plan on spending at least another $100 for a new cart/stylus. :lol:
  • Options
    Oh sorry - I thought you meant recommendations for records! my mistake - should have read more carefully. I swear by my one of these - and plan to buy another exactly the same when and if mine breaks. The Ariston RD80 was generally seen as a rival to the Linn LP12, and some say that Linn stole the design. A tenth of the price these days. Here's one on the market currently. Highly recommended!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ariston-transcripti ... 255dbbffab

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzpyq-2AUzGvig78i01zzrx4Rhajk6OUMNyfuw6OpA4ZDV44g&t=1&usg=__86w_G2dVHynOTzFW9fIufIxkurM=

(I've seen them go for much less than this one though!)

• Options
    van_morrison_astral_weeks_live_at_hollywood_bowl_vinyl_lp.jpg?w=300

Had this piece of wax for quite a while - since it came out. But listening a lot recently and loving it. Van is my all time favourite vocalist besides Vedder - he is a great musician, plays multiple instruments, and the way he uses his voice is often more like a saxophone than his saxophone playing!

This is an oak cask matured re-interpretation of his seminal album Astral Weeks - which everybody serious about music should own (as elvis costello says 'still the most adventurous record made in the rock medium'). I find that the live rendition, played through in entirety for the first time - has 40 years of hindsight, growth, development, reflection and musicianship behind it. It is the sound of an older man revisiting the formative mystical experience of his youth, and in a way 'laying it to rest'. Like many I have an almost religious regard for Astral Weeks, and am surprised to have sustained an almost religious awe for this live record. Astral Weeks and 'Astral Weeks Live' - like two bookends on the vinyl shelf - I'm sure it took the full 40 years for Van to be able to tackle this. He says 'I believe I've transcended' - then promptly gets embroiled in a lot of rank speculation from the tabloids - only to slam the door of his website tight shut! Good job you only believed, Van.....

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Fisful of Mercy vinyl and the CD came in today. So happy!!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to the Pinkerton Deluxe reissue. First week of November I think.
    Fenway 1 & 2 2016
    MSG 1 & 2 2016
    Central Park 2015
    Barclays 2, Seattle 2013
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Boston 1 & 2 2006
    Boston 1 2004
    Augusta 1996
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    i hate trade me. someone was selling a red daughter single and the same it's always the same fuckers who outbid me... i set an autobid and he just patiently waited and pounced.

i've never won a pj vinyl off trade me. each time i vow never to bother again.

sigh.

but on the plus side i also got my eddie vedder single the other day... and i very excitedly purchased jeff buckley's grace, alice in chains' dirt and bright eyes' digital ash in a digital urn on vinyl last tuesday.

must not go back to that shop until i am rich.
  • Options
    doompony wrote:
    i hate trade me. someone was selling a red daughter single and the same it's always the same fuckers who outbid me... i set an autobid and he just patiently waited and pounced.

i've never won a pj vinyl off trade me. each time i vow never to bother again.

sigh.

but on the plus side i also got my eddie vedder single the other day... and i very excitedly purchased jeff buckley's grace, alice in chains' dirt and bright eyes' digital ash in a digital urn on vinyl last tuesday.

must not go back to that shop until i am rich.

I'll send you a red daughter if you want - in return for a new cartoon!! :lol: I'm losing interest in my 45s - rarely play them, rarely even look at them!!

• Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    you're on! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Okay, my vinyl collection is arriving from the UK this week. Whenn I went back for the summer, I found a used vinyl shop in my village of 2000 people (?!) so I added a lot to my collection. Innervisions, first Maiden, Tusk, Black Flag, Rikki Lee Jones and on and on.

However, I just wanted to post a reply to the question regarding what deck to buy. I wouldn't recommend anything new. I bought a new one and it looks good but sounds horrible at mid-volume. Get a decent used table.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    And a recommendation... both Neutral Milk Hotel albums available for less that 15 quid on amazon. Genius.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    doompony wrote:
    you're on! :mrgreen:

Cool - PM me. I wanna see the cartoon first though!! :lol:

I fished it out of my 7" box, and I wouldn't say it is perfect - the vinyl probably is - will play it and check, but the sleeve has what they call 'ringwear' - which is I think when the record itself makes an impression on the sleeve. Anyway, maybe it will tide you over and allay your frustrations until you find a mint one!! It still looks great to me in the kind of oldskool PJ way these things do!! It's yours!

• Options
    Okay, my vinyl collection is arriving from the UK this week. Whenn I went back for the summer, I found a used vinyl shop in my village of 2000 people (?!) so I added a lot to my collection. Innervisions, first Maiden, Tusk, Black Flag, Rikki Lee Jones and on and on.

However, I just wanted to post a reply to the question regarding what deck to buy. I wouldn't recommend anything new. I bought a new one and it looks good but sounds horrible at mid-volume. Get a decent used table.

Sounds good - try and avoid that Polish folk music though! I agree with you about a used deck - in terms of 'bang per buck' you can get a lot more too.

I got all my vinyl back in one go a while ago - it was like hundreds of Christmases arriving all at the same time!! enjoy!