Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Fraser wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    c'mon - does a grown man really need a glow in the dark piece of vinyl?? I

YES! EVERY man, woman and child should own at least one piece of glow in the dark vinyl!

sadly this one can only be ordered by people who live in North America!....................damn you!

;) and i live in th uk...got to have frieends in the usa.. :P
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I think I finally gave up on collecting the' interesting' vinyl when I came home and found this in my bag many years ago.

l35137.jpg

What a lot of crap it was!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Yeah yeah, bought that when it came out mate ;) . Is one of my less worn ones too - plays perfectly. (Law of averages - 2010-1998 / 2010-1992. 6 years less wear!!

[congrats tho!! - is a very vinyl friendly record that!!]

• Options
    49579771.jpg

What the hell is this serial!! ?? I am beginning to get concerned about your listening habits :lol:

Picked this up yesterday from oxfam - have had a run of great deals on smiths records from them in the past year - now have meat is murder, strangeways, queen is dead and now this - all on the original Rough Trade label, and all playing flawlessly at £5 a piece. Great records!!

LouderThanBombs.jpg

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Just made an order from acousticsounds.....

ITW Reissue
    MMJ-Okonokos 4 LP boxset with 4 bonus tracks
    AIC-MTV Unplugged
    Black Crowes-The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion(hope I get one of the cleaner ones)
  • Options
    49579771.jpg

lmao it was one of my dads..dont think ill be playing it again...do you want it :lol::lol:

Think I can afford to pass on that offer!!

'This month tremors will mainly be collecting..... the 'Now that's What I call Music' LP series' - got 4 today @ 25pence each, 2 last week for one pound each, and 2 the week before for 50p each' I need numbers 1 and 5 I think it is to complete the first ten double albums!

• Options
    ive got 1-8 i tihnk..lol

the first is called "out now" i think

Do you have them on vinyl?? I thought that was just me.

I don't believe you're correct on that title Serial - I remember when it came out it was simply 'Now that's What I call Music' - no number cos I guess they didn't expect it to continue to 5000 sequels!

However, I don't think it's worth getting into a row about it - the day I fall out with a fellow pearl jam fan arguing about the 'now that's what I call music' series is probably the time to quit the forum (again!!) :lol:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    61ODlAOvX2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This customer review is from: Now That's What I Call Music Volume 1 (Re-Release Special Collectors Edition) (Audio CD)
    Now 1 was released in December 1983, and showcased all the best pop music could offer back then. Artists such as Duran Duran, UB40, Culture Club, and Rod Stewart were on it, and it came on double vinyl, and cassette. There wasn't a CD edition back then, so having this now, 25 years on is pretty cool.

The great thing about Now compilations back in the day, was they were varied and had a lot of music you enjoyed from the radio and Top Of The Pops, even the genres were varied, from the progressive rock of Genesis right through to UB40's laid back reggae - even a bit of new romantic for you too.

This CD has the best of 1983, including the remake of The Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love" from Phil Collins, UB40's cheesy "Red Red Wine" right through to darker tracks by The Cure, and lighter romantic stuff from The Human League.

This might not mean much to the younger generation, but Now was a breakthrough for us, it was the only compilation available that took all the best of 3 months music and made it available for a decent price. OK, a lot of the music is cheesy on it, but at least most of it was made by the artists, and written by songwriters, and actually performed by the people who wrote it.

The packaging is rather old skool too, a gatefold packaging, which reminds me of the vinyl I used to get back then.

Great to see this back, well worth a place in your collection.
    Post edited by tremors on

• Options
    Thought so, I'm not usually wrong on crappy 1980s pop music collections!! :lol:

• Options
    0009e0fa_medium.jpeg
    (the decade that style forgot!!)

I picked up a neat copy of Clapton's Journeyman (1989) today. I think I used to own this on cassette – and a lot of the songs sounded very familiar. I seem to remember it being hailed as a 'return to form' at the time, and whilst it is true if you were being unkind it could be seen as exhibiting some of the worst excesses of the 1980 rock traditions – 'massive' production, maybe 'washed out has-been' rockers peddling out a tired and regressive style of dinosaur music – listening today I thought it was more like a seasoned musician returning to his rock and blues roots; having survived lots of genuinely extreme situations such as drugs and destructive love affairs – and writing about his life - trying to square his history with this kind of 'mid life' where he is counting his blessings, glad to be alive, and finding traditional rock and roll forms a safe vehicle to express himself in, having come back from some real brinks.

The record sounds superb on vinyl - if you are ready to be charitable to the production value, and I guess if you are going to produce an immense riffing, rich production record, with lots of soloing and a bit of reverb, it helps a lot if you have in previous eras been known as Eric Clapton!

Two songs stand out both in terms of the immense sound from the turntable, and the lyrics – Pretending and Bad Love. Pretending – seems to describe quite candidly a clash between making music and having a home life – and feeling the value of both. Throughout the record there seems to be a lot of 'deliverance' found in just being loved, being stable, and still being able to play rock and roll.

Also I think Clapton was helped a lot in the 1980s by being almost 'resurrected' by Mark Knopfler and others with some weight on the 1980s scene. I remember first seeing Clapton live accompanying Dire Straits at one of the 'Free Nelson Mandela' concerts at Wembley, when I was a teenager who thought Mark Knopfler played a mean guitar (which I still do!!). Looking back I wouldn't be surprised if Eric had got a taxi to this concert straight from his rehab clinic! He didn't quite seem 'all there'! Journeyman sounds like his more sober and influential friends have really succeeded in pulling him out of the pit though – and the roster of accompanying and backing musicians (from the inlay) is pretty impressive – Chaka Khan, Womack and Womack, Robert Kray (...not forgetting Phil Collins!); and also one of my favourite Bass players, Pino Paladino. (Bass guitar is the one instrument I flirted with playing as a youth, and by the time I gave it away (saw sense!) I wasn't too bad!)

So yeah – my mini review of Journeyman on vinyl – a very good buy! The kind of record they would use in a Hi-Fi showroom to show off the separates systems. A steal at £3!!

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Tremors hooked me up with four U2 vinyl!!! The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Pop, and October. I had to give a shout out to tremors for being awesome to do that.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    got my hands on the croweology vinyl today, really liking some of the arrangements on the songs :)...although i think it should of been a tri-gatefold cover instead of just a standard with the last two LP's jammed into the second sleeve :?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    joely_91 wrote:
    got my hands on the croweology vinyl today, really liking some of the arrangements on the songs :)...although i think it should of been a tri-gatefold cover instead of just a standard with the last two LP's jammed into the second sleeve :?

That sounds great, and it definitely shoulda been a trifold, but that popup is pretty cool.

On a related note....Got my order from acousticsounds....

The Southern Harmony... reissue is pretty solid, The sound isn't as good as it could be. There is some mud in a few of the denser moments, but it's quiet as a mouse and there is some good separation most of the time. Still has alotta high points(it peaks on Thorn In My Pride). I've read there are quality control issues, but mine was fine.

AIC/Unplugged sounds amazing...acoustic stuff and harmonies always pop a little more on vinyl and this is no exception

MMJ/Okonokos is nice too, just a great addition to my collection
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Tremors hooked me up with four U2 vinyl!!! The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Pop, and October. I had to give a shout out to tremors for being awesome to do that.

No problem Chris - far better than them sitting on my shelf gathering dust (and I still have a few reserves!!).

Just got to liberate that vinyl......! Like I told you, the one wavering point I had was hearing how much life jumped into 'Staring at the Sun' on the old turntable - was great to hear that again. Anyway - hope you get some good life out of them - without tooooo many pops and rattles!! :D

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    joely_91 wrote:

That sounds great, and it definitely shoulda been a trifold, but that popup is pretty cool.

On a related note....Got my order from acousticsounds....

The Southern Harmony... reissue is pretty solid, The sound isn't as good as it could be. There is some mud in a few of the denser moments, but it's quiet as a mouse and there is some good separation most of the time. Still has alotta high points(it peaks on Thorn In My Pride). I've read there are quality control issues, but mine was fine.

AIC/Unplugged sounds amazing...acoustic stuff and harmonies always pop a little more on vinyl and this is no exception

MMJ/Okonokos is nice too, just a great addition to my collection

Ahh the Southern Harmony reissue....was unsure whether to get it being so cheap or to shell out for an original pressing...??? Then found out the same mob are doing the reissues of shake your money maker and amorica....so I cancelled my pre-order from amazon and I'll wait for reviews before I buy those two....

And that alice in chains unplugged is great.....that first LP first side is amazing :)
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

No problem Chris - far better than them sitting on my shelf gathering dust (and I still have a few reserves!!).

Just got to liberate that vinyl......! Like I told you, the one wavering point I had was hearing how much life jumped into 'Staring at the Sun' on the old turntable - was great to hear that again. Anyway - hope you get some good life out of them - without tooooo many pops and rattles!! :D

It definitely has a great home. I can assure you that! :D:mrgreen:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Possibly the best ten pounds I've spent in my entire life!

!B20Pr+g!2k~$%28KGrHqN,!iME%29q4glVQvBMj9%287wGrg~~_12.JPG
    (double set)

Like liquid gold trickling down the inside of my eyeballs. Viva 1970s vinyl!!

(recommended!)

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    only ten pounds???wow!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    only ten pounds???wow!!!

I think we are a bit spoilt with the charity / second hand shops over in the UK. There is so much second hand vinyl floating around it's getting ridiculous. A few months back I picked up a 1960s pressing of Rubber Soul for £3.50 in some backstreet - excellent condition!!

When you come to London dimi check out 'Oxfam' (pricey but higher quality), and some of the other charity shops like British Heart Foundation - they are often in the same street- £2 -£3 a record often. 1980s classics for £1 if you know where to look

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    only ten pounds???wow!!!

I think we are a bit spoilt with the charity / second hand shops over in the UK. There is so much second hand vinyl floating around it's getting ridiculous. A few months back I picked up a 1960s pressing of Rubber Soul for £3.50 in some backstreet - excellent condition!!

When you come to London dimi check out 'Oxfam' (pricey but higher quality), and some of the other charity shops like British Heart Foundation - they are often in the same street- £2 -£3 a record often. 1980s classics for £1 if you know where to look
    im coming to London at 1st octomber for the 2th octomber pj meeting fans..ill be drunk both days,,no way to search for vinyl.. :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    only ten pounds???wow!!!

im coming to London at 1st octomber for the 2th octomber pj meeting fans..ill be drunk both days,,no way to search for vinyl.. :lol:

Yeah I thought I read you were coming.

You wanna get your priorities straight dimi!!

It goes like this:

Pearl Jam
    Vinyl
    Beer
    Women
    Sleep
    Work

Got it??

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Yeah I thought I read you were coming.

You wanna get your priorities straight dimi!!

It goes like this:

Pearl Jam
    Vinyl
    Beer
    Women
    Sleep
    Work

Got it??
    :shock: :shock:
    women in 4th place???....thats why they call u coldass men there..
    im Greek..south Europe..sunny 11 months...caliente...
    women...4th place... :lol: nice one..
  • Options
    The Now disc is awesome. I cannot believe "Red Red Wine" is from 1983. I would have put money on 86 or 87.

I am patiently awaiting this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140451071741&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's got to be better than the wretched plastic disc I purchased a year or so ago when it came out. The songs themselves are pretty damn good. Unfortunately when I try to listen to it on my iPod or HT system, it's like nails on a chalkboard. Here's hoping a spin on the TT with some good vintage gear will do the trick. I was amazed I got it that low, as I think MSRP is like $100+. Also, my ITW re-issue should be here next Tuesday/Wednesday. Looking forward to a busy week.