Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490

you be happy with your last kiss for a few more months
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    as part of my ongoing search to sniff out the best sounding vintage vinyl and original analogue pressings I feel I must pay tribute to the output of the 'Island' label in the early to mid 70s. These absolutely destroy the current so-called 'audiophile' re-issues of artists like Cat Stevens and Bob Marley. I think Island were producing audiophile heavy pressings for hi-fi lovers as a matter of course in this period - before audiophile 180gm was even a widely known concept.

Over the past year I have to say some of these early cat stevens and bob marley I have picked up for £5-£10 ($7-$15?) have instantly taken their place as the best sounding records in my collection. Screw the current remasters and just seek out an early pressing I'd say. The British pressings of this quality can be easily recognised by the central label - which is typically very monochrome or 'flat' in the graphics, and they seem also to have a very small run-in and run-off grooves in the main.

Hard to describe, but once you see and hear one or two you will definitely know what to look for.

Island also seem to feature bands with quite sparse instrumentation and deep rolling simple basslines (probably their reggae heritage). Other than this a common thread which seems to tie many of these label mates together is music which probably lends itself to the accompaniment of certain 'herbal' remedies!! (of which I no longer partake!).

Anyway - if you are seeking out second hand vinyl you could do a lot worse than get some early british island pressings of say natty dredd or teaser & the firecat. You'll be using them as demo discs for your doubting digital friends I promise you!!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Vinyl never went away for me.For some reason I resisted the CD's era and kept buying vinyl. Unfortunately, this means that my music collection is much poorer than I wish it it was since vinyl died for a while.

But yeah with the new wave of vinyl albums coming out I am picking up my fav albums I never got the chance of owning (had them on mp3's for while although that's the most lifeless music form you can have). With the lack of record stores though in my country, I buy my music through insound website and artists' websites.

My latest purchases over the last 2 months were:
    Muse-The Resistance (Cool album cover)
    Muse-Showbiz (transparent vinyl!!!)
    Alice In Chains-Dirt (another cool cover to have 12inchx12inch, nothing extra though package-wise)
    Cat Stevens-Tea for the Tillerman (amazing album, could settle even with just the record and no sleeve)
    Nick Cave (one side just has Baby, I'm on Fire which is cool)
    Paradise Lost-Draconian Times (red vinyl, yeah baby)
    Marillion-Happiness Is The Road (my first Marillion vinyl, very proud)
    Queen-Flash (crappy album but my Queen collection is now complete)

If I find all PJ vinyl I can stop collecting (only have Ten and Backspacer)!
  • Options
    Lefteris wrote:
    Vinyl never went away for me.For some reason I resisted the CD's era and kept buying vinyl. Unfortunately, this means that my music collection is much poorer than I wish it it was since vinyl died for a while.

But yeah with the new wave of vinyl albums coming out I am picking up my fav albums I never got the chance of owning (had them on mp3's for while although that's the most lifeless music form you can have). With the lack of record stores though in my country, I buy my music through insound website and artists' websites.

My latest purchases over the last 2 months were:
    Muse-The Resistance (Cool album cover)
    Muse-Showbiz (transparent vinyl!!!)
    Alice In Chains-Dirt (another cool cover to have 12inchx12inch, nothing extra though package-wise)
    Cat Stevens-Tea for the Tillerman (amazing album, could settle even with just the record and no sleeve)
    Nick Cave (one side just has Baby, I'm on Fire which is cool)
    Paradise Lost-Draconian Times (red vinyl, yeah baby)
    Marillion-Happiness Is The Road (my first Marillion vinyl, very proud)
    Queen-Flash (crappy album but my Queen collection is now complete)

If I find all PJ vinyl I can stop collecting (only have Ten and Backspacer)!

Sounds very like my own story. I could relate to all of your post, apart from one thing....... Muse!!?? :lol:

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    man ive got to stop but today

AlbumCovers-BruceSpringsteen-TheRiver_1980_.jpg

the_doors.jpg

BOB_DYLAN_GREATEST_UK_717f5.Large.jpg?v=4e48

all vinyl mint looks unplayed...doors cover small wrip ..all for £11

nice score!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    my most recent buys are -

1279068754_1111111111er.jpg&t=1

ilw0n5.jpg

toollater.jpg

silver-jews-lookout-mountain-lookout-sea-cd-cover-53397.jpeg

Super+Furry+Animals+-+Hey+Venus.jpg

:D:D
    Leeds Festival - Aug 25, 2006
    Shepherd's Bush Empire - London - Aug 11, 2009
    The O2 - Dublin - Jun 22, 2010
  • Options
    man ive got to stop but today

AlbumCovers-BruceSpringsteen-TheRiver_1980_.jpg

the_doors.jpg

BOB_DYLAN_GREATEST_UK_717f5.Large.jpg?v=4e48

all vinyl mint looks unplayed...doors cover small wrip ..all for £11

yay!! 3 of my favourite artists, some of my favourite tracks on those. Can never have too much of 'Fade Away' at times.

What issue is that doors? - there are butterfly elektras, plain red, all sorts, depending on year - I've found the earlier the better with the doors. I have a few issues of that album, including 60s mono, but the early stereo one is my favourite by quite a margin.

That's a very good haul. a man after my own heart!! Can you believe people are practically throwing these things away!? Criminal!

• Options
    omg i forgot this came this am mr postman

mockup.jpg

The RACONTWOERS - Live At Third Man (12" Vinyl)

Sleevedummy.jpg

CONAN O'BRIEN - Live At Third Man (12" Vinyl)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Recently got
    Buddy Holly Legend
    The Stills Young Band - Long May You Run
    Led Zeppelin- Zoso
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
    Jim James Tribute EP
    Merkinball 45"
    Live at Benaroya Hall (Ltd. press)
    Neil Young - Mirrorball

All in August. Now I need a break...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    for those interested and i'm not sure if this is always the price but amazon has

R.E.M.'s - Document for about $5
    The Who - Endless Wire for $3
    Smashing Pumpkins first two albums for about $10

and there are a few more albums ranging from about $4-$10

check out the hot sellers :)
  • Options
    The whole PJ catalog (boots not included) would be great if it were re-issued. I feel so guilty playing my originals but i can't help it.
    6/16/2008 Columbia, SC, 10/30/09-10/31/09 Philly, EV Solo 6/26/11 Detroit, 9/3/11-9/4/11 Alpine Valley, 9/30/2012 Missoula,MT 7/16/13 London, ON *****FIRST ROW****, 7/19/13 Chicago, IL, 10/30/13 Charlotte, NC. 4/21/2008 Columbia, SC, 5/2/2016 MSG2
  • Options
    The whole PJ catalog (boots not included) would be great if it were re-issued. I feel so guilty playing my originals but i can't help it.

Yeah would be nice - have a feeling we will get them one by one as they go through the revisiting or 'reduxing' of the albums in whichever way, as in ten. So vs next!??

someone tell me if I'm wrong here - I thought this was the plan

• Options
    might have been the plan....but i feel it might be a all at once job with a box set ...like the door deluxe ..

8 albums in a big old box..
  • Options
    might have been the plan....but i feel it might be a all at once job with a box set ...like the door deluxe ..

8 albums in a big old box..

Well that is one box that I will own!

Serialthrilla, you and dimi etc, with all this vinyl redistribution are probably clocking up one hell of a carbon footprint. You know you could help save the planet much more by simply posting one big package to one place - my house!

• Options
    dont see your yeah ayeah in my thread. :shock:

I'm not too good at 'woop wooping'! And I have the ATW - and my fill of singles - so figured I'd let some others have a chance. I could give you a 'yeah ayeah' for the rest of your collection though!!

YEAH AYEAH (BABY!)

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Bought the legendary Band of Gypsy's album today. Such a great album.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    no you cant.lol

just ordered this 1280586926_1s500_.jpg

glows in the dark vinyl limited 200

:D

c'mon - does a grown man really need a glow in the dark piece of vinyl?? I hope your kids aren't going hungry whilst your collection is expanding like this? :lol:

I know, I know, pot, kettle, black etc....

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:

groovy baby

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

groovy baby

Yep. Just adding on to my Hendrix collection.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    more hendrix in october/november :)

woodstock being reissued (again!?!)
    Blues
    BBC Sessions
    and a new 8 LP boxset called west coast seattle boy

theres a documentary on him by the same mob that did the beatles anthology to :)
  • Options
    joely_91 wrote:

Blues
    BBC Sessions

theres a documentary on him by the same mob that did the beatles anthology to :)
    :D:D:D:D:D:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    joely_91 wrote:

Blues
    BBC Sessions

my exact reaction when I saw the listings on amazon.....there was also a pre-order up for a 7inch christmas single or something but it was taken down, dont know what happened to that but the cd version is still up?

After the busy September/October period for vinyl I'll have to get around to getting Blue Wild Angel off the hendrix website....I just hope they decide to reissue Live at the Fillmore East in the next wave of hendrix stuff.
  • Options
    joely_91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    joely_91 wrote:

Blues
    BBC Sessions

my exact reaction when I saw the listings on amazon.....there was also a pre-order up for a 7inch christmas single or something but it was taken down, dont know what happened to that but the cd version is still up?

After the busy September/October period for vinyl I'll have to get around to getting Blue Wild Angel off the hendrix website....I just hope they decide to reissue Live at the Fillmore East in the next wave of hendrix stuff.

It's times like these I really wish I had a job.

I should also mention there Lennon reissues coming out in October but I don't know if they're going to be on vinyl.
  • Options
    after all this vintage record playing i am 100% convinced you should only consider re issues if the remain analogue all through the process! a digital remaster reissue is a complete waste of time. the artists seem to be picking up this message too, from us exacting consumers, eg dylan first 8 albums vinyl only from the original analogue mono masters. the bbc issues are usually damn good. if the hendrix go digital tho i would definitely stick to vintage pressings.

today have done some nice 'upgrades' at oxfam, mint early pressings of love over gold and born to run at £2 each, to replace my worn copies.

it's a complete no brainer, classic albums you already know you love. what better use of 6 bucks??

ps, just got an email from what records about vedder ltd 7" better days. no doubt there is a thread about it, but i'm on my mobile here and can't really look!

• Options
    this may seem like a stupid question but is there anyway to tell if a new album has been digitally mastered? Apart from if it has as sticker on the packaging saying it has? I might be experiencing (no pun intended) a placebo effect with the reissues of jimi's first 3 albums but to me they sound really good....first rays isnt to bad but from what i remember i was slightly disappointed with valleys of neptune....but this is one of the reasons why i'm picking up the beatles albums now...because i no the remasters will be digitally done, plus i'm looking to spin them not store them in sleeves for the next 50+ years so i'm not fussed by a torn cover or ring wear....aslong as the vinyl is good i'm happy
  • Options
    joely_91 wrote:
    this may seem like a stupid question but is there anyway to tell if a new album has been digitally mastered? Apart from if it has as sticker on the packaging saying it has? I might be experiencing (no pun intended) a placebo effect with the reissues of jimi's first 3 albums but to me they sound really good....first rays isnt to bad but from what i remember i was slightly disappointed with valleys of neptune....but this is one of the reasons why i'm picking up the beatles albums now...because i no the remasters will be digitally done, plus i'm looking to spin them not store them in sleeves for the next 50+ years so i'm not fussed by a torn cover or ring wear....aslong as the vinyl is good i'm happy

At the end of the day the most important thing is 'do they sound good to YOU, on your system?,' I think. My current turntable really comes into its own with 60s and 70s original material - very warm and resonant (think it's cos it is 'sprung'), whereas other turntables I've owned have been more 'punchy', and less sensitive to such things. I have some recent 180gm reissues which I am more than happy with, and so haven't wished to dig too hard to find out whether they are digital remasters - my hunch is probably not - Moondance & Astral weeks 180gm - sound fabulous, 'What's going on' and some other motown (Stevie Wonder) - also sound fantastic, so I haven't troubled myself with looking too hard at the source / lineage.

However, have had some bad experiences, eg- laying out £15 for the doors' strange days and it sounding absolutely facking awful - a tinny racket, then compared with an original edition -which was rich, warm, 'organic' - an obvious difference. I have done a few trials and to stop myself wasting any more money and so have tended towards second hand original early editions over the remasters that are typically 3 times the price.

I think you can find out fairly easily by looking online, and also the analogue reissues are now tending to state this quite boldly (see Dylan's press release from last week). I think the 'Back to Black' series, and even some of the Rhino ones tend to be digital, and I have read some poor reviews and also had some bad experiences of them too. At the end of the day, if it's coming from a digital source, then it's probably going to sound at its best on CD - why bother with the vinyl? You are going analogue (sound waves from the voice etc), to digital (recording them), turning them into 1s and 0s, then turning them back into analogue signal for the record, before analogue (sound wave) coming out of your speakers - that's a few more stages each with room for degradation.

A CD from a digital source is simply:- digital recording, stays digital until it come out of your speakers - that's the advantage of CD - less lossy stages, less room for degradation. To be honest I'm probably getting out of my depth here with the technics - I studied this for my Masters in 1994, and I was one of the few on the course who was a) doing an MA rather than an MSc, and b) thought the scientists were waaaay overstating the advantages of digital recording - depsite the obvious evidence from my own ears!!

All I'll say is - do a few trials. If you can get a 1960s copy of Hendrix quite readily for $10 - a near perfect album with little room for improvement; or a digital mish mash that doesn't sound as good for 3 times the price, then stick with the originals! If you prefer the sound tho, then it might be worth it.

I'm aware this is becoming one of my longgggg wordy posts - but the question I have been asking myself recently is 'How else can record companies look like they are making their money's worth, other than by doing a lot of additional 'stuff' to these classic albums, before re-releasing them at three times the price?' They aren't running charities, and they are making absolutely zero profit from ME buying 1970 Cat Stevens records at record fairs and charity shops. Vinyl is back, and they want a slice.

What Dylan is doing has confirmed my own experience - the 60s analogue master tapes are the real gold-dust. People like Jack White are buying all this equipment to try and recreate those kinds of sounds. Just keep an ear to the ground tho I guess, and see who is emphasising the analogue lineage and who is not. I think Van Morrison has point blank refused ANY digital remaster of astral weeks - for CD or any other format. There is a reason for that - probably that he has a perfect analogue tape of a perfect album already!!

Ok, shoot me down in flames techie guys - just my 22 cents!!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    c'mon - does a grown man really need a glow in the dark piece of vinyl?? I

YES! EVERY man, woman and child should own at least one piece of glow in the dark vinyl!

sadly this one can only be ordered by people who live in North America!....................damn you!
    Leeds Festival - Aug 25, 2006
    Shepherd's Bush Empire - London - Aug 11, 2009
    The O2 - Dublin - Jun 22, 2010