Options

There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    My dad's holy grail for vinyl is The Beatles "Yesterday and Today"...the butcher cover one. We saw it at the record store and it's $350. Not a bad price for something sought after and extremely rare.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    tremors wrote:
    Have finally made it home to listen to my new charity shop purchases - the Rubber Soul is sweet as hell! Don't think I'll be taking it off the turntable to try any of the others for a few days yet!

The only audible crackles are between songs, and the voices and harmonies are clear as you like - the reason I love this turntable so is it has an extremely natural harmonious sound, so it's really like eating your dinner whilst having the fab four singing away somewhere back in the rest of the house.

I could go on about Rubber Soul all day - I think it is the Beatles album with the most 'layers' - not so obviously drugged up or revolutionary as the later stuff - but I think it is the transitional album between the tight songwriting and amazing harmonies in the early albums, and the 'wider' sounds and subjects of the later albums. It is also the funkiest; and an album where you can hear just how brilliant George Harrison was - if you look across all his Beatles work you can pretty much hear the blueprint for almost every genre of rock, pop and even metal in one song or another. Even on the 'throwaway' Ringo track here, 'what goes on', Harrison's little licks and flourishes are superb.

I've found this is also a great 'vinyl-loving' record - the superb harmonies, but also the harmonics on the guitars and vox-synth whatever it is they are using. I noticed something on my mono version some months ago, and my friend picked up on exactly the same thing when we were listening to it freshly cleaned on his dad's super duper budget slaying turntable: - the guitar solo in the middle of 'nowhere man' - if you listen right through, the very last note on the solo is a real high chiming guitar harmonic which sounds astounding on a decent turntable - just that last note - it really rings out clearly. Funny thing is neither of us had ever really noticed this note during years of listening on CD - it's a good test for your turntable I reckon!! Last note of the nowhere man guitar solo!

Sorry to rabbit on - didn't intend to write a full album review! Thx for listening.

One more thing - some of the lyrics are very interesting - you have some of lennon's most cutting misogyny, some universal themes - but I am always struck by some of the 'living arrangements', or 'housing' references - it makes me wonder what kind of Bohemian lives they were living then!! Obviously there's the famous 'crawled off to sleep in the bath', but I also like the line where he says 'Carve your number on my wall and maybe you will get a call from me' - makes me think of some kind of high-class 'squatting' going on - or a load of trendies living in and out of each others' apartments etc.

Anyway - back to the vinyl!!

Rubber Soul is fantastic and all, but Revolver does the things you mentioned about widening their range better imo.

Out of my Beatles' vinyl, Abbey Road is king.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Newch91 wrote:

And all this is the reason why it's the greatest album made (my favorite, obviously). I mean Sgt. Pepper is a fantastic record, but Rubber Soul is the Beatles at their finest! Every song is great on this album. The harmonies on "Nowhere Man" are unbelievable and I've always heard that last harmonic in the solo while listening on CD; just didn't know what it was called until my guitar teacher told me what it was.

The Beatles made this as a response to Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" album and Lennon refers to Rubber Soul as "the pot album". Just reading and talking about this album has me playing the album now. Favorite album of all time!

Yeah it is a fantastic record - in my top 5 records ever definitely. I like it cos it is deceptive - sounds much more 'straight' than revolver - but isn't! I do love Abbey Road & revolver, but I find Rubber Soul the most 'interesting' to go back to - because of the twists all through it - it never quite is what it appears to be! Even drive me car - they are very thought provoking lyrics, very unusual when you think about them- but just sound very straightforward at first - there is a lot going in in Rubber Soul - hidden away! And yeah, it sounds brilliant brilliant on vinyl!!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    am planning on sorting thru all my non pj vinyl and weeding out duplicates. i think it's ok to have two copies of a record, but 4 or 5!? that's just stupid, and i haven't got the space! i'm mostly talking 2nd hand 80s records i think, in above average condition. for instance i think i have 4 copies of paul young's no parlez album (incredibly under rated, sounds completely majestic on the turntable ~ all vinyl lovers should own at least one copy!)

anyway, before i start, if anyone in the uk wants to inherit some half decent records for free then let me know, we could discuss postage etc. i'm expecting to discover at least 20, and maybe cut down on some i'm unlikely to play. pm me?

• Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Fleet Foxes self-titled
    came with a vinyl copy of
    Sun Giant EP,
    plus d/l's for both!
    Also got Sleater-Kinney 'Dig me out.'
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,188
    In Rainbows and Cease To Begin just added to the collection.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    vs.jpg

• Options
    musicstack.com:
    If there were any doubt as to whether Pearl Jam's success was a result of talent or hype, it was erased with the release of the band's second album, Vs. A solid, deliberate effort, Vs. finds Eddie Vedder passionately tackling subjects with an acumen that comes from the heart of a true believer. One of the band's strongest releases.

Pearl Jam are explosive. Few American bands have arrived more clearly talented than this one did with "Ten;" and "Vs." tops even that debut. Terrific players with catholic tastes, they also serve up singer-lyricist Eddie Vedder. With his Brando brooding and complicated, tortured masculinity, he's something we haven't seen in a while -­ a heroic figure. Better still, he's a big force without bullshit; he bellows doubt.

• Options
    Had a good day today - both in terms of vinyl finds and in mood - anyone would think they were connected!! :lol:

Got some good deals from Oxfam, couple-of-quid-a-piece for some early 1990s vinyl - collections that I've never seen in lp format. They sound really really good - I would describe the vinyl condition as 'mint'. At least in Britain I think 1990, 1991, 1992 is about as late as you can get with most mainstream vinyl before the mastering and the processing, weight etc gets ludicrously cheap and crap - and sound degenerates. I have the Kate Bush 'Whole Story' collection on vinyl and it is almost of 'comedy' thinness - I have flexi discs which are thicker from the cover of a magazine! and the sound is awful!!

Anyway - today I got the 'Money for Nothing' Dire Straits compilation on lp

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQutc9RfwqpqgGcEX1eyMwURAL6fny8Aydwu4A46at5IFboZFo&t=1&usg=__UriDvd7Twz79JTp673_dWroNDPc=

Whenever my credible punk-rock-and-indie friend comes round I always seem to be playing dire straits and he always says 'T, the clue is in the first part of the band's name'

:lol:

Better than that tho is this collection which I've not seen before on vinyl either (am guessing they are fresh oxfam donations from someone who got these when they came out and hardly played them - moving to cds )- is common in the charity shops to recognise one person's whole collection I find.

I got this
    9135_3102360.jpg

Is really really good sound, Cat Stevens is amongst the very best sounding artists on vinyl - superb production, awesome dynamic range (acoustic guitars as high in the mix as drums, lots of quiet moments and breathing spaces).

This sounds like a good collection of songs. It kind of complements this one I've loved for years (not too much overlap) - I recommend both as an introduction to Cat S

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb6OsXO6dxgHrWMi1oihQLAZeWSjRl3VRMHSn9XiTneuRNV1I&t=1&usg=__uRPGo8qshTHmMfTr1Fsc9-DCUT0=

• Options
    mbthresh.gif

my dads old record..remember as a kid...its really good stuff first spin for 20 years :shock:

Funny - the guy at the green tea emporium was raving about the moody blues today - hardly know em myself!

• Options
    edited August 2010

41pxzNIOmJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQppm6JUtv-ei48XppbVTIFbg4QMyimBQevMy2l7LlDj-MUX8k&t=1&usg=__ACQdugdhlHz0M8M6g50ArwfrWcs=
    Post edited by tremors on

• Options
    DYLAN!!!

PRESS RELEASE - Today:

The Witmark Demos features 47 Bob Dylan songs recorded by the artist accompanied only by his acoustic guitar, harmonica and occasionally piano on 2 CD or 4 LP 180-gram vinyl. All of these songs were written – and their subsequent demos recorded – before Bob Dylan turned 24 years old.

Among the many gems are 15 Bob Dylan songs that were recorded by the artist only for these sessions, and which have never been officially released to the public until now. These include the plaintive "Ballad For A Friend," the civil rights era-inspired "Long Ago, Far Away" and "The Death Of Emmett Till," and the poignant "Guess I'm Doing Fine."

The Original Mono Recordings is comprised of Bob Dylan's first eight long-playing albums, painstakingly reproduced from their first generation monaural mixes as the artist intended them to be heard. These eight albums – spanning the artist's self-titled debut in March 1962, through John Wesley Harding released on December 27, 1967 – are universally regarded as some of the most important works in the history of recorded music.

Together with The Witmark Demos, they provide the public with a wide-ranging view of Bob Dylan's work during the 1960s, and chronicle his amazing evolution from fledgling songwriter to one of the world's most inventive and singular recording artists.

Both sets have been long sought-after by collectors and fans worldwide, with The Witmark Demos seeing their first commercial release nearly five decades after they were first recorded, and The Original Mono Recordings returning to the marketplace for the first time ever on CD as well as on fully analogue 180-gram vinyl. Both are now available for pre-sale with an exclusive t-shirt and limited edition 18x24" Bob Dylan poster at SonyMusicDigital.com/bobdylan. You can also pre-order the CD or vinyl sets at Amazon.

• Options
    I'm looking to get some U2 vinyls. I need those.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Newch91 wrote:

Interested in their newest one? pm me....I got a once-played/minty copy of it. Joshua Tree's the only one I really need or want.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,156
    Anybody got a copy of Screaming Tree's Dust album on vinyl? I'm a looking for a copy.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

I come across Unforgettable Fire a lot in second hand shops - normally around £3, could pick one up for you. There is a rcent re-release but seems to be about £15. The second-hand ones I've seen are usually tip-top condition. I have a couple of Joshua Tree, but I need a back up. Can check if I have 3 - if so you can have one. Only prob is postage from UK - I always fear what might happen to precious vinyl as it travels the world in second-rate postal services. I bought October last week for £1 - is perfect condition!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I come across Unforgettable Fire a lot in second hand shops - normally around £3, could pick one up for you. There is a rcent re-release but seems to be about £15. The second-hand ones I've seen are usually tip-top condition. I have a couple of Joshua Tree, but I need a back up. Can check if I have 3 - if so you can have one. Only prob is postage from UK - I always fear what might happen to precious vinyl as it travels the world in second-rate postal services. I bought October last week for £1 - is perfect condition!

I bought the reissue of The Unforgettable Fire. I've decided to listen to that than the one on my iPod. The sound on Homecoming is great!
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I bought the reissue of The Unforgettable Fire. I've decided to listen to that than the one on my iPod. The sound on Homecoming is great!

Yeah, that's a great song in any format. Some albums definitely make the transition to digital better than others. I never get tired of hearing Bad, and I've mainly listened on CD or mp3 over the years - without any ill effects! Joshua Tree does sound superb on vinyl tho - the bass, the shimmering guitars....! Can't say I've really felt the urge to try Achtung Baby on vinyl, cos it's pretty 'metallic' anyway.

Here I go again like a pseudo-wine-taster!!

• Options
    love vinyl hate u2 :|

Another great T-shirt slogan methinks!! :lol:

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Yeah, that's a great song in any format. Some albums definitely make the transition to digital better than others. I never get tired of hearing Bad, and I've mainly listened on CD or mp3 over the years - without any ill effects! Joshua Tree does sound superb on vinyl tho - the bass, the shimmering guitars....! Can't say I've really felt the urge to try Achtung Baby on vinyl, cos it's pretty 'metallic' anyway.

Here I go again like a pseudo-wine-taster!!

Unforgettable Fire is just a great album to listen to on vinyl. Had to spin it now. JT is the next one I'll have to aim at getting while it's still available on Amazon. I'd like to get all of their albums on vinyl, especially their '90s one's. Achtung Baby would be cool, but I think you would get an adventure out of Zooropa and Pop.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Unforgettable Fire is just a great album to listen to on vinyl. Had to spin it now. JT is the next one I'll have to aim at getting while it's still available on Amazon. I'd like to get all of their albums on vinyl, especially their '90s one's. Achtung Baby would be cool, but I think you would get an adventure out of Zooropa and Pop.

Pop was probably the first piece of vinyl I bought from my most excellent local record store when it first opened - specializing in being stupidly cheap and stupidly well stocked. I believe I paid £2 for it new!!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Pop was probably the first piece of vinyl I bought from my most excellent local record store when it first opened - specializing in being stupidly cheap and stupidly well stocked. I believe I paid £2 for it new!!

Oh nice. How much does that convert to US dollars?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Oh nice. How much does that convert to US dollars?

Currently $3 I think!

Bearing in mind this was at the time when almost zero vinyl was being sold - the shop had a lot of overstock. I'm guessing around 2000 A.D.

• Options
    !B0Npd,wBGk~$(KGrHqQOKjoE)OWYcQTyBMZ(OQDW,Q~~_35.JPG

Way cool. Did you find that on a dusty shelf or in a shiny e-bay?

• Options
    :evil: the latter..but its nice .

Cheat!! ;) Only joking, I don't own that. Have had to give up aspirations for completing my singles / 12" collections at the bailiff's behest. However, I do covet this one - for sentimental reasons (I got the cat, she kept the records I'd bought her!!)

This was the first:

59535.jpg