*** Toronto Fanviews Here 8/21/09 ***

Comments

• Absolutely amazing.....still don't have my voice from singing for over 2 hours!
  • With a set list that ripped like that!

Be sure to stop by Toronto and Montreal after the new album is out. We'll be waiting. And it may drive us mad.

I have so much to say about this show tonight. But what sticks out in my mind is: OF THE GIRL, OF THE GIRL, OF THE GIRL, OF THE GIRL, OF THE GIRL, and purchase said show from 10C.

Thanks for the seats too. F'n sweet!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    agreed about the sound ... even from the front ...

anyhoo - maybe they'll do a fan club only show at massey hall!
  • The mix was awful at the venue. We were in section 203 and all you could really hear was Mike, the bass drum and Ed's vocals. Boom might as well not have been there

Sounds like the perfect mix if you ask me...
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    More than one way to exit after the shows would be nice too. For those nights when 16,000 people show up ;)

That's a definite must and so true . . still not sure how this is safe/passed safety codes . . I was saying to my buddy as we were inching along the crowd towards the exits that in an emergency, everyone would be fooked . . . imagine if somewhere in the seated section a fire started? Can you imagine 16,000 people trying to flee the venue in a panic through the ONE gate? There would be thousands of deaths . . . not cool :?
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
    nevmiles wrote:
    That's a definite must and so true . . still not sure how this is safe/passed safety codes . . I was saying to my buddy as we were inching along the crowd towards the exits that in an emergency, everyone would be fooked . . . imagine if somewhere in the seated section a fire started? Can you imagine 16,000 people trying to flee the venue in a panic through the ONE gate? There would be thousands of deaths . . . not cool :?

dude ... what did you end up doing to pick up your tix?

i rode down with my buddy and it was the best way to go - not the most accessible venue
  • Mvern78Mvern78 Posts: 1
    All I can say is that each Time I see PJ they get better and better this show was no different.

Great meeting everyone that came to the Brazen Head before the show!
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    polaris_x wrote:
    nevmiles wrote:

dude ... what did you end up doing to pick up your tix?

i rode down with my buddy and it was the best way to go - not the most accessible venue

Yeah, I rode down too . .. I parked on Liberty St (at that old stadium) and rode my bike down . . was super easy.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • dubqdubq Posts: 27
    Simply amazing show. I think of all the shows I've been to and Pearl Jam never disappoint. Not once. I always feel so full of life and that I could take on any challenge after seeing these guys play live. :)
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    Gotta love Canada Customs.
    Mike's song for his daughter was beyond words. What a talent he is.

Too bad the douchebags in Section 102-row N-seats 6 & 7 missed it.
    I really hope you slept well that night knowing you came within inches of your
    life ending.
    getting physical and obnoxious with a woman is something you don't expect from
    fans of the band but I seriously doubt they were fans. Looked more like a Buckingham palace
    sentry who needed to spread his feet so wide that you could drive a Queen through his legs.
    And having Elaine Benes dancing in seat 3 didn't help matters either but at least she was having
    a great time and knew the songs and was getting into the show, well the times her and her guest
    weren't at the beer stand anyway.
    Seats 4 & 5 may as well been on top of each other because that's the space we were allowed to
    occupy by those 2 miscreants.

Seats were fine - neighbours were ignorant.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • SS25454 wrote:
    Gotta love Canada Customs.
    Mike's song for his daughter was beyond words. What a talent he is.

Too bad the douchebags in Section 102-row N-seats 6 & 7 missed it.
    I really hope you slept well that night knowing you came within inches of your
    life ending.
    getting physical and obnoxious with a woman is something you don't expect from
    fans of the band but I seriously doubt they were fans. Looked more like a Buckingham palace
    sentry who needed to spread his feet so wide that you could drive a Queen through his legs.
    And having Elaine Benes dancing in seat 3 didn't help matters either but at least she was having
    a great time and knew the songs and was getting into the show, well the times her and her guest
    weren't at the beer stand anyway.
    Seats 4 & 5 may as well been on top of each other because that's the space we were allowed to
    occupy by those 2 miscreants.

Seats were fine - neighbours were ignorant.

I enjoyed reading your post! :)
    Shitty that you had seat hoggers beside you. I've had the misfortune of sitting beside people like that before and it's no fun.

In terms of neighbors, this time around I won the lottery! I sat beside a wicked couple from Cleveland. They were huge fans, equally as excited for each and every song as I was and were extremely understanding about my overly loud scream and overly ridiculous bouncing around! :)

All in all, I'd have to say they were my best neighbors to date.....if you're on this board, I thank you for an awesome night!
  • mikeyb46mikeyb46 Posts: 44
    That show was amazing , the opening for me was a huge highlight , i really liked mike's song & ed & jeff playing bee girl , the iggy pop cover was tight too ,

i really wished they would have put the real me & love regin over me in the set , but im not complaning it was a amazing night & the old classic's like black , alive & porch where the best i've ever herd them played

Toronto / Sept 21/96 -Barrie/aug 22/98- Auburn Hills, /oct 07 /00
    Grand Rapids /oct 03/04 -London/sept 12/05-Hamilton /sept 13/05
    Toronto/sept 19/05 -Toronto/ may 09/06 - Toronto/aug 21/09- Hamilton /sept 15 /11
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    A second show would've been nice because I know for a fact that A LOT OF FANS missed out to an awesome show last Friday. Please come back soon for two shows in Toronto early next year pretty please :).

I'm one of the many the die hard fans who missed the 10club and public ticket sale because of my job :(. However, I still went down to the venue last Friday and still got to hear the boys live for free right across from the amphitheare in the "pavement seats" ...along with many many others! :).

Ed's voice wasn't as clear when he was speaking, but other than that, the boys sounded awesome throughout the night outside!
    The song that Mike wrote for his daughter was definitely one the many highlights of the night...the whole pre-set was too sweet!!!
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
    a guy i know tried to get in but scalpers weren't budging from $300 even tho a) the show started and b) you could hear a lot of it just outside the venue ... anyways - he left kinda disgusted but he said he could still hear the crowd at queen and dufferin which is like almost 2 km away (or over 1 mile) ...
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    polaris_x wrote:
    a guy i know tried to get in but scalpers weren't budging from $300 even tho a) the show started and b) you could hear a lot of it just outside the venue ... anyways - he left kinda disgusted but he said he could still hear the crowd at queen and dufferin which is like almost 2 km away (or over 1 mile) ...

Scalpers were trying to sell me Lawn tickets for about for $350-$400!!! (maybe I'd give in if I was in my deathbed heh). I don't even think they've lowered the price when it was 1st encore already.

It was insane!
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • I posted some of my videos earlier in the thread but for some reason, youtube didn't properly process them...here are the "HD" versions of said videos:

Bee Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_wj03-sfw
    Of The Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLgqDRsSOvI
    Brain Of J: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLm1bKouI4U
    Off He Goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bw2N3gSuwI
    Lukin / Not For You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3owtsG_ZA4

They say they're HD but youtube compresses the hell out of them...i digress.

Enjoy!
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,341
    Terrific show! For me the highlights were "The Fixer," especially, and "Got Some." Ed seemed to really enjoy playing those, and appreciate how the fans got into them.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,063
    I posted some of my videos earlier in the thread but for some reason, youtube didn't properly process them...here are the "HD" versions of said videos:

Bee Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_wj03-sfw
    Of The Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLgqDRsSOvI
    Brain Of J: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLm1bKouI4U
    Off He Goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bw2N3gSuwI
    Lukin / Not For You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3owtsG_ZA4

They say they're HD but youtube compresses the hell out of them...i digress.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for sharing! :)
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows the elderly lady that did the mic checks for the band? It seemed a lil odd.

Thanks to the people posting pics and videos of the show- it was amazing. I still can not stop thinking about it and can not wait for the boot. I can just imagine the goose bumps I will get from listening to the crowd singing along with the band- best atmosphere yet and I preferred this venue over the ACC any day.

Also- thanks to the 10c for the tickets! They were awesome Section 200 in the middle.

I hope they hit Ontario again after the album drops.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Nami wrote:
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows the elderly lady that did the mic checks for the band? It seemed a lil odd.

I forget her name, but its always her. Always has been as far as I remember back.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Phild44Phild44 Posts: 48
    nevmiles wrote:
    I had great seats, around great people. I had forgotten how great the sound is at the Ampitheatre.
    Maybe it was just me and my old ears, but were the vocals a bit muffled last night? When Eddie sopke to the crowd it seems a bit muffled . . . maybe I'm just going deaf and have damaged my hearing so much over the years :)

The mix was awful at the venue. We were in section 203 and all you could really hear was Mike, the bass drum and Ed's vocals. Boom might as well not have been there and Stone was completely drowned out too. I hate to sound jaded, but the more I go to amphitheatre shows the more I realize that the lawn is probably a better place to be if you really want to hear the music. Under the roof is just so poorly mixed most of the time. Noticed the same thing last time I saw them outdoors in Mansfield, MA last June.

That combined with the hassle getting in, the beer lines, the chaos of leaving and the crappy public transport made this less enjoyable than it should have been. Still love seeing the band and when they are on stage I still get into a zone and let everything else fall away - just getting too old for the rest of it sometimes.

All that said - Faithful, Brain of J and Down made the night.

EDIT: Not For You was great to hear as well. Porch and RITFW more than saved the second half of the show.

Lawn was great, fans around we're cool, even had our own little mosh-pits on some of the heavier tunes like Lukin and Do The Evolution. I personnaly prefer this to being assigned a place to stand. We easily found friends from out of town. Sound was great to me and it's not that far for the view, only problem we had people in front of us blocking it at some time.
    sharptoe wrote:
    I had AWESOME seats. Sec 102 Row F.

Amazing sound. Amazing Energy. Amazing night. I cannopt wait for Chicago.

Here are some pics:

p1140931.jpg

p1140874.jpg

p1140720.jpg

p1140598.jpg

p1140545.jpg

p1140491.jpg

p1140395o.jpg

p1140380.jpg

p1140351.jpg

p1140316.jpg

p1140292.jpg

p1140192.jpg

p1140189.jpg

p1140180.jpg

p1140955.jpg

Amazing shots! :shock: :D8-):mrgreen:8-):D:mrgreen:
  • hinxhinx Posts: 416
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    Terrific show! For me the highlights were "The Fixer," especially, and "Got Some." Ed seemed to really enjoy playing those, and appreciate how the fans got into them.

I noticed that too. He seemed a surprised/excited to see how into the new songs the crowd got. It was awesome to see.

Great show!
    And to Demetrios - super crazy that we met how we did, but awesome! How did the buttons go over?

They sold out fast. They loved them. :) I will never forget that Thursday Night. What are the chances of meeting you, after 12am downtown Toronto? Out of the blue like that? :) Hope you guy's had a great time @ the show.

:)
  • Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Great night ..thanks 10C section 202 row P. Highlights and Lowlights start with the low...missing Sugar Mountain and Needle and the Damage Done, line ups :evil: Highlights - Stone solo, Jeff and Eddie - Bee Girl, Of the Girl, Brain of J., Faithful, Got Some, Fixer, Porch and Lukin-Not for You. The energy was insane loved being outside again and what a beautiful night. Looking forward to Seattle - can't wait!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    Peace,
    I also missed the preset...and am pretty sick of hearing how amazing it was FYI! :evil: ;)

The show was fantastic! Section 201, Row O, Seats 25,26. Some guy came up with identical tickets as me and jetted off quickly. So either his tix were fake and he knew it....or he got a sweet upgrade! :?

Me and my "date" rocked out all night....really enjoyed ourselves. Hoping the folks around us understood our enthusiasm. Enjoyed every single song....it was over too damn fast!!

Couldn't get up to the Preparty....but hung out downstairs and had a few pitchers.

Turned out to be a gorgeous night....(I'm having a bit of withdrawal) :cry:
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Forgot...thanks for DOWN as well...and lots of love to the Church of Pearl Jam (as stated in the TO Star) love it!!!

And thanks for all the kind souls that are posting vids and pics keep'm coming.

Namaste!!!!
    Peace,

I was near the back of section 103... this woman kept coming down to the front of section 203 and leaned over the railing and screamed in a high pitch voice NON STOP and was annoying the hell out of everyone around her. People were turning around in 103 and looking up to her in the aisle between 203 and 202 and telling her to shut up (seriously, she was embarrassing and the high pitch was incredibly annoying and all she did was scream at the highest pitch she could and then scream again)... eventually her voice went out and she would go away... but alas, no, she would come back when her voice recovered and do it all again.

Someone out there had to be around front row 202/203 or back of 102/103 like me and hear this craziness?

Omg I was in your section and totally heard this girl! We decided she sounded like a dying cat!!! It was pretty brutal!
    And the guy with the sunglasses was stoned out of his head waaaay before the show even started! too funny!!

Great Vid of Sugar Mountian, you must have been right behind my friend and I, the back of her head was in the whole video (and me too a couple times..)

Amazing show though! Thanks to PJ and the 10C for everything!
    Can't wait to see the boys back in TO soon!!!
    :D
  • jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
    polaris_x wrote:
    agreed about the sound ... even from the front ...

anyhoo - maybe they'll do a fan club only show at massey hall!

sweet jebus!! that would be awesome.....
    toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
  • a show at massey hall would be a scalpers shangra-la. even if it was 10c only. considering the way those fuckers were going aboot themselves on friday....
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right