*** Toronto Fanviews Here 8/21/09 ***

Comments

• hinxhinx Posts: 416
    edited August 2009
    Finally home from what turned out to be an awesome trip. Really bummed that I missed the pre-party (bad, bad timing on my part - I wanted to meet D!) but what a show! The preset was amazing...Ted Leo's bad luck was our really great fortune. Couldn't have asked for a better 20th show.

Big thanks to the super tall guy sitting in front of me who was nice enough to swap seats so I could actually see the show.

October can't come soon enough :D
    Post edited by hinx on
  • Mudfest wrote:
    Mudfest wrote:

Sweet vid.

Where were you sitting? I swear I can hear myself scream at the beginning of this and you seem to be near to where I was.

I was Section 201, Row E, seats 9-10.
    Funny ...201 ..H..10-11
    Probably is you ..!!!

I'm embarrassed to admit that the very first scream you hear, which is actually more like the beginning of a "WAHOO" is most likely me. It wasn't me that noticed, but my boyfriend who has to endure sitting beside me during all of those many "WAHOO's" was like "I think that's you screaming." And that was before he had seen the angle you shot your vid from to know we may have been close. Horrible! But at least it's evident I was excited!! :)
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    Just for fun (if that's the right word): was anyone else in 101 rows M or N/201 row A and witnessed that smacked-out girl during "Porch"? Never have I ever seen anyone so utterly wasted (on drugs, on booze, on whatever) at a concert as her; it's her problem, obviously, but she was getting dangerously close to disrupting a killer "Porch." That's a capital offense here in Canada. Death for "Porch" disruptin'.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • NWOntario wrote:
    Just for fun (if that's the right word): was anyone else in 101 rows M or N/201 row A and witnessed that smacked-out girl during "Porch"? Never have I ever seen anyone so utterly wasted (on drugs, on booze, on whatever) at a concert as her; it's her problem, obviously, but she was getting dangerously close to disrupting a killer "Porch." That's a capital offense here in Canada. Death for "Porch" disruptin'.

Was she super super skinny - like Brittany Murphy from 8 mile? With long white socks on her arms? If it was her, she literally fell into our row. We were in section 201, but considering that she literally came out of nowhere, I could see how she would be in your section and then in ours. I think at some point she was behind us and then started climbing over rows and then fell between the two people sitting next to us. When she got back up, she just starting moshing in our row and then quickly disappeared again! Hilarious!
  • hinxhinx Posts: 416

I was in 101, N, seat 4 and yeah, that chick was an asshole. Save that shit for the lawn seats :?
  • Bump30Bump30 Posts: 446
    I don't believe in god, but do believe i just had my first religious experience!! I was/am blown away by the spectacular show!! Words are not enough to describe how I feel!!!
    Toronto - 2009
    Hartford - 2010
    Ed Solo - Hartford - 2011
    Toronto X 2, Ottawa & Hamilton - 2011
    Ed Solo - Jacksonville - 2012
    London, Pittsburgh & Buffalo - 2013
    No shows in 2014 :-(
  • mikepmikep Posts: 290
    haha that CHICK WITH THE WHITE GLOVES! i was in the lawns and danced with her during the fixer as she was the only one in the area who knew the song! hhaha! i got a pic of her before she VANISHED forever. haha! who knew she would be such a troublemaker all over the venue! haha!

m
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • mikepmikep Posts: 290
    to everyone here,
    thanks for all the awesome clips that are unhashing the last few hours. just awesome to relive everything. was gonna go to sleep early but no more! am juiced up on pj awesomeness.

It's crazy how much energy the vids carry with them! i couldnt feel it from the lawn, but this is just awesome to relive the experience and to hear the crown being so fucking loud. fuck! awesome!!! im swearing too much!!

there's just no way to describe this band. it's amazing though too how we just feel it and share it together. i love this little pj community and all the aweomse people ive met and partied and danced with haha (see above post even if she turned out to be bombed later) haha.

just awesome. thank you to all!
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • Obsidian22Obsidian22 Posts: 298
    hinx wrote:

I was in 101, N, seat 4 and yeah, that chick was an asshole. Save that shit for the lawn seats :?

I conquer! Fabulous show, amazing musicianship. All the guys were spot on.I loved Of the Girl to open, wow!! I had a great time, but it was unforntunately disrupted by 9 teenagers who climbed into my section during the first encore. My hubby and i left to get beverages. He got in a long ass line up for beer, and got me a water(I am 7 months pregnant!)So by the time we got back there were 5 C U Next Tuesday Sluts,and their sweaty balled boyfriends inour row. Holy mother of god, I flipped out on them! Hormones hooray ! And the fuckers moved out of our seats but wouldn't leave the row.They sparked up a J, and proceeded to smoke it and pass it on right in front of me. Normally iam not a uptight sober bitch, but i am pregnant, and they had no right to do that shit in a row of seats they did not pay 90$ a ticket for. Disrespectful asshats!!It's those Lawn fuckers who decide to Row Rape you that I hate. Everyone else was awesome. The crowd was fantastic, and illuminating. Peace,love and Pearl Jam!
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's Soul remains Unawakened.
    Anatole France
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,667
    Another quick note. The CNE was great about letting us through without tickets. we kinda parked on the opposite side and we had no idea how to get around it. very cool of the gate mgr
  • can't get over how loud the crowd was. It was insane especially considering how it was outdoors! Probably the reason as to why there were so many sing a longs in the encores...the crowd was really like another member of the band at times.
  • FRONT ROW CENTRE BABY!!! THE best night of my life, hands down! I don't even know what to say...still absolutely reeling from that experience. And the funny thing is, after waking up at 4:15 to catch a 5:45am train out from Ottawa, spending a few extra hours on a detour to Newmarket to meet up with a friend, fighting the CNE crowds twice in order to get tickets and escape to the preparty before heading back in a third time, I didn't even clue in that we had the 'golden tickets' until a guy at the preparty (didn't catch your name, sorry!) pointed it out to me. Needless to say I felt like an idiot, but a veeeeeeery happy and mildly delirious one at that! :D

With # 340XXX, I never dreamed I'd be able to get front row. I thought I was damned lucky getting 5th row at Massey Hall last year but this...I can't even put into words what this night meant to me. Anything I could say would fall flat, but I'll do my best. The band was on fire and the new songs sounded amazing (Got Some is permanently stuck in my head). Lots of Yield material which is always good, Inside Job which is always a treat, and I finally got to hear Off He Goes and Down, two of my favourites that have eluded me at 7 previous shows. And then the preset...well, Ed did say they were going to improvise...a lot. Fucking Sugar Mountain and The Needle and the Damage Done (although Helpless from Massey Hall still tops my list of Neil covers), Mike solo, Stone solo, Bee Girl and the new-and-improved "Eddie Vedder & the Pharmacists"! :lol:

I got to experience the complete high of belting out the lyrics to my favourite songs while actually making direct eye contact with Ed, who at one point during Given to Fly, pointed to my Wishlist Smile shirt and made a scribbling motion as if he were writing it down, but alas it never got played. (I was spoiled rotten with Smile and everything else in Hartford though, so absolutely no complaining here!) When he climbed on top of the barrier during Porch, my friend was helping to hold him up so he was basically directly on top of us. And to top it all off, I got Ed's setlist at the end of the night! :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Great show. The only thing bad about the trip, was the Blue Jays losing all the games I went to, but at least I got on tv for the game today.

th_MeAtBlueJaysGame.jpg
  • erik768erik768 Posts: 117
    Amazing show. Sorry I missed the preparty. Combination of stopping at Niagara Falls and not accounting for Toronto rush hour and the CNE. I barely made in time for PJ. Was stuck on Harbour Trolley and was freaking when we heard reports the band went on early. Luckily it was just Eddie and I didn't miss the full band. The crowd was amazing with excellent singing. First time to Toronto and I had a blast. About to board flight to Chicago for two more great nights.
    PJ
    2003 Tampa 2004 Kissimmee 2007 Chicago 2008 West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia 2009 Toronto, Chicago 1-2, Philadelphia 3-4 2010 New Orleans 2011 PJ20/East Troy 1-2 2012 Atlanta 2013 Baltimore 2016 Miami, Greenville 2018 Boston 1 2020 St. Louis 2022 Nashville, St. Louis 2023 Noblesville, Austin 1-2 2024 Chicago 1-2
    EV
    2009 Atlanta 1-2 2012 Jacksonville
  • FatalFatal Posts: 821
    mikep wrote:
    haha that CHICK WITH THE WHITE GLOVES! i was in the lawns and danced with her during the fixer as she was the only one in the area who knew the song! hhaha! i got a pic of her before she VANISHED forever. haha! who knew she would be such a troublemaker all over the venue! haha!

Haha wow she sure got around...she was right infront of me (Section 201) by the encore....she looked ridiculously trashed. Almost smashed her face jumping from row to row.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

The show itself was incredible. Even with a mediocre 10C number (275xxx) i still managed very stellar seats towards the front of 201.

The opening was spectacular, big surprise but i've never been happier to have Ted Leo opening! lol...sorry Ted but i already saw you twice in NYC.

The opening set was massive....Of the Girl, Brain of J, Off He Goes were all great....i much, MUCH prefer Got Some to The Fixer. This much was confirmed again seeing them both live for the first time.

Oh and im super happy that i pre-ordered the poster! Looks incredible.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    Fatal wrote:
    mikep wrote:

Haha wow she sure got around...she was right infront of me (Section 201) by the encore....she looked ridiculously trashed. Almost smashed her face jumping from row to row.
    I saw her nearly get into a fight with some dudes who were laughing at her on the way out of the venue... first of all, I really do wonder how much enjoyment one can have from being that wasted, and second of all, I really do wonder what those dudes got out of making fun of her and just pushing her buttons in general.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs wrote:
    Fatal wrote:
    mikep wrote:

I saw her nearly get into a fight with some dudes who were laughing at her on the way out of the venue... first of all, I really do wonder how much enjoyment one can have from being that wasted, and second of all, I really do wonder what those dudes got out of making fun of her and just pushing her buttons in general.

Well thats not cool...but yeah she was so wasted there is just no way she is going to remember a thing about this show the day after. Oh well i guess thats what the boots are for! lol

• WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 459
    Mudfest wrote:
    Mudfest wrote:

Sweet vid.

Where were you sitting? I swear I can hear myself scream at the beginning of this and you seem to be near to where I was.

I was Section 201, Row E, seats 9-10.
    Funny ...201 ..H..10-11
    Probably is you ..!!!

Cheers...my wife and I we beside you. I shot a similar grainy video due to the bright sun.
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • AWESOME show, thats really about all i can say. im pretty sure the molson had no idea how to efficiently serve beer to its customers and that was rather annoying, other than that absolutely no complaints.

also was beyond fashionably late for the preparty (i blame the foggy dew and shots of glenlivet). kudos to those there though, when i talked to the hostess downstairs she said they had no idea there were going to be that many people and still seemed kinda baffled by what happened.

Philly can't come soon enough
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,667
    AWESOME show, thats really about all i can say. im pretty sure the molson had no idea how to efficiently serve beer to its customers and that was rather annoying, other than that absolutely no complaints.

I said it in a different thread, but why wouldnt they employ a couple people to pour, and one person to take the money? The place would make an absolute killing. The beer lines congested everything. If it were quicker I may have drank more beer, possibly got a bite to eat, bought merch, etc...
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    nevmiles wrote:
    Anyone get video of Ed's "healthcare" speech?

I lost him about halfway through and only sort of understood what he was saying . . . would like to re-listen and really make sense of the "dog metaphor" he used . . . and using an example of the dog licking his asshole in front of Neil Young :?

We captured most of it here - gets a bit fuzzy into unemployable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgp2jiypOMc

what a great fucking show - can only hope the preset gets on the boot! Still wma (roo version) and baba eluded me but no complaints here
    Dancing in irreverence
  • WOW! just an absolutely incredible show and overall experience. the energy level from the crowd and the band was just absolutely infectious. the opening set was extrordinarily unique and beautiful and was incredibly cool to see and be a part of. if someone was to tell me before the show that the opening act would consist of solo performances by most of the band i would have called them crazy.

the first set absolutely kicked my ass!! the opening run of of the girl, corduroy, severed hand, why go, and brain of j just blew me right out of the water. i was absolutely buzzing at that point. other personal highlights of the first set were off he goes, down, 1/2 full, got some and the fixer (which both kick ass live), lukin/NFY and faithful (which stole the show in my opinion). the encores did consist almost entirely of hits, but they were absolutely nailed (porch in particular). MM was absolutely buzzing with energy the entire night (which was obvious even from stone's side).

it doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned that ed was visibly very drunk during the show. i don't mean drunk in a bad way, as he was 100% on (even during wishlist when he fucked up the lyrics, he cleverly fixed it with the "and do what i did and let you down"). ed just seemed to have that drunken crazy look in his eyes that seems to produce the insane energy and angst that make pearl jam shows so amazing.

i also need to apologize to the unlucky people who lost the 10C lottery and were seated behind me in 201 row O (i am 6'7").

to summarize, only my third pj show to date but by far the best. thanks to all the 10Cers who posted youtube videos (i forgot to bring my camera to the show!)
    St. John's, NL - 2005/09/24, 2005/09/25
    Toronto, ON - 2009/08/21
    Austin - 2014/10/05
    Ottawa - 2016/05/08

"Can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain"
  • Speaking of crazy people...

I was near the back of section 103... this woman kept coming down to the front of section 203 and leaned over the railing and screamed in a high pitch voice NON STOP and was annoying the hell out of everyone around her. People were turning around in 103 and looking up to her in the aisle between 203 and 202 and telling her to shut up (seriously, she was embarrassing and the high pitch was incredibly annoying and all she did was scream at the highest pitch she could and then scream again)... eventually her voice went out and she would go away... but alas, no, she would come back when her voice recovered and do it all again.

Someone out there had to be around front row 202/203 or back of 102/103 like me and hear this craziness?
  • Oh, and the guy almost front of me in back of section 103, in the aisle basically between 103 and 102, wearing white sunglasses and dancing to every song like it was disco music... even slow songs like black. He resembled Max Headroom in looks and with his jerky body movements. Very unusual...

These people sure make it interesting... ;)

One thing about the Molson Amp, unlike the Air Canada centre, where if you stepped over the painted line, the security where on you like flies on shit, at the Molson Amp they let people just gather in the aisles at the back of 103 between 103 and 102...
  • pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    I'm still taken aback by how loud the crowd was, I can't wait to get the boot. Also after all the concern over Eddie's voice and the band taking time on tours to warm up, I thought they brought it. I felt a sense of extreme satisfaction as I was leaving the Amphitheater knowing that they brought it, and seriously put on an all-time show. Nice to experience first hand that they still have it and that they can generate that much positive energy with 15,000+ people......just powerful!!! Mr. Mike McCready brought his game for sure!!!

FAITHFUL/Brain of J kicked ass!!!!!!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Any youtube vids of PORCH from the show?? :?:

Molson Park/Barrie - Aug 05, 1992
    Air Canada Centre/Toronto - Sep 19, 2005
    EV solo Massey Hall/Toronto - Aug 13, 2008
    Molson Amphitheatre/Toronto - Aug 21, 2009
    HSBC/Buffalo - May 10, 2010
    Air Canada Centre/Toronto - Sep 12, 2011
  • jz284377jz284377 Posts: 3
    edited August 2009
    First of all, thanks to the tenclub for the AMAZING SEATS. We were lucky enough to be given the best seats, front row, seats 1 and 2. It was truly an awesome show and had us screaming all night. I never thought I'd ever be that close to a show and it was beyond any expectations, thanks again tenclub. The show couldn't have been any better and ended off most memorable as I caught a tambourine from Ed himself during rockin' in the free world (one of both mine and my girlfriend's favorites). Cheers to the two guys sitting beside me who also sang and rocked throughout the show, one of which also caught a tambourine.

Also, to the girl who took my picture with my girlfriend and the other dude with the tambourine at the end of the night in front of the stage, I would love to get a copy of that for my personal keepsake. please contact me.

Cheers, and what an great show.
    Post edited by jz284377 on
  • pearl spampearl spam Posts: 154
    sounds like a great shirt, i wish i was following them around the usa
    28/10/96--29/10/96--29/5/00--30/5/00--3/6/00--4/6/00--6/6/00--25/8/06--27/8/06--13/6/07--18/6/07--11/8/09--13/8/09--15/8/09--17/8/09--18/8/09
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2009
    FRONT ROW CENTRE BABY!!! THE best night of my life, hands down! I don't even know what to say...

Awesome . . . so happy for you to have won the lottery . . . I hope to do the same one day :)

To me, the venue and proximity to the stage make ALL the difference in how kick ass the show is . . . I was 30 rows back from you, in section 202, the closest I've been in a seated venue (got close in '98 in Barrie, but wasn't big enough of a fan to appreciate being close to the stage back then) and it MADE this show even more amazing than it would have been if I were on the lawn or even in the 300's . . . still thinking about the show today . . . man, they were just ON . . no mistakes . . . Mikey was ON FIRE (I know I've said that a million times, but it MADE the show, and he just further solidified the man crush I've had on him for the past several years :))

And the venue is amazing for a show - you can't really have a bad 10C seat in an amphitheatre and it being outside on what turned out to be a beautiful evening made all the difference . . . wouldn't have been as good if it were in an arena I'm sure . . .

Glad you had a blast, you will remember that experience for the rest of your life!!!
    Post edited by nevmiles on
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16