*** Toronto Fanviews Here 8/21/09 ***

Comments

• nevmiles wrote:

I was riding a high till I came back from the bathroom just before PJ came on and realized I left my EXPENSIVE camera in the bathroom stall. (I hadn't been back more than 5 mins at this point) I ran like a bat out of hell to the bathroom to discover that it was gone :( Sadly the person who found it was NOT an honest person as I never did get my camera back. If you hear some bragging about getting a canon camera at the PJ show...its probably MINE. The one positive was that I took out my memory card with all my pics before the pre-set and put in a brand new card that I JUST bought that day. The only thing on it was the pics I took of the pre-set.

Argghhhh. SO SORRY to hear about your camera . . . my heart sank when I read that. I would have been sick to my stomach the whole night :? Man, I still don't understand how some people would just take something like that after finding it . . . . I would have definitely handed it in to security or waited int he bathroom for a bit had I found it. Did you ask/check with security? Glad to hear you didn't lose any pics though - cameras can be replaced, but memories cannot.

Hope you were still able to get some enjoyment out of the show despite the losing your camera & the annoying girl beside you :)

Thanks....ya its too bad the BITCH who found my camera wasn't as honest as yourself. I work at the amphitheatre so I checked guest services 3 times and spoke to my boss...he checked over the weekend and today with in house security, hired out security, fan services and housekeeping...nothing. Someone found it and decided to be selfish and keep it. GRRRRR! Oh well I have a line on a used one so I may have it replaced soon....and you know what hey say...Karma's a BITCH! lol
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • nevmiles wrote:

I was riding a high till I came back from the bathroom just before PJ came on and realized I left my EXPENSIVE camera in the bathroom stall. (I hadn't been back more than 5 mins at this point) I ran like a bat out of hell to the bathroom to discover that it was gone :( Sadly the person who found it was NOT an honest person as I never did get my camera back. If you hear some bragging about getting a canon camera at the PJ show...its probably MINE. The one positive was that I took out my memory card with all my pics before the pre-set and put in a brand new card that I JUST bought that day. The only thing on it was the pics I took of the pre-set.

Argghhhh. SO SORRY to hear about your camera . . . my heart sank when I read that. I would have been sick to my stomach the whole night :? Man, I still don't understand how some people would just take something like that after finding it . . . . I would have definitely handed it in to security or waited int he bathroom for a bit had I found it. Did you ask/check with security? Glad to hear you didn't lose any pics though - cameras can be replaced, but memories cannot.

Hope you were still able to get some enjoyment out of the show despite the losing your camera & the annoying girl beside you :)

Thanks....ya its too bad the BITCH who found my camera wasn't as honest as yourself. I work at the amphitheatre so I checked guest services 3 times and spoke to my boss...he checked over the weekend and today with in house security, hired out security, fan services and housekeeping...nothing. Someone found it and decided to be selfish and keep it. GRRRRR! Oh well I have a line on a used one so I may have it replaced soon....and you know what hey say...Karma's a BITCH! lol

I got home from Pearl Jam with a big smile on my face. I woke up the next day and it went away quick.

I could not find my iPhone, or my wallet with health card, social insurance, credit card, and debit card... I purposely took just what I thought I would need and no more... I know, why bring driver's license but just in case...

I tried to retrace, I had it at the last bar I went to and remember having it in the cab...

Called my phone over and over, called the last bar, nothing, called cab companies but I did not get a card, paid cash and waved him down. Did not remember which cab company it was. Called them all, they said they would send out a message but it is rare unless you have a way to trace you to a cab #.

4:30pm rolls around, I give up. Cancel credit card...

5pm Cab driver calls, "I have your stuff, wasn't sure how to answer your phone, will be buy in 30 mins to drop off." Thanked him profusely and gave him a nice reward for being honest.

I remember after, I asked him to wait outside my house after dropping me off because I had only $41 and the fare was $41. I ran inside to get him a tip and left my iPhone and wallet on the seat thinking I would be back in the cab (yes I had a few beers in me too which did not help). I gave him his tip through the window...

I rack it up to Karma, I was going in the house to get him a tip, not stiff him. He came back with my stuff :)
  • RD171825RD171825 Posts: 443
    Nice story and I'm glad you got your shit back. I had a few cabbies while in T.O who were pretty cool, nice to talk to and stuff. Some had some good stories too, a few disturbing ones about being held up and stuff...
  • RD171825 wrote:
    Nice story and I'm glad you got your shit back. I had a few cabbies while in T.O who were pretty cool, nice to talk to and stuff. Some had some good stories too, a few disturbing ones about being held up and stuff...

He was a very nice guy that I talked to for the whole trip. He had been a cab driver for 19 years.

I was happy to meet "Frederick" and will be asking for him again when I call Beck Taxi.

I do believe in Karma.
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363

I got home from Pearl Jam with a big smile on my face. I woke up the next day and it went away quick.

I could not find my iPhone, or my wallet with health card, social insurance, credit card, and debit card... I purposely took just what I thought I would need and no more... I know, why bring driver's license but just in case...

I tried to retrace, I had it at the last bar I went to and remember having it in the cab...

Called my phone over and over, called the last bar, nothing, called cab companies but I did not get a card, paid cash and waved him down. Did not remember which cab company it was. Called them all, they said they would send out a message but it is rare unless you have a way to trace you to a cab #.

5pm Cab driver calls, "I have your stuff, wasn't sure how to answer your phone, will be buy in 30 mins to drop off." Thanked him profusely and gave him a nice reward for being honest.

I remember after, I asked him to wait outside my house after dropping me off because I had only $41 and the fare was $41. I ran inside to get him a tip and left my iPhone and wallet on the seat thinking I would be back in the cab (yes I had a few beers in me too which did not help). I gave him his tip through the window...

I rack it up to Karma, I was going in the house to get him a tip, not stiff him. He came back with my stuff :)

Nice. I lost my wallet earlier this summer after a wedding . . I MAY or MAY NOT of had a bit too much to drink and it slipped out my suit in the cab :roll: Well, luckily the cab driver found in under his seats on the Monday and I got it back - in tact with everything in it . . . despite the story above re: the camera, there definitely ARE many many honest people out there . . . glad you got all your stuff back - I definitely now the frustration you must have felt when you realized you lost your wallet - thinking about cancelling/replacing all those cards/documents. Not fun.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • nevmiles wrote:

Nice. I lost my wallet earlier this summer after a wedding . . I MAY or MAY NOT of had a bit too much to drink and it slipped out my suit in the cab :roll: Well, luckily the cab driver found in under his seats on the Monday and I got it back - in tact with everything in it . . . despite the story above re: the camera, there definitely ARE many many honest people out there . . . glad you got all your stuff back - I definitely now the frustration you must have felt when you realized you lost your wallet - thinking about cancelling/replacing all those cards/documents. Not fun.

True. And one tends to beat themselves up for making stupid mistakes but as I get older, I realize that one motto is very true: shit happens
  • mikeyb46mikeyb46 Posts: 44
    RD171825 wrote:
    Anyone got any good pics of Ed in the crowd during Porch?

Sorry it was hard to steady my hand while I was taking them but I got a few, with the last one being my fave:

5449_233167250183_821385183_8255782_1582681_n.jpg

5449_233167265183_821385183_8255783_5121522_n.jpg

5449_233167275183_821385183_8255784_453183_n.jpg

thanks for posting the pictures , that was awesome when he got down in the crowd during porch

Toronto / Sept 21/96 -Barrie/aug 22/98- Auburn Hills, /oct 07 /00
    Grand Rapids /oct 03/04 -London/sept 12/05-Hamilton /sept 13/05
    Toronto/sept 19/05 -Toronto/ may 09/06 - Toronto/aug 21/09- Hamilton /sept 15 /11
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Alright I know im a week late but hear it goes..

Drove up 8 1/2 hours from Massachusetts friday morning. First time in Toronto and I was impressed. Picked up the 10club tickets and the seats were one in front of the other instead of side by side, ended up trading them to sit with our other friends at the show... so it all worked out.

Pre party was packed and they wouldnt let us upstairs, couldnt even get the attention of a bartender downstairs so we ended up leaving. Took forever to walk to the venue, no clue where I was goin. Finally arrived just in time for Ed and all the presets. The presets were great and from there I knew it was gonna be a good show.

Of the girl was great to hear for the first time. Then they ripped into Corduroy, Severed Hand and a few other heavy ones. Fixer and Got Some sounded great live. Not for You /DTE was a great end to the main set. The sound in the place was kinda muffled, which made it tough to hear Ed but the band was on fire. Encores were pretty standard but they killed Porch and Alive.

Overall it was a great show, good energy and I hope to go back to Toronto someday.
  • Better late than never...

Back a week now from our Toronto/Chicago journey. The band performed mightily in both places, as is well documented here. With absolutely no disrespect to the great city of Chicago, had to sing the praises of T.O.

From the cab drivers to the hotel staff to the fellow revelers at the Underground Garage, the Torontonians we met were generous and welcoming. (We're not used to that in NYC.) The fans were super at the show--a quintessential summer concert night if ever there was one. The couple next to us in section 202 / row L shared our enthusiasm and the two guys behind us (via Toledo, OH) totally rocked out. You guys have to send your info - I'll send pics.

But the group that led us walking post-show for a nightcap and then ultimately back to our Mercer St. hotel really went above and beyond. We never would have found our way back, and you knew it and helped out. Heaven knows we needed help in our uber-happy state. Thinking of my madras-wearing lobby white couch buddy heading out in the wee hours of the morning...

Toronto rocks. Meant what we said, come to Philly and let us repay the favor!
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    Well we must say this one was one for the ages - the venue and crowd were great, super energy and awesome fans all around us. First time to toronto and we were quite impressed - definitely making the trip back when they return. The band was feeling it and it showed - and still in shock over the pre-set treat with 4/5 of the band coming out before the damn show even starts. This show was awesome.

That said - I almost lost my shit on two tools in the pisser after the show. I was still in PJ euphoria and these two dorks were comparing this show to Weezer and Blink 182 shows at the Molson!?!? - I was lmao!! idiots - couldnt believe i kept my composure but i was just too high from experiencing this show.

cant wait till Oct!!
    Dancing in irreverence
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,899
    nevmiles wrote:

it absolutely is,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • the show was fuckin' unreal I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    RJNadge4 wrote:
    Well we must say this one was one for the ages - the venue and crowd were great, super energy and awesome fans all around us. First time to toronto and we were quite impressed - definitely making the trip back when they return. The band was feeling it and it showed - and still in shock over the pre-set treat with 4/5 of the band coming out before the damn show even starts. This show was awesome.

That said - I almost lost my shit on two tools in the pisser after the show. I was still in PJ euphoria and these two dorks were comparing this show to Weezer and Blink 182 shows at the Molson!?!? - I was lmao!! idiots - couldnt believe i kept my composure but i was just too high from experiencing this show.

cant wait till Oct!!

LOL comparing PJ to Weezer and Blink??? LMAO. They are good but never will be at the same level as the Jam. Never! In time people will look back on Pearl Jam in the same light as Led Zepplin... The Who.. The Stones..
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    Nami wrote:
    RJNadge4 wrote:

cant wait till Oct!!

LOL comparing PJ to Weezer and Blink??? LMAO. They are good but never will be at the same level as the Jam. Never! In time people will look back on Pearl Jam in the same light as Led Zepplin... The Who.. The Stones..

People will look back and fondly remember them but never in the same light as the big 3 you just mentioned.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • SS25454 wrote:
    People will look back and fondly remember them but never in the same light as the big 3 you just mentioned.

I respectfully disagree. I think this band will be easily be looked at in the same league as the "greats". Only time will tell, I suppose.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • SS25454 wrote:

I respectfully disagree. I think this band will be easily be looked at in the same league as the "greats". Only time will tell, I suppose.

agreed....they are a much more professional band

I love LedZep but come on their live shows were mostly shit....Page was generally too drunk/stoned/lit up to play most of the time
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • SS25454 wrote:
    Nami wrote:
    RJNadge4 wrote:

cant wait till Oct!!

I don't know, you have to remember the generation gaps. For Generation X'ers, PJ is the Stones or Zeppelin of their era. When these people grow old PJ will be their classic rock, and will take on an aura of hip cred for the young kids of the future. When the freshman class of college rolls into the dorms in August 2029 many of them will have grown up listening to PJ and Soundgarden and Nirvana and REM and U2 with their parents, and these will be the new classic rock bands.

I know its hard to envision now, but the Beatles and the Stones and the Who and Zeppelin all started out in the 60's.... that is over 40 years ago now! So it may take until 2030 until PJ reaches that level but it is possible
    "Delight in your youth"

GO PITT
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    SS25454 wrote:

agreed....they are a much more professional band

I love LedZep but come on their live shows were mostly shit....Page was generally too drunk/stoned/lit up to play most of the time

Agreed - PJ to me is/has been ahead of their time. Zep was great but pretty boring - saw them before and it seemed scripted, no crowd interaction, lotta lights and guitar effects. I think PJ is closer to the Who and Stones in how they engage and interact wit the audience..Zep is great, has some killer tunes but nothing ever translated live, and I think PJ will be remembered most for their live shows...still, weezer and blink 182?..thats just absurd
    Dancing in irreverence
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    SS25454 wrote:

no way me!!! (or husband who logs in as me!)

they won't need to be remembered in 30 years - they will still be playing and we'll be rockin' in our walkers right beside them!!!!!
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • I tend to think that PJ will be more like the Grateful Dead, in the eyes of musical historians. A legion of hardcore fans who knew what they were when they got into them, and then a whole bunch of posers who will rock out to them in 20 years saying that they were their back in the day. Think about it, how many shows have you gone to where you meet people who have seen them at least 4 times, and others who have traveled great distances just to be there.

One thing is for sure. Their level of touring, and fan appreciation, is unparalleled in todays world. I would enjoy what they are offering to us right now, because some day it will end. SO LIVE LOVE IT AND ROCK IT. Their will never be another like Eddie and the boys.

Thats Just my two cents (Oh yeah that TO show, pre set, one simple word, AMAZING)
  • Been back from T.O. for about a week and have spent it playing catch-up with work etc. What a great vacation, though. Three Sox games and a PJ show? Perfect.

Two things:

1) My buddy and I were sitting in Middle 304, D. Was anyone else on the boards even remotely close to us? Just curious.

2) I'll probably just make a new thread, but I'm still desperately seeking one of the Toronto t-shirts. I've probably got a few PJ shirts I can offer in a trade. I'm looking for M or L (I like a snug fit). Thanks. :)
  • Been back from T.O. for about a week and have spent it playing catch-up with work etc. What a great vacation, though. Three Sox games and a PJ show? Perfect.

Two things:

1) My buddy and I were sitting in Middle 304, D. Was anyone else on the boards even remotely close to us? Just curious.

2) I'll probably just make a new thread, but I'm still desperately seeking one of the Toronto t-shirts. I've probably got a few PJ shirts I can offer in a trade. I'm looking for M or L (I like a snug fit). Thanks. :)

Hey its wtfisaledbetter? from RM, glad you enjoyed T.O. I was sitting in Sec 203 L. I didn't get a T.O shirt altho now I'm regretting not getting one. I got the shirt with The Fixer cover instead... doh!
  • 10C seats, I guess? I got shut out when the site went down.
  • 10C seats, I guess? I got shut out when the site went down.

10C seats indeed, got fucking lucky too! Got a timeout after I put all my info in and hit "submit" I thought I was SOL but I checked my order history and they were there!! LOL
  • It was a pretty sick show, my cousin and I missed our bus because of the bottlenecking leaving the show; so we had to sleep in a park till the next bus left to peterborough at 6am. That's the best show i've seen in T.O; but MTL shows (always amazing, PJ just seem to love playing there)and the Ottawa '05 show we a little better. Still a great great show, can't wait for Backspacer.

KJS
  • SS25454 wrote:

You know I wish all you could just respect each band for who they are, who they were, and where they have been.....I never could put one in front of the other, I simply prefer to listen to one over the other, that's all. To each is own.........yes, no?
  • SS25454 wrote:

You know I wish all you could just respect each band for who they are, who they were, and where they have been.....I never could put one in front of the other, I simply prefer to listen to one over the other, that's all. To each is own.........yes, no?

I certainly don't like all bands who are now considered legends....I don't even think that was the point here. I agree with what you're saying. I just don't think it applies to the posts that you're quoting.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,667
    I was thinking about this very conversation on my way back to Buffalo/Philly from the Toronto show.

I really think Pearl Jam is the last of the breed to be out there so extensively and still relatively in their top form.

I have had friends over the years who were always dismissive of them. They heard 10 years ago... maybe some of the 2 v's... heard Last Kiss 1,000,000 times, and heard stories they were hanging on and being all political and shit.
    A public figure I can think of who felt this way is Howard Stern. Over the past few years he has been exposed to them covering Who songs (one of Stern's faves) and he always raves. Also, when they come in from commercial and play a PJ song he always asks who it is and usually has good things to say about the song.
    Their niche has got to be getting bigger. Just look at the stubhub prices for this show.

To really get into the band at this stage of the game, you have to experience them live IMO.

To the know-not-much or the very casual fan, PJ will always be a few things: the last band standing from the original Grunge scene, and they fought with ticketmaster. Many more people have discovered that the true PJ has to be experienced live and this is accented by PJ revolutionizing the bootleg availability.

Unfortunately PJ will always be overshadowed by Nirvana when dealing with the Grunge scene and they will be overshadowed by the Grateful Dead (among others) when people reflect on the live act/following.

PJ needs to make a big, awesome mark in the rock world... and I believe they have it in them and it will happen. Something like an album that jives with all the longtime fans, but somehow catches like fire in the mainstream and reinvents and reinvigorates Rock music. Then at that point I feel that PJ will be regarded in the top 3.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I can't believe people didn't recognize the Johnny Thunders song 'You Can't Put Your Arm's Around A Memory'.

'So Alone' is one of the greatest albums of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgFLDzhc2kI
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    I think we need another tune on the cassette player on the main page of the website. The fixer is awesome but I want more... hook me up please... LOL
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....