*** Toronto Fanviews Here 8/21/09 ***

Comments

• nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    MayDay10 wrote:
    The beer lines congested everything. If it were quicker I may have drank more beer, possibly got a bite to eat, bought merch, etc...

yeah, the beer lines were nuts, even in the middle of the show. Which is odd b/c I clearly remember in '03 being able to run out in mid-song and grab a beer and not miss more than 1 song . . . don't know why it was different this time . . . but it prevented me from drinking too much . . . I went for a pee break during 1/2 Full and was going to grab a pint, but the line up was INSANE . . . my last drink was before the main set and to be honest it was better b/c I wasn't too tipsy and was still super into the show . . . probably actually made it better :)
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
    RJNadge4 wrote:
    nevmiles wrote:
    Anyone get video of Ed's "healthcare" speech?

I lost him about halfway through and only sort of understood what he was saying . . . would like to re-listen and really make sense of the "dog metaphor" he used . . . and using an example of the dog licking his asshole in front of Neil Young :?

We captured most of it here - gets a bit fuzzy into unemployable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgp2jiypOMc

what a great fucking show - can only hope the preset gets on the boot! Still wma (roo version) and baba eluded me but no complaints here

Thanks :) I still don't understand the asshole licking metaphor part though :?
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Where's the love for this version of BRAIN OF J?

OH YEAH!
  • Releaseme92Releaseme92 Posts: 42
    edited August 2009
    sharptoe wrote:
    I had AWESOME seats. Sec 102 Row F.

Amazing sound. Amazing Energy. Amazing night. I cannopt wait for Chicago.

Hey - I was in section 102 Row E just on the other side of Ed - your camera frickin' rocks - NICE PICS! I wanted to break my camera though -LOL! I tried all the different settings on it because I was getting some serious blurring - and I wasn't wasted either! Some turned out nice and others crappy.

Again - wicked shots! :D:D:D
    Post edited by Releaseme92 on
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    nevmiles wrote:

Thanks :) I still don't understand the asshole licking metaphor part though :?

I think he means it's embarrassing and disgusting...
    be philanthropic
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I won the lottery in Toronto

section 102

row A seats 34-35

it was awesome to be on the rail right in front of Mike

got 3 picks !!!
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • MANTISMANTIS Posts: 272
    1. Thanks 10c for the great seats in sec 202

2. Awseome first set.

3. Mildly dissapointed with the encores due to the lack of a single rocker until porch.

4. Please come back soon

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

Ed Ved - Toronto I 08--Toronto II 08

• MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    smarchee wrote:

section 102

row A seats 34-35

got 3 picks !!!
    Congrats!!!
  • KS35116KS35116 Posts: 17
    Here's a link to my review of the concert.

http://www.media-party.com/

It was a fabulous show, my 12th, first time I saw them play Faithful and the new material was great! Pumped-up crowd and killer band will win every time!
  • WWS wrote:
    Mudfest wrote:

Sweet vid.

Where were you sitting? I swear I can hear myself scream at the beginning of this and you seem to be near to where I was.

I was Section 201, Row E, seats 9-10.
    Funny ...201 ..H..10-11
    Probably is you ..!!!

Cheers...my wife and I we beside you. I shot a similar grainy video due to the bright sun.

Were you beside me or Mudfest? I'm thinking it's Mudfest, but just in case it was me, are the couple from Cleveland or Buffalo?
  • RD171825RD171825 Posts: 443
    I was in Sec 203 row L and had a fucking blast!! The whole night was just surreal, just from watching the pre-set and the atmosphere at the time I knew the night was going to be something special and I wasn't disappointed. I absolutely loved the setlist. Of The Girl was an amazing opener really got the crowd going, Brain of J was a nice surprise in there too. I didn't stop moving and singing the whole night, I had no voice and I was a sweaty mess but it was well worth it. Black, Alive and FINALLY HEARING PORCH were the highlights for me. Seeing Ed go into the crowd made me smile so much. Mike owned the stage too he was all over the place like the fucking mad man he is. Kudos to him too for going out there on his own and singing a few songs also. Sucks the show had to end but all good things must come to an end. Can't wait for the next time.
  • smarchee wrote:

section 102

row A seats 34-35

got 3 picks !!!

Dude....that's awesome! Didn't you win the lottery in Hartford or Boston also?? Super pumped for you! :)

Obviously I didn't make it to the pre-party, so I didn't get to say hey. Did you get a Pearl Jam button while you were there?? We made them! :)

I guess I don't have to say "hope you enjoyed the show" 'cause I'm sure you did.
  • Absolutely great show and great crowd. Hard to imagine that the Barrie 98 concert was 11 years ago to almost the exact date considering the same intense energy is flowing out of the band.

I missed the warm up show and thanks to those that uploaded footage.

Thanks 10C for the great seats. Loved them. Section 201 Row A. See you again in Seattle and Vancouver.

Here is a youtube vid of Save It For Later I took to remember how great it was to see this band jam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFA2LPbpCkM

Here is a pic of Mike Fucking McCready, who was on fire: summer2009203.jpg
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    there's nothing like a pearl jam show - you spend the day running into old and new friends that have traveled with you, drank with you in a different country, hugged and cheered and jumped up and down with, stayed in the same hotel/cheesy motel, bumped into you at a Denny's somewhere - it almost feels like home and family! (note the word I avoid using)

this was about the easiest pearl jam show I think I've ever been to - no lines at the washroom, no problem getting in, little tussle with the dude beside me who decided to show up several songs into the first set, spread his legs and cross his arms and kick over my water - but hey - whatever - maybe he had a flat on the way and was just miserable - he sure looked it

ANYWAY

I've been listening to the needle and the damage done a LOT lately - don't know why, it's just been heavy in my queue - and when Ed broke into that song I almost broke down - it was our 25th anniversary this year and if somebody had asked what could be covered that would make your show special I'm sure that would have been up at the top - so honestly from the earliest moments of the show I was soul to the top - grin on my face and stunned to hell

and I was actually really looking forward to Ted Leo - I wanted to hear Bomb.Repeat.Bomb

certainly wasn't expecting to get to hear Mike and Stone up there solo - I LOVE TORONTO

"Mike may be late, but he ain't been ate" - something like that - :)

I can't even begin to talk about Mike through the whole show - holy shit - black and evenflow were off the scale - unbelievable - beautiful - as was that song her wrote for his daugther - wow!

I loved the total mix of the set list - I love that my calf muscles are shredded and I can't move my neck because I destroyed myself to the music

the new stuff is so great live - we just got a taste - Got Some is amazing - I had heard some crappy taping somebody did of it - which is why people shouldn't do crappy tapings - and hearing it how it should be heard was "SOUND" as somebody has said before - they have to play that one early in the show or they'll wear us out before the end

once again the flow between the crowd and the band and the crowd and the band was manna - it's like the chicken and the egg - you don't know where it starts but it just grows into something amazing

I've come to the conclusion that every pearl jam show is special - every song is special - doesn't matter what you go wanting to hear - what you get is always the best - and once again I left the show with that same feeling I always get - christmas morning

and Ed was just so Ed - he makes me laugh, he makes me cry, he makes me sing and he makes me smile - there's only one Ed - and no, he's not on a pedestal, he's there in front of you loving the music just as much as you are

as for the lottery - well since people are talking about it - it doesn't work for me - I get bumped back - but I always have seats that people would kill for - they'll never be at the front but I'm in that lucky group of people who can actually feel the heat off of the stage - don't get me wrong , I bitched about it - but I get down on the floors and look behind me and just think - wow - look at me, look where I am

and that crazy chick - holy crap - I saw her on the way out - I think she was trying to fight with a couple of guys who were in wheel chairs because they wouldn't give her a ride (that's what it looked like anyway)

as usual it was enough but I want more - album tour 2010!!!

my ONLY REQUEST OF THE TEN CLUB is PLEASE give us some heads up - we all scrimp and save and try to prepare but the few days notice we get to buy tickets always comes too soon - if you're away you miss the whole thing - if you can't log in from work (as a lot of companies restrict these things) you need to make arrangements to get access and have the time to at least try - not a big request! - please - :)
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • Can anyone make out the lyric change in Lukin? I found the sound at the venue to be a little muffled and couldn't make it out and the video that was posted here didn't help. He's changing Lukin's name to something else.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    RD96430 wrote:
    Can anyone make out the lyric change in Lukin? I found the sound at the venue to be a little muffled and couldn't make it out and the video that was posted here didn't help. He's changing Lukin's name to something else.
    I couldn't quite make it out but my buddy said it was "Chelios".
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    seeing and listening to pearl jam live is like going to christmas dinner - the menu is roughly the same every year but you can't get enough and for that night nothing else really matters.

i would have loved to hear a few different songs but nonetheless the band was so tight it didn't really matter - new songs rocked live ... can't wait to hear the new album ...

thanks to 10C for awesome seats as usual ... dead centre right in front of ed ...
  • DempsDemps Posts: 102
    nevmiles wrote:
    I had great seats, around great people. I had forgotten how great the sound is at the Ampitheatre.
    Maybe it was just me and my old ears, but were the vocals a bit muffled last night? When Eddie sopke to the crowd it seems a bit muffled . . . maybe I'm just going deaf and have damaged my hearing so much over the years :)

The mix was awful at the venue. We were in section 203 and all you could really hear was Mike, the bass drum and Ed's vocals. Boom might as well not have been there and Stone was completely drowned out too. I hate to sound jaded, but the more I go to amphitheatre shows the more I realize that the lawn is probably a better place to be if you really want to hear the music. Under the roof is just so poorly mixed most of the time. Noticed the same thing last time I saw them outdoors in Mansfield, MA last June.

That combined with the hassle getting in, the beer lines, the chaos of leaving and the crappy public transport made this less enjoyable than it should have been. Still love seeing the band and when they are on stage I still get into a zone and let everything else fall away - just getting too old for the rest of it sometimes.

All that said - Faithful, Brain of J and Down made the night.

EDIT: Not For You was great to hear as well. Porch and RITFW more than saved the second half of the show.
    I suggest you step out on your porch...run away my son...see it all...oh see the world // I wait on the porch...hoping someday I'll be let in

Springfield, MA 4/6/94 -- Boston, MA 4/11/94 -- Hartford, CT 10/2/96 -- Hartford, CT 9/13/98 -- Mansfield, MA 7/2/03 -- Reading, PA 10/1/04 -- Albany, NY 5/12/06 -- Milwaukee, WI 6/29/06 -- Mansfield, MA 6/30/08 -- Toronto, ON 9/21/09 -- Philadelphia, PA 10/31/09 -- Worcester, MA 10/16/13 -- Hartford, CT 10/25/13 -- New York, NY 9/26/15 -- New York, NY 5/2/16 -- Boston, MA 8/5/16 -- Boston, MA 8/7/16 -- Boston, MA 9/2/18 -- Boston, MA 9/4/18 -- London, UK 7/8/22 -- Hamilton, ON 9/6/22 -- Toronto, ON 9/8/22 -- New York, NY 9/11/22 -- Chicago, IL 9/5/23 -- Chicago, IL 9/7/23 -- New York, NY 9/3/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/7/24 -- Philadelphia, PA 9/9/24
  • nevmiles wrote:
    I had great seats, around great people. I had forgotten how great the sound is at the Ampitheatre.
    Maybe it was just me and my old ears, but were the vocals a bit muffled last night? When Eddie sopke to the crowd it seems a bit muffled . . . maybe I'm just going deaf and have damaged my hearing so much over the years :)

The mix was awful at the venue. We were in section 203 and all you could really hear was Mike, the bass drum and Ed's vocals. Boom might as well not have been there and Stone was completely drowned out too. I hate to sound jaded, but the more I go to amphitheatre shows the more I realize that the lawn is probably a better place to be if you really want to hear the music. Under the roof is just so poorly mixed most of the time. Noticed the same thing last time I saw them outdoors in Mansfield, MA last June.

That combined with the hassle getting in, the beer lines, the chaos of leaving and the crappy public transport made this less enjoyable than it should have been. Still love seeing the band and when they are on stage I still get into a zone and let everything else fall away - just getting too old for the rest of it sometimes.

All that said - Faithful, Brain of J and Down made the night.

I totally agree, I contemplated moving from under that roof just about every song. I had section 200 dead center It felt like I was in a huge metal drum. Not super awful but not what I'm used to hearing. The crowd singing seemed drowned out, I could barely understand Ed and THIS time it wasn't his fault...lol
    The beer lines were the worst I've ever seen and getting out was an accident waiting to happen. If it were a more rowdier bunch of people things could have gotten ugly. Luckily it was Pearl Jam fans!

I prefer the next time to be 4 nights in the Air Canada Centre :D
    Toronto is such an awesome city I always love all the shows I've seen there and the people are always GREAT!

All in all a very decent show and I'm glad I was there.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    RD96430 wrote:
    I found the sound at the venue to be a little muffled and couldn't make it out and the video that was posted here didn't help.
    \\Good. So maybe it wasn't just my hearing? I found the lyrics and when Eddie talked to be a bit muffled too . . . .
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
    Just needed to post again that MIKE FvUCKIN' MCREADY WAS ON FIRE ON FRIDAY. He stole the SHOW!!!!!

I've said it a million times but I keep replaying the images of his playing, his antics and his solos over and over in my head . . . I can't wait to listen to it again on the boot . . . . and the YouTube videos that keep surfacing are awesome reminders too.... he just solidified my reasons for having a man crush on him :lol: which I've had since at least the '00 tour . . . .
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • nevmiles wrote:
    Just needed to post again that MIKE FvUCKIN' MCREADY WAS ON FIRE ON FRIDAY. He stole the SHOW!!!!!

Agreed.

This was my 9th PJ show and by far the most fun. Our seat location was both bad and good (403 - O) as I missed the 10C presale but we rocked out, danced on our chairs and sang/clapped way out loud along with the crowd prompting Ed to carry on during Black and Porch particularly. It was also easy to get to the beer garden and washroom from the last row of seats which was a plus, and I wasn't in anyone's way while dancing and going nuts. To repeat what's already been said, the energy level at this show was way up there, although I was a little surprised at how many people just stand around and watch or tape.

Beautiful venue and surrounding area. Met some very cool people before the show at the hotel and during the show. Random couple came up to me about 3/4 through the performance and handed me some special brownies, if you know what I mean. ;) Super sweet gesture, thanks again if you're reading this!
  • Great show, and a typically great, very loud Toronto crowd. Thanks to the 10C for some excellent seats, sec. 101 row J. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists were the best openers ever! But those guys looked a lot like Ed and Mike and Stone and Jeff. Hopefully that part will make it onto the boot. Loved hearing the new stuff live. Like others have said, Ed's voice was really good and the band was in excellent form. Can't wait for Philly now.

Here's some pics:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Toronto82109/001.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Toronto82109/002.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Toronto82109/003.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Toronto82109/007.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Toronto82109/008.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Toronto82109/009.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Toronto82109/019.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/RainierWolfcastle/Toronto82109/021.jpg
    10/1/96, 10/14/00, 5/2/03, 6/28/03, 10/1/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/19/05, 5/9/06, 5/10/06, 5/12/06, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 8/12/08 6/8/09 6/9/09(EV), 8/21/09, 10/27-28-30-31/09, 5/10/10
  • jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
    gotta agree with the muffled sound. we were in section 203 as well and it sounded like ed had his hand over the mike while trying to sing into it. same as in hamilton in 05, boom was barely noticeable which is disappointing cos he is an unbelieveable musician as well. once they traded mike's, eddie sounded a bit better & the overall sound inproved a bit as well. maybe they turned it down to 10 from 11....and yes mike stole the show. he needs more stage room, like a big cat in a small cage....overall, a really great show & looking forward to the boot. missed the opening as we missed the Go train by 10 seconds....crapper! by the sounds of it too, sounded pretty cool....
    toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966

We were in Section 203 as well, and the sound was terrible - overly loud and probably the worst I have experienced. We couldn't hear much of anything from Stone.

I was mainly looking forward to hearing The Fixer and Got Some, but they sounded so muffled that you could barely even tell what songs they were playing.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,141
    Great show & thanks 10C for the great seats as allways 3rd row in front of mike awsome ,the only thing i have to say is that i really don't like amphitheater's at all. can't wait for philly :) ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Great show & thanks 10C for the great seats as allways 3rd row in front of mike awsome ,the only thing i have to say is that i really don't like amphitheater's at all. can't wait for philly :) ....

I agree.....can't wait to be indoors in Philly.
  • epic show

pre set was incredible
    sugar mountain? i would have never guessed that
    then mike x2, then stone!
    beegirl
    then blitzkrieg bop followed by search & destroy! omg

highlights
    corduroy, severed hand...want some more i said yeah
    the fixer yeah yeah yeah yeah fight to get it back again
    unemployable...i've seen the light,... Uh-oh oh oh, uh-oh oh o...scared alive
    1/2 full and got some if you need it
    modern girl tag and save it for later tag

just a perfect night

best band ever
  • I think if they had a retractable ceiling for nice nights with no rain or if they could somehow put a couple feet of some sort of foam insulation on the underside of the roof they could cure the sound issues there. The sound bounces off the ceiling and hits those cinder block walls on the sides. It's set up like a giant horn tweeter. More than one way to exit after the shows would be nice too. For those nights when 16,000 people show up ;)

The sound in Buffalo HSBC is amazing....and it has been quite awhile since they have been there, hint hint. c'mon Pearl Jam show some Buffalo love!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Great show, and a typically great, very loud Toronto crowd. Thanks to the 10C for some excellent seats, sec. 101 row J. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists were the best openers ever! But those guys looked a lot like Ed and Mike and Stone and Jeff.

BEST OPENERs EVER!!
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right