*** Toronto Fanviews Here 8/21/09 ***

Comments

• You know, if the band could be standing (and I mean standing, since I've never been to one of their concerts where sitting was ever a consideration) in the crowd, just looking around at some of the faces and reactions of their fans - they would be walking with a permanent smile on their face - like I am today - because these guys never cease to amaze me. Age ain't doing them any harm.

I can't wait for my camera battery to recharge and check out some of the videos I took. I know, absolutely for a fact, that they are going to be shaky and all over the place, because I couldn't stop rockin' out with the boys - but if they captured the feel of the night - then I'm a happy camper.

Fuckin' fantastic night. Hats off the PJ and would love to have them swing by T.O. again before I go rangy from withdrawal. :D
    VoV
    I better make something of it - cause the in-between is MINE!!!
    Toronto: June 28/2003, September 19/2005, May 9 & May 10/2006, August 21/2009, September 11th & 12/2011
    Buffalo: May 10/2010
  • Does anyone know what time the show ended?
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24
  • Does anyone know what time the show ended?

Just around 11:15pm
  • So anyone know what they soundchecked last night?
  • pineapplesandwaves.pineapplesandwaves. Posts: 1,808
    edited August 2009
    We were just approaching the Amphitheatre as the "opening band" was taking the stage, and my friend started freaking out when she heard cheering. I thought they were awfully big cheers for the opening band, but I told her not to worry, it's only the opening band, we won't miss Pearl Jam. Boy, was I wrong! :oops: It's the only time I've ever missed the opening band for a concert, and we missed quite the treat.

Anyway, the concert itself was AMAZING!! The boys were having a hell of a time. They were passionate, energetic, and genuine. It was truly amazing, and I am so happy that I was a part of it. I feel very lucky to be a fan of a band that is still passionate about their music and genuinely enjoys performing the songs they’ve played hundreds of times before. They never cease to amaze me. And as others have mentioned, last night was the Eddie and Mike Show. Incredible!

Highlights: Opening with Of the Girl!! Porch, Faithful, Brain of J, Not For You, Why Go, Got Some, Inside Job, Black, Off He Goes. Mike Effin' McCready!!!! I can't wait for the bootleg!!

Like others have mentioned, it seemed to end very abruptly. It felt really short, but I suppose I feel that way after every Pearl Jam concert, just wanting a little bit more. :) Also, like others, Wishlist seemed to be a bit of a buzz kill. Other than that - - superb!!

And how freakin' amazing is Mike McCready! I love that guy!
    Post edited by pineapplesandwaves. on
  • JaySinJaySin Posts: 87
    I picked up a medium t-shirt last night but need it in large. Fits pretty slim. Anyone want to trade? Send me a PM.

P1010001_1-1.jpg

P1010002_1-1.jpg
  • Well.....I might change my mind later....but this might have been my favorite show I have attended.

I had great seats, around great people. I had forgotten how great the sound is at the Ampitheatre.

PreParty
    Demetrios et all did just a great job running the show. Lots of people, great rooftop patio on a beautiful night. I am sorry to hear that people were turned away - because it was a lot of fun. A little too much fun.

Getting to the Show/Opening Pre Set
    We started to hear rumors that they had soundchecked Of the girl, and everyone started getting excited. The walk from the Prety Party was longer than I expected. When we got to the Ampitheatre there were huge lines everywhere, and just as we got through the gate, we could hear Ed's voice.

By the time I actually grabbed a beer, and Sat down - he was just starting Needle and the Damage Done. The guy behind me was there and filled me in about Ted Leo....What an experience.

what happened with ted leo?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    Fantastic show. It was my 8th, and could have been the best in terms of energy and crowd participation.
    It was long and beautiful and it really appeared that everyone in the band was taken aback by the incredible crowd participation and singing - We Nailed It! and they loved it. It seemed like they did not want to stop even after putting on a mammoth show.
    Ed said repeatadly how great the crowd and singing was - and was often speechless in awe like all of us.
    It was really awesome.
    I had the best seats yet - it pays to keep up your membership- sec 203 row O, great view and I did not need the jumbo screens.
    Of the Girl was a sweet and unpredictable opener and the first time I have heard that amazing song.
    Brain of J was great
    Eddies Voice seemed flawless to me - I don't understand it but he rarely seems to miss a note anymore - he has turned into a demi-God of sorts I guess.
    Faithful was perfectly executed and had great crowd singing for a slighly rare song
    Lots of "fucks" from Ed tonight - could be a record
    Alive was tripley sweet - One of the best songs ever made and an incredible version with the crowd going nuts - Ed had tangled mic cables but didn't seem to care - no tantrums - My wife that morning had a breast lump that we had been very worried about - cleared as a "benign cyst" in an ultrasound so i was holding her tighly and our spirits were soaring. Even to give that song to the world is a enough.

No one has mentioned the Even Flow mishap yet so here it is:
    I missed the fall but Eddie ended up on his ass for the 2nd verse of Even Flow - he kept right on singing - perfectly - but sitting down in behind the monitor - he wasn't moving except for his facial singing contortions, and he nailed the singing - sitting down! I thought he might be hurt - I think he was leaning on the mic stand and it broke under him and he crashed to the ground. Anyway, after the verse he whipped himself up and kept going, looking occasionaly at his arms - you could tell it was a potentialy nasty wipeout and he had had some wine by that point.
    The show kept going then my wife noticed a bleeding gash in his left elbow - about 3 inches long - not dripping blood but bleeding. Like a good Canadian Hockey player - he kept going although I'm sure it hurts today.he threw his busted mic stand to the back of the stage and was brought a new one.

The singing was amazing.
    Mike McCready took off his shirt to show off his tatoos and the fact that he is still in good shape.
    Wicked show.
    Sure, more rarities would have been nice, but with the crowd, and the night, the set was pretty much perfect. And no Jeremy, which I like because it is my least favourite song.
    Even Inside Job was great and I don't like that song too much either.

One last thing - Off He Goes - NAILED AND PERFECT! it is an incredible song but not always played sweet and perfectly - last night it was immaculate.

Off to Chicago tomorrow!
    Thanks Ten Club
    Thanks Ten Club members who know how to party

It is hard to describe this band to people who haven't seen them live. One thing I thought of is - How many bands do you see where EVERYONE is standing up way before the band even takes the stage? Before the lights even go off! While the set up crew is still working? So much anticipation 15,000 people have to stand.
    That is a good band.
  • rodentrodent Posts: 133
    So anyone know what they soundchecked last night?

I was walking around Ontario Place when I heard some guitars. Ran closer to the amphitheatre and caught:

Of the girl
    Off he goes
    some of Whishlist
    Wasted reprise

I thought they were done as I heard a song and voice that i didn't recognize. Since there was only 20mins before the gates opened and i still had to eat before the rush to the merch tent i decided to leave. I later realized that the song and voice that i didn't recognize was Mike doing his sound check.

I still can't get over how great last nights show was. I have post PJ blues. Wish i could afford to go to more shows, but i'm grateful for the incredible night we received. :P
  • SnickersSnickers Posts: 13
    Man, the CNE sure made getting to the venue more difficult! Jam packed transit and a crazy detour of a walk! Hopped in a cab for the trip home though...a total breeze!...15 minutes and 20 bucks later we were at my local drinking real beers!

The bad: beer lines (d'uh!), getting there.

The good: band was in fine form, good sound, beautiful weather, nice skyline and the best PJ crowd I've been in.

Set list highlights: Corduroy, Off He Goes, Faithful, Do The Evolution and Wishlist.
  • PJ = MAGIC!!!!!!

I loved 'Faithful', oh who am I kidding??? I LOVED IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They definitely need to book a 2-nigher for T.O. going forward tho.. Loved the 10C tix - impressive how they treat their club members ;o)

Molson Park/Barrie - Aug 05, 1992
    Air Canada Centre/Toronto - Sep 19, 2005
    EV solo Massey Hall/Toronto - Aug 13, 2008
    Molson Amphitheatre/Toronto - Aug 21, 2009
    HSBC/Buffalo - May 10, 2010
    Air Canada Centre/Toronto - Sep 12, 2011
  • thank you pearl jam. this show was so good, not my favourite PJ gig, but thats just because some guy kept talking to me during "off he goes" which is one of my fav PJ songs. either way, fucking rockin show! and having them open for themselves was a wicked treat. can i get a hellls yeah for "bee girl"? i had the lyrics to that song taped on my wall when i was a teen, so hearing it was pretty special. and "search and destroy"? sooo gooooood!

love to all the toronto jamily for dancing with me last night! ;)
    * Molson Amphitheatre - June 28, 2003
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 19, 2005
    * Eddie Vedder- Massey Hall- Aug 12, 2008
    * Molson Amphitheatre - Aug 21, 2009
    * HSBC Arena - May 10, 2010
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 11 2011
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 12 2011

• TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 547
    edited August 2009
    Just wanted to say one other thing.

Yield is my favourite album = I was very, very happy last night :D

Brain of J :D
    Post edited by Torontonian on
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    this was my eighth show, and it certainly was unique.

i timed everything perfectly, i was walking to my seats as eddie took stage for the pre-show. when he started sugar mountain, i started to dream that this would be an all-neil opening set, or at least an all-ed one. we got something even better. though he continued with the needle and the damage done (promising to play something else if he fucked up), that was the conclusion of the neil songs -- until the end of the show at least.

mike's songs were beautiful, and i never realized he could sing (see 1992-02-03 boot when he attempted a snippet of bohemian rhapsody).

stone's cover, can't put your arms around a memory, was well done, although i was unfamiliar with the original. post-song, stone mentioned the poor weather the previous day, and was grateful that on the day of the show, we got "no rain... NO RAIN".

Of course that led to jeff coming on stage (for a moment, i thought maybe we'd get sweet lew), joined by ed soon thereafter, and we were treated to a spectacular version of bee girl.

knowing that the pharmacists were going to do a couple before the world debut of a new band (ed and the pharmacists), i quickly went to get another beer (no line). the pharmacists sounded pretty good, and i enjoyed their cover of blitzkreig bop, and walking back to the seats, we noted that the new band was about to begin. as search & destroy started, mike ran out on stage as well, and proceeded to own the performance. as a side note, i am SO glad that my seats were in section 203 -- MIKE'S SIDE.

after an intermission, the real show began. of the girl opened things up and the crowd went wild (this was my first time catching it live after much wishing). the song built up so much energy that it spilled over directly into a blistering corduroy, with mike making the solos his bitch (yeah, i said it). continuing with building the intensity, we got the strongest version of severed hand that i have heard (third time in as many shows), and the crowd seemed to really be into it. then came why go, a song they soundchecked before their last show at the amphitheatre, but it didn't make its triumphant return to setlists until a few shows later. the waiting (although it drove me mad), was absolutely worth it. pearl jam really seemed to be channeling their 1992-selves for this performance.

being a huge yield fan, brain of j knocked this show up a notch, with stone's solos hinging it all together. ed told the crowd that they came on stage fifteen minutes late because there were still thousands of people trying to get in, and that they would play past the curfew accordingly. i am mine was dedicated to staying safe. the fixer (which has grown a lot on me since my first listens), was tremendous live, and did not feel out of place amongst more classic pj songs. more yield makes a great show, so it goes without saying that given to fly was a show highlight. ed prefaced off he goes citing the fact they don't play it too often (indeed, as this was my first time experiencing it live), and it was flawless and simply stunning -- i'm pretty sure my girlfriend had a tear in her eyes during it.

the requisite evenflow ensued, and as a previous poster mentioned, ed fell whilst hanging from his mic stand and sang the second verse from the floor. if that wasn't enough to make this version special, mike's solos were, to quote almost famous: incendiary. it was obvious that mike's astonish swith was in its 'on' position tonight.

unemployable was good, but faithfull was among the highlights of the show. yes, i'm a biased yield fan, but this was the ideal addition to the set (save maybe, a NO WAY -- i can dream). the crowd seemed to love it so much. this was followed by down, a song which i was beginning to believe i would never hear live, and it blew me away.

got some easily made the conan performance seem weak, then 1/2 full gave mike even more time in the spotlight. fuck, he's amazing. lukin/not for you and do the evolution (MORE YIELD), closed out the first set with a bang, leaving the overcrowded amphitheatre of pj addicts begging for more sustenance.

the first encore was great, and i for one quite enjoyed wishlist (try and figure out why), and ed's solo has come a long way since the album was recorded. other than that, this encore was a mike-fest, affording him every opportunity to showcase his unworldly talent. during black, ed seemed floored by the crowds intensely loud singing, and gave us a calmer, more subdued "we belong together" than i am used to.

small town opened up the second encore, and was dedicated to the people on toronto island. wasted reprise was a pleasant surprise, with no life wasted on the setlist, and it led into a version of betterman that continuously fed off the energy of the crowd, complete with an extended call & response section.

through my previous seven pearl jam shows, i had only ever heard porch acoustically. tonights electric performance of said song was just that... ELECTRIC. the entire extended jam confirmed my suspicions that mike did indeed sell his soul to the devil for his ability, as no mortal can possibly be that brilliant. it was fantastic and the biggest highlight of the night. this was truly the definitive version of the song in pearl jam's modern-day era. words still cannot explain how good this was.

the band closed with rocking in the free world, which ed stated felt like a tradition to play in toronto. the band was so tight, and everyone in the band got showcased one last time for the night. mike's solos (of course), and ed's powerful vocals made this the best version of neil's classic that i have ever heard live.

overall, this was an amazing show. i've been blessed to see quite a few above-average concerts from pearl jam, so it's really hard to place this in my all-time list, and right now i'm not willing to try. thanks to the opening sets, however, it is the most unique one that i have attended.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    wow, i'm verbose.
  • McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    verbose but well done!
    putting PJ into words is not easy!
    words can only point in the direction of its awesomeness but never contain it.
    (as Lao Tse used to say)
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    I was thinking about it... I had a great, cool African taxi driver on the way home, and while we were talking, he said a line that resonated with me.. it was all about people and their perceptions. He said that too many times, we complain about not getting what we want, but he suggested that maybe we're doing this wrong - maybe we should just learn to want what we get. 'To get what you want, you must want what you get' were his words, I believe. Had you asked me what a perfect show was - I think I would've answered differently to what we were treated to last night. That said, by the end of the night, I wanted what we got.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • ShadowShadow Posts: 177
    Phild44 wrote:
    On the setlist and not played:

Throw Your Hatred Down
    Yellow Ledbetter.

I'll post a pic as soon as its uploaded.

*Edit for Pic*
    5534_133735729728_620324728_2211320_2582768_n.jpg

Where did you get this ? So does that mean they were supposed to play Yellow Led and Throw Your Hatred Down and they didn't ?? That was my dream song to hear Throw Your Hatred Down...and we were waiting for Yellow Led at the end...people seemed to exit out a little too quickly.

We saw this setlist...I was sitting right beside the sound booth (Sec. 202) and it was taped on top of some piece of equipment (technical, arn't I). After Eddie announced that they were going to play after the curfew, things started getting scratched out and added. Anyways, I would have loved this list, but I guess someone else was able to nab it...good job!
    Escape is never --- the safest path
    2005.09.12-London; 2006.05.09-Toronto; 2007.08.05-Lolla; 2008.08.13-EV Toronto; 2009.08.21-Toronto; 2009.10.30-Philly; 2010.05.06-Columbus; 2010.05.07-Noblesville; 2011.06.26-EV Detroit; 2011.09.11-Toronto; 2011.09.12-Toronto; 2011.09.15-Hamilton; 2013.07.16-London; 2013.07.19-Wrigley Field; 2014.10.16-Detroit; 2016.05.08 Ottawa, 2016.05.10-Toronto; 2016.05.12-Toronto; 2016.08.20 Wrigley Field; 2016.08.22 Wrigley Field; 2018.08.18-Wrigley Field; 2018.08.20-Wrigley Field; 2021.09.24/25 - EV Ohana; 2021.09.26 Ohana; 2021.10.01 Ohana; 2021.10.02 - Ohana; 2022.09.03-Ottawa; 2022.09.06-Hamilton; 2022.09.08-Toronto; 2022.09.16-Nashville; 2023.08.31 7 09.02 Minnesota; 2023.09.05 & 09.07 Chicago; 2024.05.04 Vancouver 1; 2024.05.06 Vancouver 2; 2024.05.10 Portland; 2024-08-29 Chigaco; 2024-08-31 Chicago
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    benjs wrote:
    I was thinking about it... I had a great, cool African taxi driver on the way home, and while we were talking, he said a line that resonated with me.. it was all about people and their perceptions. He said that too many times, we complain about not getting what we want, but he suggested that maybe we're doing this wrong - maybe we should just learn to want what we get. 'To get what you want, you must want what you get' were his words, I believe. Had you asked me what a perfect show was - I think I would've answered differently to what we were treated to last night. That said, by the end of the night, I wanted what we got.

That's quite a driver you had there!

Wish I had read this on Thursday....would have saved my sorry ass Friday. :P

It did seem a great show during the setlist thread here on the board so it had to be 10 times more in person!

Glad you had a great time! :mrgreen:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • lukin420lukin420 Posts: 80
    WOW WHAT CAN I SAY BUT THANK YOU 10C /PEARLJAM FOR A GREAT NIGHT OF MUSIC AND GREAT SEATS

i was lucky enough to win the 10c lottery scored FRONT ROW STONE'S MIC.

HIGHLIGHTS- THE WHOLE PRE-SET PERFORMANCES/OF THE GIRL/BRAIN OF J/OFF HE GOES/FAITHFUL-DOWN
    LUKIN/NOT FOR YOU/PORCH EDDIE MAKING HIS 2009 DEBUT INTO THE CROWD
    MIKE MIC FUCKIN CREADY UNREAL ENERGY ALL NIGHT LONG WOW
    ED POINTING ME OUT AND WALKIN ME OVER HIS PICK AFTER OFF HE GOES. he's was still handing it to me when evenflow kicked an just made it back to the mic in time to hit the first verse then he bailed n ended signing quite a bit sittin on the ground rockin like a mad-man

my man stone was directly in front of me i was trying to pump him up he's sedemed a little still all night
    but i yelled at stone " i wanna see u pogo and i imitated the stone "duck walk" dance he had a good laugh an handed me a pick.

was fortunate to get a setlist as well would have loved to see THROW YOUR HATRED DOWN beggars can't be choosers when your front row lol. ( they already played alot of NEIL.. i would have probly cried if i seen I'M THE OCEAN on a set.

THANK U 10C lottery for somehow choosing me i will be forever great full for the experience of front row

had a good laugh when i was walkin out of the building an was told by many people hey your the guy from the big screen.

my buddies who were in the lawn and 300 said they seen me jumpin 8 feet in the air for lukin on the big screen an all other jumping cues ex given to fly evenflow evolution hahahah

once agin thank you 10c for this great memorable night.

p.s. with say 4 soild rarities to split up the hits in the encore's would most likely have made this my fav PJ SHOW but with the amazing pre-set and FRONT ROW experince i'm just counting my blessing's

oh ya did i mention i was front row.....lol also i apoligize for my intence rockin out being 6'3 everyone behined me seemed pretty cool so thank you...
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,741
    And here's my review:

Not sure you can start a Pearl Jam show off better than Eddie doing Sugar Mountain & The Needle and the Damage Done....

The other presets were pretty sick too. Mike McCready could actually sing!! Those songs were good.

10C seats were good.. 202 row D. Opening with Of the Girl was unexpected....... i'm still 50/50 on whether it was a good or bad unexpected. The next 5 songs rocked. Mike was just solid. Solo after solo after solo... after sweet solo. :)

The rest of the main set was good. I loved The Fixer & Got Some.

And I know that a lot of folks.. especially in the 10C areas have been to a few shows.. as with me.. but I thought there would be more love for Fixer and Got Some. People were still very into Given to Fly, DTE, and Even Flow... which is fine... but not a lot of people seemed to be into Fixer and Got Some. Could have been just my general vicinity. I think Got Some will become a staple in PJ shows for another few years to come.

The crowd did seem to be into it other than that though.... which helps the experience. Lots of people singing. Lots of people moving and such... as opposed to the standing there like deer in headlights.

I think BeerBaron posted this earlier as well.. but I wanted to add it as well.... The encores were very good, but not great. (this may be due to some INCREDIBLE SHOWS I've seen in the past) I saw a copy of the setlist, and I'm pretty sure if they played Throw Your Hatred Down... that opinion may have changed. But I think it was... Inside Job, Wishlist, Black, Alive.... which is good (especially Inside Job), but I agree one more song in that set would have made it great. Perhaps a cover or rarity.... look I know I sound greedy and selfish and what not.. but it's a PERSONAL opinion... bash it all you want.

The next encore... small town, betterman, porch, rockin' in the free world. Again, good encore, but seemed to be missing just that one song ya know.

But, can't complain... 27 songs not including the Ed, Mike, Stone, Jeff & Mike solo pre-sets.

highlights:

The entire pre-set
    the Fixer
    Off He Goes (very nice... great singin Ed) .... actually.. I'll stop to comment further here. After hearing this last night... it renewed my appreciation for just how fuckin' great this song is. In fact, I think I'll play it now D

Down
    Got Some
    Lukin/Not For You/ Modern Girl
    Inside Job
    Black (for whatever reason.. this version of black stood out for me... this one and Buffalo '03 of course.)

and finally..

Porch. say what you want about the "new" version of porch.. but it rocked. Mike was.... well Mike. The whole thing was great.

Doneskies.

Oh, by the way, im not sure if it was posted here yet... but the guy Eddie threw the tambourine to at the side of the stage appeared to be (I'm 98% sure) Lyle Overbay from the Toronto Blue Jays.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • My talented friend Carrie took the photos for this Spin Magazine online review:

http://www.spin.com/articles/pearl-jam-kick-north-american-tour
  • SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    ^^ It was 100% Lyle Overbay. I was second row on Mikes side and noticed him around the beginning of the 1st encore. He's a huge PJ fan as evident by the fact that 'Jeremy' plays every time he comes to the plate.
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,741
    Swordo wrote:
    ^^ It was 100% Lyle Overbay. I was second row on Mikes side and noticed him around the beginning of the 1st encore. He's a huge PJ fan as evident by the fact that 'Jeremy' plays every time he comes to the plate.

yeah i figured as much... i was centre stage so it was a little tough to tell... and yes big pearl jam fan :) he was rockin it out a bit.

my fav. Blue Jay :D
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Cool!

My video and pics got posted on two feet thick! :D

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2009/08/pearl-jam-open-for-themselves-in-toronto/
  • Amazing show...everyone's already said pretty much all that needs to be said. The whole band was super tight. Of The Gril to open was fantastic. I was not aware that all the merch boots did not all have the same stuff to buy...I would have really like onw of those Maple Leafs style t-shirts...If anyone bought a Large for some reason that they don't want, please PM me...I'd be very much interested in getting this off you...

Here are some videos I took. The guy beside me was shit faced and kept bumping into me...It didnt bother me too much because he was having a good time but he had really hary arms and was sweating a lot...ewww. Enjoy the vids!

Bee Girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uViX6m0eAt8
    Of The Girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JYW5siwKA4
    Brain Of J http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB7K2k6st10
    Lukin / Not For You http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvTKB9g9FM
    Off He Goes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brc_mEwXWM8

I'm also very pleased with how they only went on 5 minutes late but they were allowed to break curfew by 20+ minutes...not a bad trade off if you ask me :)

I seriously hope all these pre-set songs are included on the bootleg like they did with the Mansfield show in 2003 and the Gorge in 2005...*cough-10c-cough*
  • Swordo wrote:

I was wondering if it was him, as well. I was in the second row of 203, but couldn't tell for sure.

Unfortunately, Overbay doesn't just have 'Jeremy' play when he comes to the plate; he also has Creed (and I believe Linkin Park, from time-to-time). *shudders*
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,667
    Awesome show! Ranks 2nd for me just behind Buffalo 03. Cant believe what transpired before the show. What a nice surprise. For the first time Ive seen in my opinion, Mike McCready stole show. His solo set was awesome. His playing was surgical. The jams for even flow, black, porch, etc were amazing. Maybe I noticed it more because it was the first show I have ever been to that had video screens and I could see closeups of his live playing.

My seats were better than ever. Thanks to 10. 201 row K. Stone's side, the closer you were to the sides, the closer as the 200 sections have a considerable "bow". The tallest man ever was in front of us though.... but for me that is expected.

Eddie falling during even flow was interesting. He sang some of the song from the floor. Then got up the mike stand fell over and he chuck it off stage. You could see he had a nice bleeding wound on his elbow.

I thought the band was VERY tight. it seems like they get better every time I see them. Great night, great venue.
  • SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    Swordo wrote:

I was wondering if it was him, as well. I was in the second row of 203, but couldn't tell for sure.

Unfortunately, Overbay doesn't just have 'Jeremy' play when he comes to the plate; he also has Creed (and I believe Linkin Park, from time-to-time). *shudders*

That's a bit dissapointing. haha. I guess I've just been lucky as that's the only song I've ever heard him play.
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Shadow wrote:

We saw this setlist...I was sitting right beside the sound booth (Sec. 202) and it was taped on top of some piece of equipment (technical, arn't I).

no i got mine from mikes tech after the show
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13