Options

farewell to Ten Club (long)

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    How did people transfer tickets on previous tours? I've never heard of the proxy letter thing before? On previous tours you'd contact the 10c in advance, and they would transfer the tickets in advance so that the person attending the concert would have their name on the tickets the day of the show instead of original purchaser?

maybe the 10c needed the proxy letter sent to them directly with the id so they could set that up, not the day of the show itself? It was probably a miscommunication?
  • Options
    tacettacet Posts: 323
    I feel for you Joe, I really do.
    I can completely understand the disppointment you must have felt, especially having
    to travel a distance all the while believing you were going to be able to watch the
    greatest live rock show on earth in pretty decent seats.

but(ain't there always a butt),

while I agree the situation could have been handled a little more tactfully by the 10c rep
    there, you have to put yourself in her shoes, I think.

and(ain't there always an and?)

Your decision to drop out of the 10c is your perogative but I always have to wonder why people
    feel the need to post that they are doing this.
    I understand you feel you needed to rant but you should have figured that 98% of the people here
    couldn't give a rodent's ass that you have made this decision.

Personally, I hope you don't let 1 bad experience outweigh all the other good things that have
    come your way due to your association with this band because the best is yet to come and
    it would be a shame if you missed out on them - 10c style.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,622
    The thing that makes me slightly suspicious that there is more to the story (at least as far as the Italian feller goes) is the fact that he called and the transfer procedure just so happened to be the same exact procedure which was allowed for U2 a few weeks prior.

Is it possible the OP was slightly misled by his friend?
  • Options
    SS25454 wrote:
    I feel for you Joe, I really do.

Your decision to drop out of the 10c is your perogative but I always have to wonder why people
    feel the need to post that they are doing this.
    I understand you feel you needed to rant but you should have figured that 98% of the people here
    couldn't give a rodent's ass that you have made this decision.

I'm used to think that as long as a bad story remains underground (or private) it can't help too much to solve similar issues in the future.
    I was pretty confident that probably 98% of people around here would have followed the "rules are rules" opinion, but I was hoping that the same 98% would be treaten in a more decent way should similar things happen again.

And about decision of no more money to PJ, this is the only way I have to touch them in a tangible manner.
    They would not probably take care of it, but at least I won't feel fucked twice.

R
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Wait a second, I guess I missed that part with the post being so long I guess, or maybe I'm too tired but, he still got good tickets?

Dude,

STFU!

Seriously OP, you got great seats and you are still butt hurt? Man I was in the middle on this one too! Not anymore.

it's not about the seats, it's about how he was treated by the staff member and how the policies are enforced . . .
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    joeroberts wrote:
    And, by the way, I won't ever STFU!

R

Good. It's because people STFU! and are afraid to speak up that a lot of staff at places feel they can walk all over customers.... kudos for standing up, but at the same time, I would NOT have left there with her saying "this conversatrion is over". I'd have demanded the issue get resolved and not let her get away with avoiding the conflict.... that's all it was about.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    I have a question...this "Karen" is a 10C employee (from Seattle) and she was in London at the venue? Or, was this a venue employee who was just in charge of the 10C tickets at the venue? Can you give me some clarification on this?
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    nevmiles wrote:
    joeroberts wrote:

R

Good. It's because people STFU! and are afraid to speak up that a lot of staff at places feel they can walk all over customers.... kudos for standing up, but at the same time, I would NOT have left there with her saying "this conversatrion is over". I'd have demanded the issue get resolved and not let her get away with avoiding the conflict.... that's all it was about.

You're right, but I wanted to get into the arena, not into jail ;-)
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133
    Flagg wrote:
    One point he made though has always bugged me. What does happen to the tickets that go unclaimed because someone could not go to the show and 10C won't allow a transfer? Do they resell them or do they just go unused?

10C should allow transfers. They used to do it. They should now. I can't imagine too many people request.
    The 10c assured me the tickets are not re-sold when i was in touch with them. There should be some middle ground on this issue. if you buy tickets anywhere else you would more than likely have tickets posted to you so if you can't make a show you have the chance to sell them (for face value of course). As I'm from Glasgow there was no way i could get down to london to even pick up the tickets and pass them on. if I had lived in london i could have gone to the O2 picked up tickets and band and sold them on. So although there are some attempts to stop scalping you could easily circumvent it if you that was what you wanted to do.

A much better way would be to release them and put them back on sale to 10c members and the original purchaser gets their money back minus some kind of admin fee (say 15%).

As I've stated i think the 10c do a pretty good job overall and I was lucky enough to get SBE tickets which would never have happened if I wasn't a 10c member.
  • Options
    kcherub wrote:
    I have a question...this "Karen" is a 10C employee (from Seattle) and she was in London at the venue? Or, was this a venue employee who was just in charge of the 10C tickets at the venue? Can you give me some clarification on this?

look who posts all pictures in this site, then you'll easily find her linkedin page and see what she's doing for PJ
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,002
    I think a decent and fair thing for the band to do is to wait until half an hour after the band starts, take all the unclaimed Ten Club tickets, and offer them to Ten Club members for a slight discount. They could even do it where they just randomly pick an envelope, and give it to the person waiting to buy.. this way, it becomes a 'last minute lottery'.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Caro Riccardo,

ma il concerto e' stato bello almeno? :)
    Capisco la tua rabbia, ma purtroppo penso che siano cose che capitano...

Non smettere di ascoltare i Pearl Jam, eh :P
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    joeroberts wrote:
    nevmiles wrote:
    joeroberts wrote:

R

You're right, but I wanted to get into the arena, not into jail ;-)

Well if you go to jail for demanding that the issue get resolved (without hitting etc., but with a smile and patience) then our society is fooked . . . . it's not a crime to demand some decent customer service. All I'm saying is I would have stayed there, and not taken no for an answer, as politely and nicely as I could . . . (and I'm not saying what they did was right by the way, I really feel for you, it's a shame that many companies feel they can push people around when they feel they are in a position of power - and on the other side of the coin, I can't say that what they did was wrong re: the rules, it just seems that the main issue is how Karen treated you . . . tickets/policies/rules aside)
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    There is good way to do business...
    There is a bad way to do business.....

And there is a things called common sense....and decency

There is a something to be said for "Doing whats right"

Thats all I have to say about this.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    OceanStoneOceanStone Posts: 333

I love how you get right to the point .
    Simple and that's that.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    joeroberts wrote:
    First thing I’ve learned is that Ten Club is a place where the law doesn’t apply. In the real world, a proxy letter is enough even to vote in a shareholders meeting of a company but not to collect tickets for a Pearl Jam show. Let me briefly remind you what does the USA law say about Proxies.
    Proxy is defined by supreme courts as "an authority or power to do a certain thing." A person can confer on his proxy any power which he himself possesses. Where the proxy is duly appointed and he acts within the scope of the proxy, the person authorizing the proxy is bound by his appointee's acts, including his errors or mistakes (source: Wikipedia). So, yesterday, not taking into account the proxy letter, Ten Club has finally broken the law.

I don't think your interpretation of the law is accurate (keeping in mind I am not a lawyer in the US or the UK). You are using an example where a proxy is an acceptable legal document in lieu of appearing in person (i.e. voting as a shareholder of a corporation) and you are applying it to a private fanclub. I do not believe 10 Club broke the law. On top of preserving the club rules, they are also trying to ensure they are not giving tickets away to the wrong fan. In a busy situation such as the one you have explained, I do understand why the 10c employee would deny you the tickets. If I thought an exception was being made for me, I would insist that the approval be put in writing by the 10c before taking a flight to a show. Regardless, I am happy to hear you scored good seats (which seems like a great stroke of luck for you) and got to see a great show. Your beef if probably with whomever it was at the fanclub that told you this was cool in the first place.
  • Options
    J.J. Posts: 39
    damn that sucks! :( It's pretty ridiculous that staff member wouldn't transfer the tix. Good thing you still managed to get tickets.

I'll just post this before someone else does for the 6,876,564th time...

Tickets are not mailed in advance. Tickets are distributed at the venue on the day of the show. The Ten Club member must collect the tickets with a valid photo identification.

By opting to purchase tickets, you agree to all Ten Club policies. All ticket sales are final. No refunds, exchanges or transfers. Please visit here http://www.pearljam.com/ten-club/tickets for a full description of the Ten Club ticketing policy and procedure.

He called the 10c in advance and had confirmed that this was ok. Why post this? Yes we all know that we can't just transfer tickets.. come on now.. He called and made prior arrangements. Who the fuck walks to a "will call" with someone else's credit card info and ID copies trying to " steal " tickets? He also had the guy on the phone? It doesn't take genius to figure out that maaaaybe you should check into it? If I flew to see a show and got that line of arrogant crap.. I may have gone to jail out there. This is some crazy crazy shit.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027

for once, i agree 100% with SPEEDY.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    OceanStone wrote:

Simple and that's that.
    One thing I have learned in my 40+ years on this silly planet.....LIFE IS SIMPLE!!!! People make life complicated...Because people tend to over-think things......Or people make life difficult because they just cant deal with the truth....

There is right..
    There is wrong...
    There are facts...
    There is bullshit.....

Too many people like to deal with the bullshit....Instead of just dealing with the facts...
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    As harsh as this may seem, what the 10club needs to do is stand by their policy 100% - NO EXCHANGES, NO TRANSFERS PERIOD. It's unfortunate if something happens and you are unable to attend, but if that's the policy and they stand by it ALL THE TIME, then there is no issue.

that's my way of dealing with the facts and keeping things simple Speedy :)
  • Options
    As harsh as this may seem, what the 10club needs to do is stand by their policy 100% - NO EXCHANGES, NO TRANSFERS PERIOD. It's unfortunate if something happens and you are unable to attend, but if that's the policy and they stand by it ALL THE TIME, then there is no issue.

I agree with this...

If there is a rule in place...
    Then they HAVE to stick to the rule....
    Because once they make ONE exception to the rule.....

Well....We now see what can happen
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,630
    OceanStone wrote:

Simple and that's that.
    One thing I have learned in my 40+ years on this silly planet.....LIFE IS SIMPLE!!!! People make life complicated...Because people tend to over-think things......Or people make life difficult because they just cant deal with the truth....

There is right..
    There is wrong...
    There are facts...
    There is bullshit.....

Too many people like to deal with the bullshit....Instead of just dealing with the facts...

i couldn't possibly agree more.

unfortunately the world tends to revolve around, and thrive on, bullshit.

there is a lot to be said for the KISS theory.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    regardless of rules or policies, if his description of the conversation with this karen is accurate, then she needs an attitude adjustment or they need to keep her in whatever hole from which she was dug.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873

I agree with this...

If there is a rule in place...
    Then they HAVE to stick to the rule....
    Because once they make ONE exception to the rule.....

Well....We now see what can happen
    I agree they should stick to their rules if they've put them in place, but I think their policy on this matter in fundamentally flawed, and depending on the country flaunts the law, so I'm torn on this one.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    OceanStone wrote:

Simple and that's that.

There is right..
    There is wrong...
    There are facts...
    There is bullshit.....

This world should have more of us realists speedy ;) . KISS = Keep it simple, stupid!
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    J.J. Posts: 39

He spoke with someone before flying in. If that were the case than they should have never even entertained the idea of the proxy letter and ID copies? They were OK with this as it is an " unusual " situation. All was well until he got the box office. That is where he ran into issues and arrogance.

If he would have just jumped on a plane with some copies and a dream I would be saying he was a fool, but that seems to not be the case.
  • Options
    mjb wrote:

I don't think your interpretation of the law is accurate (keeping in mind I am not a lawyer in the US or the UK). You are using an example where a proxy is an acceptable legal document in lieu of appearing in person (i.e. voting as a shareholder of a corporation) and you are applying it to a private fanclub.

Neither I am a lawyer in UK, USA or in Italy.
    What I can see is that usually with a proxy you can collect a passport, results from medical exams or, as I mentioned, you can even vote in whatsoever company shareholders meeting.
    And nothing can prevent me from thinking that the importance of this club is lower than any of the above situations.
    Not taking into account that I can spell first name and last name of a person for whom this has worked in 2007.
    And that it's what my friend has been told by phone one week earlier.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,498
    well I dont know why you would get on a plane without some confirmation email and also knowing that the 10c has a no transfer rule
    Remember, getting 10c tickets is a PRIVILEGE, subject to the 10c's terms and conditions
    the customer is not always right when it comes to the 10c, as a longtime member, I would think you knew that by now

they make us jump through some ridiculous hoops to secure tickets, but that needs to be tolerated if you want the seats.
  • Options
    regardless of rules or policies, if his description of the conversation with this karen is accurate, then she needs an attitude adjustment or they need to keep her in whatever hole from which she was dug.
    Just saying...

If I were a judge....and I am having a case brought in front of me....

Go look at the original post in this thread....

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that this man is telling the truth...NO DOUBT

He has facts, documents, proper I.D, blah blah blah....

The response from the other party involved??? "End of conversation"

Just hearing those words "End of conversation" would tell me all I need to know about the other party involved.......
  • Options

This is the key, people . . . . eveyone is hung up on rules/policies/tickets etc . .. but I think it all comes down to decent customer service . . .
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18