Options

farewell to Ten Club (long)

Comments

• Options
    breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    Do you know what would piss me off?

If I got to the 10c window and they told me that my tickets had already been picked up by somene who had photocopies of my id and credit card.

Yeah. There was a bad fuck up somewhere in the system. The girl at the window made a judgement call and you didn't like it. Got it. I am not saying you weren't screwed over. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater is all I am saying.
  • Options
    breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    kevtic wrote:
    I fully understand the 10c's T&Cs but as i suggested earlier surely there could be some kind of system where tickets are re-released to 10c members with the original purchaser getting a refund minus an admin charge. Thereby stopping any abuse of the system as you have no control who gets the tickets. Somebody gets a ticket they want, original purchaser gets at least part of a return and 10c gets an admin fee to cover their time and costs. Win, win situation i would have thought or is that too easy?

Damn, that's a good idea.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    joeroberts wrote:
    All of a sudden 2 tickets became available (and they were good tickets indeed) and I could buy them!!

Then what are you fucking bitching about? I mean, if you flew from Italy to London and couldn't see the show, I'd expect a long crybaby post. But you saw the show so MAN UP!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    At least you still got tickets to the show. Did you at least have a good time at the show?
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    [quote="Seriously, if I had showed the original ID card of my friend, I wouldn't have any problem to get the tickets, how accurately they were during control process.[/quote]

Good point, they never look up to see if it is the real person. Your ID could be expired as well but all they do is check the name.

Here's a question, what would happen if you got a speeding ticket while driving to the show? Can you get in with a speeding ticket?
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    kevtic wrote:
    I fully understand the 10c's T&Cs but as i suggested earlier surely there could be some kind of system where tickets are re-released to 10c members with the original purchaser getting a refund minus an admin charge. Thereby stopping any abuse of the system as you have no control who gets the tickets. Somebody gets a ticket they want, original purchaser gets at least part of a return and 10c gets an admin fee to cover their time and costs. Win, win situation i would have thought or is that too easy?

that would be awesome, but dontcha think a lot of extra work for 10c's small staff?
    does anyone know just exactly when the 10c staff organizes the tix for show by seniority in their respective envelopes? it may well be doable, so definitely not trying to squash the idea at all b/c it definitely sucks to see 10c tix go to waste, just considering the logistics. also, i am sure there would be people who would bitch that they 'missed out on' the re-release of tix. :roll: haha. there will always end up being wasted tix at the last minute, b/c obviously they'd have to have a cut off point for refunds. and i wonder how exactly the tix would work as far as original purchaser's seniority and the new purhcaser's seniority. it would definitely be something that would need to be addressed if they ever implemented such a system. i wonder just how many 10c tix go to waste at any given show? it may not truly be a worthwhile endeavor on 10c's part if it is slim to none.

definitely a cool idea tho!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    breath123 wrote:

If I got to the 10c window and they told me that my tickets had already been picked up by somene who had photocopies of my id and credit card.

Yeah. There was a bad fuck up somewhere in the system. The girl at the window made a judgement call and you didn't like it. Got it. I am not saying you weren't screwed over. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater is all I am saying.

There are some paranoid Freaks out there ;):D
    sorry but I really can't imagine that there are some people who steals i.d. or some other personal documents to get into a show...
    There should be a possibility for transfers from 10c member to another one !
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Options
    JF256865JF256865 Posts: 19
    Ricky Ricardo,
    What happened to you is fucked up. But if you wanted to take a stand you should have quit as a fan right then and there. Paying more cash to go to the concert, then quitting after is WEAK.
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133
    that would be awesome, but dontcha think a lot of extra work for 10c's small staff?
    does anyone know just exactly when the 10c staff organizes the tix for show by seniority in their respective envelopes? it may well be doable, so definitely not trying to squash the idea at all b/c it definitely sucks to see 10c tix go to waste, just considering the logistics. also, i am sure there would be people who would bitch that they 'missed out on' the re-release of tix. :roll: haha. there will always end up being wasted tix at the last minute, b/c obviously they'd have to have a cut off point for refunds. and i wonder how exactly the tix would work as far as original purchaser's seniority and the new purhcaser's seniority. it would definitely be something that would need to be addressed if they ever implemented such a system. i wonder just how many 10c tix go to waste at any given show? it may not truly be a worthwhile endeavor on 10c's part if it is slim to none.

I don't know how many staff they have but that is why an admin cost would be levied that would hopefully cover the cost of any resale. There would clearly need to be a cut off point. If you find out the day before you can't go then its tough luck but like me who knew a month in advance i couldn't go then it seems fair to inform them of this and make sure the tickets can then go to someone who didn't originally get a ticket.

i think tickets envelopes are done by name at least that's how they were done in UK. No idea how they allocate the seats though. Mine were GA. I think the idea or something similar is at least worth considering
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    luxpjamer wrote:
    breath123 wrote:

Who thinks like this????? Who would get a copy of your ID & credit card for a Pearl Jam concert? Seriously... I think they would use their resources better at I don't know going shopping with your identity than going to a PJ show. Paranoid Play House Act II.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,318
    i can't argue with dining room tables.

Have you been watching Colbert?? ;)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    kevtic wrote:

I don't know how many staff they have but that is why an admin cost would be levied that would hopefully cover the cost of any resale. There would clearly need to be a cut off point. If you find out the day before you can't go then its tough luck but like me who knew a month in advance i couldn't go then it seems fair to inform them of this and make sure the tickets can then go to someone who didn't originally get a ticket.

i think tickets envelopes are done by name at least that's how they were done in UK. No idea how they allocate the seats though. Mine were GA. I think the idea or something similar is at least worth considering

yes, the envelopes are done by name, but the tickets within them are determined by seniority. obviously, in europe with mostly GA shows, it's not a big deal...but here in NA and usually elsewhere, it DOES matter. a LOT. also how the abuse of the system started. people with great #s bought tix, no intention of going, and resold em to friends with much worse 10c #s. i think it became a logistical nightmare for 10c. i did see the 'admin fee' you mentioned, but again...i think it's more about the TIME than the $$$. yes, perhaps a month before a show they'd have a 'stragglers sale' of excess 10c tix returned, and then have enough time to assemble tix in proper seniority order. i'd think doable. however there is still room for abuse of this system. again, what would be the criteria for refund? would people go and buy up tix b/c they can, and then just get refunds for tix to shows they decide not to go to? would death or illness or work be a required excuse? what kind of proof? these are all things they have to take into consideration. and this would also leave a lot of people out of 10c tix intially, and having to wait on additional releases, hoping to score, last minute plans, etc, etc. again, i definitely do see the plus side of it for someone with an unforseen life event, but i also see 10c's side....and actually, all the membership. 10c tix are a scare commodity to begin with. add in easy refunds, and they will be a lot more scarce, a lot more last minute, etc. as i said, i wonder just how many 10c tix a show, or even a tour, legitamitely go to waste due to illness, death in the family, or work engagement popped up. it IS a lot to consider. i think in the scheme of things, there probably aren't that many, and by keeping to this strict policy, it discourages any abuses and gets 10c tix in the hands of the most members who truly want to go, and want to plan to go from day one.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    joeroberts wrote:

Finally, you can’t finish a discussion simply saying “this conversation is over.” Never! Believe me, if we weren’t in such a situation and my target was not attending a show for which I’d flied overnight, maybe the conversation would have been finished but Karen surely would have left with the mark of my hand on her cheek, since I don’t admit even from my parents to shut my mouth this way.

I was with you up until this point. Nothing ever gives you the right to hit a woman. She was just doing her job.
    I'm glad you're leaving.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,852
    edited August 2009
    iamica wrote:
    joeroberts wrote:

Finally, you can’t finish a discussion simply saying “this conversation is over.” Never! Believe me, if we weren’t in such a situation and my target was not attending a show for which I’d flied overnight, maybe the conversation would have been finished but Karen surely would have left with the mark of my hand on her cheek, since I don’t admit even from my parents to shut my mouth this way.

I was with you up until this point. Nothing ever gives you the right to hit a woman. She was just doing her job.
    I'm glad you're leaving.
    I agree...

In any given situation involving a woman/man...A man should always be able to walk away...

Hitting a female is just fucking absurd...
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    iamica wrote:
    joeroberts wrote:

I'm glad you're leaving.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 + infinite!

There is a history of abuse in my family and me, my sister and brother are proud to have broken the cycle with our own children - that was one of our greatest fears of continuing the vicious cycle and we all worked very hard on not repeating the history.

My brother takes great pride in joining groups on Facebook similar to those:

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=never ... init=quick

My husband knows that ONE time he lays his hand on me... it's fucking over, even if I "deserved" it (in terms of being a royal bitch that I can be once in a blue moon).

I don't care if Rickyardo was "kidding" around because he's angry... but never never never never never never never never never never never never never..... even to threaten to hit a woman. :x :evil: :x :evil:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    How about just not hitting anyone, period.

at least now this thread'll finally get locked :roll:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

at least now this thread'll finally get locked :roll:

that's an excellent rule to live by.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I work in retail and on the side volunteer at a music venue, so I can see both sides. Karen and the venue were just doing their job. They have bosses. And their bosses told them what they had to do. At the music venue I volunteer at, although it never gets major major huge bands, but, many times, I have to check stamps to make sure people paid, or make sure a door is used as exit only by attendees and used as exit or entry by band and merch people. So many times, people, will come up to the door and go, "so I can go out the door, but I cant go back in the same door? Cant you bend the rules for me"? The answer is always no. Its like people are deaf. My boss at the venue told me what I need to do. Why would I not follow those instructions. Karen had instructions it seems from 10 club and the venue itself. She followed those rules.

On the other hand, yes, I can imagine this would be upsetting. You called the 10 club and asked for the preocedure and how to deal with your friend missing the gig.

I can see your side, and karens side
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    I hope "Karen" is reading this thread and is s.hitting herself right now
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Not being privy to the conversation that said a proxy would be enough, I can't say whether this is what was meant or acknowledged. But I have to look at it from "Karen's" side - if someone produces a letter and a photocopy of someone's ID, and she had not been made aware prior that this person would be coming to do this, I can see her skepticism. These are not things that would be hard to procure. And a voice on the phone is just that, a voice on the phone.

None of us were there except the parties involved, but I think the OP is barking up the wrong tree to call out the band or even 10C for the situation he found himself in. Maybe the situation could have been handled differently as well, possibly from both sides, as we don't know how he or she actually handled the situation. And it sounds like they may have helped him get some (by his account) good tickets, so he wasn't left entirely high and dry.

And how many 10C members had no trouble getting their tickets that day ? You can't take this one person's take on the situation he found himself in to color the entire organization. That's ridiculous.
    Logic and reason right there. Well said, reflectedfromafar.

Aw, shucks, I have my moments... :D
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • Options

exactly.
    it is not ok to hit ANYone, regardless of their gender.

i think reflectedfromafar really hit it home. there are definitely two sides to this story, and we are only seeing one presented. we all know the rules as well. the real question lies within, who - if anyone - within the 10c organization possibly gave out false information for transferring tickets. that seems to be the heart of the matter imo. otherwise, karen may've been a bit brash, but i am sure she was dealing with a lot at the time, and it Is highly unusual/skeptical for such a scenario to occur. glad the OP still manged to get into the gig!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

Agreed.I did imply only women because that was a higher percentage in my family but there were also men who were victims as well.

But yes, NO ONE.
    i think reflectedfromafar really hit it home. there are definitely two sides to this story, and we are only seeing one presented. we all know the rules as well. the real question lies within, who - if anyone - within the 10c organization possibly gave out false information for transferring tickets. that seems to be the heart of the matter imo.

Thanks for quoting him/her...but yes.

I also find it difficult that someone inside 10c would give out false information...but again, like *points above*, there are two sides to this story.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759

exactly.

Unless they really, really deserve it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

exactly.

Unless they really, really deserve it.
    True. But not a women.

If I saw this at the venue... I'd make sure I knocked him the fuck out.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    As I am sure it was stated previously the reason for no transfers is due to prior abuse of the system. They have to take a stand on this policy. Otherwise people will just find a fan with a low number and have them buy the tickets for them and transfer them. It sucks for some, but it's the policy.

And I can't feel sorry for the OP since we didn't hear the otherside of the story... Especially since he said he would have struck her in the face... Not cool!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    1) I'm a long-time fan, second-time 10C member (I quit once because I was annoyed at what I would call incompetence with just getting my Deep magazine in the mail-but hey, people fuck up, they're busy, whatever, bottom line is I'm still a fan, and want to be in the Club).
    2) those of you stating that "we pay for this VIP service, we deserve to be treated as VIP's" is BS. PJ set up this club to reward their fans, not because their fans deserved it. There's a difference.
    3) painting the whole club with the same brush as this karen person is ignorant
    4) we don't know both sides of the story
    5) people have bad days, we don't know the situation of Karen at that particular moment, how many other people that tried to scam her out of other members' tickets, etc, so maybe that was her straw. I'm not condoning being a rude person, but once working in the hospitality industry, I'm a lot more understanding of bad service when I get it, and I conduct myself accordingly. You never have a bad day and accidentally take it out on someone else, Ricardo?
    6) 10C put the "no transfers" policy in place TO PROTECT THE 10C MEMBERS AND THE INTEGRITY OF THE CLUB ITSELF.

How come most people on here don't get that?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I'm with the OP on this one. Just a terrible way to treat not only your customers but your fans. To the people saying "Quit whining...at least you got in!"....he had to pay for those other tickets. It's not like he got in for free. I would be more than willing to hold judgment until I heard the Ten Club side of the story but I doubt we ever will. I also can't believe that at the early hour of 3PM, she pulled out the "This conversation is over". That was MORE than enough time to try to rectify the situation via phone, fax or email. When do they hit the stage, 9pm? I have no doubt that if this Karen girl was in the mood to fix this, she could have or at least investigated it further. But....we only know 1 side of this story.

As for the no transfers....thank you SO MUCH to the people who took the time to copy and paste that policy and not only that, but put that part in BOLD LETTERS. Thank you....none of us had any idea of the policy. But while copying and pasting that you seem to be ignoring the fact that he contacted the Ten Club and they agreed to transfer this. You guys can get off your knees now.

The ticket BS was not cool but what was much worse was the line about smacking her. Not cool.
  • Options
    paulonious wrote:
    2) those of you stating that "we pay for this VIP service, we deserve to be treated as VIP's" is BS. PJ set up this club to reward their fans, not because their fans deserved it. There's a difference.

I don't think we should be treated like VIP's by any stretch but normally, I don't pay $20 a year for rewards. A reward is something free. I think for $20 we can expect some level of good service. Any time I have had an issue, they have came through but it's obvious that they didn't this time.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    My thoughts.

When I read that you wanted to smack Karen, but didn't cause you still wanted tickets, I felt you deserved every bad thing that came your way.

That aside, I wondered if you were given the opportunity to purchase two tickets where normally you wouldn't have? Meaning if you just showed up, would you have been able to buy tickets, or did you get hooked up cause of your situation?

Next, I don't think you should have paid double. You should pay for the tickets you bought, and your friend with the broken leg should pay for his tickets he didn't use. Now if you paid for them to be a nice guy, then great, but those tickets are HIS responsibility, and you can't really claim you were charged twice.

I think the best way to protest is to never give another cent to Pearl Jam in any way, shape, or form. BUT that really only hurts you. This is probably an isolated incident. Why fuck yourself. The Ten Club and benefits you get are way too good to throw them away in my opinion.

Now the worst part of this story is the way you were treated by Karen. That totally sucks, but no one knows her side of the story. Perhaps she was polite and well mannered and you became angry and abusive, then she became rude. I'm not saying that is how it went down, but I can imagine that as you were told you couldn't pick up the tickets you might have given her reason to tell you off. With only your story who knows?

As for the ticket policy. I hate that we can't transfer. It totally sucks. But I understand. It was completely abused in 2006. I know cause I contributed. I had no malice, but I think I was involved in at least two transfers. I think both times I was shut out of a show, and got tickets from a board member who couldn't make it.

I remember reading at the time that it was a nightmare to deal with.

The real injustice is if the guy with the broken leg was actually told he could get a transfer. I have a feeling something was lost in translation here.

The Ten Club should change the rule, and at least let people cancel the order, and if those tickets are then sold, then they get a full refund. In lieu of that there should be NO transfers, and then there will be no issues other than people eating the $$$.

Just my 100 cents. ;)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    kevtic wrote:
    Very interesting opening post from Riccardo. I also couldn't attend the London show after buying tickets. When i bought the tickets I was good to go but factors intervened and it became impossible to go. I contacted the 10club at the time when i wasn't sure if I could go or not and they said under no circumstances could i transfer tickets.

When i officially couldn't make it I tried again. A member on here needed tickets so i asked if i could transfer those tickets to their membership and was told no. I even then said could they give them to them for nothing as it didn't make any sense for someone to miss out if tickets were going spare. Again i was told no. At no point was it even intimated that i could transfer them by a proxy letter.

Ultimately this didn't work for Riccardo anyway but my question is why the confusion and double standards? i was approx £100 down on the deal surely there must be a simple way of releasing tickets back into the 10c for purchase by other 10c members especially if a show is sold out. After all we all pay a membership fee each year. I understand transferring tickets between members direct could have the potential to be scalped but I think you would be called on it if you tried to scalp to a 10c member.

I think in the main the 10c do a great job but a little flexibility or a little more customer care would go a long way.

yeah but giving the the tix "for nothing" doesn't mean that they didn't pay you a ton of money for them on the side

that is why the 10c has the rule and I can't blame them for not enforcing it....yeah it's a bummer and if someone at 10c said to bring a proxy letter ok but as far as 10c knew the guy sold his 10c tix to these people and he knew the rules going in
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
This discussion has been closed.