Options

farewell to Ten Club (long)

joerobertsjoeroberts Posts: 13
edited August 2009 in The Porch
Good afternoon Ten Club,

I’m Riccardo Marcante, a 42-year old member of the club and I’m back from London where I’ve attended the show yesterday evening.

The purpose of this email is the description of how I’ve been treated by Karen (I don’t know her surname), one of your representatives and the explanation of my disappointment.

The story begins around 10 days ago, when a great friend of mine, Stefano Mattiozzi (not only one of the old Italian members of the club, but also a customer who has ordered a lot of items from the club including tickets for USA shows, as you may easily check looking at his account) broke his leg. He called me and told me he bought 2 tickets for the London show through the Club but he couldn’t attend. So he asked whether I’d like attending the show in his place, and of course I said yes.

Then he called the club on Aug. 15th asking how to manage the issue. The answer has been that a proxy letter and copies of credit card and ID card would have been enough for me to collect the tickets in his name. By the way, that sounded fair enough to his ears since the same procedure was valid for U2 shows last week, in London as well. Furthermore, back in 2007, some friends of ours had adopted the same policy for Pearl Jam show at Wembley Arena!

So yesterday me and my girlfriend, we took our flight from Italy and went directly to the O2 Arena in order to collect our tickets.

But first a man, than a woman from the venue said that they were not authorized to give me the tickets since I was not the person whose name was on the envelop and those were the rules set by Ten Club. I showed them the proxy letter, together with the copies of ID and credit cards, the lady even spoke with my friend Stefano on the phone but there has been no way: she seems to understand our frustration but Ten Club was not authorizing the collection. So I asked to speak with a representative of the club and this girl, Karen, came to the window.

Wearing a fake smile she didn’t even really listen to my story, nor she gave a look to the proxy letter but simply said “I don’t believe you, we have a precise procedure for such issues, and I don’t have here any email announcing me the change of the name, so I won’t give you the tickets.” Then, when I asked to her whether my friend (it was 3PM and he was still on the phone) could have sent an email thus amending the errors we may have done, she replied “No, it’s too late now. This conversation is over”. I tried to explain to her what a proxy letter means but she claimed that “no matter what the law may say, this is the policy of the club.”

So, at the end I asked to the box office whether at least they still had 2 tickets to sell, since I was there only to attend the show (I left London right after it). The same lady said that they were available and I had to move to a different window. I went to that window, nobody before me, and asked for 2 tickets. “I’m sorry, no availability at the moment” the answer was. “What?!? But that lady one minute ago said you still have tickets!?!?” So the first man came on a side of the operator (he thought I was not seeing him) and nodded. All of a sudden 2 tickets became available (and they were good tickets indeed) and I could buy them!!!

So far the story, now the lessons coming from it.

First thing I’ve learned is that Ten Club is a place where the law doesn’t apply. In the real world, a proxy letter is enough even to vote in a shareholders meeting of a company but not to collect tickets for a Pearl Jam show. Let me briefly remind you what does the USA law say about Proxies.
Proxy is defined by supreme courts as "an authority or power to do a certain thing." A person can confer on his proxy any power which he himself possesses. Where the proxy is duly appointed and he acts within the scope of the proxy, the person authorizing the proxy is bound by his appointee's acts, including his errors or mistakes (source: Wikipedia). So, yesterday, not taking into account the proxy letter, Ten Club has finally broken the law.

Second point, you should keep in mind, and make sure that your representatives around the world understand, that WE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS, WE ARE THE REASON FOR YOU TO BE THERE, YOU’RE THERE TO PROVIDE A SERVICE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, NOT DESPITE THEM.

When you do your job, you must consider that a number of inconveniences can occur (maybe Karen has not received any email due to a technical failure? Maybe her co-worker forgot to follow the right procedure? Maybe simply Stefano didn’t understand it?). You should try and find a way to solve the problems, not being bound to a policy that should protect fans more than anybody else (why was it too late to receive the appropriate email when it was only 3PM and she had her laptop with her?). You should find an alternative way to solve the issues, showing interested to suggestions by your customer, especially when you’re in front of persons who have flight especially for the show (my friend was on the phone, she could talk to him and get sure nobody of us was cheating or, at least, she could allow me the collection only 10 minutes before the show in order to be even more sure).
Even more, you can’t talk to a customer without listening to him. I was asking to her why we should have not followed the right procedure if we knew it and she was saying the same old story about Ten Club rules.
We might have not followed the right rule but it’s not a reason for treating us that bad. There was plenty of time to do anything. The most disgusting part of it all is that, although I had the copy of my friend’s documents in my hand and he was on the phone and he was not complaining about any theft, Karen simply didn’t want to find a solution to help two members of the fan club for which she works and treated us as the worst of the cheaters she might had found on her road.
Finally, you can’t finish a discussion simply saying “this conversation is over.” Never! Believe me, if we weren’t in such a situation and my target was not attending a show for which I’d flied overnight, maybe the conversation would have been finished but Karen surely would have left with the mark of my hand on her cheek, since I don’t admit even from my parents to shut my mouth this way. How can you take such a liberty? Who do you think you are only because you wear a backstage pass and have a walkie-talkie?!?

Third point, the tickets. I attend shows of many different artists all around the world, I’m a member of several fan clubs (U2, R.E.M. and others) and sometimes it happens to me to buy tickets through them. But never ever I paid twice any tickets! Yesterday this is what happened: I’ve paid twice my tickets, like if I’d bought them from the worst of the scalpers I may have found on the boardwalk outside the arena. And if those 2 magic tickets wouldn’t have appeared, I had probably to look for some scalpers or get simply back home. And what about the “strange and sudden” availability of tickets? I’m really curious to know how many other tickets were “available but hidden”. And what if I ask where have my original tickets gone? Have they been re-selled to someone?

Fourth and final point. I’d never thought that a band like Pearl Jam, always claiming their commitment next to their fans vs. Ticketmaster and other companies could allow their employees treating their fans this way, like the worst of cheaters. Yesterday I’ve paid my last 100 pounds to anything linked with Pearl Jam. I hope you’re getting richer with those money, surely I won’t get any poorer. An old rule of marketing, probably the oldest one, says that it’s even better to lose money than a customer. Well, yesterday sure you’ve not lost any money (damn, you got the double!), but you’ve lost more than a customer. You’ve lost credibility in front of an old fan.

My friend is still at the hospital; he will raise his voice in the next few days when he’ll be back home. And you’ll have two disappointed die-hard fans.

As uncle Bob (Dylan) says, goodbye’s too good a word, so I’ll just say fare thee well!

Riccardo
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shawndyershawndyer Posts: 269
    Yes! I just moved to numbers lower. Thanks Riccardo
  • Options
    I just read your entire post and feel for your friend more than anything, no offense...shit happens and your friend should have called 10C and had his doctor confirm the issue and then been issued a refund, thus returning the tickets to the fanclub for another 10C'er

I do appreciate you eating the airfare and expenses, I would've hated for that to have happened to me, but I think I would have had something more concrete than a proxy letter the day of the event at the will-call window which more than likely increased congestion of traffic and probably slowed down everyone else trying to get their tickets and get in to the show...I understand the point you are (trying to) make here, but this is a highly unusual circumstance being thrown at a 10C staffer without any prior notice...so, now we all know what to do if this situation arrises for us, your lesson becomes ours...
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    Wait a second I thought all you needed to collect your tickets was your ID to prove that you are the ticket holder (the name section of our profile that cannot be changed I thought was the name that goes on the list). Do you need to have the credit card used and the ID that goes along with the credit card? If so I'm screwed, used a parent's credit card.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    but this is a highly unusual circumstance being thrown at a 10C staffer without any prior notice...so, now we all know what to do if this situation arrises for us, your lesson becomes ours...

So unusual that Karen should have sided with the side of reason and not the hard line, unreasonable stance of "rules are rules". I guarantee people don't try to steal other people's ten club tickets with proxy letters and other evidence that was presented on a regular basis, something was set up here and someone dropped the ball with the follow through. Seems really strange that this went down this way though, if it did the way it was described.
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    damn that sucks! :( It's pretty ridiculous that staff member wouldn't transfer the tix. Good thing you still managed to get tickets.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    Wait a second I thought all you needed to collect your tickets was your ID to prove that you are the ticket holder (the name section of our profile that cannot be changed I thought was the name that goes on the list). Do you need to have the credit card used and the ID that goes along with the credit card? If so I'm screwed, used a parent's credit card.

You are fine, my friend...this guy had photocopies of ID's and Credit cards that were not his....
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    but this is a highly unusual circumstance being thrown at a 10C staffer without any prior notice...so, now we all know what to do if this situation arrises for us, your lesson becomes ours...

So unusual that Karen should have sided with the side of reason and not the hard line, unreasonable stance of "rules are rules". I guarantee people don't try to steal other people's ten club tickets with proxy letters and other evidence that was presented on a regular basis, something was set up here and someone dropped the ball with the follow through. Seems really strange that this went down this way though, if it did the way it was described.

Kinda what I meant by 'highly unusual'...not an everyday thing, and, yes, seemingly, someone on one end or the other obviously 'dropped the ball'
  • Options
    The replies thus far seem to me to be quite selfish. I don't see any problem with the OP's situation. While it may be unpopular to say this, I have never seen such strict policies applied generally.

Having dealt with concert promoters both as a fan and as an insider, I am shocked by the arrogance that is often displayed. Whoever the representative in London was, she was surely of the mindset that concert-goers are not entitled to any type of customer service although they are the ones paying ridiculous amounts of money to support the artists and management.

If I had flown to a concert, I definitely would not have settled for a simple "this conversation is over" type response from anyone.
  • Options
    damn that sucks! :( It's pretty ridiculous that staff member wouldn't transfer the tix. Good thing you still managed to get tickets.

I'll just post this before someone else does for the 6,876,564th time...

Tickets are not mailed in advance. Tickets are distributed at the venue on the day of the show. The Ten Club member must collect the tickets with a valid photo identification.

By opting to purchase tickets, you agree to all Ten Club policies. All ticket sales are final. No refunds, exchanges or transfers. Please visit here http://www.pearljam.com/ten-club/tickets for a full description of the Ten Club ticketing policy and procedure.
  • Options
    Scott36Scott36 Posts: 109
    Anyone siding with the Ten Club here seriously needs to get off their knees and think rationally for a minute. Most everyone on this board is of the opinion that Pearl Jam and the Ten Club can do no wrong. This situation is absolute fucking bullshit, and I'd be damn pissed too. Sorry you had to deal with that shit, Riccardo. I can certainly understand why you never want to deal with the Ten Club again. I'd be absolutely livid if everything had been confirmed on the phone, and I'd booked a flight to fly in for the show, and then arrived to deal with what you faced. Hopefully you will be able to see PJ again some day, but it sounds like it certainly won't be anytime soon.
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    edited August 2009

Tickets are not mailed in advance. Tickets are distributed at the venue on the day of the show. The Ten Club member must collect the tickets with a valid photo identification.

By opting to purchase tickets, you agree to all Ten Club policies. All ticket sales are final. No refunds, exchanges or transfers. Please visit here http://www.pearljam.com/ten-club/tickets for a full description of the Ten Club ticketing policy and procedure.

Yah but the friend broke his leg and the 10 club said they could transfer the tickets when he called em after it happened! This was planned out and its pretty low they wouldn't honor that.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options

That's great you put that up all bold like but ask anyone who's been around here for a while, every tour the ten club accommodates ticket transfers. I know of them happening at least the past three tours.
  • Options
    Scott36 wrote:
    Anyone siding with the Ten Club here seriously needs to get off their knees and think rationally for a minute. Most everyone on this board is of the opinion that Pearl Jam and the Ten Club can do no wrong. This situation is absolute fucking bullshit, and I'd be damn pissed too. Sorry you had to deal with that shit, Riccardo. I can certainly understand why you never want to deal with the Ten Club again. I'd be absolutely livid if everything had been confirmed on the phone, and I'd booked a flight to fly in for the show, and then arrived to deal with what you faced. Hopefully you will be able to see PJ again some day, but it sounds like it certainly won't be anytime soon.

I think before we get to where you are seemingly going with this, we should hear the other side of this story

We are reading one person's version of what happened...I am not 'siding' with 10C, but we all know the rules inside and out at this point, especially the long-term fanclub members
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Yeah, thanks, Snoopy Died For Our Sins. The OP lost me after The Ten Club broke the law. :lol:
  • Options
    I think before we get to where you are seemingly going with this, we should hear the other side of this story

And that will never happen.

Ultimately it is none of anyone's business, it is between the ten club, the OP and original ticket holder. Perhaps the ten club can reach out and try and make it right. But for everyone of these stories out there is there is another talking about how a ten club employee came through for them. I have experienced this myself. The Ten Club employees are only people... we all fuck up from time to time.
  • Options
    I feel for the guy, and have never heard of them using any other means to let someone pick up tickets. Maybe there are members here that have been able to do it, but it has been the same set of rules forever, afaik.

DISTRIBUTION

* Tickets will be distributed at the venue box office on the day of the show only. We will not mail your tickets in advance of the show.
    * Tickets are pre-determined so arriving at the box office early will not increase your chances of better seats.
    * You must show a government-issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, school ID) to collect your tickets at the box office. No exceptions. It is also helpful, but not necessary, to have your Ten Club member number available for additional verification.
    * The Ten Club member whose account was used to purchase the tickets must be present to collect the tickets on the day of the show. No exceptions.

Not being privy to the conversation that said a proxy would be enough, I can't say whether this is what was meant or acknowledged. But I have to look at it from "Karen's" side - if someone produces a letter and a photocopy of someone's ID, and she had not been made aware prior that this person would be coming to do this, I can see her skepticism. These are not things that would be hard to procure. And a voice on the phone is just that, a voice on the phone.

None of us were there except the parties involved, but I think the OP is barking up the wrong tree to call out the band or even 10C for the situation he found himself in. Maybe the situation could have been handled differently as well, possibly from both sides, as we don't know how he or she actually handled the situation. And it sounds like they may have helped him get some (by his account) good tickets, so he wasn't left entirely high and dry.

And how many 10C members had no trouble getting their tickets that day ? You can't take this one person's take on the situation he found himself in to color the entire organization. That's ridiculous.
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • Options
    I like all these bold NO EXCEPTIONS people keep posting. Problem is... ten club HAS made exceptions in the past. It is not unheard of for them to help someone out that has say, broken their leg and cannot make the show.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Not being privy to the conversation that said a proxy would be enough, I can't say whether this is what was meant or acknowledged. But I have to look at it from "Karen's" side - if someone produces a letter and a photocopy of someone's ID, and she had not been made aware prior that this person would be coming to do this, I can see her skepticism. These are not things that would be hard to procure. And a voice on the phone is just that, a voice on the phone.

None of us were there except the parties involved, but I think the OP is barking up the wrong tree to call out the band or even 10C for the situation he found himself in. Maybe the situation could have been handled differently as well, possibly from both sides, as we don't know how he or she actually handled the situation. And it sounds like they may have helped him get some (by his account) good tickets, so he wasn't left entirely high and dry.

And how many 10C members had no trouble getting their tickets that day ? You can't take this one person's take on the situation he found himself in to color the entire organization. That's ridiculous.
    Logic and reason right there. Well said, reflectedfromafar.
  • Options
    None of us were there except the parties involved, but I think the OP is barking up the wrong tree to call out the band or even 10C for the situation he found himself in.

Dude you know Ed and Jeff were back there saying "A fucking proxy letter!? Fuck that and fuck that guy!" "No fucking way dude!" :lol:
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    While he probably won't read this... I'd seriously like to thank Ricardo for not only structuring his complaint well (paragraphs were broken down and he performed a spell check), I don't remember reading any cursing. Thank you for putting time and effort into airing your grievance instead of saying things like "2lame!"
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Wait a second, I guess I missed that part with the post being so long I guess, or maybe I'm too tired but, he still got good tickets?

Dude,

STFU!

Seriously OP, you got great seats and you are still butt hurt? Man I was in the middle on this one too! Not anymore.
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Wait a second, I guess I missed that part with the post being so long I guess, or maybe I'm too tired but, he still got good tickets?

Dude,

STFU!

Seriously OP, you got great seats and you are still butt hurt? Man I was in the middle on this one too! Not anymore.

Yes I am because:
    1) there were still tickets available at the box office but somehow they were hidden. Can someone explain me that?
    2) I was not cheating anybody but I've paid twice the price to get regular tickets; probably I could have found a chepear scalper out there.

And, by the way, I won't ever STFU!

R
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I want to know how good these seats were

Has it occurred to you that box offices might have tickets tucked away for such occasions, and that you might not have been as dicked over as you think you were? Has that thought crossed your mind for a second?
    Post edited by SolarWorld on
  • Options
    joerobertsjoeroberts Posts: 13
    edited August 2009
    SolarWorld wrote:
    I want to know how good these seats where...

Has it occurred to you that box offices might have tickets tucked away for such occasions, and that you might not have been as dicked over as you think you were? Has that thought crossed your mind for a second?

Section 111, Row Z seats 350-351

And no, this option has not crossed my mind since rules are rules and shit never happens, I've been taught by Karen.
    Post edited by joeroberts on
  • Options
    joeroberts wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    I want to know how good these seats were...

Section 111, Row Z seats 350-351

Hmmm, those look like they suck. Good seats? I think they got you twice! :lol:
  • Options
    Seriously though did you try and call ten club and speak to them about this before you went "postal" on the message board?
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Seriously though did you try and call ten club and speak to them about this before you went "postal" on the message board?

2nd section (3rd if you count side stage section) from the stage, closer than half the arena.
    To me they still sound good.
    3rd level or nosebleed seats would have been worse, how fool I am.

Prior to post it, I sent the message to 3 addresses of the fan club. Should you're interested, I'll keep you updated on their reply, although I won't bet a dime on a reasonable one.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    While I do empathize with Ricardo and understand his frustration... there are a couple of points I'd like to make...
    First off... August 15th... kinda short notice, yeah? I mean, I know the whole thing came up out of the blue, with the broken leg and all... being completely out of anyone's control... but, that short of a lead time does not allow for much confirmation/authorization... especially when they are already out on the road. There's a lot of stuff that goes on with a tour... let alone an overseas tour. I am certain you understand that, too.
    Also... I am glad that the Ten Club is strict with their tickets. It limits access to the tickets, especially from the general public. Some of those other fan clubs allow members to 'swap' tickets... which many do... swap tickets for cash and at a hefty profit.
    We have all gone through this ticket buying pre-sale here, right? Imagine if it were easy to transfer tickets... wouldn't that mean i could buy tickets for London... while living in L.A... with no intentions of going, rather, buying them with the sole purpose to sell them at a premium to pay for the local shows I plan on attending. And anyone living anywhere could do the same. Why not buy enough tickets to finance a free ride to a few shows?
    Again, I understand your plight... and i understand the Ten/VHC's side of the arguement. I am trying to look at it as objectively as I can.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    joeroberts wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Dude,

STFU!

Yes I am because:
    1) there were still tickets available at the box office but somehow they were hidden. Can someone explain me that?
    2) I was not cheating anybody but I've paid twice the price to get regular tickets; probably I could have found a chepear scalper out there.

And, by the way, I won't ever STFU!

R
    The 'Hidden' tickets are normally No-Shows. Tickets set aside for promoters, band friends and family, etc... If they don't show up, the tickets are up for grabs.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    joeroberts wrote:
    Prior to post it, I sent the message to 3 addresses of the fan club. Should you're interested, I'll keep you updated on their reply, although I won't bet a dime on a reasonable one.

You should have waited for a response, they might have made it right.
This discussion has been closed.