*** London, O2 Arena Fanviews Here 8/18/09 ***

Comments

• AlsaAlsa Posts: 10
    paulus2112 wrote:
    Alsa wrote:
    Hi this is the first time that im actually posting here. I've tried loads of times to get to a Pearl Jam concert but was never really lucky, every time it ended up with tickets being sold out and now they I could have managed to get tickets, I needed the money for the house I just bought.

But from what my sis told me ( lucky her she was there too ) and from all the posts I've read in here and the clips of youtube, just made me feel some of the emotions that went on last night.

Thanks to Pearl Jam for being who they are and thanks to all you for sharing these wonderfull moments.

After all these years of being one of the followers of Pearl Jam ( which im very proud of ) my day will come, hopefully soon.

I had been following Pearl Jam since forever and have been missing out on tickets too until this show, had to get them on credit card as I couldnt really afford it but there was no way I was going to miss this one for anything!
    Hope you get to see them!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome and looking forward in meeting some of you at a concert :)
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    paulus2112 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    If they had come on when they were meant to we would have been OK.

Did they start late?? I heard that Gomez were to start at 7.30 and Pearl jam were on at 8.45 - I thought that was pretty much how it turned out?
    I was told 8.30. No idea what's correct.
  • simonortonsimonorton Posts: 173
    A few pics from MEN and 02

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenthtwelth/
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there ... there's much more than this"

Manchester 92, 09, 12 (x2)
    London 96, 00 (x2), 06, 07, 09, 10
    Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    paulus2112 wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    If they had come on when they were meant to we would have been OK.

Did they start late?? I heard that Gomez were to start at 7.30 and Pearl jam were on at 8.45 - I thought that was pretty much how it turned out?

well i read somewhere, were it said they started 15 mins late, but i remember checking the time when they came on, and it was 8.50pm so unless my watch is 10mins slow, they came on 5mins later than stated. and finished at 11.20pm ish
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,818
    this must have been a great show
    I love this sequence
    # I Got Id
    # Rats
    # Got Some
    # Whipping
    # Light Years
    # Insignificance
    # Black
  • Sappy113Sappy113 Posts: 178
    Yea, I had no idea the tube closed down so early - relatively speaking - so I ended up stranded at Edgware Road where I was going to change to the Circle Line. Only it stopped half an hour earlier. Luckily the wife and I had a hotel in the Bayswater area, so we cought a cab the rest of the way, and it was still worth it so we could catch the end of the gig.
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    paulus2112 wrote:
    strummers wrote:

Us too - if you give them a ring they'll post them out to you free of charge!

Do you have the number?

me too, if you have the number, let me know, i'll easily give them a phone. i know it seems silly, but we do like our little souvineers
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • pearl spampearl spam Posts: 154
    what a gig! i went all five shows and i really do think they saved the best for last. the set list was amazing and to top it all off i got eds plectrum :D
    28/10/96--29/10/96--29/5/00--30/5/00--3/6/00--4/6/00--6/6/00--25/8/06--27/8/06--13/6/07--18/6/07--11/8/09--13/8/09--15/8/09--17/8/09--18/8/09
  • Hi everyone, this is my first post on here!

What happened at the O2 the other night, I have never been so physicly and emotionaly drained. The best gig I have ever been to, and what a first Pearl Jam gig! Was 2-3 back from the front inbetween eddie and stone.

Massive thank you to PJ, the 10c and everyone that made the night of the 18th Aug so magical ESP the guy that poured water down my throat think I was going to pass out!!

Hope to see you all again at a PJ gig.... Whenever and where ever it may be.
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Home in the USA after a intense tour! I had front row center for this show and Ed gave me his harmonica he played on footsteps. The show was fucking amazing probably the best PJ show I have ever seen. Bring on Philadelphia!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • TumblingDice66TumblingDice66 Posts: 8
    edited August 2009
    I haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet, so forgive me if I'm repeating what others have said, but wanted to post my impressions of the show:
    -- I was able to get up very close, within a few feet of the front, in the swarming, sweaty, bouncing mosh pit. I felt privileged to be able to see the band from such a close distance, and it was an absolutely stunning experience. It was one of the two best PJ shows I have ever seen - the other one being the Wembley show a couple years ago. It was an amazing, inspired performance by the entire band.
    -- The sound of the arena was superb. Ed said to the audience that he had heard that the place was supposed to have good sound, and it was absolutely true. I could hear everything extremely well, without any of the normal distortion, muffling, and bad reverberation that you get in other big arenas. I think the sound was as good or better than the small opera house I saw Ed play at in Baltimore! Not sure how that's possible in a big arena.
    -- Mike McCready's playing was amazing. He was pulling gorgeous tones out of all his guitars. Especially amazing were the soulful and complex sounds he coaxed from his Fender Strat on Yellow Ledbetter, which he seemed to play with an even greater level of heart and intensity than he normally does. Even though Strats are ubiquitous, very few people can make them sound full and beautiful, as they tend to sound thin and brittle unless someone is exceptionally gifted at playing. In Mike's hands, the guitar sounds rich, throaty, complex, and infinitely expressive - and I thought he added some beautiful new dimensions and a certain melodic "sweetness" to many of the songs. Even on the harder, bluesy stuff like Even Flow, his sound was more melodic, combining blues rock power with delicate subtleties to amazing effect.
    -- It was clear that the band had decided they wanted to make this a special show, since it was sort of a farewell to Europe for some time, but I think once they got out there they surprised even themselves as they got swept up in the power and intensity of the experience.
    -- Ed's voice sounded tremendous and he seemed in full command of it. I saw two of his solo shows this year, plus the Berlin and the London PJ shows, and his voice sounded amazing at all of them. He seems to have taken his voice to a new level recently, retaining the full baritone power he's always had but adding new expressiveness and control to his higher register.
    -- Stone seemed really happy and like he's busting out of his shell lately. He smiled a lot and seemed to be having a great time, more freely moving about the stage, even spending some time clapping and exhorting the audience without his guitar at points. He added to the overall presence of the band and the show, and was a big factor in what made the band's performance so great. It was great fun to see him both holding down the fort for the rhythm section as well as helping to direct and elevate the entire band. It reminded me of Keith Richards' role in the Rolling Stones. Like Stone, Keith mostly plays rhythm and leaves most of the leads to the other guitar player, but it's definitely no "back seat" role. Keith is in charge of the "engine room" that drives the overall sound, and in many ways the "conductor" of the band. He also adds a certain "counterpoint" to Mick's intensity, marching around with a smile on his face, and generally ensuring that everybody's having a good time. And it really seemed that PJ's "Stone" was very much in a Keith Richards role with the band at the O2 and that was both fun to watch, and I think a key component of why the band sounded so good.
    -- Jeff Ament sounded awesome on bass and like Stone also had a wonderful stage presence, seeming even more confident than usual, acting as the lower foundation on which the sound was built. I also loved when Ed had him break out into a driving, funky solo bass section at one point. Because the sound at the O2 was so good, I could really clearly hear his live playing for the first time and it gave me new appreciation for what he adds to the band.
    -- Also because of the sound I could really hear Boom Gaspar's keyboard playing for the first time, and I was also extremely impressed. He sounded especially good on "Love Reign O'er Me", with the important role that keys play in that song.
    -- With all the excitement, I forgot to listen more intently to Matt Cameron's drum playing, but my overall sense was that he was playing with more subtlety and finesse than usual, sounding more "organic" with the band, rather than focusing on pounding a heavy, steady rhythm -- basically taking advantage of the place's better acoustics to add dynamics and subtleties that added to the overall rich complexity, power, and beauty of the sound that night.
    -- All in all an amazing show, and I feel very lucky to have been there. It made my trip to Europe to see them in Berlin and London well worth it.
    -- I captured all of Yellow Ledbetter and the final bows on video and got some decent shots from my close vantage point. The video is a little bouncy due to people moving around so much in the pit but I tried to keep it as steady as I could. Here's a link to the video: http://gallery.me.com/chiefobrien#100164
    Post edited by TumblingDice66 on
  • WOW! Probably the top setlist I have seen. To open with those 10 songs, end first set with Blood, and then have 2 great encores. I hope Philly 3 and 4 are just like this show!
  • i dont know what to say---i got back from london today and i can still hear The Boys....it was the best show i ve ever seen..including other bands (and i ve seen shit loads of bands)...all i can say is a big huge THANK YOU to Pearl Jam for all they did for me..not only the other nite....

ps: the tribute to Michael Jackson was really cool.

keep on rockin in the free world guys..
  • mrs_veddermrs_vedder Posts: 131
    I'm so depressed that they won't be coming back for ages :( I wish I would win the lottery so that I can follow them all over the world :D
  • First time posting on the forum but felt that i had to after the gig at the O2.
    I'd been there once before to see Smashing Pumkins and could not get in to it all but this was something else!
    It's the fifth time i've seen Pearl Jam and before this night Reading was my favourite but i managed to get standing tickets for the O2 and slipped in as close to the front as i could.
    It helped i had been queing for over four hours!
    I could feel the energy before they had even started!
    Release was brilliant to set the mood and give the crowd a chance to stretch their vocal chords but as soon as Animal kicked in everyone jumped and we were away.
    It worked so much better than Wembley because the sound wasn't bouncing all over the place.
    And the atmosphere was one of the best i have experienced.
    I really hope they release it on DVD since they filmed the whole thing for the screens!
    Here's hoping!
    Anyway i can relive that night i will take with open arms!!!!
    Superb!
  • what an amazing show! setlist was fantastic, i like how supersonic sounds, i think footsteps was the higlight for me and was so happy to finally see them do release! i could go on n on about how ace this set was, rats, blood, light years ect! rotterdam was probs the best gig ive ever been to, i really cant decide between this n rotterdam now! THANK YOU PEARL JAM FOR BEING SO AWESOME!
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    There isn't much to say that hasn't already bene said (not that i've actually READ the whole thread, but, you know, i'm sure you've all pretty much covered it ;) ).

YES the setlist was awesome, but that isn't what made the show great for me. They could have played Pilate 28 times in a row (I know for a lot of you that would be a dream setlist...but not me :lol: ) and I would have had a blast purely because of the people I was with. It was them who made the show, and they know who they are.

It was my 11th show and by far the most fun i've ever had at a gig, let alone a PJ one. I would seriously recommend having a relaxed day and then hanging back for a PJ show with some good friends (and the love of your life, if at all possible :oops: ), you will not regret it. :):D:mrgreen:
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • zizzlerzizzler Posts: 4
    This is why it was the best gig ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhuLVp1c5a4

Awesome!
  • I cant put into words my feelings
    thankyou pearl jam and thankyou pearl jam fans/friends
    i,m gonna miss you all,some of us wont meet again :(
    I,m gonna cherish these memories the rest of my life
    London was so good i dont really want to go any more concerts,go out on a high
  • ToobinToobin Posts: 5
    What can I say, best ever, loved every minute of it. Had that horrible end of school holiday feeling when it came to an end .... till the next time :D ..... also have to say, some of the best buch of people I have ever met
  • REDVEDREDVED Posts: 65
    has to have been the best set list for a very long time much better than shepherds bush although it was great to be so close last week. the o2 was an amazing venue with great sound and all in all it was 2 trips to london i will never forget . a very happy irish man :D
  • lilingerlilinger Posts: 475
    At the very end...when it was only Mike who played and went down to the crowd...
    Was that an Italian flag?
    I am forever grateful to this band for giving us their ALL every single night and offering me such a wonderful gift - MUSIC, music that allows me to feel all that I want to feel, music that makes me strong in times of weakness, music that gives me joy in times of sorrow - SammieBlack
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    paulus2112 wrote:
    strummers wrote:

Us too - if you give them a ring they'll post them out to you free of charge!

Do you have the number?

me too, if you have the number, let me know, i'll easily give them a phone. i know it seems silly, but we do like our little souvineers

020 8463 2000

They were really good about it - I was going to get the tube over the next day to pick them up, but they suggested posting them out if it would be easier for me.
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    audiodave wrote:
    There isn't much to say that hasn't already bene said (not that i've actually READ the whole thread, but, you know, i'm sure you've all pretty much covered it ;) ).

YES the setlist was awesome, but that isn't what made the show great for me. They could have played Pilate 28 times in a row (I know for a lot of you that would be a dream setlist...but not me :lol: ) and I would have had a blast purely because of the people I was with. It was them who made the show, and they know who they are.

It was my 11th show and by far the most fun i've ever had at a gig, let alone a PJ one. I would seriously recommend having a relaxed day and then hanging back for a PJ show with some good friends (and the love of your life, if at all possible :oops: ), you will not regret it. :):D:mrgreen:
    Hanging back is definately better. I was right at the front of the manchester show and the crowd was fucking awful. I hung back for London and it was amazing! :mrgreen:

I still can't get over how fucking amazing Light Years was... :D:cry::cry::D
    What the fuck is this world?
  • DRS_PJ1DRS_PJ1 Posts: 39
    Soozy wrote:
    So last Wednesday I randomly checked Ticketmaster when I got home from work and found a standing ticket for the O2, though they were sold out again as soon as I'd bought it. It was clearly meant to be!

Hang on, you got a standing ticket last Wednesday?! What the fuck?!
  • DRS_PJ1DRS_PJ1 Posts: 39
    ilockyer wrote:
    MV46365 wrote:
    To see them play songs like In Hiding, Light Years, Footsteps, Present Tense, Sleight Of Hand, Immortality... absolutely priceless considering 3 years ago I'd never seen them and was expecting a greatest hits set at Reading and was still unsure if I'd be able to go to Dublin.

Oh, wow, did they do In Hiding at Manchester? How did it sound? The high notes on that one are high! Possibly my fave song.
  • Here's a link to video I recorded of the last song, Yellow Ledbetter, and the final bows. I was very close to the front, about 4 feet from the fence (on McCready's side of the stage), so it's a pretty good vantage point. Sorry for the camera moving around a bit at times, but it was pretty crazy up front with people packed in like sardines and everybody bouncing around. I also added a little tribute at the end of the video using still shots from the performance.

http://gallery.me.com/chiefobrien#100164
  • mrs_veddermrs_vedder Posts: 131
    Desperately trying to upload my video of Yellow Ledbetter on Youtube, but it's taking forever :( Anyone know how I can speed it up? It says its going to take 9 hours or something and I never get the chance to have the computer on for that amount of time.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Here's a link to video I recorded of the last song, Yellow Ledbetter, and the final bows. I was very close to the front, about 4 feet from the fence (on McCready's side of the stage), so it's a pretty good vantage point. Sorry for the camera moving around a bit at times, but it was pretty crazy up front with people packed in like sardines and everybody bouncing around. I also added a little tribute at the end of the video using still shots from the performance.

http://gallery.me.com/chiefobrien#100164

Fantastic video. Thanks for posting it. Absolutely love the tribute part at the end :D:D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • my 1st PJ gig. something I needed to do before i die or get too old, but alas this has only further fueled the passion - BLOWN AWAY.

attended with my 16 yr old daughter, flew hundreds of miles, queued for 7 hours- would do it and more to see them again. We were second row, middle - was worried about my girl coping with crush, HA! " shes way taller than me & was schrieking at big blokes pushing in " MInd My F**King Mother ! ", she Rocks !

cried my eyes out at Light years, song means a lot to me and Alive..which at that moment in time we truely utterly completely were.

fantastic to hear ..well everything, but also I got ID, crazy mary, IN my tree... Mike giving my daughter the thumbs up, Eddies piercing blue eyes burning into individuals in the crowd, watching watching. spray of spit,wine & sweat leaping in the spotlights... all too intense to digest Need to see more photos & vids to piece it all together...

feel the love ! WHAT A BAND, WHAT A CROWD, WHAT A NIGHT!