*** London, O2 Arena Fanviews Here 8/18/09 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,011
edited September 2010 in Given To Fly (live)
August 18, 2009 London, UK, O2 Arena
Opening band: Gomez

Set List: Release, Animal, Corduroy, Why Go, Small Town, Immortality, The Fixer, Even Flow, I Got Shit, Rats, Got Some, Whipping, Light Years, Insignificance, Black, Life Wasted, Blood/("Atomic Dog" - Clinton, Shider, Spradley)

1st encore: Supersonic, Hail Hail, Footsteps, Love, Reign O'er Me, Do The Evolution, Alive

2nd encore: Better Man/(Save It For Later), Crazy Mary, Leaving Here, Porch, Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please try to keep the thread for Fanviews....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wozza77wozza77 Posts: 300
    Difficult 2 b objective but I think that was 2 nd best pj gig. The last 8 songs of the main set blew me away. Best I have ever heard eds voice. Awesome
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • I just got back. Absolutely immense!! I personally preferred it to SBE but that's just me. I've been to 4 PJ gigs. In order Astoria - o2 - SBE - Wembley

I'm up for the next 10 mins so if you have any questions let me know quick!!

Oh they premièred at least 2 new songs. One of which was Jazz Odyssey in J Minor.
  • Left PorchLeft Porch Posts: 846
    The setlists for this tour have blown away last summers shows IMO, this band is AWESOME.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Awesome show! Was fortunate enough to see them at Manchester last night and both shows were amazing. Was great to hear Rats live!
    "I Blame Everything On Eddie Vedder"
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    How was supersonic :)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Supersonic: great tune! Part Leavin' Here, part Mankind
  • As I posted in the setlist thread, amazing show!
    Got a look at the setlist during Black from o2 staff (had to take a toilet break after a feast of scoops!!) and on it was LUKIN before Hail Hail and BRAIN OF J before Reign O'er Me. Obviously not played but amazing show anyway!! Will post the photo at another time if anybody wants to see it!
    Also, down for after ledbetter was L.W?
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    Anybody have a pic of the poster?
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • F5F5 Posts: 791
    THIS SETLIST IS SO AMAZING!!!! :o
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Lillou77Lillou77 Posts: 93
    Just got back....what a amazing gig!!!! What a setlist...Eddie was on top form...blew me away completely :)
    At the moment I feel it edged SBE because of the setlist....but that may change in the morning.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    What an amazing show. That may be the best I've ever seen Eddie in the 16 years that I've been going to their shows, he really was on amazing form!

Supersonic sounded great, Mike and Boom's outro to Crazy Mary was intense, Footsteps... the list of highlights goes on and on...

Unbelievable!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Oh man, really want to hear what Supersonic sounds like. Somebody get that up on YouTube. :P
  • StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    Anybody else dig how Stone dirtied up that section of Supersonic.

Great show. Amazing start. I tired out petty quick though - didn't sleep enough after Manchester. Footsteps was immense. Great back-to-back shows. Both better than SBE I feel.
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • wow that setlist is awesome! immortality, rats, insignificance, i got shit, release, animal....

wish i was there
  • Lillou77Lillou77 Posts: 93
    Rats was great :)
  • Opening with Release, overrunning with Porch and a smoke on stage for a fine - SBE was good, this was another level...
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    wow .. so i'm a 17 year old from connecticut and had seen the band 4 times (sig) before tonight. i was fortunate enough to go on a vacation to london/paris and get to see pj for the 5th time tonight (also hittin up the 4 philly shows ;) )!

let me say that this crowd was absolutely INSANE! they blewwww awayyyy the msg crowd even! moshpits and crowd surfing left and right. ed even had to stop about 4 songs in and move everyone back! i swear the crowd could have taken out a fucking army tonight! it was a sight to see for sure.

but more importantly, pj. HOLY SHIT :o ! the band was filled with passion and fury and ripped through quite the amazing setlist. i also want to note .. *Ed's voice was the best i've EVER seen it! right up there if not better then when i saw him solo in nyc!* the acoustics at the O2 were incredible and every single word sung by ed was crystal clear. no joke! the venue was so awesome! fucking huge!

as far as some song/performace highlights, there are many ...

FINALLY saw release open! chills up and down.
    immortality early in the set was out of nowheree but amazing.
    the fixer and got some reaally kicked it live!
    SUPERSONIC! WOW! i know many of you must be super curious! fantastic live tune! the verses and choruses are mainly what you can here on the amazon clip .. BUT let me tell you that the bridge in the song is fucking ridiculous! mike played some crazy ass riff that is nothing like the rest of the song! it just seemed to keep unfolding and i was shitting my pants after each second. fuckin great!
    rats and i got shit were ace! great to see!
    ok, light years was gorgeous. before playing it ed talked about a close friend that he had recently lost. he started to break down and kept fcuking up the intro guitar! he had to stop and step away from the mic! he was majorly breaking down! the band all turned around to him to make sure he was ok to move on. they finally tried again and he pulled together after playing the intro riff many, many times so by the time he went to sing he wasnt crying his eyes out. beautiful performance!
    insignificance, life wasted, and blood were definitely treats! the crowd went APESHIT during blood. i truly dont think people who weren't there could understand the intensity of this crowd. it was almost like the early 90s!
    black = incredibleble
    both encores had TOP NOTCH performances of the classics, as well as some treats. everything just sounded better tonight. ed's voice was out of this world. i couldnt believe it. it was insanity.
    leaving here was so unexpected and great to see! the guitar fills became bass fills! awesome!

pretty much just a fabulous show! london was truly a CRAZY crowd and what a passionate performance by the band! ed gave it his alllllll tonight (so did the others, of course)! now, i'm counting down the days until all 4 nights in philly baby! cannot wait! but i have a train leaving tomorrow to go to paris for 3 nights! then back home again!

peace, everybody! :mrgreen: :!:
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Also, down for after ledbetter was L.W?

Little Wing?
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • CalumCalum Posts: 635
    Great show! Just got home! Supersonic rocks... the bridge in that song is one of the best I have heard in a while!

Eddie was amazing, sounded perfect! Stone played 60% of the fixer without a guitar lol.. tech difficulties!

everything was perfect, wrapped up at like 11:20 2hr & 30mins ! what a great show, they seemed to love it & not want to stop! Jeff "slapped a the bass" on leavin here and I loved it!
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    edited August 2009
    I just remembered, one of the roadies tuned up Ed's ukelele at the start but we didn't get a uke song - what a tease!

Ed asked the crowd to take 3 steps back at one point because he was worried about the pit, that was a really cool touch I thought. He was clearly very emotional tonight, dedicating Light Years to a friend that died yesterday, he messed up the intro and had to take a minute to compose himself before restarting it.

And for those that care about the simpler things, Ed was in shorts tonight and looked fucking cool!
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • yukkayukka Posts: 7
    Just got back myself. My third pj gig after Cardiff 2000 and SBE. I didnt think anything could be better than SBE but the set list tonight was out of this world. Immortality, Black, Rats, I got Shit, Crazy Mary, Porch, Release.. Seriously I could just go on and on..

Ed moved the crowd back after 4 or so songs - was really nice to see him take care of people. He had a ciggie at the end while sat on a monitor watching Mike play out the gig - he was just soaking up the atmosphere. He didnt want to leave either - the lights went up during porch and that means time to stop but they just kept going.

And the best bit - finding they had run out of London 18/08 t-shirts but getting a london 11/08 t-shirt instead :) I didnt get any merch at sbe but now I have the shirt and the o2 poster - good combination.

Now for the bootlegs.. such a good band - next time they come to the uk im going to every gig and i might even fly out to US or elsewhere to see them in the meantime.
  • zizzlerzizzler Posts: 4
    No doubt the best concert i have ever been to!

Great setlist, best of the tour in my opinion, all the old school classics! the set took me back to the 90's big time! Crowd were pumped, it was amazing!

Extended version of Black was superb! Ben intro to Rats, insane moshing during Animal....huge singalong in betterman....footsteps!!!..what a gig!

Ed was in top form and joking around between songs and the band were on top of their game!

Best concert ever! I dont think it can be topped...amazing amazing night!
  • CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    That was my 8th show, and quite possibly the best...
    There was a different vibe from Manchester. Eddie was wild in Manchester, dancing, really into it. Tonight he was a little more mellow, but f*cking intense...Much better performance.

The seltist was perfect, alot of classics, a couple of interesting ones (Footsteps, Hail Hail, Leaving Here)

Mr Stone Gossard, what's happened to him? He's headingbanging, dancing. He's into it. He obviosly had enough of the nerdy look, taking total backstage. Great performance. He really is the oil in the Pearl Jam engine. Just watching, you can see he's keeping everyone in time, and Jeff & Mike really watch him alot.

This show may go down as one of the classics, it had everything. Now where's the boot.
  • lilingerlilinger Posts: 475
    jambayleaf wrote:
    Anybody have a pic of the poster?

2 versions have been released for this nite.

Im posting a pic of mine tomorrow :)
    But rite Im full with every single moment of these great gigs in the last two days...
    I am forever grateful to this band for giving us their ALL every single night and offering me such a wonderful gift - MUSIC, music that allows me to feel all that I want to feel, music that makes me strong in times of weakness, music that gives me joy in times of sorrow - SammieBlack
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    That was one of the best PJ gigs I have ever seen,its close to surpassing Brixton in 93. absolutely brilliant. Rats, Footsteps, Immortality. the gig was genius. absolutely glorious. only one downside. the poster for the gig is rubbish!!!! :D
  • JammittJammitt Posts: 37
    Just got back
    Wow!
    Release, Immortality, Black, Footsteps, Porch...it just got better and better
    Shepherds Bush was a great gig but this was the best gig I have been to...ever!
    Thankyouthankyouthankyou 10C for the best seated tickets I have ever had
    I love you Pearl Jam
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    zizzler wrote:
    Ben intro to Rats

More details???
  • EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    Tonight was my first PJ show, and, well... it was something else, to say the least. So glad I got to see Immortality, I Got Shit and Black. An all round great set really, had an awesome time.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • lilingerlilinger Posts: 475
    I absolutely lost control at the very first moment of Leaving here though the band's never really sure how to play it properly :D They should just keep on practicing ;)
    I am forever grateful to this band for giving us their ALL every single night and offering me such a wonderful gift - MUSIC, music that allows me to feel all that I want to feel, music that makes me strong in times of weakness, music that gives me joy in times of sorrow - SammieBlack
  • yukkayukka Posts: 7
    hostis wrote:
    only one downside. the poster for the gig is rubbish!!!! :D

Yeah its not as good as the one i didnt buy at SBE - would really like one of those from somewhere.. still got tonights just to remind me of the gig.