*** London, O2 Arena Fanviews Here 8/18/09 ***

Comments

• CornishManCornishMan Posts: 447
    Just got back from London. What a show. My 4th time seeing them... i'm not sure it was the best of the 4, but it was damn close.

The band and crowd were really into it, and the acoustics at the O2 were a million times better than Wembley Arena. Great setlist too. Immortality was one of the highlights for me, although it's a shame Ed didn't play the little intro on that song that they've played in recent years (including Wembley 2 years ago). The version of Black was immense too. :)

I'm still on a high! :D
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022, Manchester 2024.
  • yeehareyeehare Posts: 15
    TinyFists wrote:
    paulus2112 wrote:
    TinyFists wrote:
    Anyone else find they can't yet bear to look at the photos/videos that people have posted? Guess my emotions are still too intense right now...

I don't have much to add; I think it's already all been said. Utterly amazing night again.

I think it's good to see what other people have videod, you get to see so much more of what was going on, I missed so much even though I was near the front because I was right on the edge of the crowd on Mike's side, plus sometimes we couldnt see much over the people in front of us...

Oh, I agree with you and I am sure I will at some point! :) I just can't face it yet and wondered if anyone else felt the same!

I have mixed feelings. I need to watch the videos so I can remember how awesome it was, but then I get sad that's it's over. But the overarching feeling is one of being incredibly happy that I was there to see this amazing band play an incredible show!
    London 11 August 2009, London 18 August 2009, Manchester 20 June 2012, EV London 1 August 2012, Chicago Wrigley 19 July 2013, Amsterdam 16 June 2014, Milton Keynes 11 July 2014, NYC 1 May 2016, EV London 6 June 2017, EV London 7 June 2017, Rio de Janeiro 21 March 2018, Amsterdam 12 June 2018, Amsterdam 13 June 2018, London 18 June 2018, Rome 26 June 2018, Berlin 5 July 2018, London 17 July 2018, London 8 July 2022, London 9 July 2022, Vienna 20 July 2022, Amsterdam 24 July 2022, Amsterdam 25 July 2022, Fort Worth 13 September 2023, Fort Worth 15 September 2023.
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Just catching my breath now after what is quite possibly the best PJgig I have ever seen and that includes Dublin 96 :o

I'm not going to repeat what others have said but there has only been 1 song I have nevered seen live that I wished for ...footsteps, yes I did shed a tear when the boys played it!

Like audiodave I have to say standing back and chilling with old and new friends made the experience all the more intense (Dave you are a bit of a legend ;-)). It is the reason I love PJ shows so much, it really is an all encompassing trip (sorry!!).

Thanks to the band, the fans (some of whom I really class as close friends) and the o2 was spot on. Second time there (after led Zeppelin 07) and I love the place!

Like someone else said, because the gigs are pre album release, the band seem to have a lot more freedom when choosing songs...I have got to get this on DVD!!

PJ please come back to Ireland soon do we all have an excuse to meet up and rock out to sets like that!
    I need a coffee!
  • BergfallBergfall Posts: 115
    Being a perpetually confused norwegian trying to master the trickeries of MegaBuzz, London, Manchester.....well, lets just say that I'm really pleased having not lost my girlfriend or my tripple nipple....some ride, some ride.......you guys have already said what's needed regarding the concert.....i concur i concur......pretty tired after confusion-travel from Manchester to London, then the very very friendly tube for an hour (;-))...so for once I managed to keep my cool, not get too drunk, feeling axhausted while nowing that I wouldn't remember my stinkin form, so just kept my eyes on the guys and soaked it all up....soaked quite a bit, actually......I got shit.....Footsteps.....Love, Reign Over Me.......yeah......just need that Not For You now.....well,
    I'm just rambling here....got a hefty fever coming home from England, don't give a shit as long as it had the respect to wait until PJ was properly digested :)

Thanks a lot everyone....so many nice people, chill people, helping people, superb, beautiful people......Nice, but sad to be back in Oslo....hope the whole farewell-concert-vibe didn't signify anything brutal.....need too see PJ & all of you again!

My 2 pence and a lot of love,
    Morten Bergfall
  • Dez10Dez10 Posts: 5
    O2 was truly amazing even for PJ standards - which are always high! Manchester night before was fantastic, but if I had to pick between the 2 I would pick 02 show. Set list blew my mind, opened with Release, that
    was the opening for my first PJ gig in 95! Not ashamed to admit I had tears a few times with all the singles they played! This band better out live me!!!! :) They are the best!Cant get enough
  • simonortonsimonorton Posts: 173
    MB251706 wrote:
    Being a perpetually confused norwegian trying to master the trickeries of MegaBuzz, London, Manchester.....well, lets just say that I'm really pleased having not lost my girlfriend

Would that be a lost girlfriend who made her way to London Bridge with a mobile phone with dead battery and no idea where she was trying to get to and could only ask someone for the names of tube stations on the 'black' line before scurrying off to head back to the one that sounded right ?

Or do many Norwegans loose their girlfriends at Pearl Jam concerts ?! You'll have to be careful, the whole of London could be littered with them !

Either way - glad you found her again and that you had a good time here.
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there ... there's much more than this"

Manchester 92, 09, 12 (x2)
    London 96, 00 (x2), 06, 07, 09, 10
    Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14
  • JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    Been a while since I posted here (10c membership lapsed without me realising!) - It was an amazing night. Highlights for me were Light Years, Rats and Blood. The Love Reign O'er Me cover was beyond words as well.

Here's hoping for a European tour next summer so I can meet up with all of the people I missed on Tuesday :)
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • i saw pearl jam at O2 and was blown away, my first time, amazing, cant wait to see them again!
  • Irish Al wrote:

Like someone else said, because the gigs are pre album release, the band seem to have a lot more freedom when choosing songs...I have got to get this on DVD!!

I just read here...
    http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/sites ... &pTypeId=1
    ...that the Backspacer album is under 30 mins long, if that's the case they will be able to play some great shows on the tour whilst including most of the new tracks.
  • This gig was the best gig ever saw! We were thinking the old 90's were back! The crowd was awesome!
    The energy that camed from the band was so great! What will that give within 10 years? We will be there!

It was an emotional Eddie that we saw in great form! couldn't be better!

For al the ones who weren't there: It was something to not miss again!
    slaapkopje
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    one of the best concert ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    After 24 hours of madness leading up to this, I needed something special. A standard gig wouldn't have done it.

They delivered. Thanks guys. And thanks, friends. See you next time. Hopefully I can see yas before a tour, would always love to visit new places after meeting new people.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Sasha16Sasha16 Posts: 10
    First time i have ever managed to get tickets to see them & OMG i was blown away!

Glad i wasnt the only one with tears in my eyes
  • mrs_veddermrs_vedder Posts: 131
    My video of Yellow Ledbetter

http://www.youtube.com/user/whorehousearizona
  • overrated.
  • I've read some of the reviews and glad to see that it wasn't just me to see Pearl Jam for the first time!
    This had to be one of my best gigs ever (and I go to a lot).
    I could sense the closeness Pearl Jam have as a band as well as to their fans and you could really tell that they were genuinely having a good time up there. The set list was fantastic (my favourite songs were Corduroy, Animal, Light Years, Even Flow & Yellow Ledbetter) and it was really nice to see Ed caring for us at the front by asking fans to take 3 steps back so that we had a little more room, it did get quite moshy but I didn't mind because I was having such a good time. At the end of the evening, I managed to get one of Ed's picks, I'm still chuffed to bits that I have got a souvenir to remind me of that wonderful evening!
    I couldn't help but notice that Pearl Jam have the best die hard fans in the world! Many travelled straight down from the Manchester gig to queue at the O2 and the time before that, they were in Berlin!
    The O2 is generally good at organizing but I was really impressed by the way Pearl Jam fans organized themselves. There was so many people, yet their plan worked out beautifully and above all, very fairly.
    I don't normally go on to forums but I wanted to say thanks to numbers 1 and 2 (you know who you are!), and to the lovely Helen for making me queue up early!
    And , thanks to Pearl Jam for a night I'll never forget! Hope to see you guys really soon! :ugeek:
  • wozza77wozza77 Posts: 300
    overrated.

underated
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • I was just behind 1 & 2 to the right...

what was with the numbers was that the first folks in the box office Queue? We never twigged there would be early queueing so dawdled our way across for 12.30 with no extra sandwiches or inflatable cushions !
  • pearlaaapearlaaa Posts: 39
    omg ive been there!!! second time i saw them but its not enough!!!absolutely the best band in the world!!! Footsteps- incredible!!! love it love them loves every second of the show!!! wish i could see them again as Ed said they're not planning to come back to europe soon, but he said see you again at the end so.. hopefully:-)
    xxx
    Manchester II 2012
    Manchester I 2012
    London Hyde Park 2010
    Belfast 2010
    London O2 2009
    Chorzow 2007
  • fireladie wrote:
    I was just behind 1 & 2 to the right...

what was with the numbers was that the first folks in the box office Queue? We never twigged there would be early queueing so dawdled our way across for 12.30 with no extra sandwiches or inflatable cushions !

We got there about 5ish and only qued for about 30 mins for our ten club tickets, quing really wasn't an issue for us all night!
  • DRS_PJ1DRS_PJ1 Posts: 39
    Soozy wrote:
    DRS_PJ1 wrote:
    Soozy wrote:
    So last Wednesday I randomly checked Ticketmaster when I got home from work and found a standing ticket for the O2, though they were sold out again as soon as I'd bought it. It was clearly meant to be!

Hang on, you got a standing ticket last Wednesday?! What the fuck?!

They must have just released a few extras. I did try at lunchtime, but there was nothing. Just after 5pm I brought up a standing ticket, then a seated one, but the seated one was too far away for my liking, next search brought back nothing at all then tried again right away and got the standing and frantically entered all my details. As I said, I tried again right after buying it and there was nothing at all left. I think some things are just meant to be.

Seems a bit unfair, as I'd twice (O2 Pre-sale and General Sale) gone online at 9am to try for tickets and the best I could get was up in the gods. Hey-ho.
  • DRS_PJ1DRS_PJ1 Posts: 39
    Ed said that they could've been playing the Carnegie Hall the night before and still would've sounded shit. Were they bad in Manchester?!

I think one of the reasons they were so great at the O2 might've been that it was all about the music and the occasion, without the band feeling the need to convey the anti-Bush feeling from recent years.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    DRS_PJ1 wrote:
    Ed said that they could've been playing the Carnegie Hall the night before and still would've sounded shit. Were they bad in Manchester?!

I think one of the reasons they were so great at the O2 might've been that it was all about the music and the occasion, without the band feeling the need to convey the anti-Bush feeling from recent years.

that comment baffled me, they sounded awesome in manchester. wait for the boot. you'll be blown away.

Ed has always been his own biggest critic though
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    DRS_PJ1 wrote:

that comment baffled me, they sounded awesome in manchester. wait for the boot. you'll be blown away.

Ed has always been his own biggest critic though

Ed was wrong, no doubt about it. I thought Black was a bit off in Manchester but the night but generally the set, the band and everything about the gig rocked with big full balls.

I'm not difficult to please as a Pearl Jam fan but I don't wanna read some of the rubbish on these threads any more. The band is about a million miles ahead of most groups out there and yet it still isn't good enough for some people! It's like you get three wishes and wish for three more.

I read someone the other day saying the band weren't play the songs he liked this tour. I counted 57 different songs in the 3 England gigs, what songs exactly is that guy waiting for?!
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    DRS_PJ1 wrote:

As I posted in the MEN thread, I found I agreed with Ed (for me the first time I was disappointed with PJ) up until they hit into RVM (which is prob the best I have ever heard this song live inc boots) and the gig went sharply uphill after this. But as previously pointed out this is all subjective 8-):lol:;)
    I need a coffee!
  • mrs_veddermrs_vedder Posts: 131
    wozza77 wrote:
    overrated.

underated

+1 underated
  • CalumCalum Posts: 635
    anyone have an mp3 or the name of the music the band come out too? that classical stuff?

sorry if its already been discussed.
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    Calum wrote:
    anyone have an mp3 or the name of the music the band come out too? that classical stuff?

sorry if its already been discussed.

Philip Glass - Metamorphosis 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf2YGbTjAGc

:) It's so beautiful.
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • CalumCalum Posts: 635
    thanks very much finnannie
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • DRS_PJ1 wrote:
    Soozy wrote:

Seems a bit unfair, as I'd twice (O2 Pre-sale and General Sale) gone online at 9am to try for tickets and the best I could get was up in the gods. Hey-ho.

Tickets are often released on the day to so called 'sold out' shows, I guess this is to reduce/stop the touts or due to VIP's/Press not showing up. Apparantly there were 5 released for the Shepards Bush gig on the day.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....