*** London, O2 Arena Fanviews Here 8/18/09 ***

Comments

• pjberlinpjberlin Posts: 16
    "The O2 was really huge and I expected it to be a typical souless arena gig but how wrong was I because the fans in the seats were standing the whole time."

.....for most of other concerts i have seen there, the O2 is a souless arena.

Two factors involved - the fans and the band contributing - that was the difference.
    pjberlin
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    philthehip wrote:
    Finally home after an amazing few days. Set list could not have been better for me. Loved every second.

Thanks to Sian of the Dead, what a truely wonderful person you are. Loved meeting all of you at the Dacklands, 5am was late though :D:D:D

Cant wait for the next time. Love to all of us, Pearl Jam fans are the greatest fans.

Good to meet you in the early hours :lol: couldn't get to sleep when I bailed at 3am :roll:

pm'd you on last.fm

Cheers

Dave
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    nuffingman wrote:
    I remember when the press loved to slag off the boys. Now another good review.
    Mind you if you witnessed last night and slated it you'd have to be a knob.

http://news.qthemusic.com/2009/08/live_ ... the_o.html
    Interesting review...
    A thoroughly impressive two and a half hour long display of power comes to a customary end with Yellow Ledbetter. The house lights are already on when the song reaches it's first chorus, but everybody knows all the words, and everyone, hopefully, is satisfied.
    I never knew there were words to Yellow Ledbetter!
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    UKDave wrote:
    philthehip wrote:
    Finally home after an amazing few days. Set list could not have been better for me. Loved every second.

Thanks to Sian of the Dead, what a truely wonderful person you are. Loved meeting all of you at the Dacklands, 5am was late though :D:D:D

Cant wait for the next time. Love to all of us, Pearl Jam fans are the greatest fans.

Good to meet you in the early hours :lol: couldn't get to sleep when I bailed at 3am :roll:

pm'd you on last.fm

Cheers

Dave
    You lasted longer than us :oops: Think it was about 2 when we went to bed :roll: It was Dunks 3rd night on the trot!! The man must be made of steel!! :shock:
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    UKDave wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

pm'd you on last.fm

Cheers

Dave
    You lasted longer than us :oops: Think it was about 2 when we went to bed :roll: It was Dunks 3rd night on the trot!! The man must be made of steel!! :shock:

It was a vain attempt to get some sleep before driving back... didn't work... was up at eight, downing coffee :shock:

Catch you all soon ;)
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • so just want to say how great last night was. talking to couple people before all predicting openers, i said id love release, but expecting hard to imagine. when those first few notes started it felt incredible, the one song ive been wanting to hear for years :D and if that wasnt enough, immortality is always great. footsteps was amazing. ed trying to play michael jackson was pretty funny. hail hail in encore...hella rockin'. light years was special, another i never thought id hear. leaving here kinda came out of nowhere, good to see it return. and of course the premier of supersonic, great straight forward rocking song, even more excited for backspacer. this had to be my favourite time ive seen the boys, great performance of some of my favourite songs. including manchester and shepherds bush, its been an incredible past few days, thanks pearl jam
  • My first PJ gig ever (not for the want of trying) and I have to say that was pretty much one of if not the best gig I've ever been to!
    They left me choked up so many times throughout the show, they really owned the O2.
    I saw NiN there about a month ago and came back thinking it was a bit of a cold soulless shed, but PJ really made it feel like it could've been the smallest most personal gig, even right at the back!!!
    :D
    So frustrating they're not in europe for a while, I really need my second fix!
  • StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    I feel I need to apologise to Mel and Christian for totally forgetting our deal. You ended up better off than me anyway but I just totally forgot when you arrived. Have a great time in the greatest city in the world (in my totally unbiased opinion ;) )
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • j-bugj-bug Posts: 272
    i have just got back after 17 hours of pure hell.the only thing that has kept me going was still being able to hear the crowd singing along in my head! :lol:

thanks to Chris for buying my spare ticket,sorry to the lad next to me i kept bumping into,and the people the other side i knocked into when i thought i'd left my t-shirts behind.

i didnt sit down the whole night.it was my first gig,and i was really worried about the size of the crowd.i dont like crowded places at all.but everyone was pretty mellow and that helped hugely.

Footsteps was great.people where stood there for a few minutes trying to figure out if it was Times Of Trouble or Footsteps,and when Eddie started singing i swear my stomach hit the ground.Love Rain O'er me was absoloutly stunning.its my favorite Who song,and the boys did it damn well.just everything was spot on.anytime i thought "i'd love to hear this next" they'd play it.it was like they where mind readers lol!

i am to tird to think what else,and most things have probably been covered.
    Seek,
    Find be yourself.
    Don't follow the herd.
    Don't repeat in spite of the encores.
    Be yourself.
    Otherwise you'll bore us.
  • Just got home from where I stayed in the big smoke. I listened to Light Years on the train and was choking back a few tears thinking about last night. Ed was really struggling there but it made an already beautiful song even more poigniant and fragile.

Other than that, I'd just like to say:

bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay...

what a fucking legend that man is!
    we're all going to the same place...
  • j-bugj-bug Posts: 272
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Seek,
    Find be yourself.
    Don't follow the herd.
    Don't repeat in spite of the encores.
    Be yourself.
    Otherwise you'll bore us.
  • kazmokazmo Posts: 99
    Just got home from where I stayed in the big smoke. I listened to Light Years on the train and was choking back a few tears thinking about last night. Ed was really struggling there but it made an already beautiful song even more poigniant and fragile.

Other than that, I'd just like to say:

bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay...

what a fucking legend that man is!

+1! I don't think I've ever laughed so much or been near tears at a concert before! Absolutely mind blowing, was my sister's first PJ show last night and what a show it was :D Looks like I'll be travelling next year if that was the last Europe show for a while...
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Light Years was heart wrenching, but I have to say I choked back tears all through Footsteps.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    I fucking cried my eyes out during Light Years.

Amazing show. Truly fucking amazing.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Don't know if this has been posted yet:

http://www.glasswerk.co.uk/news/nationa ... +Promoters

PEARL JAM held an on-stage protest as bosses of a London venue tried to force them off stage.

The rockers came on 15 minutes late for their gig at the O2 Arena last night and played right up to the 11pm curfew.

But they decided to keep playing after their third encore, as frontman Eddie Vedder told the crowd: "We usually finish after this song - but not tonight!"

They kept playing for a further 20 minutes, but when venue organisers trying to get them to leave the stage, Vedder sat down cross-legged in the middle clutching his microphone until his bandmates grabbed their instruments and joined him for one more tune.

The group is also facing a fine of up to £2,500 after Vedder openly smoked cigarettes on stage, flouting the smoking ban.

Those naughty boys!
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I'm posting some videos on youtube from the show.
    Here's a part of corduroy:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JulienTUBEL ... 7DKj1R9eHQ

Here's a part of "the fixer" with Stone "dancing" waiting for his guitar to be changed:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JulienTUBEL ... DTewGB5yWw
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    just to add to my previous post...

Light Years almost made me cry... it was so beautiful... :P

and of course the fact that I got to hear Release as a opener song and to hear Immortality again (last heard it in Hartfod... ohh... well I was (am) in heaven. :)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • so just want to say how great last night was. talking to couple people before all predicting openers, i said id love release, but expecting hard to imagine. when those first few notes started it felt incredible, the one song ive been wanting to hear for years :D and if that wasnt enough, immortality is always great. footsteps was amazing. ed trying to play michael jackson was pretty funny. hail hail in encore...hella rockin'. light years was special, another i never thought id hear. leaving here kinda came out of nowhere, good to see it return. and of course the premier of supersonic, great straight forward rocking song, even more excited for backspacer. this had to be my favourite time ive seen the boys, great performance of some of my favourite songs. including manchester and shepherds bush, its been an incredible past few days, thanks pearl jam

Hey dude, i think i may have been with you predicting the openers. I had a Black Crowes shirt and i turned around to you as soon as release started...
    2009 - Shephards Bush, Manchester, London
    2010 - Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
    2012 - Manchester 1+2, Berlin 1+2, Stockholm, Oslo
    2014 - Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    Who designed the poster? It said something at the bottom and it definately wasn't Ames or Klausen's names.
    StoneAment wrote:
    I feel I need to apologise to Mel and Christian for totally forgetting our deal. You ended up better off than me anyway but I just totally forgot when you arrived. Have a great time in the greatest city in the world (in my totally unbiased opinion ;) )
    I met those two at manchester and london! Awesome people! Are they forum goers by any chance? It would be cool to get a message to them or something.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    and here's a part of "even flow"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcABXpZIjvY
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    nuffingman wrote:
    Glad you enjoyed it. Can't believe how many overseas fans there were last night. Outside it was a mass of foreign languages... excellent! How many other bands have this kind of support.

Are you the guy that asked me for a light about 4pm? He was from Istanbul too.

I'm not sure I don't think so...I was there with my friend from Istanbul but we didn't get to the venue until 6:30.
    finnannie wrote:

and of course the fact that I got to hear Release as a opener song and to hear Immortality again (last heard it in Hartfod... ohh... well I was (am) in heaven. :)
    You didnt happen to be on the computer this morning at the travelodge did you?
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    facepollution - I am surprised anybody here wants to know more about this news
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Wow... just wow. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Manchester was great but London was just fucking incredible. The set was unbelievable, the atmosphere was immense and the boys were on fine, fine form. :mrgreen:
    DB230137 wrote:
    A mention also of the girl standing next me who burst into tears when betterman started. It was really moving, not something I've really witness before- tears of pure joy or pain I dont know. but it really shows the power of this band and how much they mean people.

I have a feeling that this was me :oops:

The set was surprising me with every song and just when I thought it couldn't get any better at the end of the first encore, I turned to Dave and said "I'm not gonna get Better Man am I? Nevermind, Rats, Footsteps and Supersonic MORE than made up for it! :D " and then Better Man kicked in... I couldn't contain it. I screamed like a child and sobbed so hard that my friends around had to console me. It's always been my favourite song let alone PJ song so seeing it live again just overwhelmed me. Quite easily the highlight of my tour :)

It was great to see so many familiar friends faces on the big screens (Nice one Ems! ;) ) and to spend the show hanging at the back with great people having the times of our lives. This show was easily my favourite live show i've ever been to. I want to say thank you to the band for giving it their all, thank you to the fans for making the atmosphere so good and thank you to my friends for being my friends. You know who you are ;)

Dr. Emmett Brown - I'm so sorry for you loss, I had no idea and I'm sorry you couldn't find us again after the show. Text sent.

This show has made me absolutely speechless. A seriously awesome time was had. Thank you Pearl Jam.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    Murderers. wrote:
    finnannie wrote:

You didnt happen to be on the computer this morning at the travelodge did you?

yeah.. I was there... :lol:
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    Another stunning evening. Personally thought Manchester edged it, but things don't get any better than those two shows

Immense

now for the post tour blues

Hey dude, i think i may have been with you predicting the openers. I had a Black Crowes shirt and i turned around to you as soon as release started...

haha, yes that was me!! :D man, i love release, set the evening for a perfect show
  • SoozySoozy Posts: 13
    Wow what an amazing night. It was my 5th time seeing them (Vancouver 05, Reading 06, Wembley 07, SBE) and it might well be my favourite - definitely the best London show I've seen. Certainly one of the very best shows I've seen by anyone for a long time.

I wasn't even planning to go. I found the Wembley show disappointing and even let my 10C membership lapse. I though I didn't want to see them in an arena again, but was lucky enough to get a ticket to SBE which was a really great experience (I was front row of the 2nd balcony) but the set list didn't quite do it for me. So last Wednesday I randomly checked Ticketmaster when I got home from work and found a standing ticket for the O2, though they were sold out again as soon as I'd bought it. It was clearly meant to be!

I'm not sure I have the words to express how great last night was. The energy was amazing and just didn't stop, even with the slow songs it just mutated into a different kind of intensity. I can't believe how good the sound was - I was expecting Wembley-like fuzziness but it was just as clear as at SBE and once again the crowd singing was amazing. I think the highlights for me were Love Reign O'er Me, Insignificance and Crazy Mary. One of the best nights i've had in a very long time.

I just wish I had more holiday left to take a trip to North America and do it all over again.
  • djlewisdjlewis Posts: 23
    Just the best gig I've ever been to!! Saw ACDC and Bruce Sprinsgsteen this summer in Glasgow, but London last night was just mindblowing!! I had to leave early to catch my bus to Glasgow which left at 11.45pm to get me back for work today, but even still, it was amazing. I was at Manchester monday night as well, drove there and back from Glasgow....I have travelled over 1000 miles in 2 days to see Pearl Jam.....man I wish they would come to Scotland....but the London was amazing.

Release just got the whole place going and I think the new songs are awesome. I am happy to have heard s many PJ songs in the last 2 days....Leash at Manchester! Wooft!

Thaniks Pearl Jam, best band ever
  • simonortonsimonorton Posts: 173
    edited August 2009
    Still no Breath - can NOT believe it ! - but how could you complain after last night. Ninth PJ and easily the best - what a set list.

I felt like I'd fallen a little bit out of love after Monday night. There didn't seem to be the connection, the energy on stage and I left deflated and disappointed ... really didn't think it was up to much. But then last night came ... phew ! My heart's been won again ! It's all already been said here ... except to add that Ed said himself that they could've been playing Carnegie Hall on Monday night and they'd have still sounded crap. Good to know it wasn't just me ...

I put a little clip of Ed during Alive at MEN on You Tube ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jhRlRNnps

****NORWAY GIRL**** ... you had lost your friends and asked me for help at London Bridge ... did you get back to Canada Water, meet up ok ?
    Post edited by simonorton on
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there ... there's much more than this"

Manchester 92, 09, 12 (x2)
    London 96, 00 (x2), 06, 07, 09, 10
    Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14