*** London, O2 Arena Fanviews Here 8/18/09 ***

Comments

• Firstly I would just like to say how nice it was to meet some of you from here, and thank you for the badge. I came back to have a look for you once my friends were set, but you were no longer there as I figured.

Was an amazing night, and one that will always hold a special significance for me - during Insignificance I got a text from my mum to let me know my granddad had passed away (he'd been terminally ill for a long time and we'd all accepted what was coming a few weeks ago when he went into hospital for the last time). Then Black came on and I burst into tears. If any of the people that consoled me, picked me up and got me going again post on here, then thank you so much.

And in the what songs would you like to hear thread, I'd said I wanted to hear Immortality, Rats (sorry to anyone who had to witness me removing my Rats t-shirt and holding it above my head in this) and Leaving Here - and I got all three!

Was it as good as SBE? I don't know, they each have a different meaning for me, but last night is up there with the best gigs I've seen and it's one I'll never forget
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    edited August 2009
    truly awesome show, im sure this one will go down as a classic, this show had it all..
    great songs, humour, passion, great solos, real emotion, mistakes, ed forgettin the words, band not wanting to stop, new songs, classics, jams, crowd going crazy..amazing setlist
    so many highlights, for me release, light years and i got shit were truly special...
    fuck release almost brought me to tears, PJ THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post edited by redeye on
  • Rats was a tribute to Michael Jackson as he was scheduled to do 50 shows at the o2 before he passed. What a night!
    amongstthewav.es
    2006 - Leeds Festival
    2007 - London
    2009 - Manchester / London
    2010 - Berlin
    2012 - Manchester I / Manchester II / EV Manchester
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Great setlist! Loved the show, easily as good as Manchester the night before and Dusseldorf '07... so I guess that's my top 3 shows (maybe). Not having an album to promote has really freed up the setlist! The first few songs were a bit of a greatest hits set, but once Immortality hit the show only got better and better. Great crowd where I was too. It seemed like the band were trying to make the show as perfect as possible for the great acoustics, shame Ed slipped up a few times but didn't affect the show for me at all.

Only bad thing is I had to leave near the end of Porch to get my train home, but it's not like I haven't seen YL a million times before :P I was surprised how late the show finished for a venue that only has one accessible tube line and is a real bitch to get to any of the main train stations (well, other than Waterloo).
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I guess the guys took all the bitching and moaning about SBE to heart, cause last night has to be amongst the best setlists they've ever played! Unquestionably the best show I've ever been to, that setlist was just unbelievable. My personal highlights were: Release, Immortality, I Got ID, Rats (the ending was a hair raiser, hearing all those people sing the Ben... part), Light Years, Black (finally got to hear it again), Hail Hail and Footsteps. I finally feel like we got one of those shows. The kind of show that people will talk about for years to come.
  • Amazing show... just woke up, my legs and voice are gone...

Eddie's voice was unreal, setlist was greater than great, crowd was fabolous. Footsteps, Rats and Immortality absolutly blew me way.

See ya all in Philly :)
    Severed Hand
  • Adam SzAdam Sz Posts: 9
    oh what a show that was!!

For me this was so much better than SBE but comparing shows in such different venues is not really fair; o2 arena is just sooooo huge and brilliant and PJ are a band that requires this huge sound to enjoy the show and f*** yeah it was loud crisp and awesome!! Ed's singing was amazing and the rest of the guys, top form!!

Jeff rocked so cool, his new pretty Thunhderbird bass kicked into Rats with most phat funked up groove you can imagine and his licks in the Leaving Here intervals were priceless, I so want a boot of this show!! Mike as hot as ever, even more so, with running, jumping and a solo battle with Boom in Crazy Mary was epic. Stone dancing and clapping, so nice to see them liking the stuff they do, and Matt - drumming that makes one speechless really ...

Warsaw 96, Wembley 07, SBE 09 and now o2 Arena 18/08/09 - super cool venue with mega sound made this one of the best show of my life [warsaw 96 is outta comparison stand-offs as I was a teen then and it was straight after No Code, very different times...]

PJ needs to come back to Europe for a proper Backspacer promo tour, pretty please ...
  • sinhalasinhala Posts: 1
    First time seeing the band live. Was Eddie drunk - what was he drinking - does he always drink during shows ? Great show - up there with the best !
  • PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    edited August 2009
    I want to say thanks to all the cool people I met and chatted with in line all day - Oscar, Nathan, Charles. I was sitting with someone too, right until PJ came on, from Sweden - happy you got Footsteps man!
    Post edited by Plankton on
  • I fucking love this band.

Three shows this week and each once was different and I wouldn't like to say one was better or worse. London was so tight, the band were playing so well. Highlight? The whole show, the whole week in fact. Thanks Pearl Jam, thanks to everyone we met and see you next year (hopefully) when they tour again.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    sinhala wrote:
    First time seeing the band live. Was Eddie drunk - what was he drinking - does he always drink during shows ? Great show - up there with the best !

Sorry, your post made me laugh. I had to check your join date :lol::lol::lol:

I wasn't there but I'm guessing that yes, Ed was drunk :? I'm also guessing he was at some point drinking wine ;) and finally, yes, he always drinks during shows :shock: :lol::lol: :ugeek:

I'm not making fun of you, your question just surprised me and I had to comment. Welcome to the board :D:D:D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    edited August 2009
    sinhala wrote:
    I don't think he was drunk (at least, it didn't seem noticable). He always drinks from the wine bottle, but there's a rumour he doesn't always put wine in the bottle. So he may or may not have been drinking wine last night. He shares wine with the crowd during Crazy Mary, but a lot of the time he has a bottle for himself and a bottle for the crowd, so can't tell what's in his bottle.
    Post edited by Pauk on
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • lilingerlilinger Posts: 475
    icemanap wrote:
    Black was the best I have ever heard it,

You should try 26/09/06 Vienna....
    The crowd was amazing...not to mention Eddie...
    And I was just crying...
    I am forever grateful to this band for giving us their ALL every single night and offering me such a wonderful gift - MUSIC, music that allows me to feel all that I want to feel, music that makes me strong in times of weakness, music that gives me joy in times of sorrow - SammieBlack
  • Lillou77Lillou77 Posts: 93
    sinhala wrote:

I wasn't there but I'm guessing that yes, Ed was drunk :? I'm also guessing he was at some point drinking wine ;) and finally, yes, he always drinks during shows :shock: :lol::lol: :ugeek:

I'm not making fun of you, your question just surprised me and I had to comment. Welcome to the board :D:D:D

He shared his wine with some people in the front row after Crazy Mary :D:D:D
  • Alive 79Alive 79 Posts: 100
    Lillou77 wrote:
    sinhala wrote:

He shared his wine with some people in the front row after Crazy Mary :D:D:D

I missed that bottle of wine by inches! If I'd got it, it would have bee straight down my pants, no-one would get near it! What an awesome night, amazing setlist and the boys were on top form. Best I've seen yet and I was so close to the front.

Definitely made up for not getting to Shepherds Bush
    Underneath this smile lies everything........... all my hopes, anger, pride and shame
  • Last night was truly amazing! I've NEVER seen such a powerful and emotional performance from anyone in my life. Seats right next to stage. Awesome. Thanks TenClub
  • First time i've seen them, been waiting for about 12 years for it, what a concert! Probably the best I've ever been to. Does anyone know if they'll be releasing this as a bootleg?

Cheers
  • pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    What an amazing gig! Absolutely blew SBE out of the water. Personal highlights were I Got Shit, Black, but the absolute best song on the night was Love Reign O'er Me. Ed's voice was so good.
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • wozza77wozza77 Posts: 300
    Has no one mentioned Boom's intro to Love Reign?

Never seen this live before so not sure if the intro is normal, but it totally blew me away
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
    pdh1978 wrote:
    What an amazing gig! Absolutely blew SBE out of the water. Personal highlights were I Got Shit, Black, but the absolute best song on the night was Love Reign O'er Me. Ed's voice was so good.

Yeah Ed's voice was on incredible form throughout the show, I guess he was just warming up at the other shows :lol::D
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 62
    First time i've seen them, been waiting for about 12 years for it, what a concert! Probably the best I've ever been to. Does anyone know if they'll be releasing this as a bootleg?

Cheers

They will - it was too good not to.

As someone on here said earlier - it was one of those gigs that will be spoken of in awe (at least from this soul it will) for years.

Still buzzing...
  • lilingerlilinger Posts: 475
    lilinger wrote:
    jambayleaf wrote:
    Anybody have a pic of the poster?

2 versions have been released for this nite.

Im posting a pic of mine tomorrow :)
    But rite Im full with every single moment of these great gigs in the last two days...

Hmm...just unwrapped mine...and its from SBE :D

The one from yesterday sold out in front of me... :(
    I am forever grateful to this band for giving us their ALL every single night and offering me such a wonderful gift - MUSIC, music that allows me to feel all that I want to feel, music that makes me strong in times of weakness, music that gives me joy in times of sorrow - SammieBlack
  • I hardly ever post here, I lurk a lot, but I just have to say that last night was the most amazing I've ever seen them.

This was my 12th PJ gig and it was absolutely the best. How do they keep on getting better!
    I'll swallow poison, until I grow immune
    I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room!
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,027
    What a fantastic night.

Was on the right hand side of the arena at the very top, I mean VERY top with no more seats behind us. Each band member was about the size of my thumb nail so I wasn't too annoyed about having to give over my camera on entry (well maybe a little). From the roof I got a completely different gig experience to what I'm used to (I guess my days of being down the front have slipped away), witnessing the crowd take those three steps back and then seeing everybody above them, me included, applaud the situation was very moving, Pearl Jam fans are a indeed a rare breed. Also watching Eddie reflect a spotlight off his guitar held above his head and shine the light around the entire stadium was magical, getting hit with that light made even me, all the way up in the sky, feel truly connected to the experience - beyond the music of course. The set list blew my mind, I couldn't pick a favourite (though Black and Crazy Mary were amazing). Seeing Stone and Jeff facing each other locked in a wonderful groove and Mike playing along with Boom just made me incredibly happy. There were some sad moments, Eddie was clearly hurting inside so thanks guys for coming out and living up to the pressure I always put upon you.
    Nature drunk and High
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I was about 20 yards back on Stone's side and I thought it was fuckin' loud.
    My ears are whistling, I've lost my voice through too much singing and my feet hurt from being at the O2 from 3.30.

I don't know whether I'm just getting old.

By the testicles of Titan 'twas an awesome show.

Come back soon.
  • DIrty Franks - I love what you had to say about the concert.. it was my first show I have been able to get to -- been trying since 1992 ($, or some other shit kept it from happening).. at any rate - I have been in the UK for a year now (I am an American) and I finally get to see them in what had to be the best show ever... I am still flying high the next day.

I just wanted to say that your statement about how the show reminded you of old 90's performances... it made me laugh out loud since your just 17... My kids babysitter is 16 and had no clue who PJ was... it made me feel ancient... thanks for not making me feel so old.... :)

wow .. so i'm a 17 year old from connecticut and had seen the band 4 times (sig) before tonight. i was fortunate enough to go on a vacation to london/paris and get to see pj for the 5th time tonight (also hittin up the 4 philly shows ;) )!

let me say that this crowd was absolutely INSANE! they blewwww awayyyy the msg crowd even! moshpits and crowd surfing left and right. ed even had to stop about 4 songs in and move everyone back! i swear the crowd could have taken out a fucking army tonight! it was a sight to see for sure.

but more importantly, pj. HOLY SHIT :o ! the band was filled with passion and fury and ripped through quite the amazing setlist. i also want to note .. *Ed's voice was the best i've EVER seen it! right up there if not better then when i saw him solo in nyc!* the acoustics at the O2 were incredible and every single word sung by ed was crystal clear. no joke! the venue was so awesome! fucking huge!

as far as some song/performace highlights, there are many ...

FINALLY saw release open! chills up and down.
    immortality early in the set was out of nowheree but amazing.
    the fixer and got some reaally kicked it live!
    SUPERSONIC! WOW! i know many of you must be super curious! fantastic live tune! the verses and choruses are mainly what you can here on the amazon clip .. BUT let me tell you that the bridge in the song is fucking ridiculous! mike played some crazy ass riff that is nothing like the rest of the song! it just seemed to keep unfolding and i was shitting my pants after each second. fuckin great!
    rats and i got shit were ace! great to see!
    ok, light years was gorgeous. before playing it ed talked about a close friend that he had recently lost. he started to break down and kept fcuking up the intro guitar! he had to stop and step away from the mic! he was majorly breaking down! the band all turned around to him to make sure he was ok to move on. they finally tried again and he pulled together after playing the intro riff many, many times so by the time he went to sing he wasnt crying his eyes out. beautiful performance!
    insignificance, life wasted, and blood were definitely treats! the crowd went APESHIT during blood. i truly dont think people who weren't there could understand the intensity of this crowd. it was almost like the early 90s!
    black = incredibleble
    both encores had TOP NOTCH performances of the classics, as well as some treats. everything just sounded better tonight. ed's voice was out of this world. i couldnt believe it. it was insanity.
    leaving here was so unexpected and great to see! the guitar fills became bass fills! awesome!

pretty much just a fabulous show! london was truly a CRAZY crowd and what a passionate performance by the band! ed gave it his alllllll tonight (so did the others, of course)! now, i'm counting down the days until all 4 nights in philly baby! cannot wait! but i have a train leaving tomorrow to go to paris for 3 nights! then back home again!

peace, everybody! :mrgreen: :!:
    And how about the sound at the O2?! Absolutely amazing, it almost made up for the exorbitantly priced beer! I hope they never play Wembley ever again!
  • Lillou77Lillou77 Posts: 93
    And how about the sound at the O2?! Absolutely amazing, it almost made up for the exorbitantly priced beer! I hope they never play Wembley ever again!

I love the O2 for such a big venue they have managed to make the sound great!

I am on such a high today...but also really emotional...damn I love Pearl Jam :D:D:D
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Agreed! 100%.
    The crowd was so much better than Wembley 07.
  • Amazing show, brilliant night - O2 is such a great venue, back home by car 74 miles in under an hour from the gig ending!"

This was my first PJ gig, been trying to get tickets for every show since the early 90s, didn't disappoint and really made up for the wait!

I used to say Pink Floyd at Earls Court in 1994 was the best concert I'd been to but I think this tops it.

What a set list, there's always gonna be tunes I wish they'd played - it would take a four hour gig to satisfy I reckon, but they played 'Footsteps' 'Release' 'Crazy Mary' and 'Rats' - Ed's tribute to MJ "A man who should have played here if he hadn't done what he did" - Every song was superb, Pearl Jam are the greatest fuckin band in the world...

I can understand why people folow them around the world, respect guys - I wish I could do that too!

Check out these vids from the night, I took with my phone so not great quality - we were pretty near the front and the sound is ok.

Alive - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52w0JSeU2Cg
    Rats - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncmIBgTS8v4
    Crazy Mary - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqEZUSbNPM