Options

__ORGAN DONATIONs SAVE LIVES___

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Hello everyone!
    Just a quick update,
    alot of people have been emailing/messaging me,
    so i thought it prudent to post an update.

First , I returned back to work on October 14th.
    They originally told me I'd be out about 3 months, turned out to be 7 .
    Was a little rough at first,
    but once I got back on my sleep schedule,
    the job itself was like riding a bicycle.
    I'm back in the groove , going strong.

I had to go back to Columbia this week for anothert ultreasound of my new Kidney.
    They think that perhaps during the transfer during transplant,
    the kidney may have suffered a little ischemia ( lack of blood )
    so my new renal artery may have gotten " kinked" or " dented " ,
    causing accelerated blood flow velocity coming out of the kidney .
    As a result, this can actually affect kidney function as well as high blood pressure.
    I may need to have some further surgical intervention,..balloons are pulled thru the artery, just to open it up and make it more lucent.(clear)

The most recent bloodwork showed good levels, ( creatinine is still at 1.5 )
    so much of this speculation is purely preventive and prophylactic.

We have also began the process of Pancreas Transplant
    ( and a life without type 1 Diabetes) for the first time since I was age 5 !
    I will be going soon for a Echo Stress test,
    the first of many preliminary tests that need to be completed
    before another Transplant. I'm guessing within a year ,
    I will have a new pancreas.

We'll see how it all goes, & I'll keep you all posted.

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement and positive reinforcement.
    I really appreciate it all .

Peace !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    My kidney is doing fine. The creatine is steady at 1.5.
    I've been back to work- fulltime-
    since Oct 14 , 2011 .

I am now under the current active status on the Pancreas list.
    For my blood type ( A ),
    I am the very top of the list.
    They can call me 24 / 7 now at this point.

More to follow.
    :)
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    oh and for my Pancreas , I am NOT working thru UNOS.
    My new Pancreas will come from a pool of local NYC area people.

When I say I am number 1 on the list,
    it is not the UNOS list, it is the list for Columbia-Presbyterian.

I've had numerous inquiries about this so i thought it prudent to add this.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    UPDATE:

I had a Pancreas transplant, but unfortunately my body rejected the pancreas.
    They gave me so much morphine based medicine that it threw me into what they call a
    PEA ( pulseless electrical activity ) episode.(( aka electromechanical dissociation-- a cardiac event))

Needless to say I was re- hospitalized for almost 4 weeks, and I lost 30 lbs. ( mostly muscle mass )

I'm still on the list for a new Pancreas, but I have to do some deep soul searching to see if I will go thru all of this again.

I'm presently home trying to recuperate from all of this.
    I appreciate all of the well wihes from everyone.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    damn andrew i'm sorry to hear that...hang in there and get better...we're here if you need us
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,781
    I was wondering why you haven't been around. I'm really sorry to hear this. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts.

I expect to see you in Philly when PJ comes back, hopefully in the fall.

Take care.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    i'm so sorry, andrew. i understand how much you wanted it. really wished it had worked out for you....

know what it's like to have your hopes up of receiving a new pancreas and things not turning out. although not to the extent of getting the pancreas transplant and it being unsuccessful...along with the pain & frustration of what you've been through

healing thoughts that you're feeling much better soon...

(sendng pm)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    So sorry to hear this. It was funny I was thinking that I hadn't seen you on fb for a while. I'd got quite fond of your trips to the supermarket etc.

I hope you recover physically quickly. Don't dismiss another transplant just yet, give it some time before you decide.

Anyway, sending you some positivie energy accross the sea.
  • Options
    many thanks everyone. I appreciate it.
    everyday gets a little bit better.
    will keep you all posted also.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,323
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    UPDATE:

I had a Pancreas transplant, but unfortunately my body rejected the pancreas.
    They gave me so much morphine based medicine that it threw me into what they call a
    PEA ( pulseless electrical activity ) episode.(( aka electromechanical dissociation-- a cardiac event))

Needless to say I was re- hospitalized for almost 4 weeks, and I lost 30 lbs. ( mostly muscle mass )

I'm still on the list for a new Pancreas, but I have to do some deep soul searching to see if I will go thru all of this again.

I'm presently home trying to recuperate from all of this.
    I appreciate all of the well wishes from everyone.

Bath,
    Sorry to hear of your setback. I too am having my first rejection. After 11 months, my liver biopsy came back with rejection. I'm going to NYPH today for my second steroid infusion. If my condition and symptoms don't clear up, they'll need to go in surgically and redo my venacava and check to make sure everything else is still intact.
    How 's the kidney doing? Hope that's fine.
    I continue to think of you and hope things turn for the better, which I'm sure they will.
    Best always,
    ED
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,323
    edited July 2012
    Hope everyone is signing up to be a donor. Now more than ever organs are needed.
    Post edited by HollisBrown on
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    Happy to hear you're doing well Bathgate :thumbup:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Hey everybody

My kidney is doing great holding a steady 1.5-1.6 creatnine level,
    and I can pee now ! Most importantly, no more dialysis.

My recovery from the failed pancreas transplant is going slowly, but surely.
    Any infection is long gone and my incisions ,alltho concealed , have all healed up niicely.

I will maintain my 'spot' on the new pancreas list,
    and if and when I become 'ready' to try
    it all over again, i'll jump on the chance.

This summer was great ,
    where I got to see Pearl Jam in Philly,
    and went to see Springsteen 2 x .

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts and prayers.

I hope everyoe out there will consider organ donations
    and impact someone elses life in a major way.

All the best
    :thumbup:
    Andrew
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,581
    Just read this entire thread..........wow :shock: I'm glad to hear you seem to be doing good, hope you can get pancreas transplant soon.

I have been signed up since I got my driver's licience to donate my organs :D
    A buddy of mine died suddenly when I was 16 and he had donated his organs (it is because of him why I decided to donate) I had heard his lungs and eyes were definately given to someone who needed them and all things had worked out. Never sure about the other organs

Best wishes :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    This is also my first time ever seeing this thread, not sure how it's eluded me all this time. I'm so sorry for all you've been going through, but it's wonderful to hear that everything is going well right now. I am a registered organ donor and pray that they are healthy enough to be used when I kick the bucket. Sending my very best to you!
    Jamie
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    This is also my first time ever seeing this thread, not sure how it's eluded me all this time. I'm so sorry for all you've been going through, but it's wonderful to hear that everything is going well right now. I am a registered organ donor and pray that they are healthy enough to be used when I kick the bucket. Sending my very best to you!
    Jamie

thanks jamie. black35.

Pearl Jam fan community is tops!
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    this is an awesome story
    KROQ’s Bean On “Why I Am Giving Up A Kidney”

I’m going to be away from the Kevin & Bean show a few days here and there over the next two weeks as I prepare for and recover from a surgery to have one of my kidneys removed.

I am donating it to a friend of mine, and maybe one of yours if you are a long time KROQ fan, named Scott Mason. Scott has worked for the station for a very long time, at one time as a DJ and programmer, and in recent years as the head of engineering.

Scott has had medical issues for much of his adult life, including his kidneys failing, and that led him to have a transplant from a cadaver back in 1999. Well, now that one has failed too and Scott is back on dialysis for many hours a week. The kidney processes waste out of the blood and without one your body is being poisoned all the time. The dialysis helps but is a temporary solution. You only get off the machine if you get a new kidney or you die.

You may know I live in Seattle and do the Kevin & Bean show from my house. Scott visits once a year to do maintenance and upgrades on my studio equipment and it was during his most recent visit last spring that I noticed how unwell he looked.

He explained his situation and that he was about six years out on the waiting list for a new kidney. That was inconceivable to me, to imagine that all over America there are people like Scott, who are very sick and might die, waiting for organs at the same time that literally of thousands of them are being buried every year.

If nothing else, I hope everyone reading this will double check that their wishes are known and that they will make their liver, lungs, eyes and whatever else can be harvested after their death to help another human. (Here is one resource for more information on that)

On November 13th, I will become a living kidney donor, (I hope!) Despite all the jokes from the guys on the air over the years about my lack of exercise (okay, it’s true) I have always been in excellent health. I don’t drink or smoke or eat meat. My blood pressure and pulse are excellent and I am young enough to contribute a very healthy working kidney that should last more than 15 years in Scott.

This decision was a no-brainer for me. The disruption in my life should be minimal. There will be some discomfort for a few weeks after surgery but after that my life should go on almost exactly as before. One of the things I’ve learned is that we have two kidneys and when one is removed the other one steps up and works harder so that instead of the expected 50% remaining function I should have about 80%. Scott will go from nearly 0% to that same 80% and that will improve his quality of life dramatically.

I have every confidence in the surgical and recovery team at Cedar Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. They have been wonderful in educating me about organ donation and preparing me for what is ahead. They are available for anyone to contact for more information at Cedars-Sinai’s Kidney Donor site.

We’ll be talking about this on the air this morning on the Kevin and Bean show for the first time and in the days to come as we get closer to the surgery date. If you are lucky enough to be healthy I hope you will consider sharing your good fortune with others, whether that means donating blood (literally the least you can do to save a life), being on the bone marrow transplant registry , or volunteering to be an organ donor.

Thank you.

-Bean
    http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2012/11/01/kro ... -a-kidney/
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Geez. I never saw this thread either. My Dad who passed away in January 2011 was a two time kidney transplant receipient. The first one he had only survived for a little under a year but his second one gave us almost 22 years before he succumbed to a weak heart. Of course there were bumps in the road over the 22 years but I can't say enough about modern medicine. :D

TO those who aren't signed up as organ donors please consider doing so. I realize some people have their beliefs but it truly could be your greatest gift of your life for someone else.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Geez. I never saw this thread either. My Dad who passed away in January 2011 was a two time kidney transplant receipient. The first one he had only survived for a little under a year but his second one gave us almost 22 years before he succumbed to a weak heart. Of course there were bumps in the road over the 22 years but I can't say enough about modern medicine. :D

TO those who aren't signed up as organ donors please consider doing so. I realize some people have their beliefs but it truly could be your greatest gift of your life for someone else.
    :wave:

Sorry to hear about your Dad man,
    I know those extra years and time with your family
    addded to the quality of his life.

norm wrote:
    this is an awesome story
    KROQ’s Bean On “Why I Am Giving Up A Kidney”

I’m going to be away from the Kevin & Bean show a few days here and there over the next two weeks as I prepare for and recover from a surgery to have one of my kidneys removed.

I am donating it to a friend of mine, and maybe one of yours if you are a long time KROQ fan, named Scott Mason. Scott has worked for the station for a very long time, at one time as a DJ and programmer, and in recent years as the head of engineering.

Scott has had medical issues for much of his adult life, including his kidneys failing, and that led him to have a transplant from a cadaver back in 1999. Well, now that one has failed too and Scott is back on dialysis for many hours a week. The kidney processes waste out of the blood and without one your body is being poisoned all the time. The dialysis helps but is a temporary solution. You only get off the machine if you get a new kidney or you die.

You may know I live in Seattle and do the Kevin & Bean show from my house. Scott visits once a year to do maintenance and upgrades on my studio equipment and it was during his most recent visit last spring that I noticed how unwell he looked.

He explained his situation and that he was about six years out on the waiting list for a new kidney. That was inconceivable to me, to imagine that all over America there are people like Scott, who are very sick and might die, waiting for organs at the same time that literally of thousands of them are being buried every year.

If nothing else, I hope everyone reading this will double check that their wishes are known and that they will make their liver, lungs, eyes and whatever else can be harvested after their death to help another human. (Here is one resource for more information on that)

On November 13th, I will become a living kidney donor, (I hope!) Despite all the jokes from the guys on the air over the years about my lack of exercise (okay, it’s true) I have always been in excellent health. I don’t drink or smoke or eat meat. My blood pressure and pulse are excellent and I am young enough to contribute a very healthy working kidney that should last more than 15 years in Scott.

This decision was a no-brainer for me. The disruption in my life should be minimal. There will be some discomfort for a few weeks after surgery but after that my life should go on almost exactly as before. One of the things I’ve learned is that we have two kidneys and when one is removed the other one steps up and works harder so that instead of the expected 50% remaining function I should have about 80%. Scott will go from nearly 0% to that same 80% and that will improve his quality of life dramatically.

I have every confidence in the surgical and recovery team at Cedar Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. They have been wonderful in educating me about organ donation and preparing me for what is ahead. They are available for anyone to contact for more information at Cedars-Sinai’s Kidney Donor site.

We’ll be talking about this on the air this morning on the Kevin and Bean show for the first time and in the days to come as we get closer to the surgery date. If you are lucky enough to be healthy I hope you will consider sharing your good fortune with others, whether that means donating blood (literally the least you can do to save a life), being on the bone marrow transplant registry , or volunteering to be an organ donor.

Thank you.

-Bean
    http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2012/11/01/kro ... -a-kidney/

This is a great story.
    I had been on hemo-dialysis for 2 + years before
    I was fortunate to have a great friend at work give me one of his,
    immediately and without any hesitation.

What a selfless & extraordinary human being.

platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    373875_10151456704484874_816346713_n.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Today is my 2 year anniversary of
    my great friend Kevin Lynch selflessly giving
    me one of his kidneys , and saving me from dialysis ( 3 x week )
    and essentially, saving my life.

What an extraordinary human being.

Anyone can be the difference,
    so consider donating LIFE and your organs.

platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Today is my 2 year anniversary of
    my great friend Kevin Lynch selflessly giving
    me one of his kidneys , and saving me from dialysis ( 3 x week )
    and essentially, saving my life.

What an extraordinary human being.

Anyone can be the difference,
    so consider donating LIFE and your organs.

Happy Donation Day!

hope you and Kevin had great fun celebrating...

and both of y'all continue to be well! :D:D

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    483689_10151542869244874_37610449_n.jpg
    platessmall.jpg