Options

*** Berlin Fanviews Here 8/15/09 ***

Comments

• Options
    alesekalesek Posts: 809
    Light years... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrqCUicg8MM

just pure joy. so hard to get back into real life after a night like this... ahhh ....
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Options
    PJ germany wrote:
    Just 24 hours after I am still in the spirit of this beuatiful evening. I can remember, as I child I sometimes tried to imagine what paradise would be like. How does it look like? What kind of people are there? How does it SOUND like? :-)) So yesterday evening - I think it was during HTI - I remembered me being a child and asking these qustions to myslf. I smiled thinking: It`s not that hard to imagine paradise when you are at Wuhlheide. :-)) A beautiful nightsky, beautiful people beneath it listening, singing and dancing to beautiful music, all in just one place.
    HTI was follwed by Alive, and so another circle in my live has closed.

It was just a perfect show. Thanks so much to everyone who was part of that!
    And please: Let`s all come back one day.

"ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh"

From southern germany, sry bout my bad english.

may I sign this?

hey, you found really good words here,
    to describe this evening
    just perfect and very nicely put. :P

and p.s. it is also nice to see another Southern German around...
    and p.s.2: I am sorry for my bad english, too :roll:
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    bumperxlbumperxl Posts: 28
    While desperately missing Porch and Black I was struck by the beautiful atmosphere during I Am Mine and Better Man. Sonic Reducer =>Rockin' In The Free World =>Yellow Ledbetter = WOW, what an ending!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    This was every bit as good ad it sounds. Wow. Man that was fucking so good. Always helps when the band seem to be 'on'. Vedder especially seemed to really be in a great mood and really upfor it

Angie was great!!!

Hihlights

Given to fly - soaring version
    sonic reducer
    brother - jeffs bass ruled this
    got some - easily best version yet. Vedder has learned how to sing this now without being close to collapse!'n

just insanely good

finally got to see a great fellow collector too. Hey Norman
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    Ooooohh have I got a little story for you... :D

Fifteen hours in a van, then some drinking, not enough sleep - that's for sure...
    The 10C line was holding about 150 people when we arrived at the entrance and we thought we were early...Then another 5 hours in the bar area listening to Pearl Jam music. People from Israel, Mexico, Italy, Brasil, Belgium, Greece..and where not...amazing!
    Queuing to get inside was insane. People jumped over the fences and local security guys were definitely not prepared. They should have put a proper rail and much of the pushing could have been prevented..
    I didn't mind..as always I was extremely pumped up and excited. Let me in..let me in!...and they did.

Second row, Mike's side...
    The first real highlight was the Mexican wave that went all around the venue. Heartfelt, beautiful.The spirit was there!Gomez were a pleasant opener, they looked like they were overwhelmed by the amount of people that were quite responsive.

And then it happened. Why Go is a mad opener. The crowd in the dead front center looked like a wave of mud. They moved slowly but firmly, there's no point of fighting against it. Rock n roll! I was screaming the lines, jumping and waving my Slovenian flag and before I realized I was front row- right on the right side of that massive big pole that supported the roof. The intensity was growing with every song that followed (Hail, Hail, The Fixer, Corduroy). It felt hot...like going up with the flames of passion. Addictive highs cannot be endured for long.. and I guess my emotions were piled up by the time they hit the first notes of I am Mine, because I had to fight back the tears - but didn't succeed.

It's the strangest feeling that I know oh so well from all the Pearl Jam concerts. I feel happy but sad, like a pilgrim that walked into the holy land but lost his dearest somewhere back on the path. My private landscape of music. It's very personal for me, because I've been listening to this band since my early teenage years, grown up with it..Every experience I've had bonded with one of the songs and when I hear it..it takes me there..even though at times I don't want it to. If there was such a thing like a map of a heart, Pearl Jam have my key to it... and they now all the secret passages...and they can dig new holes. And its scary. I would have felt a lot saner if nothing had such power over me.

I'm really glad I've heard Nothing as it seems. Line "Occupations overthrown, a whisper through a megaphone" cuts me like a knife. And Untitled and MFC and God's Dice, Even Flow.. one after another. What a great setlist!I felt the ground again with Unemployable...can't really remember Severed Hand.

Forgetting is another thing I encounter at Pearl Jam concert. There's always a song or two, I can hardly remember. Forgetting reinforces the impression of dreams. I'm not a big fan of dreams, but I it like when something feels dreamy. If I was a jumping/screaming machine before, I got completely fragile at Light Years and there I was in tears - again! I'm much to frail for this song. I was a wreck but it still felt great. I started afresh after that.
    Daugther, Got Some (I love it!!Love it!), Glorified G and Brother ..I swear I could jump on the stage, it felt like I could do anything!Insignificance and DTE brought out the activist in me..now I felt not only that I could do anything but that I'm going to!

First encore was undoubtedly special, although I'm not such a fan of Bee Girl. Betterman, Given To Fly and Alive was were I felt like a part of the crowd most and the connection with the band was fenomenal. Hard To Imagine is what the title says. I really don't have a proper vocabulary, words feel so clumsy..Who needs words when you got feelings!

Second encore started with Ed remembering the Venice show that got canceled after that terrible storm...I was there, is where for the first time I got really scared for my life when hailstones bounced of my body..It's a pleasant warm feeling when you know that they cared deeply for all the injured and hurt. Small time was another communion song and Faithful another one that I couldn't believe I'm hearing, actually that goes for Sonic Reducer too. RITFW and Yellow Ledbetter were expected but I enjoyed ever second of it. I think RITFW is theirs. When you play one song so many times and put so much energy to it - it's yours...Yellow Ledbetter is when you know the show is over..but I'm gonna carry this show inside for a long time...

I didn't take any photos during the concert and after the show I didn't even bother to go buy some merch (even though I would like to have a poster). It felt so shallow and materialistic. It's a very soulful experience for me. Much like a car repair. It gets a little rusty and dusty, but when you clean it, and fix it a bit, it is as good as new and it has much more soul to it then any new car. I feel polished, cleansed and alive now!

I tried...but this review is not portraying what I've felt even slightly. You just can't answer with words.... maybe with music..

I always repeat myself by saying - If only I could somehow return the gift - they continue to give me unknowingly...
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    QuintQuint Posts: 27
    Stereotype wrote:
    I always repeat myself by saying - If only I could somehow return the gift - they continue to give me unknowingly...

I can so relate to your story. Great read and congratulations on such a wonderfull night. i don't know what it is with these guys, but somehow they manage to make almost every evening special, at least for the people who attended.
    Saw things so much clearer
    Once you, were in my...
    Rearviewmirror...
  • Options
    RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    It's the strangest feeling that I know oh so well from all the Pearl Jam concerts. I feel happy but sad, like a pilgrim that walked into the holy land but lost his dearest somewhere back on the path. My private landscape of music. It's very personal for me, because I've been listening to this band since my early teenage years, grown up with it..Every experience I've had bonded with one of the songs and when I hear it..it takes me there..even though at times I don't want it to. If there was such a thing like a map of a heart, Pearl Jam have my key to it... and they now all the secret passages...and they can dig new holes. And its scary. I would have felt a lot saner if nothing had such power over me.

8-) You put the words right out of my mouth.... you described it perfectly... thank you...
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    edited August 2009
    I have not been able to look at the setlist yet, so I will go by memory.
    The set started with Why Go
    Nothing as it Seems, God’s Dice, and Unemployable: it was shaping up to be a “Binaural” show, and I would rather listen to something else rather than Unemployable, so I have to say at this point I was a tiny bit disappointed. In retrospect though, we got “Light Years” (a first for me) and no “Evacuation” so it was fine. They also played “Insignificance,” which I don’t think was casual (“bombs dropping down, please forgive my hometown.... it’s instilled, to want to live...”). I just love the guy who does the setlists: his brain, his heart, his words and superior sensitivity.
    Speaking of which, at some point he asked the crowd on the floor to take three steps back. He also (I think that was before “Betterman,” interestingly) recommended that the “men take care of the women, cause that’s what we do.”
    He did the sweetest version of “Untitled” before MFC and sang “I am tired of being alone,” :(

I am still not a big fan of The Fixer, but it was nicely done live and it is a crowd pleaser, for sure. Got Some left me a little more perplexed. It may not have been just mixing issues at Conan’s, and the song may be a little hard to keep up with for Ed’s voice and lungs. Brother, on the other hand was absolutely chilling, stunning, superlative. I like the song, but the Berlin live rendition was incredible. It may actually have been the highlight of the night for me. They played it after “Glorified G.” Ed actually said: that was an old one. One of our previous drummers wrote it (?!), I am not sure he knew what he was doing... this is an even older one” (clue Brother). The crowd didn’t seem to know it, but overall they were pretty good. Singing worse than an Italian or a NYC show, but ok. And the floor was just a moving ocean on some of the songs (Evenflow and Rocking in the Free World come to mind).
    This is the first time I am seeing only one show, so I was a little apprehensive that I would not get three songs I adore and you always get all if you go to at least two shows in a sequence: Given to Fly, Corduroy, and Daughter. I got all three, and I have the sore muscles and raspy voice to show for it.
    During “Do the Evolution” he looked at his watch with a panicked look when he sang “2010 watch it go to fire”
    I don’t remember exactly at some point, but I am pretty sure that Ed crowd surfed at some point (maybe during Alive?)
    Bee Girl was a nice surprise. I think Ed mentioned before it that they came to Berlin in the 90s with Bad Religion. “Religion is still bad, and here’s a song about it”. Only he and Jeff were on stage, and he mentioned how they had meant to rehearse it, but really didn’t. While singing “believe in nothing” he moved his arms for emphasis.
    During the second encore, he said in German: “we have played this song before, but never here. I think it has a special meaning in this city” then Stone took it and started “Rocking in the Free World”. The crowd went crazy and sang every single word, almost over Ed’s voice. I still get goose bumps just at the thought. He threw a ton of tambourines. He also had to dodge a couple that were being thrown to him poorly by the stage staff.
    I thought that would be all (and what a way to close), but then saw Mike holding on to his guitar. They played Yellow Ledbetter with Ed sitting on the speakers and at one time kneeling to “worship” Mike.
    It was a great show in a great place. I am very grateful for having been there.
    Post edited by meme on
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Once again.
    I am really surprised - I found on Polish two big portals articles about the show. Of course - both are in superlatives.
    Funny. The same day Madonna had her first show in my country, and articles about it were... hm... various - good and really bad too.
    But about the PJ concert, although it was in our neighbourhood - as an opposition to Madonna's show - they are describing pure music, feelings and naturalness.

Ok... I have a little suspicions these guys who wrote these articles are in PJ too... ;)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    Stereotype wrote:

Fifteen hours in a van, then some drinking, not enough sleep - that's for sure...
    The 10C line was holding about 150 people when we arrived at the entrance and we thought we were early...Then another 5 hours in the bar area listening to Pearl Jam music. People from Israel, Mexico, Italy, Brasil, Belgium, Greece..and where not...amazing!
    Queuing to get inside was insane. People jumped over the fences and local security guys were definitely not prepared. They should have put a proper rail and much of the pushing could have been prevented..
    I didn't mind..as always I was extremely pumped up and excited. Let me in..let me in!...and they did.

Second row, Mike's side...
    The first real highlight was the Mexican wave that went all around the venue. Heartfelt, beautiful.The spirit was there!Gomez were a pleasant opener, they looked like they were overwhelmed by the amount of people that were quite responsive.................
    ..........................................................................................................................................................................................

Dear Stereotype- that was the most beautiful fanview I have ever read- thank you very much!! (I didn't copy the whole thing - in order to save space)
    xoxoxo
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    BenzBenz Posts: 117
    What a concert! And then today i met the band i front of their hotel and got signatures from all of them on the best album (vinyl) ever made! What a bunch of nice guys - wow

I`m just happy...

pj.jpg

Edit: All of them except Boom and Matt but they don`t play on this record so it`s perfect :lol:
  • Options
    This was the best show I can remeber, the crowd was fantastic, the band was fantastic,a great set list & the weather was great so that made it a magical evening. I drove to Berlin for the show and I was happy I did, 750 km one way.
    Hope the band is comming to Belgium next time during a European tour so I can enjoy it closer to home.
    The most wonderfull moment was the moment that Eddie asked the crowd to take 3 steps back, and they did, that was great.
    :D:)
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Man I hope they put a boot out of this. Would love to hear the RS cover of Angie. How cool was that?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,272
    Thanks for a great night !
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    ChimicaChimica Germany Posts: 14
    Folks,

call me crazy, but who knows, maybe this was the best rock concert EVER...

Back home, it is hard to get back again to normal daily-work mode, because the music just continues in me. I hear some of the songs - Insignificance, Better Man, Bee Girl... - although long and well known with different ears now: This show added something to the way I feel while hearing my even-before absolute favorite music!

Guys, please never stop making music - I am so much looking forward to hear Backspacer completely!!

My best greetings to all the 17000 people from Wuhlheide, who, specially during Rockin' in the free world, celebrated the greatest summer-night-party together with Pearl Jam the world ever saw!

We were but stones, your light made us stars!!
    2000 Hamburg
    2006 Berlin
    2007 Düsseldorf
    2009 Berlin
    2009 Philadelphia 10/31*
    2010 Berlin
    2014 Berlin
  • Options
    one of the greatest show ever...and then on sunday I met Mike :shock: and Matt :shock: ...and now my life has changed forever.

hope to see you guys soon, maybe in italy for other 10 shows...
  • Options
    petronio78 wrote:
    one of the greatest show ever...and then on sunday I met Mike :shock: and Matt :shock: ...and now my life has changed forever.

wow! where? where did they stay b/w? is that the picture with Mike in your profile? Can u zoom it out pls?
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Options
    Has anyone uploaded any pictures of the concert?

Please post some URLs :D
  • Options
    alesek wrote:
    petronio78 wrote:

wow! where? where did they stay b/w? is that the picture with Mike in your profile? Can u zoom it out pls?

we were just walking in postdamer platz and we found out the ritz hotel where some gusy were and they told us the band was there...after an hour of waiting the miracle happened.

yes the profile picture is the one with MIKE!!! really a great funny guy.
  • Options
    jodijodi Posts: 183
    petronio78 wrote:
    alesek wrote:
    petronio78 wrote:

we were just walking in postdamer platz and we found out the ritz hotel where some gusy were and they told us the band was there...after an hour of waiting the miracle happened.

Nice picture!!
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • Options
    danleridanleri Posts: 497
    Irish Al wrote:
    :shock: that my friends is a STUNNING set :shock:

Only negatce is NAIS ( said it before and I'll say it again...NOT a good live) but holy Jesus take that out and it's a near perfect set...espicially the opening 5....WOW

I don't agree with you there, man! Nothing As It Seems is a cracker live. And I am having second thoughts about The Fixer now that I've heard it online. It sounds very good too.
    Verona '00 | Dublin '06 | Barcelona '06 | London '07 | Copenhagen '07 | Berlin '09 | Dublin '10 | Belfast '10 | Berlin '10 | Toronto1 '11 | Toronto2 '11 | Amsterdam1 '12 | Stockholm '12 | Oslo '12 | Copenhagen '12 | Brooklyn1 '13 | Brooklyn2 '13 | Amsterdam1 '14 | Amsterdam2 '14 | Vienna '14 | Berlin '14
  • Options
    petronio78 wrote:
    alesek wrote:
    petronio78 wrote:

U LUCKY!
    Amazing night ... still blown away. went to see Faith No More last night... Simply couldnt get into it at all... No way close....
  • Options
    NoLogoNoLogo Posts: 289
    This was my 4th PJ show and I just realized that I got 13 songs at this show I haven´t got before! 63 different songs in 4 shows ('00, '06, '07, '09)! These guys ROCK!!! :D:D
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    petronio78 wrote:
    Great pic! You are lucky man!

Hmm. If i have 69 shows PJ on my account, is there any chance to take a pic with Mike? i don't ask for common night;)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    joergjoerg Austria Posts: 123
    it's only been my 4th pearl jam show, but that was the greatest pearl jam concert so far and the greatest concert i've ever seen in my life (and there were plenty!). an awesome location, f**ing great fans and pj playing at their best. in '07 i also got tickets for the venice show that was cancelled due to a thunderstorm (eddie mentioned that tragedy - a lot of people got hurt - during the berlin set). hopefully the guys are coming back to italy for some shows in 2010, PLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE :) and don't forget austria!!!
    ... wind in my hair i feel part of everywhere ...
  • Options
    joergjoerg Austria Posts: 123
    petronio78 wrote:

that pic is pretty awesome. i can't believe it, on saturday i was standing in front of that hotel, ... i didn't know that the guys were staying there. but congrats to that pic!!

10 shows in italy? that sounds pretty sweet man ;)
    ... wind in my hair i feel part of everywhere ...
  • Options
    petronio78 wrote:

Man! Envy! You must have sit just a row or two below us at the venue! We were so close to the hotel as well, spend some time at the Holocaust Museum next to Potzdamer Platz ....
  • Options
    NoLogoNoLogo Posts: 289
    simonleif wrote:
    Has anyone uploaded any pictures of the concert?

Please post some URLs :D

I posted that before, but in case you missed it. Have fun! :)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 689&ref=mf
  • Options
    kaseyakaseya Posts: 8
    been listening to this band since their inception, seen too many shows to count. the berlin show was among my favorites i've ever seen.

full report, plus a lengthy diatribe on the stigma that remains attached to the band, at http://kaseyanderson.blogspot.com

been a fan club member off and on since '94 and used to post sometimes on the old message pit but it's been a while. hello to everyone.

if anyone's interested, i also play music. you'll find links and more info at www.myspace.com/kaseyanderson, www.facebook.com/kaseyandersonmusic, www.kaseyanderson.com and the blog posted above.

take care out there.