so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

1363738394042»

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,796
    :)
    I went there once a few years ago and really liked it. Thanks for posting that article, funny how they are from the Abruzzo part of Italy and your user name is Abruzzo.
    Yeah I have fam in Abruzzo. And it's kinda like that one Pearl Jam drummer. Real deep stuff - you've cracked it Xavier!
    haha, guess I'm perceptive! Never had the cheesesteak there but am intrigued enough to try it sometime.
    I got it once and it was really good, but generally I can't resist the namesake roast pork.
    I wanted to go to John's Roast Pork tomorrow, but with a 5:00 closing time, I don't think I can make that.

I'm thinking of going to Angelo's instead.  Never had a cheesesteak there.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,478
    cutz said:
    I went there once a few years ago and really liked it. Thanks for posting that article, funny how they are from the Abruzzo part of Italy and your user name is Abruzzo.
    Yeah I have fam in Abruzzo. And it's kinda like that one Pearl Jam drummer. Real deep stuff - you've cracked it Xavier!
    haha, guess I'm perceptive! Never had the cheesesteak there but am intrigued enough to try it sometime.
    I got it once and it was really good, but generally I can't resist the namesake roast pork.
    I wanted to go to John's Roast Pork tomorrow, but with a 5:00 closing time, I don't think I can make that.

You won't be disappointed. (unless they're sold out)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,841
    cutz said:

Angelo’s was great!!!! My son and I got one of the last few when we went. Guess they sell out of that delicious bread from next door.
    I think they make their own bread?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,763
    I think they make their own bread?
    Yes, basically sarcones. He’s married to the sarcone daughter. It’s so good. 

They opened a kitchen for delivery but don’t think it makes its way to my house 
    Oh, didn’t realize the bakery is in the family. I saw it about three doors down. That’s cool!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,763
    Oh, didn’t realize the bakery is in the family. I saw it about three doors down. That’s cool!
    So yeah, sacrones is separate and he doesn’t make it at the bakery, they do it in Angelo’s, but it’s just a very very similar bread give the ties 
    👍 The bread was so good. 
    cutz said:

You won't be disappointed. (unless they're sold out)
    Any idea if I get there around 5 or so that they will be sold out? or is it just a crap-shoot?

And if they are sold out what's the next best option?(I'm going to a concert at The Center)
    Well, NO luck getting a cheesesteak at Angelos.

When I got there the line was very long. I asked the girl in front of me if she knew about how long? And she told me she heard close to 2 hours. Ask someone waiting and said they ordered over a hour ago and wasn't sure how much longer. I LOVE Cheesesteaks but I wasn't waiting that long. I decided to go to Jim's and I just did a drive-by as the long was out the door and down the sidewalk.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    The one time I was there we called ahead. Cheesesteaks were ready as soon as we got there. Wife hopped out and paid while I drove around the block and waited. 
    www.myspace.com
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,242
    Yeah calling ahead is the way to go. Even then it’s still quite a pain to deal with. Might as well make it as easy as possible on yourself. 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,242
    Also, Del Rossi’s is essentially copying Angelo’s right now. Baking their own seeded rolls and everything. Angelo’s is probably slightly better, but I’d have a tough time Pepsi challenging them. We got a smorgasbord of them delivered for our guests that were visiting for the PJ shows and they were a huge hit. So much easier to deal with than Angelo’s.

I tried calling them once and got busy signals. Friends coming in from out-of-town this weekend. I'm getting Mama's Pizzeria cheesesteaks for the occasion.