Options

so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

1353637383941»

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I do like the fries.  I actually like the place across the street much more.  The way they do the meat at Genos is not my thing.  Pats has way better onion/meat mix going.
    A steak is almost always good...I just chuckled at the dude who has been here for years taking people to Genos over some of the other options.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    Wanna go to Wawa?

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    edited March 13
    Went to one of the places from the Top 10 I Posted from a Newspaper article a while back.

I went to Curly's Comfort Foods last night for a Cheesesteak. I was in the area for a HS State basketball playoff game. 

I got the LARGE one, with American cheese, and it was LARGE. (sorry, no clue how to Post picture). Plenty of Meat that was chopped up nice with the cheese melted through out nicely.  

While it was very good, I've had better at Lillo's and Donkeys(though Donkeys needs to make ther's bigger for me=LOL)

Curly’s Comfort Foods
    The cheesesteak at Curly's Comfort Foods in Levittown, Pa., features a full pound of ribeye on a seeded Aversa roll. Pictured here is half of a steak.
    1140 Bristol Oxford Valley Road, Levittown, Pennsylvania, 267-639-0787,curlyscreations.com. Closed Monday, 

Michael Sarian, a bald-pated “Curly” in a long line of bald-pated Curlys, first put his 1-pound cheesesteak on the menu as a joke. The longtime comfort-food cook had gotten access to a supply of premium ribeye, and figured what the heck?

“It was a gimmick,” he said. “But people liked them.”

During peak pandemic, May 2020, he was handing out cheesesteaks for free to workers at local businesses in need. And then the steaks caught on, especially on social media with a newly formed Cheesesteak Gurus Facebook page that’s now swollen to more than 80,000 members. 

But it wasn’t just hype. It was also technique. Sarian layers meat, then cheese, then more meat, then more cheese, to distribute Cooper Sharp evenly and create a lovely substance that is neither meat nor cheese but gloriously both. His Aversa rolls are a special order that get extra time in the oven: sturdier, crisper, with more chew and an interesting sourdough twang. 

And if you feel like a pound of meat is too much? Sarian added a “small.” It’s still 12 ounces.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Yeah I've been to Curly's. Very good cheesesteak, but, yeah---waaaaay too big. I don't think I even finished mine.

They could seriously lose 25% of the meat and it would add to the overall quality of the sandwich. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,459
    A pound of meat - that's pretty excessive.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    Well, I could've ordered the 12" but I was hungry and wanted to give the LARGE one a try.

I was able to eat all of it. And yes, it is excessive and so is the price. I didn't look what it cost for one Cheesesteak
    but our total bill for 2 of us was over $43.00(2 cheesesteaks 1 small fry(which was not small) and 2 20 oz. Sodas.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    PA is a weird place for food. Great subs (I call them grinders), great breakfasts, and the odd local place serving long hots with clams. You just never know, unless you know.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    PA is a weird place for food. Great subs (I call them grinders), great breakfasts, and the odd local place serving long hots with clams. You just never know, unless you know.
    There are no subs here.

And a grinder is merely a toasted hoagie.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    So hoagie is right word? I cannot keep up. And in CT grinders were not alway toasted. Primos, White House etc. all great and a standard before all Camden shows.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Get_Right said:
    There are no subs here.

In Philly, is the chain "Subway" known as "Hoagieway"?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Get_Right said:
    There are no subs here.

It's known as "the shitty sandwich place".
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Poncier said:
    Get_Right said:
    There are no subs here.

It's known as that pretty much everywhere. :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Get_Right said:
    There are no subs here.

I mean, what's up with that bread. It looks disgusting even in the commercials.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Get_Right said:
    There are no subs here.

Well we do have Hoagiefest :tongue: 

Wawas 2023 Hoagiefest Celebrates 15 Years of Hoagie Love

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,139
    Nice! Just had a cheesesteak from a place I’d been meaning to try for weeks now, so I guess I was celebrating! It was delicious. My picture won’t do it justice, but the instagram feed does.

(Now, I’m down in Georgia, so don’t know exactly how these rate, but it was a serious sandwich.)

https://www.instagram.com/weeyumsphilly/
  • Options
    Nice! Just had a cheesesteak from a place I’d been meaning to try for weeks now, so I guess I was celebrating! It was delicious. My picture won’t do it justice, but the instagram feed does.

(Now, I’m down in Georgia, so don’t know exactly how these rate, but it was a serious sandwich.)

https://www.instagram.com/weeyumsphilly/
    I've seen worse looking cheesesteaks!
    chinese-happy.jpg