Options

so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I suppose at some point its the little differences at the best spots.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    RiotZact said:
    I never really get wiz, but Angelo’s makes a long hot wiz that’s my favorite. Pretty sure they don’t even use cheese wiz as the base though considering it is white and not bright yellow/orange. 
    Velveeta or perhaps queso?  
    No, doesn’t taste like either at all. I’m guessing they just melt down American cheese and mix the peppers in or something along those lines. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    edited August 2023
    I think I prefer a steak and cheese sub vs a cheesesteak. I like sliced steak on a toasted sub roll with pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions, banana peppers, pickles and ketchup. I find chopped up steak and cheese sauce too mushy and soggy. Maybe I just haven't had a good one.
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    GlowGirl said:
    I think I prefer a steak and cheese sub vs a cheesesteak. I like sliced steak on a toasted sub roll with pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions, pickles and ketchup. I find chopped up steak and cheese sauce too mushy and soggy. Maybe I just haven't had a good one.

Nothing wrong with a steak hoagie wedge sub grinder etc. with the works. You probably have not had a good steak.  And no whiz, go for the provolone. The Philly bread does not make it soggy if you eat it right away.  Heck even my westchester balboa holds up for an hour.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    edited August 2023
    GlowGirl said:
    I think I prefer a steak and cheese sub vs a cheesesteak. I like sliced steak on a toasted sub roll with pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions, banana peppers, pickles and ketchup. I find chopped up steak and cheese sauce too mushy and soggy. Maybe I just haven't had a good one.
    When you were in Camden last year, you were near one of the best Cheesesteak  places: Donkey's.

Instead of sitting/standing in line all day you could've went to Donkey's and got yourself a good cheesesteak>LOL(I kid as I know you got rail and it was all worth it. Camden was a GREAT show).

Next time in Camden/Philly grab yourself a cheesesteak.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    cutz said:
    GlowGirl said:
    When you were in Camden last year, you were near one of the best Cheesesteak  places: Donkey's.

Instead of sitting/standing in line all day you could've went to Donkey's and got yourself a good cheesesteak>LOL(I kid as I know you got rail and it was all worth it. Camden was a GREAT show).

Cheesesteak or my first time on the rail - hmmm.... I think I made the right choice. But I will get a cheesesteak next time I am in the area. It was a great show.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    cutz said:
    GlowGirl said:

Cheesesteak or my first time on the rail - hmmm.... I think I made the right choice. But I will get a cheesesteak next time I am in the area. It was a great show.

I would bet there are more than a few people here that would of brought you one while in line :) Thread integrity I know but that area also makes outstanding subs hoagies grinders wedges of all kinds. It was a great show!  
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    cutz said:
    GlowGirl said:

I know you made the right choice.(I admire what you did as I know I can't do that)

Yes, get a cheesesteak  next time.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    edited August 2023
    Angelo's lives up to they hype. FINALLY made it over there yesterday. Unbelievable cheesesteak in every way. Pretty much perfection right here.

LONG. HOT. WIZ. for the win. Riotzact--thanks for the heads up on this one. Yeah it isn't like the regular wiz you'd get somewhere else. Def seems more like American cheese in there but it does have a kick...a glorious kick.

And of course the bread is fantastic. Cheesesteak Heaven. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    You've had the pizza there before, right?

Angelo's is awesomeness 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    So fucking good 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    Angelo's lives up to they hype. FINALLY made it over there yesterday. Unbelievable cheesesteak in every way. Pretty much perfection right here.

LONG. HOT. WIZ. for the win. Riotzact--thanks for the heads up on this one. Yeah it isn't like the regular wiz you'd get somewhere else. Def seems more like American cheese in there but it does have a kick...a glorious kick.

that does look delicious!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    With a summer love too. Can’t beat that 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    Glad you liked it with the long hot wiz! They’re best known for the Cooper Sharp, and it’s still the best cheesesteak with that too, but I really think the long hot wiz gives it something extra. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Hells yes Juggler.  Looks delish.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

Damn, that looks REALLY GOOD!

But, WIZ?(I thought that was a no-no on a Cheesesteak?)
  • Options
    cutz said:

It's a long hot wiz. Doesn't taste like the regular generic kind. I think they put american/cooper sharp in it. It's ridiculous. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutz said:

It's a long hot wiz. Doesn't taste like the regular generic kind. I think they put american/cooper sharp in it. It's ridiculous. 
    I trust your word as a local, that's it's really good.

They put both Long Hot Wiz and either American/Cooper Sharp?

I admit that I didn't know there was a Long Hot Wiz. Not sure I'd try it though. I stick to what I KNOW I like>LOL
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    They make a long hot hoagie that is amazing as well.  
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    edited August 2023
    I'm gonna guess their "whiz" starts with Cooper Sharp.

Think more like a chickies and Pete's crab fry cheese dip than government cheese sauce in a can.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    I remember mocking that liquid cheese dip at Chickie & Petes....and then I drunk ate some.  Glorious

• Options
    I remember mocking that liquid cheese dip at Chickie & Petes....and then I drunk ate some.  Glorious

That stuff is so damn good.  
  • Options
    I'm gonna guess their "whiz" starts with Cooper Sharp.

Think more like a chickies and Pete's crab fry cheese dip than government cheese sauce in a can.
    Yeah this is a good comparison. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,459
    I'll have to try that next time I manage to get there.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    We were in Lawrenceville, NJ today and I remembered one of the places from a list shared on this thread was in the same town.
    Meatheadz, in Lawrence Township. Nj

10/10

A steak with onions and Cooper.
    A steak without onions and American

Both delicious.   The 9 year old ate most of the small half of his.  I ate the small half of mine....and some of the meat from the larger half, with a fork

Most meat I can recall in a steak and the rib eye / cheese mix was great.  Roll was special.  Crusty but not on the inside. 

Also had made to order fries and rings.

Will have two more meals from these.....

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,787
    Yeah they look good
  • Options
    We were in Lawrenceville, NJ today and I remembered one of the places from a list shared on this thread was in the same town.
    Meatheadz, in Lawrence Township. Nj

10/10

A steak with onions and Cooper.
    A steak without onions and American

Both delicious.   The 9 year old ate most of the small half of his.  I ate the small half of mine....and some of the meat from the larger half, with a fork

Most meat I can recall in a steak and the rib eye / cheese mix was great.  Roll was special.  Crusty but not on the inside. 

Also had made to order fries and rings.

Will have two more meals from these.....

Nice!

So, how many of the 10 on the list that was Posted here, have you been at now?(I think you hit up Mama's Meatballs and Pizzeria ? & Angelo's?)
  • Options
    I think 3 of them...I'd already been to Angelo's.  Good list though, always like finding new places to try.
  • Options
     Chicken parm with vodka sauce.