so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
first time in Philly so you know i need to get me a cheese steak...but i want a real one not no"tourist" crap!

Philly peeps chime in please!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    John's Roast Pork. Trust me on this.
  • Tony Luke's
    Walks on his own... With thoughts he can't help thinking...
  • i see a tour de cheese steak in my future!

is blue moon popular around there by any chance? it's my beer of choice.
    i see a tour de cheese steak in my future!

Yeah, it's around. Philly's a highly driven micro-brew city so there will be PLENTY of awesome beers to try out as well. Oh, and John's Roast Pork is only open to 3 pm everyday, but dont worry it's totally worth. Also, the roast pork in this city closely rivals, and even surpasses, the cheesesteak.

Yea...people get it at bars. Just not me
    Walks on his own... With thoughts he can't help thinking...

Yeah, it's around. Philly's a highly driven micro-brew city so there will be PLENTY of awesome beers to try out as well. Oh, and John's Roast Pork is only open to 3 pm everyday, but dont worry it's totally worth. Also, the roast pork in this city closely rivals, and even surpasses, the cheesesteak.

what's that..like pulled pork...with like a bbq sauce?

Yea...people get it at bars. Just not me

no like? it's good stuff man!
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    I still swear by Pat's
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    this debate is usually between Geno's and Pat's King of Steaks. I say Pat's ... they use more cheese.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • I went there for the first time last year. Had Jim's (near my hotel) and went out of my way to hit Pat's (the birthplace). They were very different and both FANTASTIC!
  • I still swear by Pat's

a lot of people say that it's for tourists and not the real deal.
    i see a tour de cheese steak in my future!

what's that..like pulled pork...with like a bbq sauce?

Oh no no no no no.....it's slow roasted pork(not pulled apar, but more sliced) on a roll, and I like mine with provolone, roasted peppers, and horseradish sauce. Though most like it with provolone, roaster peppers, broccoli rabe, and the au jou(gravy).
  • I went there for the first time last year. Had Jim's (near my hotel) and went out of my way to hit Pat's (the birthplace). They were very different and both FANTASTIC!

no Geno's?
    And yes, Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's, and Jim's are all tourist traps. Geno's is the absolute worst out of all them then followed by Jim's.

• Oh no no no no no.....it's slow roasted pork(not pulled apar, but more sliced) on a roll, and I like mine with provolone, roasted peppers, and horseradish sauce. Though most like it with provolone, roaster peppers, broccoli rabe, and the au jou(gravy).

interesting!
  • And yes, Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's, and Jim's are all tourist traps. Geno's is the absolute worst out of all them then followed by Jim's.

yeah..i saw that shit on foodnetwork the other night ( Pat's, Geno's)

no Geno's?

Well seeing as how I was there for a photo shoot after winning 2nd in aa Nutrisystem contest for weight loss I thought I'd limit myself to 1 cheesesteak per day. LOL.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    And yes, Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's, and Jim's are all tourist traps. Geno's is the absolute worst out of all them then followed by Jim's.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with some of this...

don't go to Pat's or Geno's...they are tourist traps and the sandwiches there are subpar (compared to the other options).

I think Jim's on South Street has the best cheesesteaks in the city...

tony luke's has great steaks as well, but their best sandwich is the hot roast pork. This is located near the stadium complex and I make a point to hit tony luke's early before games/concerts to pick up a sandwich to bring to parking lot for the tailgate.

There are tons of places to get a 'philly cheesesteak'...I would strongly recommend not hitting geno's/pat's, unless you just want to say you were there.
    The Fixer wrote:

don't go to Pat's or Geno's...they are tourist traps and the sandwiches there are subpar (compared to the other options).

tony luke's has great steaks as well, but their best sandwich is the hot roast pork. This is located near the stadium complex and I make a point to hit tony luke's early before games/concerts to pick up a sandwich to bring to parking lot for the tailgate.

There are tons of places to get a 'philly cheesesteak'...I would strongly recommend not hitting geno's/pat's, unless you just want to say you were there.

And I respectfully acknowledge your disagreement. Geno's is flat out bad. Pat's is good for a good 3 am run after the bar. Get the "Heart Attack Mushroom Wit". Jim's is terrible as well - too dry. Though it's great on a South Street Taco - Get a Jim's cheesesteak, and buy a slice of Lazaro's pizza. You then roll the cheesesteak up in the slice of pizza. Boom - South Street Taco. And Tony Luke's is good, and their roast pork does indeed beat out their cheesesteak. But, if you want the best roast pork or cheese steak in Philly just go to JRP.
    The Fixer wrote:

And I respectfully acknowledge your disagreement. Geno's is flat out bad. Pat's is good for a good 3 am run after the bar. Get the "Heart Attack Mushroom Wit". Jim's is terrible as well - too dry. Though it's great on a South Street Taco - Get a Jim's cheesesteak, and buy a slice of Lazaro's pizza. You then roll the cheesesteak up in the slice of pizza. Boom - South Street Taco. And Tony Luke's is good, and their roast pork does indeed beat out their cheesesteak. But, if you want the best roast pork or cheese steak in Philly just go to JRP.

what's the over/under on how many of these threads we see over the next 2.5 months? I'll say 2,491. and I'll take the over
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Mmmm, this thread is making me hungry!

(These pretzels are making me thirsty.)
  • I live in center city and personally feel that the neighborhood pizza shops usually serve a better cheesesteak than the over-hyped places that survive on their name more than their product. That being said, you can find much better food for reasonable prices than cheesesteaks. I enjoy the cultural aspects of the cuisine Philadelphia has to offer more than the staples...
    The Fixer wrote:
    what's the over/under on how many of these threads we see over the next 2.5 months? I'll say 2,491. and I'll take the over

Honestly, I'm a sap for this kind of stuff. I love this shit. And I especially love the inquiries and love for our city. Very much overdue, by the way, and all because of a band. This may end up being the best thing PJ ever did for me - making an event of our city. :mrgreen:
    I live in center city and personally feel that the neighborhood pizza shops usually serve a better cheesesteak than the over-hyped places that survive on their name more than their product. That being said, you can find much better food for reasonable prices than cheesesteaks. I enjoy the cultural aspects of the cuisine Philadelphia has to offer more than the staples...

of course, but I don't think many people in this crowd are hitting a BYO before a PJ show. The OP asked about cheesesteaks, not Steven Starr restaurants
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The Fixer wrote:
    I remember watching a playoff game in Philly years ago... and that's what Madden had to say about it. And i think john Madden was a pretty good authority on the matter.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    I live in center city and personally feel that the neighborhood pizza shops usually serve a better cheesesteak than the over-hyped places that survive on their name more than their product. That being said, you can find much better food for reasonable prices than cheesesteaks. I enjoy the cultural aspects of the cuisine Philadelphia has to offer more than the staples...

This is true. First and foremost, I think the best way to get to know a city is through it's people, food, and bars outside of the staples and touristy stuff. I'm thinking I should just type up a thread of anything that should be on that list. Though here are some things that we Philadelphians definitely take for granted...Swiss Farms, Wawa, Tastykake, local deli, local pizza joint who knows how to make a stromboli, calzone, cheesesteak, roast pork, chicken cheesesteak, pizza, and hoagies. By the way, get a good hoagie while around as well. As my location states, this is Lunch Meat City.
    The Fixer wrote:

Honestly, I'm a sap for this kind of stuff. I love this shit. And I especially love the inquiries and love for our city. Very much overdue, by the way, and all because of a band. This may end up being the best thing PJ ever did for me - making an event of our city. :mrgreen:

I like to help people out, but I think it's kind of funny. I'll be in chicago in a few weeks (only my 2nd time ever in chicago) and I don't have anything planned besides the 2 PJ shows. I'll end up stumbling around the city on my own and ending up at whatever bar/restaurants I come across. That's just me, when I'm on vacation I don't like to have a to do list...just go with the flow.

everyone's opinions are different...it's impossible to find the 'best places' in a city on a message board.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I like to help people out, but I think it's kind of funny. I'll be in chicago in a few weeks (only my 2nd time ever in chicago) and I don't have anything planned besides the 2 PJ shows. I'll end up stumbling around the city on my own and ending up at whatever bar/restaurants I come across. That's just me, when I'm on vacation I don't like to have a to do list...just go with the flow.

everyone's opinions are different...it's impossible to find the 'best places' in a city on a message board.

This is true. Chicago's awesome. Top 3 favorite cities - 1.Philly 2.Chi Town 3.New Orleans
    Honestly, I'm a sap for this kind of stuff. I love this shit. And I especially love the inquiries and love for our city. Very much overdue, by the way, and all because of a band. This may end up being the best thing PJ ever did for me - making an event of our city. :mrgreen:[/quote]

everyone's opinions are different...it's impossible to find the 'best places' in a city on a message board.[/quote]

This is true. Chicago's awesome. Top 3 favorite cities - 1.Philly 2.Chi Town 3.New Orleans[/quote]

I'd probably agree with your list. Had a blast in chicago the first time (phils at wrigley trip), so I'm sure this trip will be more of the same. I might replace NO with San Diego though.

Stay Classy
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'd probably agree with your list. Had a blast in chicago the first time (phils at wrigley trip), so I'm sure this trip will be more of the same. I might replace NO with San Diego though.

Stay Classy

Yeah, Whale's Vagina is up there for me. Last time I was in Chicago was for Lolla and Phils in '07. That was a great, sloppy, drunk time.