Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    coachchris wrote:
    In McCready's interview he said that Matt wrote it not Ed. Regardless, if you can't picture yourself singing "Fight to get it back again, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" in concert when Ed points the mic out to us...you're crazy! This song, as much as some of you may not like, it will be kick ass live IMO ;)
    Come on now. This song will garner the equivalent response of Unemployable at a live setting which isn't great and isn't horrible (and I'm a fan of Unemployable). The song just doesn't have the chops to pick up a dull crowd or maintain a good crowd response during a good run of songs. I guess we'll see but I think that this song will be spot played after these Backspacer shows are done. Can you really see yourself getting all pumped up and yelling "fight to get it back again" at a show? Really?
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309
    Love where this band is at the moment i can't wait to see these songs live i mean all of them specially from my perspective wich will be up close & personal :) ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    esacks23 wrote:
    it's awful, and would everyone just accept and admit that it's awful before everyone on this board loses any and all credibility. please! it is the most pointless and irrelevant song this band has ever put out on a record. this is the poetry of a ten year old.
    Why does this band always have to be so serious??? Why does everything always have to be poetic?

And this song is poetic. It builds perhaps from the perspective of a child. The lyrics at the end of the song are pretty good.

Don't take it so seriously. Get laid or something! It's a fun song.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Do you really believe The Fixer will be a radio hit?

Do you believe The Fixer will give pearl jam the same recognition as green day has had with their last 2 albums........ and singles released from those albums?

Because I just dont see it happening.....not with that song

I hope the rest of backspacer blows me a way....I hope they sell a gazillion copies....I hope they win Album of the year....I hope The Lord Obama invites them to the White House....I hope the Pope has a special mass in their honor.....I hope they are invited to ride on the space shuttle......I hope the new album leads to world peace......

But i just dont see any of this happening because of the release of The Fixer......

No, it probably won't, but it sure as hell stands a better chance to make a dent on radio than most of their songs do.
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    My favorite parts where when someone kept referring to Nickelback as bubblegum. Yeah, I'm sure their "I like your pants around your feet" song would have been HUGE in the early 60s. And whoever said The Cure never wrote any poppy songs, that was funny too. And kept going back and forth - "No I meant they never wrote any poppy LYRICS!"

Worth noting that both of these were the same poster, who is clearly a musical genius. :roll:
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    i've heard it once so far and I'm not a fan of it....yet
    I say yet because it took a while for me to appreciate some of their songs, not that this will be or not be one of them; only time will tell.
    Overall I'm looking forward to the album and hearing the rest of what's on it.
    And I hope they keep making music for years to come.
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    You can build a thousand bridges and suck one dick and when you die you'll be known as a cocksucker and not a bridge builder.

Backspacer can be chalk full of masterpieces but unfortunately the Fixer might end up being the focal point on which the album is ultimately judged.
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    You can build a thousand bridges and suck one dick and when you die you'll be known as a cocksucker and not a bridge builder.

Backspacer can be chalk full of masterpieces but unfortunately the Fixer might end up being the focal point on which the album is ultimately judged.
    It's quite undeservedly harsh and ultimately totally false but I so rarely have an opportunity to bring up this great quote in a discussion and I couldn't pass it up.
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    Judging by The Fixer, I can't wait!
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    dude...i love the beatles..born and raised around their music...but that was the '50s when they made those songs! and it was "new" at the time...this is 2000 and fucking 9!!!...not the the same at all!
    The Beatles are from the 50s? I really need to brush up on my rock history, I have been misinformed.

it's ok...keep reading the thread and you'll learn plenty...will the mo...or is it just willmo?

Are you seriously defending your claim that the Beatles released their music in the 50s?
  • Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    This thread may need a boxing ring to settle things! :lol:
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    Songburst wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

It's quite undeservedly harsh and ultimately totally false but I so rarely have an opportunity to bring up this great quote in a discussion and I couldn't pass it up.

so i have to ask, where'd that line come from?
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    im just stunned that people on here defending this song can still rip on Nickelback after hearing The Crapper, i mean The Fixer

seriously someone said "there is nothing wrong with a pop song"??? these are the same people who rip all these "mainstream" bands but god forbid Pearl Jam does it and its freakin groundbreaking

lets get real they are chasing the dollar they arent worried about progression anymore...i mean c'mon a Target deal? Virgin Mobile?

I've never ripped on mainstream bands. Nickelback sucks because Nickelback sucks.

Now I'm going to go throw on a Buckcherry album and remind myself that music can be fun sometimes without it automatically being shit, like some around here seem to feel.
  • Options
    dpmay wrote:
    Songburst wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

so i have to ask, where'd that line come from?
    It's just a saying that us electrical / mechanical engineers used to bug civil engineers with in school. Not sure of the origin but it's damn funny if not wretchedly degrading.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    esacks23 wrote:
    it's awful, and would everyone just accept and admit that it's awful before everyone on this board loses any and all credibility. please! it is the most pointless and irrelevant song this band has ever put out on a record. this is the poetry of a ten year old.
    Why does this band always have to be so serious??? Why does everything always have to be poetic?

And this song is poetic. It builds perhaps from the perspective of a child. The lyrics at the end of the song are pretty good.

I gotta disagree. I know what you mean about not taking a song too seriously. But I think Pearl Jam does take this song seriously or else they wouldn't have made it the single.

Pink Cadillac by Bruce Springsteen.....now there's a perfect example of a song that shouldn't be taken too seriously.....but it's a good song. A Bruce fan who is really into his deep lyrics still wouldn't hate on Pink Cadillac because it's fun. The Fixer though? I don't think it's fun, I just think it's flat-out bad.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    knikknik Posts: 94
    esacks23 wrote:
    it is the most pointless and irrelevant song this band has ever put out on a record. this is the poetry of a ten year old.

What do you mean exactly by pointless and irrelevant? Irrelevant to what? It's just a buoyant song which doesn't have to be analysed to be enjoyed.
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    Let's just hope that Backspacer is no Riot Act.

I know there's much love for that album but it's not my particular favourite. If it's anywhere as good as Yield, the best of their latter albums I think we will be happy.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I love The Fixer! Can't wait to hear the rest of Backspacer! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    esacks23 wrote:

I gotta disagree. I know what you mean about not taking a song too seriously. But I think Pearl Jam does take this song seriously or else they wouldn't have made it the single.

Pink Cadillac by Bruce Springsteen.....now there's a perfect example of a song that shouldn't be taken too seriously.....but it's a good song. A Bruce fan who is really into his deep lyrics still wouldn't hate on Pink Cadillac because it's fun. The Fixer though? I don't think it's fun, I just think it's flat-out bad.
    Well its stuck in my head, and its Pearl Jam, so it works for me.
  • Options
    i heard that clip on the allstar game and expected to hear a pop song. i listened to no code and felt better after that then yesterday i hear thr fixer and got that feeling of when you feel embarrassed for someone. im sure someone will use that song on the next season of American Idol.
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    im just stunned that people on here defending this song can still rip on Nickelback after hearing The Crapper, i mean The Fixer

seriously someone said "there is nothing wrong with a pop song"??? these are the same people who rip all these "mainstream" bands but god forbid Pearl Jam does it and its freakin groundbreaking

lets get real they are chasing the dollar they arent worried about progression anymore...i mean c'mon a Target deal? Virgin Mobile?

I've never ripped on mainstream bands. Nickelback sucks because Nickelback sucks.

Now I'm going to go throw on a Buckcherry album and remind myself that music can be fun sometimes without it automatically being shit, like some around here seem to feel.
    There's a difference between Buckcherry and Nickelback? Nickelback was decent until they found their formula for printing money when they penned How You Remind Me and they decidedly shifted their philosophy towards playing the sales game. I saw them open for Big Wreck back in '97 or '98 and they killed. I saw Buckcherry back when Lit Up was big and they were good too but they were very comparable to Nickelback.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I like The Fixer. Is it a little too pop? maybe, but it's definitely not what Kings of Leon did with their last album. I think it's much better than Get Some which just sounded forced. I really think it's time for everyone to admit that the band's best days are behind them- doesn't mean they aren't still a great band, but like all huge bands, they will keep putting out stuff that can't compare to their earlier work. It's a lose, lose: they lose if they try and change something, and they lose if they stay the same and sound as if they are trying to be 1994 Pearl Jam instead of 2009 Pearl Jam. Its not the best song in the world, but who was actually expecting something legendary to come out in 2009?
  • Options
    knikknik Posts: 94
    i hear thr fixer and got that feeling of when you feel embarrassed for someone. im sure someone will use that song on the next season of American Idol.

If the band released the song and like it, why do you feel embarrassed for them? You may want to reflect upon your own insecurities...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    I love The Fixer! Can't wait to hear the rest of Backspacer! :D
    exactly and all songs is different live.....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    O_G_DO_G_D Toronto Posts: 541
    should i make a thread entitled "overblown defensiveness of the fixer"?

Thumbs way up to your response!!!!!!!!!!!
    1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
    2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
    3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
    5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
    10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
    11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
    20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
    23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
    24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
    28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
    29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
    30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
    31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Songburst wrote:

are you speaking from experience? ;)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    sometimes.......;)

seriously, haven't heard the fixer yet, so we shall see....but man 'bubblegum pop' and pearl jam...i just cannot imagine. i reserve judgement for when i actully can weigh in with an opinion, but yea....my husband thinks death cab for cutie is bubblegum pop......and i love em, lyrically i think they are far above that, etc....so whateva. as most things, it's your personal perspective of it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Songburst wrote:
    pjalive21 wrote:

There's a difference between Buckcherry and Nickelback? Nickelback was decent until they found their formula for printing money when they penned How You Remind Me and they decidedly shifted their philosophy towards playing the sales game. I saw them open for Big Wreck back in '97 or '98 and they killed. I saw Buckcherry back when Lit Up was big and they were good too but they were very comparable to Nickelback.

Yeah. The guy from Nickelback suffers from chronic constipation which interferes with his singing. And their whole catalogue is a rip off of Creed's first album. At least Buckcherry is busy ripping off good bands like AC/DC, Guns'n'Roses, and Aerosmith and their singer just sounds like he's strung out rather than ill. These are important distinctions ;)

Oh, plus, Buckcherry is fun. Nickelback is annoying. You'll never see Buckcherry claim their music is anything but a good time. Nickelback built their fortune on sad, tired, grunge "serious" posturing.
  • Options
    Haha sorry but this made me laugh considering this thread is a joke! :lol:

maybe so but have you read some of the crap from the "real" pearl jam fans? they are insane!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    Please cancel your ten club memberships! That way the rest of us can enjoy your sweet seats at the Pearl Jam shows. :D Don't get why people hate this song so much. I love it! Guess everyone is afraid of a little change.

Jesus Christ......
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com