Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    dude...i love the beatles..born and raised around their music...but that was the '50s when they made those songs! and it was "new" at the time...this is 2000 and fucking 9!!!...not the the same at all!

Yeah, it's very clear here that when you say that "it was the 50s when they made those songs", you obviously meant that the SOUND was 1950's and you know they made those songs in the 60's. :roll: Kinda like how anytime you and metsfan say a song is not poppy to bolster your argument and everyone points out that said song is very catchy and poppy (the cure, satan's bed, etc), you immediately claim you meant only the lyrics. Or when you say Nickelback is poppy and everyone asks what you're smoking, you clarify that you mean it's mainstream and not deep enough. You're the king of the backpedal.

By all means, hate the song. But be honest about it. It's got nothing to do with selling out or not taking new directions (which this song is for PJ), or anything else... it's the fact that the song is fun and goofy, and you want your PJ as dour and angsty as it was in the 90's.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ..getting him to admit that he IS his dad is the hard part.

I'm all over the tropic Thunder quotes today:

"I don't read the script man, the script reads me."
    "WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?"
    Post edited by soulsinging on
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I don't....that's why i was a fan to begin with!!....i like shit with layers/depth...i hear Fixer and i feel like they are chasing the top 40.....I'm not totally bashing it but it's just...no right...don't feel like PJ to me either...sounds like an Eddie Money song to me, music wise...this is the same band that gave us immortality?...sorry but at this stage in their careers i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type..progressive, groundbreaking deep shit...it's like they are regressing with this song! I mean Bigwave was the same almost...but at least Ed surfs :mrgreen: ...whatever....i like Got some....can't wait to see what the rest of the album has to offer.

all i know is mad people seem to be really into it and yet Binaural gets no love..not like it should...so maybe I'm just a different breed.

Lol, i swear you are me....

I feel like this record wasn't fully concentrated on from that interview with zane lowe. It was more of just a bunch of friends getting together and making some songs.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hey now... drummers have some strong arms... his dad could probably beat up your dad :D

beating up his dad is the easy part...getting him to admit that he IS his dad is the hard part.

I'm all over the tropic Thunder quotes today:

"I don't read the script man, the script reads me."
    "WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    it's the fact that the song is fun and goofy, and you want your PJ as dour and angsty as it was in the 90's.

bingo!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    it's the fact that the song is fun and goofy, and you want your PJ as dour and angsty as it was in the 90's.

You people defending The Fixer have to understand that those of us who hate it don't want dour and angsty or anything that was in the 90's.....we just hate THIS song. Just THIS song. We don't want Vitalogy Part 2, we don't want Jeremy Goes To College. We just don't want THIS ONE SONG because we don't like it. And it's not that we don't like it because of any pre-conceived notion of what a Pearl Jam song should be or because we're too pretentious to enjoy a "fun and goofy" song, we just think it's a bad song.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

You people defending The Fixer have to understand that those of us who hate it don't want dour and angsty or anything that was in the 90's.....we just hate THIS song. Just THIS song. We don't want Vitalogy Part 2, we don't want Jeremy Goes To College. We just don't want THIS ONE SONG because we think it's horrible.

Got Some IS 90s... it's just like stbc, brain of j, or any other number of fast angry, aggressive riff rockers.
  • Options

You people defending The Fixer have to understand that those of us who hate it don't want dour and angsty or anything that was in the 90's.....we just hate THIS song. Just THIS song. We don't want Vitalogy Part 2, we don't want Jeremy Goes To College. We just don't want THIS ONE SONG because we think it's horrible.

Got Some IS 90s... it's just like stbc, brain of j, or any other number of fast angry, aggressive riff rockers.

So what does that have to do with The Fixer?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564

You people defending The Fixer have to understand that those of us who hate it don't want dour and angsty or anything that was in the 90's.....we just hate THIS song. Just THIS song. We don't want Vitalogy Part 2, we don't want Jeremy Goes To College. We just don't want THIS ONE SONG because we don't like it. And it's not that we don't like it because of any pre-conceived notion of what a Pearl Jam song should be or because we're too pretentious to enjoy a "fun and goofy" song, we just think it's a bad song.

Thank you for this!

Also, I'm thinking someone up there is not taking the criticism really well :D
    Hint: locked thread
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    This single is exactly what I was hoping for. A catchy Matt Cameron song to piss off all the wanna-be haters.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187

Jermy Goes to College :lol::lol:

well put....but shhhhhhhhhhh u pay twenty bucks a year for this privilege and unless you prefer your thoughts and ideas lumped up in one pile of everyone else's feelings, u better damned well enjoy the fixer! :lol:
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    This single is exactly what I was hoping for. A catchy Matt Cameron song to piss off all the wanna-be haters.

:? :lol:
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,747

it's a single is exactly what i was hoping for too. a catchy matt cameron song to piss off people who think they know what kind of songs pearl jam should make.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I love Matt Cameron songs.
  • Options

Jermy Goes to College :lol::lol:

well put....but shhhhhhhhhhh u pay twenty bucks a year for this privilege and unless you prefer your thoughts and ideas lumped up in one pile of everyone else's feelings, u better damned well enjoy the fixer! :lol:

lol, sadly that's true

PJammin' wrote:
    it's a single is exactly what i was hoping for too. a catchy matt cameron song to piss off people who think they know what kind of songs pearl jam should make.

As I said before:
    it's not that we don't like it because of any pre-conceived notion of what a Pearl Jam song should be or because we're too pretentious to enjoy a "fun and goofy" song, we just think it's a bad song.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

So what does that have to do with The Fixer?

I must have confused your post with someone else's. I could've sworn I saw something about digging Got Some in there. I think the bar exam is frying my brain.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,747
    edited July 2009
    it's not that we don't like it because of any pre-conceived notion of what a Pearl Jam song should be or because we're too pretentious to enjoy a "fun and goofy" song, we just think it's a bad song.

ok, you have 10 others. hopefully, they won't be bad to you.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    I must have confused your post with someone else's. I could've sworn I saw something about digging Got Some in there. I think the bar exam is frying my brain.

dude how can you study for the bar while reading this drivel?

man you need to hook up with a la firm...i might need a really good lawyer one day ;):lol::lol:
  • Options
    PJammin' wrote:

ok, you have 10 others. hopefully, they won't be bad to you.

yeah totally, and I don't think they will. That's what' I'm saying.....people are talking like if you don't like The Fixer, you can't like the rest of the album and/or you don't like new Pearl Jam music anymore. It's driving me batty.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

dude how can you study for the bar while reading this drivel?

man you need to hook up with a la firm...i might need a really good lawyer one day ;):lol::lol:

I already am, but I don't start until Sept and I've got to take the bar first. And this place is a great forum for venting my frustration with life for the next week until the worst 3 days of my life are over.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I will never pretend to be Pearl Jam's biggest fan. I have seen them many times and love the music, that said....this song stinks in my opinion.

You really don't have to love every song the band makes, my parents are huge Beatles and Clapton (my favorite) fans and there are plently of songs by each of them that they are not fans of.

I will never try and push my music opinion on anyone else. Everyone has their own taste and that is the beautiful thing about music. There is nothing I hate more than people that lecture others that their taste in music stinks or they are wrong about their opinion of a song or band.

Some people will like the song, some people won't. I don't but please don't lecture me why the song is so great.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I will never pretend to be Pearl Jam's biggest fan. I have seen them many times and love the music, that said....this song stinks in my opinion.

You really don't have to love every song the band makes, my parents are huge Beatles and Clapton (my favorite) fans and there are plently of songs by each of them that they are not fans of.

I will never try and push my music opinion on anyone else. Everyone has their own taste and that is the beautiful thing about music. There is nothing I hate more than people that lecture others that their taste in music stinks or they are wrong about their opinion of a song or band.

Some people will like the song, some people won't. I don't but please don't lecture me why the song is so great.
    agreed

i think 1/2 full is a great song and everyone pretty much hates it. if i dont like, i dont like it. i dont need people throwing there bs reasons as to why i should like it.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    My favorite parts where when someone kept referring to Nickelback as bubblegum. Yeah, I'm sure their "I like your pants around your feet" song would have been HUGE in the early 60s. And whoever said The Cure never wrote any poppy songs, that was funny too. And kept going back and forth - "No I meant they never wrote any poppy LYRICS!"

Worth noting that both of these were the same poster, who is clearly a musical genius. :roll:
    and you think you're one. i never said i was a musical genius. least have some balls and quote me.

• Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    im just stunned that people on here defending this song can still rip on Nickelback after hearing The Crapper, i mean The Fixer

seriously someone said "there is nothing wrong with a pop song"??? these are the same people who rip all these "mainstream" bands but god forbid Pearl Jam does it and its freakin groundbreaking

lets get real they are chasing the dollar they arent worried about progression anymore...i mean c'mon a Target deal? Virgin Mobile?
    +1

don't forget the verizon deal last year or the big screens at the concerts last year plugging verizon

• Options
    why do people cry so much if somebody hates a song? i swear half of these people are crying onto their keyboards as they scream that we all hate Pearl Jam and aren't real fans!

i picture half these people as the psychotic obsessive old women in the front row at concerts who wont talk to you unless your Ten Club number is in the low digits and think they're married to Eddie.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited July 2009
    MrSmith wrote:
    why do people cry so much if somebody hates a song? i swear half of these people are crying onto their keyboards as they scream that we all hate Pearl Jam and aren't real fans!

i picture half these people as the psychotic obsessive old women in the front row at concerts who wont talk to you unless your Ten Club number is in the low digits and think they're married to Eddie.
    I'm guessing because some people expect blind devotion and an absence of independent thinking...

It's funny because anyone who doesn't care for the Fixer isn't breathing down any other person's neck as to why they may like it. Haven't seen any of that yet. Yet, cop an independent (and unpopular) opinion, and watch out!
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options

Yeah, it's very clear here that when you say that "it was the 50s when they made those songs", you obviously meant that the SOUND was 1950's and you know they made those songs in the 60's. :roll: Kinda like how anytime you and metsfan say a song is not poppy to bolster your argument and everyone points out that said song is very catchy and poppy (the cure, satan's bed, etc), you immediately claim you meant only the lyrics. Or when you say Nickelback is poppy and everyone asks what you're smoking, you clarify that you mean it's mainstream and not deep enough. You're the king of the backpedal.

By all means, hate the song. But be honest about it. It's got nothing to do with selling out or not taking new directions (which this song is for PJ), or anything else... it's the fact that the song is fun and goofy, and you want your PJ as dour and angsty as it was in the 90's.
    i never said it wasn't poppy. get your fucking facts right dude. i said it was to poppy and sounds like something a top 40 band would do.

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    jwillmo wrote:
    My favorite parts where when someone kept referring to Nickelback as bubblegum. Yeah, I'm sure their "I like your pants around your feet" song would have been HUGE in the early 60s. And whoever said The Cure never wrote any poppy songs, that was funny too. And kept going back and forth - "No I meant they never wrote any poppy LYRICS!"

Worth noting that both of these were the same poster, who is clearly a musical genius. :roll:
    and you think you're one. i never said i was a musical genius. least have some balls and quote me.

It was sarcasm. And you know I never claimed any sort of musical genius either, I just said you aren't one. I'm all low brow man, give me something fun... as jack irons said "a mindless good time."
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

I'm guessing because some people expect blind devotion and an absence of independent thinking...

It's funny because anyone who doesn't care for the Fixer isn't breathing down any other person's neck as to why they may like it. Haven't seen any of that yet. Yet, cop an independent (and unpopular) opinion, and watch out!

Did you read Crazy's posts calling us all lemmings for liking a song that was obviously objectively terrible?
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

i never said it wasn't poppy. get your fucking facts right dude. i said it was to poppy and sounds like something a top 40 band would do.

You said the Cure weren't poppy. That's what I was referring to.