Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    Day two: I still love this song and I feel sorry for everyone who doesn't.
  • Options
    knik wrote:
    i hear thr fixer and got that feeling of when you feel embarrassed for someone. im sure someone will use that song on the next season of American Idol.

If the band released the song and like it, why do you feel embarrassed for them? You may want to reflect upon your own insecurities...
    Ill probably do that, I dont believe the song brought out any insecurities within myself. i wasnt embarrassed for them . thats just the only way i could descibe the feeling i felt..i said a while back that if they do something and they like then its fine by me ill still buy it. thanks for the advice though
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Day two: I still love this song and I feel sorry for everyone who doesn't.

Day two: I still hate this song and I feel sorry for everyone who doesn't.

I'm only kidding. I mean, I do think this song is horrible but it's good that everybody doesn't think that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Oy vey...one hell of a dumb thread here
  • Options
    esacks23 wrote:
    . this is the poetry of a ten year old.

Man that Eddie Vedder must be crying into his cornflakes knowing you think he's writing the poetry of a ten year old. Maybe the dude will have to go and count his gold discs, or think about having sold 60 million albums worldwide, just to cheer himself up.

Seriously, I think after 17 years of writing decent songs for us Ed deserves a little more respect and the band deserve a little more respect for this song. Not your cup of tea? FIne. Wait for the album and we'll see what it's like but don't attack your own heroes... or mine.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Seriously, I think after 17 years of writing decent songs for us Ed deserves a little more respect and the band deserve a little more respect for this song.

Why does this song deserve respect because of his past 17 years of songwriting? When Paul McCartney was putting out crappy love songs in the 80's, people didn't say "Yeah but he wrote Eleanor Rigby and Penny Lane so the "Press To Play" album deserves respect!"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    the wolf wrote:
    Songburst wrote:
    You can build a thousand bridges and suck one dick and when you die you'll be known as a cocksucker and not a bridge builder.

are you speaking from experience? ;)
    Hahaha -- not yet but life is long.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    Rage rocked shit so hard even Pearl Jam couldn't touch it...so i don't know what the fuck you're talking about!![/quote]

Anyone on the cover of a rag like SPIN isn't raging against anything, my friend...and that's okay, just don't be a pretender......

Yet you still cried uncle and switched up your avatar to something so much better....kudos!

Mad Season.YES!!!!![/quote]

don't flatter yourself dude...i change my avatar almost daily[/quote]

I was kidding, dude! ;):lol:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    has there ever been this much uproar over a song on this board?

every PJ album has a SKIP song. this one will be backspacer's :)
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    Not to mention shorter poster lines...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Are you seriously defending your claim that the Beatles released their music in the 50s?

well if you bothered to read before speaking you would of seen i corrected myself on that one....with some help from Norm.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    finally get to weigh in... been out of town for a family reunion... im diggin it... not the most profound thing theyve ever done but its fun... cant help but laugh at that little piano (?) part that leads into the bridge... sounds SO 80's... i can see the eddie money connection :lol:

but yah... good song... hopefully we get something like "immortality" on here too for a little range
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    wtf Kat/Sea!!..if you are going to lump all these threads together..don't put them in a thread with a title that mocks my original title!! WTF!! you may see at as overblown......I don't!! :x :x

this is bullshit and you know it!! :x :x

typical 10c "freedom of speech"!
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    sgossard3 wrote:
    finally get to weigh in... been out of town for a family reunion... im diggin it... not the most profound thing theyve ever done but its fun... cant help but laugh at that little piano (?) part that leads into the bridge... sounds SO 80's... i can see the eddie money connection :lol:

but yah... good song... hopefully we get something like "immortality" on here too for a little range

don't worry i think we will!
    dont get me wrong, i'm lovin' up the fixer! but i also think this album may have almost a no code-ish or yield-ish feel to it. i truly and honestly think judging by the current interviews that the fixer will definitely be the most straight forward song on the album. even got some, while just pure rock, has nice twists and turns and has a clever feel to it. we know there will certainly be some interesting ballads. in interviews everyone talks about how ed doing into the wild had a great effect on his song writing and we have also heard the end solo live. recently in a radio interview mike said the fixer is a piece of the faster stuff but theres alot of different directions here. he's also mentioned a ton of weird instruments that saw the light of day due to brendan being in the studio. i really think the fixer will be like this album's "better man". by no means an indication of what's to come on the rest of the album, but merely one little side of it. . . the one anyone can dig. especially on the radio. i think backspacer will certainly not be as straight forward as avocado or vs. i LOVE both albums, but i like this about backsapcer if true. the yield/no code type stuff is what i love best. don't let the fixer fool you! but i must say, i do love the fixer right now! i love matt's stop and starts.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Are you seriously defending your claim that the Beatles released their music in the 50s?

well if you bothered to read before speaking you would of seen i corrected myself on that one....with some help from Norm.

It's rather telling that you even needed the correction.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    wtf Kat/Sea!!..if you are going to lump all these threads together..don't put them in a thread with a title that mocks my original title!! WTF!! you may see at as overblown......I don't!! :x :x

this is bullshit and you know it!! :x :x

typical 10c "freedom of speech"!

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. And quit whining about free speech. This is a private message board, they can do what they damn well please. And your post is still here, they're just managing the board so we don't have 15 different threads by people thinking their unoriginal rants are somehow insightful.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

don't worry i think we will!
    dont get me wrong, i'm lovin' up the fixer! but i also think this album may have almost a no code-ish or yield-ish feel to it. i truly and honestly think judging by the current interviews that the fixer will definitely be the most straight forward song on the album. even got some, while just pure rock, has nice twists and turns and has a clever feel to it. we know there will certainly be some interesting ballads. in interviews everyone talks about how ed doing into the wild had a great effect on his song writing and we have also heard the end solo live. recently in a radio interview mike said the fixer is a piece of the faster stuff but theres alot of different directions here. he's also mentioned a ton of weird instruments that saw the light of day due to brendan being in the studio. i really think the fixer will be like this album's "better man". by no means an indication of what's to come on the rest of the album, but merely one little side of it. . . the one anyone can dig. especially on the radio. i think backspacer will certainly not be as straight forward as avocado or vs. i LOVE both albums, but i like this about backsapcer if true. the yield/no code type stuff is what i love best. don't let the fixer fool you! but i must say, i do love the fixer right now! i love matt's stop and starts.
    we shall see... dont think itll be much like no code based on what ive heard... but definitely a step in a better direction than avacado... still hear some self-titled in the guitar parts but obviously brendan brings something more to the table - subtle audio things and flow... they released this as the first single to get people talking (probably directed more at non-fans)... i guess at the end of the day its similar and only slightly better than "unemployable" - which doesnt say a whole lot - but its still a fun song to sing along with... i havent been able to get it out of my head - thats for sure

• Options
    ha now they are putting all the crit threads into the "overblown criticism" thread? thats awfully objective.

when do the PJ street teamers hit the streets?
  • Options
    the real question... whose gonna do that double clap i keep hearing live? :lol:

i nominate stone

itll probably go down like the "can you get to an e-bow?" thing from SVT...
    E- "can you fit in a double clap there?"
    S- "no ed, i have to PLAY GUITAR"

• Options
    Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 781
    I figured Matt wrote "The Fixer". He usually writes terrible songs.
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    i think you're kidding yourself, but i hope you are right.
  • Options
    Reno1979Reno1979 Posts: 91
    Terrible post.
  • Options
    the fixer is nowhere near terrible.
    matt is incredibly talented and writes great songs.
    and people STILLLLLLLL have not learned it is annoying when there is already 12,000 threads discussing the same thing and they obnoxiously make another one.
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I figured Matt wrote it, too, but not because I thought it was "terrible". Just the psuedo awkward beats thrown in there reminded me a lot of "In the Moonlight". Much smoother than Moonlight, though.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    Relax.. three of their best slower songs EVER will be on this album. Speed Of Sound/ Unknown Thought and The End.

I can't believe how much this thread has grown in a day!!!
    So, forgive me if the answer to my question has already been posted

Have you heard these three songs?

I remember hearing how Inside Job was supposed to be this epic song from Mike and when I heard it ...well, it was in line with my feelings as whole to the record.
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    i think you're kidding yourself, but i hope you are right.

we shall see man. i could be wrong. but i've never been even slightly disappointed with a pj album anyway, so i'm not worried. backspacer will be great.
  • Options
    i wanna hear the demo (if there is one) of him singing this one... i always like his vocals on the songs he writes (ive really only heard get right and in the moonlight)... keep on truckin matt!

• Options
    Relax.. three of their best slower songs EVER will be on this album. Speed Of Sound/ Unknown Thought and The End.

I can't believe how much this thread has grown in a day!!!
    So, forgive me if the answer to my question has already been posted

Have you heard these three songs?

I remember hearing how Inside Job was supposed to be this epic song from Mike and when I heard it ...well, it was in line with my feelings as whole to the record.

ed played them solo acoustically live on his tour. there's some pretty decent quality recordings of him playing the end around. its absolutely gorgeous. some decent one's of unthought known as well. awesome tune from what it sounds like solo. speed of sound i have not heard but i hear that there are some not so great recordings of it. but if these songs are this good with just ed playing them solo, imagine with the full band and a crisp recording!

and IMO inside job is an epic piece. especially live. wow.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i wanna hear the demo (if there is one) of him singing this one... i always like his vocals on the songs he writes (ive really only heard get right and in the moonlight)... keep on truckin matt!

love that In The Moonlight demo. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 781
    Reno1979 wrote:
    Terrible post.

Thats your opinion.
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08