Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,807
    benjs wrote:
    Sarcastic and cynical people who try and make jokes like this are so cool. :roll:
    I think the Fixer has a lot of potential regarding its power as a radio hit personally.
    I do not see the potential for The Fixer to become a radio hit....

Sarcastic and cynical???

Cmon...If you are going to be insulting and throw names around....

You can do better that that....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    LineOneMightyFineLineOneMightyFine Posts: 347
    edited July 2009
    You know, I have no problem with PJ making a pop song. But, there's something about this one that just doesn't seem right. I don't think Matt's at fault for this one either. I gotta blame Ed for this one. The lyrics are beyond syrupy. Its almost like its a joke or he'd sung the verses for his kids and thought, well this is bright and upbeat and captures how I feel about Obama too. "If you got a boo-boo, put a band-aid on it."

Maybe my real annoyance with it is that I didn't think PJ would ever make a pop song that was as bland as the stuff you hear on the radio all the time. I can only fear as to where we'll be hearing sound bytes of this song inserted into tv shows, commercials, and sporting events.

Luckily, the other songs on this album have a lot of promise. And, maybe in the context of the album this one won't be the clunker it sounds like right now.
    Post edited by LineOneMightyFine on
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    benjs wrote:
    You know, some would classify the early Beatles material as bubblegum pop music for its time.. and yes, I love that. So I suppose you could say that I do like bubblegum pop music. In any case, I do like the Fixer. People are mislabeling the song as 'simple' when it's really minimalist in my opinion.

dude...i love the beatles..born and raised around their music...but that was the '50s when they made those songs! and it was "new" at the time...this is 2000 and fucking 9!!!...not the the same at all!
    The Beatles are from the 50s? I really need to brush up on my rock history, I have been misinformed.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,492
    If anyone likes wishlist but hates the fixer, there is a problem. :lol:

I wish I was the sentimental ornament you hung on
    the christmas tree, I wish I was the star that went on top.

I wish I was the full moon shining of a camaro's hood.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    [
    Sarcastic and cynical people who try and make jokes like this are so cool. :roll:
    I think the Fixer has a lot of potential regarding its power as a radio hit personally.

i don't think he was being sarcastic or cynical ....in all honesty..i kinda feel the same way.
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    If anyone likes wishlist but hates the fixer, there is a problem. :lol:

I wish I was the sentimental ornament you hung on
    the christmas tree, I wish I was the star that went on top.

I wish I was the full moon shining of a camaro's hood.
    When something’s broke I wanna put a bit of fixin on it
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    benjs wrote:
    You know, some would classify the early Beatles material as bubblegum pop music for its time.. and yes, I love that. So I suppose you could say that I do like bubblegum pop music. In any case, I do like the Fixer. People are mislabeling the song as 'simple' when it's really minimalist in my opinion.

dude...i love the beatles..born and raised around their music...but that was the '50s when they made those songs! and it was "new" at the time...this is 2000 and fucking 9!!!...not the the same at all!
    The Beatles are from the 50s? I really need to brush up on my rock history, I have been misinformed.

it's ok...keep reading the thread and you'll learn plenty...will the mo...or is it just willmo?
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    [

i don't think he was being sarcastic or cynical ....in all honesty..i kinda feel the same way.
    I would LOVE to see Pearl Jam have a radio hit....and have that one song bring them back in to the mainstream.....I would love to see them make a comeback...so to speak....like Green Day had with American Idiot....

But I just dont see it happening with The Fixer.....

What type of music fan is The Fixer going to appeal to???

12-17 year olds??? Maybe.....but I dont see it

17-25 year olds??? I just dont see it...

Green Day and American Idiot......Was just pretty good catchy music.....radio friendly......put out at a time where young kids were pissed off at the american government and it was "cool" to hate your country...right???

What better music to listen to than something called "American Idiot"........right????

And again....Green day has always put out catch little radio friendly songs.......
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:

it's ok...keep reading the thread and you'll learn plenty...will the mo...or is it just willmo?
    :) It's funny, this thread itself is kinda like a bubblegum pop song. Completely frivolous but damn entertaining.
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    In McCready's interview he said that Matt wrote it not Ed. Regardless, if you can't picture yourself singing "Fight to get it back again, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" in concert when Ed points the mic out to us...you're crazy! This song, as much as some of you may not like, it will be kick ass live IMO ;)
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,186
    Don't automatically assume the album will be trash because of The Fixer! Even if you don't like Got Some as well; what you need to listen (or at least read the lyrics for) is The End. The End is absolutely amazing. If you like Inside Job, at least the intensity and meaning of it, you'll like The End. Unknown Thought is an excellent song as well; if you're disappointed about The Fixer, find either or both of these songs (or at least read the lyrics) and you shouldn't be disappointed about Backspacer anymore.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    :) It's funny, this thread itself is kinda like a bubblegum pop song. Completely frivolous but damn entertaining.

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    coachchris wrote:
    In McCready's interview he said that Matt wrote it not Ed. Regardless, if you can't picture yourself singing "Fight to get it back again, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" in concert when Ed points the mic out to us...you're crazy! This song, as much as some of you may not like, it will be kick ass live IMO ;)

Matt wrote the music or the lyrics or both? Can anyone confirm this?
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    benjs wrote:
    I do not see the potential for The Fixer to become a radio hit....

Sarcastic and cynical???

Cmon...If you are going to be insulting and throw names around....

You can do better that that....
    Come on ... this album, this will be the album that brings PJ back to the masses. Where the hell is my sarcastica font?
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    ejny wrote:
    coachchris wrote:

Listen to the interview posted about two threads above this one....you can confirm it for yourself :lol:
  • Options
    And again....Green day has always put out catch little radio friendly songs.......

i wouldn't go as far to say they "always put out catch little radio friendly songs"...they started off very punk and not too radio friendly.
  • Options
    ejny wrote:
    coachchris wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104473

Take a listen.
  • Options
    coachchris wrote:
    ejny wrote:
    coachchris wrote:

Listen to the interview posted about two threads above this one....you can confirm it for yourself :lol:

Exactly what I thought. Matt's music. Ed's lyrics. Therefore, Ed's failure IMO.
  • Options

i wouldn't go as far to say they "always put out catch little radio friendly songs"...they started off very punk and not too radio friendly.
    I dont know....Right after they signed with a major label they released Kerplunk....right???

She
    Wecome to Paradise
    2,000 light years away....

all radio friendly......
  • Options

Really? Other than the obvious change in production values, I don't hear a whole lotta differences between the stuff on 1,000 Hours or 39/Smooth and their later more popular stuff. They've always been on the pop side of punk, IMO.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    all these years i thought the beatles were from the 60's

huh...you learn something new every day
  • Options
    U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
    edited July 2009
    norm wrote:
    all these years i thought the beatles were from the 60's

huh...you learn something new every day

dammit Norm!...yeah..ok..fine...they formed in 1960..but their sound was still 1950s! :mrgreen:

caddyshack.jpg
    Post edited by U R A Crazy Breed on
  • Options
    I love that Pearl Jam wrote a poppy, upbeat song - I just wish it wasn't a fairly mediocre poppy, upbeat song, 'sall.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    I don't....that's why i was a fan to begin with!!....i like shit with layers/depth...i hear Fixer and i feel like they are chasing the top 40.....I'm not totally bashing it but it's just...no right...don't feel like PJ to me either...sounds like an Eddie Money song to me, music wise...this is the same band that gave us immortality?...sorry but at this stage in their careers i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type..progressive, groundbreaking deep shit...it's like they are regressing with this song! I mean Bigwave was the same almost...but at least Ed surfs :mrgreen: ...whatever....i like Got some....can't wait to see what the rest of the album has to offer.

all i know is mad people seem to be really into it and yet Binaural gets no love..not like it should...so maybe I'm just a different breed.

Agree 100%. To quote my wife, "It sounds like Daughtry."
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    Bugs29Bugs29 Posts: 96
    RM181658 wrote:
    I went rollerblading for 50 minutes and the entire i had this stuck in my head: yeah yeah yeah yeah....fight to get it back again...yeah yeah yeah.....that's all the proof i need...

really??...you mean "yeah yeah yeah" was stuck in your head...so that means it MUST be a great song..fuck..who knew all i needed was some rollerblades to change my mind....i guess that's all the proof that i need! ;) :P :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

haha, i meant it differently but thats funny......I meant to say, that any song that sticks in my head for that long is a catchy song which doesn't necessarily mean it's a good song...i never said The Fixer was a good song
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    matty456 wrote:
    slip on a set of headphones....close your eyes...and appreciate the fact that in this day and age we are fortunate enough to have the music to help us forget about the world of shit we have been in for the past....however long. I'm happy with it.

my thoughts , on the spot. nice first post. welcome to the madness.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    RM181658 wrote:
    i never said The Fixer was a good song

ok...you're right...i'm sorry. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    zolstice wrote:
    The first time I listened to the The Fixer on Myspace, I wasn't blown away by it. It really didn't register with me much at all. But then 10 minutes later I was driving in my car and it came on the radio, and I found myself cranking it up and singing along. This is definitely a summer time car driving song, and I have absolutely no problem with that.

the cranking it up while driving in the car test works
  • Options
    heyhey Posts: 33
    The lyrics are too simple boo hoo

!!!!! Its over produced!!! boo hoo. Oh my god the song sounds like the guy who produced it actually knows what he is doing. Its too poppy!!! You know what, pearl jam always tries different things and this time this is what they tried. Its a good song. I've been a fan of PJ for a long time and you know why? Because this band knows what they are doing and always has. You know a band like Tool! We all know how they are and how they operate! I like tool but I don't really like the fact that they take years and years and years and years to put out new material. Maybe PJ is just joining the rest of the music community and not distancing themselves anymore. And there is nothing wrong with that. So too all you people who don't like the song, you are allowed to have your opinion, but I just do not think you really know what you are talking about. Matt wrote the song remember that. That is how this band operates now-a-days. So we get a little taste of everyones styles. If they didn't do it like this pj probably would have been gone back in 1995.
  • Options
    im digging it, its a little light and poppy but i think its a good, it has a betterman feel to it for some reason for me. Everyone likes to over analyze everything