Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    Kanye EastKanye East Posts: 781
    the fixer is nowhere near terrible.
    matt is incredibly talented and writes great songs.
    and people STILLLLLLLL have not learned it is annoying when there is already 12,000 threads discussing the same thing and they obnoxiously make another one.

In case you havent noticed, this is a message board. Thats what people do!!
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    haha...yeah
    I saw them open with Inside Job in Vegas and it was AWESOME!

Well, glad to hear you've heard the songs and enjoyed them.

One of my buddies had a great point...
    He said to me...think a few tours down the road...I bet you will be excited to get a WWS...haha

That being said, can't wait for the LA and SD shows!!!!!! Give me some truth!!!
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I remember hearing how Inside Job was supposed to be this epic song from Mike
    i think people are still convinced this is true :roll:
    Have you heard these three songs?
    all 3 of those were played solo by ed right? not that thats necessarily indicative of what the songs will be like as a full band... but they were pretty good... not "3 of their best songs ever"... but good... ill wait to judge
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    sgossard3 wrote:
    I remember hearing how Inside Job was supposed to be this epic song from Mike
    i think people are still convinced this is true :roll:
    all 3 of those were played solo by ed right? not that thats necessarily indicative of what the songs will be like as a full band... but they were pretty good... not "3 of their best songs ever"... but good... ill wait to judge

i agree with you on the full band thing and on not necessarily judging now. however, if the end and unthought known are done right with the band i can already see potential in them for being absolutely amazing.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

I remember hearing a solo Gone at the Borgata in AC....
    I thought it was really good, but felt differently when I heard the record.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

I remember hearing a solo Gone at the Borgata in AC....
    I thought it was really good, but felt differently when I heard the record.
    yah i wasnt crazy about gone in general... but youre right, the full band version didnt really add much to what was already there

we shall see...

busy busy

• Options

we shall see man. i could be wrong. but i've never been even slightly disappointed with a pj album anyway, so i'm not worried. backspacer will be great.
    at this point i figure my reaction will be about the same as their last three albums: i'll like a couple of songs right away, learn to love a couple more, and scrap the rest. My days of loving whole PJ albums are probably over, but thats a crazy expectation anyway! for a second after hearing Got Some, i thought maybe, just maybe, this album will blow me away. The Fixer kinda brought me back down to reality, but new PJ albums are never a bad thing.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    MrSmith wrote:
    at this point i figure my reaction will be about the same as their last three albums: i'll like a couple of songs right away, learn to love a couple more, and scrap the rest. My days of loving whole PJ albums are probably over, but thats a crazy expectation anyway! for a second after hearing Got Some, i thought maybe, just maybe, this album will blow me away. The Fixer kinda brought me back down to reality, but new PJ albums are never a bad thing.

Ditto for me.....word for word.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    For what it's worth I like it. Many songs have grown on me over the years and it may flow very well with the other songs on the album. Until I hear the entire thing I can't say but it's upbeat and light. One thing for sure I didn't hear a "poppy" sound. Hell, from what I read on here I was expecting something awful with vocoders while Ed's rapping the rhyme. :lol: When any of you musical afficionados, dogging it in detail and calling anyone who likes it stupid or tasteless, sell as many platinum albums as they have, then someone may respect your ramblings, until then you're just another asshole with an opinion like the rest of us.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    I like it, it has grown on me, especially when I was able to listen to it with the volume up in my car. My final judgement on any song is determined after blasting it in my car.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • Options
    It's rather telling that you even needed the correction.

yeah..the correction was that the Beatles formed in 1960 but their sound was still 1950s...that is soooooo telling Mr.Omnipotent one.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. And quit whining about free speech. This is a private message board, they can do what they damn well please. And your post is still here, they're just managing the board so we don't have 15 different threads by people thinking their unoriginal rants are somehow insightful.

My post said Kat/Sea....you Kat or Sea?......and i don't give a fuck what you think!...taking all the threads with negative things to say about the song and putting them under the tittle of "Overblown Criticism of The Fixer" is fucking bullshit....gee..lets see them put all the positive threads into one and call it "Overblown enthusiasm of the fixer"
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    Is it me? I'm not not seeing the mass amounts of criticism as everyone is stating....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    My post said Kat/Sea....you Kat or Sea?......and i don't give a fuck what you think!...taking all the threads with negative things to say about the song and putting them under the tittle of "Overblown Criticism of The Fixer" is fucking bullshit....gee..lets see them put all the positive threads into one and call it "Overblown enthusiasm of the fixer"

it really makes the site look bad. like the band cant take criticism. Reminds me of Chris Cornell's site going on a delete spree when his last album came out. its just unprofessional.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Relax.. three of their best slower songs EVER will be on this album. Speed Of Sound/ Unknown Thought and The End.

I can't believe how much this thread has grown in a day!!!
    So, forgive me if the answer to my question has already been posted

I remember hearing how Inside Job was supposed to be this epic song from Mike and when I heard it ...well, it was in line with my feelings as whole to the record.

Hey Talk of Circles! I like your avatar! are you new here?

The end is really going to be a great song but hey....I really like the Fixer :roll:
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Just wanted to point out that they have locked some threads that were overly defensive of The Fixer and spiteful in nature to those who dislike the song.....

Nothing wrong w/ saying you don't like the song, but you must admit a lot of the criticism was reaching dramatic heights
  • Options

The end is really going to be a great song but hey....I really like the Fixer :roll:

I am new, Mr. Gardenparty! Thanks for the kudos on the avatar.
    I see you live in Hermosa. Will you be attending any of the SoCal shows??? :lol:
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908

I am new, Mr. Gardenparty! Thanks for the kudos on the avatar.
    I see you live in Hermosa. Will you be attending any of the SoCal shows??? :lol:

Yeah, going to hit up all 5 in Socal! Looking to get some pre party festivities going. Maybe even a weekend event in the South Bay. We shall see.

Welcome aboard though!!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    It's rather telling that you even needed the correction.

yeah..the correction was that the Beatles formed in 1960 but their sound was still 1950s...that is soooooo telling Mr.Omnipotent one.
    Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. And quit whining about free speech. This is a private message board, they can do what they damn well please. And your post is still here, they're just managing the board so we don't have 15 different threads by people thinking their unoriginal rants are somehow insightful.

Yes, it is telling that you act like you know what you're talking about, yet are so ignorant of music history that you didn't even know what era the Beatles, the biggest band in rock history, played music in. Add that to the people claiming Nickelback is poppy and the Cure weren't, and you've got a lot of people condemning this one song with some absurd accusations that are unfounded and they they are clearly not qualified or informed enough to make. It's one thing to say the song sucks, another to rant against pop music without any apparent grasp of what pop music is or means.

And Kat/Sea made a sticky saying they were consolidating repetitive threads to save space. They didn't make this thread or name it, they just consolidated all the whining threads into an already created thread on the same subject. I suspect they didn't even read the thread, just saw the subject and picked it to be the home for all the complaints. They did the same to all the threads praising it. It's not that big a deal. Personally, I'm happy that they did, because it was getting a bit tiring that every self-important moron on the internet felt that their thoughts were so incredible and insightful that they needed to make a brand new thread to get attention... and that goes for those criticizing AND praising the song. It was unnecessary.
  • Options
    There are some wack jobs out there. Beatles from the 50's?! :lol::lol::lol:

Hilarious, now I can easily ignore the future idiocy of one poster, acting like Pearl Jam is out to get them or something.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    It's a decent song...................for the first 17 seconds. :|
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

Here...I'll hand you a tissue....
  • Options

Yes, it is telling that you act like you know what you're talking about, yet are so ignorant of music history that you didn't even know what era the Beatles, the biggest band in rock history, played music in. Add that to the people claiming Nickelback is poppy and the Cure weren't, and you've got a lot of people condemning this one song with some absurd accusations that are unfounded and they they are clearly not qualified or informed enough to make. It's one thing to say the song sucks, another to rant against pop music without any apparent grasp of what pop music is or means.

And Kat/Sea made a sticky saying they were consolidating repetitive threads to save space. They didn't make this thread or name it, they just consolidated all the whining threads into an already created thread on the same subject. I suspect they didn't even read the thread, just saw the subject and picked it to be the home for all the complaints. They did the same to all the threads praising it. It's not that big a deal. Personally, I'm happy that they did, because it was getting a bit tiring that every self-important moron on the internet felt that their thoughts were so incredible and insightful that they needed to make a brand new thread to get attention... and that goes for those criticizing AND praising the song. It was unnecessary.

i am willing to bet i know much more about musical history than you....i know plenty about the Beatles..my dad was a musician and i was born & raised on music, and the Beatles just happened to be his favorite band..i was talking about the early pop SOUND of the Beatles being a sound of the 50s ...and again, i don't give a fuck what you think about repetitive threads...if you have such a problem with them why is your ass always posting up in them?

and your comment about self-important morons...ya need to stop calling the kettle black there pot.
  • Options
    Your dad was a drummer? Well, why didn't you say that before. Now I know to take all your panty bunching seriously. :roll:
  • Options
    Your dad was a drummer? Well, why didn't you say that before. Now I know to take all your panty bunching seriously. :roll:
    hey now... drummers have some strong arms... his dad could probably beat up your dad :D

music is entirely subjective gang! i dont care if someone here writes for rolling stone or pitchfork (actually i do care about pitchfork - fuck you hipster!) or is just a know-it-all blogger... were all entitled to our opinions... lets stay positive and give this song a fair shake... definitely has its faults and merits

i bet theres a lot of PJ songs we wouldnt like if we hadnt heard them in the context of the entire album... thats my main thing right now...

my main complaint is probably that this songs structure and timing is SO TAME for something written by matt... hes usually pretty clever with his stuff

• Options

no..he was lead singer and played a few instruments as well....and i could care less what you take serious.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hey now... drummers have some strong arms... his dad could probably beat up your dad :D

beating up his dad is the easy part...getting him to admit that he IS his dad is the hard part.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

beating up his dad is the easy part...getting him to admit that he IS his dad is the hard part.
    time traveling mother seduction / self-fathering is getting a little off topic and boggles my mind :shock:

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    This thread should be merged with the "We who don't like The Fixer (but love PJ)!" thread. What's with this title. Overblown Criticism of The Fixer? What's overblown about it?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    so my wife took my daughter to see Green Day last night at the Garden in Boston and she said that they were amazing..she said....*Shudder* they blew away Pearl Jam*Shudder*!!!..now my wife is a huge PJ fan and has been to at least 7 shows with me......i was considering a divorce! :mrgreen: ....but Green Day is a very solid band and they are making some very political statements on this tour, far beyond anything Ed has done..which i'm all for....but after hearing the fixer it's hard for me to be a holier than thou PJ fan! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: (even though there is no fucking way Green Day blows them away....sorry honey...you may have to stay at your mothers for a while :lol: )
    I'm checking out Green Day on Saturday.
    I'll have to see if they compare. I know they'll be great, but compare with PJ live? Interesting. And I love all that political ranting...