Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    Nickelback? When has Nickelback ever released anything that sounds remotely like this? If anything, they sound closer to Ten than The Fixer. Don't get me wrong, I detest Nickelback, but that's an absurd comparison.

Because everything poppy sounds like Nickelback. Don't you know that by now?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    hey...whipping..Satan's bed....hail hail...save you...all upbeat fast tunes...not one of them sounds "poppy"

Are you kidding?

'Already! In Love!' how is that not a poppy chorus?

who made, who made up, made up the myth
    that we were born to be covered in bliss?
    who set the standard, born to be rich?
    such fine examples, skinny little bitch
    model, role model, roll some models in blood
    get some flesh to stick, so they look like us
    i shit and i stink, i'm real, join the club
    i'd stop and talk, but i'm already in love

hahahahaha....yeah...that's so poppy :roll: :lol:

and musically it rocks the shit out of the fixer...that's the biggest part...it's like..where the fuck is Mike in this song?(fixer)

What is it with all you people refusing to believe that something can SOUND poppy and still have dark lyrics? Satan's Bed sounds poppy, period. The fact that the lyrics are a little fucked up doesn't change the way the music sounds. So is your problem the music or the lyrics?
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    ???
    Sorry, bad quote. IPhone.
    haha, no worries

least you can quote on your iphone. i can't quote more then 1 person on my blackberry.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    PJammin' wrote:
    this just in...bubblegummer britney spears to open for pearl jam at the spectrum. FACT.

This just in... soulsinging will be going to the bathroom a few times during the opening set, but not for the 'piss break' everyone around here loves so much.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    metsfan wrote:

"I’ll say your prayers I’ll take your side
    I’ll burn as a way to make light
    I’ll dig your grave
    We'll dance and sing
    What’s saved could be
    One last lifetime"

Those aren't bad lyrics.. the begining starts off perhaps as through the perspective of a happy child.
    agreed up until those lyrics its all happy and stuff. i dont know i guess i wasn't expecting a top 40 pop hit where 12-16 year olds will go buy cd at there local target. i was expecting something along a combination of yield/no code/self titled
    Have you even heard the other 4 songs out there?
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,695
    Umm...Pretty much every Pearl Jam single has had to grow on me.

"Go" was even a vast departure from the sound of the Ten album.

"Courdory" was kind of a what the fuck is this kind of moment .

Don't even get me started on "Who You Are"

So to answer your question.....No I don't really remember a time when pj songs didn't have to grow on me.

I think that is required of good art.
    It's meant to take you out of your comfort zone and be a little unfamiliar at first.
  • Options

What is it with all you people refusing to believe that something can SOUND poppy and still have dark lyrics? Satan's Bed sounds poppy, period. The fact that the lyrics are a little fucked up doesn't change the way the music sounds. So is your problem the music or the lyrics?
    its just the overall vibe of this. it screams top 40 and target commerical.

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i just don't expect this type of shit from them

ah but isn't that was no code (using your example) was...something unexpected?

if you don't like it...fine...but shouldn't you pass judgement after you've heard it in the context of the album? many times i've heard a single from a new album (by any band) and didn't think much of it...then i heard the album and totally got it

all i'm saying is give it a chance before passing final judgement
  • Options
    the only album I totally fell in love with immediately was YIELD

I like 99.95% of Pearl Jam songs, too..............
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    nope i haven't and wont till i get the new cd. i like to listen to the songs as a whole.

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Most of No Code is still growing on me to this day. I recognize the greatness, but I don't listen to it all that much.

YIELD never had to.

Binaural did - but I love it now and it was the 2000 boots that did that.

Riot Act - Never grew, never will

Avocado - Loved from the start and still do

Backspacer - We'll see.

That was rambling, but everything post Vitalogy has had such a different effect on me and everyone else here.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    i just don't expect this type of shit from them

ah but isn't that was no code (using your example) was...something unexpected?

if you don't like it...fine...but shouldn't you pass judgement after you've heard it in the context of the album? many times i've heard a single from a new album (by any band) and didn't think much of it...then i heard the album and totally got it

all i'm saying is give it a chance before passing final judgement

Word to yer mother

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104262&start=60
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Well, we knew there'd be a Target commercial months ago, so what's so new and upsetting about that? And why is the prospect of them cracking the top 40 so awful to everyone? They walked home with armloads of MTV awards back in the day... the definition of mainstream appeal. And almost all their albums debut in the billboard top 10.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    PJammin' wrote:
    this just in...bubblegummer britney spears to open for pearl jam at the spectrum. FACT.

This just in... soulsinging will be going to the bathroom a few times during the opening set, but not for the 'piss break' everyone around here loves so much.

:lol::mrgreen:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    nope i haven't and wont till i get the new cd. i like to listen to the songs as a whole.
    Three of their best slower songs written to date. Don't worry.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    metsfan wrote:

By that reasoning, you shouldn't be listening to the Fixer or Got Some either ;)
    NERDS!
  • Options

well i have heard betterman on top 40 radio but never Satan's bed...and the music is more raw...not studio refined nonabrasive conformity like the fixer sounds to me...and I'm talking music..not that the lyrics are Ed's best...and it's only one song...i don't own the album so i have no opinion or preconceived notion of what is to come..even after hearing Ed do a few new songs...I'll wait till i hear the full band versions.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Three of their best slower songs written to date. Don't worry.

you're assuming they're slow...perhaps ed slowed them down for his solo shows
  • Options
    Well, we knew there'd be a Target commercial months ago, so what's so new and upsetting about that? And why is the prospect of them cracking the top 40 so awful to everyone? They walked home with armloads of MTV awards back in the day... the definition of mainstream appeal. And almost all their albums debut in the billboard top 10.
    cause for years and years they said a big fuck you to the mainstream(radio, 12-16 year olds and everything else mainstream related). it just seems like there turning into the very thing they said fuck you to all these years.

• Options

georgecut.jpg:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    you're assuming they're slow...perhaps ed slowed them down for his solo shows
    True.. if anything else, POWERFUL lyrics.
  • Options

georgecut.jpg:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nice one, but your avatar still makes me wanna fuckin' puke

Rage With The Machine................eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :roll:
  • Options

By that reasoning, you shouldn't be listening to the Fixer or Got Some either ;)
    yea well i had to see what the board was drooling over.

• Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    SM60026 wrote:
    i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type

Dude, I'm not trying to be a jerk I swear, but how is going back and recording music like they already recorded "forward progression?"

I don't think we've heard a song quite like "The Fixer" from PJ before, and I am freaking stoked about hearing something new. There's nothing wrong with a little Pop as long as it's done well, and this song is done WELL.

Just my thoughts...

\S/
    I think he meant in the general spirit of No Code, which was a complete and total break from their previous sound.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,772
    by itself, it sounds radio-friendly
    as part of the next album, I'm sure it won't strike as much a chord in the haters.

but, if it does piss off some of the fans here, we can only hope our 10C numbers get us closer to the stage when they leave us... :twisted:

and besides, I'm not gonna judge it until I hear it live.
  • Options

Nice one, but your avatar still makes me wanna fuckin' puke

Rage With The Machine................eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :roll:

Rage rocked shit so hard even Pearl Jam couldn't touch it...so i don't know what the fuck you're talking about!!
  • Options
    tschav wrote:

but, if it does piss off some of the fans here, we can only hope our 10C numbers get us closer to the stage when they leave us... :twisted:

if i had a fucking dollar for every time i heard that i could hire the band to play at my house...then i'd tell Ed as he wrote the set list..."no fixer please" :twisted: :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    PJammin' wrote:

A W E S O M E!!!!

HA-HA-HE-HE-HA-HA-HO!

p.s. the fixer is radical

and so is got some

cant wait to see amy, i mean britney, I MEAN EDDIE...

*wWHEEEWw*
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    metsfan wrote:

OMG, this has got to be the first time you and I are in agreement.

All those times some people got on me about disagreeing with the Target partnership, people defending the band for trying to reach a new audience...and now that those some realize it's top 40 pop PJ is entering into, people are all of a sudden up in arms... How else is the band supposed to entice the teen generation? They've got to compete with the Jonas Bros!!
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

OMG, this has got to be the first time you and I are in agreement.

All those times people got on me about disagreeing with Target and defending the band for trying to reach a new audience...and now that some realize it's top 40 pop PJ is entering into, people are all of a sudden up in arms... How else is the band supposed to entice the teen generation? They've got to compete with the Jonas Bros!!

jeanwah i've always respected your opinion and can understand why you feel a bit of disillusion with the perceived direction the might might be taking but tell me you didn't just compare pearl jam to the jonas brothers?

i mean i know you're pissed but c'mon :mrgreen: