Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    MrSmith wrote:
    why do people cry so much if somebody hates a song? i swear half of these people are crying onto their keyboards as they scream that we all hate Pearl Jam and aren't real fans!

I couldn't care less if people don't like the song. I loathe most of RA and people thing I'm a downer for it. What I react to is pretension. That Pitchfork-blowing, indie record shop posing attitude some people have that if anything has a shred of melody, catchiness, or broad appeal, it is obviously inferior music for mindless drones. That's what annoys me. It's like the scene in Almost Famous where the David Bowie fan is trying to play it cool like he's all above the sheep, talking about Bowie's new music being lame music for the masses before squealing like a 10-year old girl once he actually sees the guy. That's how I perceive the hipsters... I'm way too cool to like anything remotely popular or catchy, you won't recognize any of my music because I'm so hip and underground and alternative and not mainstream, and this new song is SO top 40 and lame and... OMG it's EDDIE!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    metsfan wrote:

Yeah, it's very clear here that when you say that "it was the 50s when they made those songs", you obviously meant that the SOUND was 1950's and you know they made those songs in the 60's. :roll: Kinda like how anytime you and metsfan say a song is not poppy to bolster your argument and everyone points out that said song is very catchy and poppy (the cure, satan's bed, etc), you immediately claim you meant only the lyrics. Or when you say Nickelback is poppy and everyone asks what you're smoking, you clarify that you mean it's mainstream and not deep enough. You're the king of the backpedal.

By all means, hate the song. But be honest about it. It's got nothing to do with selling out or not taking new directions (which this song is for PJ), or anything else... it's the fact that the song is fun and goofy, and you want your PJ as dour and angsty as it was in the 90's.
    i never said it wasn't poppy. get your fucking facts right dude. i said it was to poppy and sounds like something a top 40 band would do.

You said the Cure weren't poppy. That's what I was referring to.
    there lyrics weren't poppy. if the lyrics were poppy we wouldn't have so many emo bands wearing guyliner and lipstick.

yesterday i got so old
    i felt like i could die
    yesterday i got so old
    it made me want to cry
    go on go on
    just walk away
    go on go on
    your choice is made
    go on go on
    and disappear
    go on go on
    away from here

this to me isn't poppy/upbeat. sounds like a dude who lost his gf and is crying.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options

It was sarcasm. And you know I never claimed any sort of musical genius either, I just said you aren't one. I'm all low brow man, give me something fun... as jack irons said "a mindless good time."
    well how am i supposed to know its sarcasm. fuckeyes suck, :lol:.

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Jeanwah wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    why do people cry so much if somebody hates a song? i swear half of these people are crying onto their keyboards as they scream that we all hate Pearl Jam and aren't real fans!

i picture half these people as the psychotic obsessive old women in the front row at concerts who wont talk to you unless your Ten Club number is in the low digits and think they're married to Eddie.
    I'm guessing because some people expect blind devotion and an absence of independent thinking...

It's funny because anyone who doesn't care for the Fixer isn't breathing down any other person's neck as to why they may like it. Haven't seen any of that yet. Yet, cop an independent (and unpopular) opinion, and watch out!

Did you read Crazy's posts calling us all lemmings for liking a song that was obviously objectively terrible?
    Oh. yeah. right. Ok, a couple people dissing the likers vs. a majority telling those not impressed to leave or that we're not real fans because we don't love the new single?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    MrSmith wrote:

I couldn't care less if people don't like the song. I loathe most of RA and people thing I'm a downer for it. What I react to is pretension. That Pitchfork-blowing, indie record shop posing attitude some people have that if anything has a shred of melody, catchiness, or broad appeal, it is obviously inferior music for mindless drones. That's what annoys me. It's like the scene in Almost Famous where the David Bowie fan is trying to play it cool like he's all above the sheep, talking about Bowie's new music being lame music for the masses before squealing like a 10-year old girl once he actually sees the guy. That's how I perceive the hipsters... I'm way too cool to like anything remotely popular or catchy, you won't recognize any of my music because I'm so hip and underground and alternative and not mainstream, and this new song is SO top 40 and lame and... OMG it's EDDIE!

I'm just gonna keep pasting this every time I see this type of post:
    it's not that we don't like it because of any pre-conceived notion of what a Pearl Jam song should be or because we're too pretentious to enjoy a "fun and goofy" song, we just think it's a bad song.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

Did you read Crazy's posts calling us all lemmings for liking a song that was obviously objectively terrible?
    Oh. yeah. right. Ok, a couple people dissing the likers vs. a majority telling those not impressed to leave or that we're not real fans because we don't love the new single?
    nice post, :lol:.

• Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I'm guessing because some people expect blind devotion and an absence of independent thinking...

It's funny because anyone who doesn't care for the Fixer isn't breathing down any other person's neck as to why they may like it. Haven't seen any of that yet. Yet, cop an independent (and unpopular) opinion, and watch out!

I've certainly never told anyone to leave or said they're not a real fan. I've had a lot of people tell me that when I'm dissing on Riot Act though.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    there lyrics weren't poppy. if the lyrics were poppy we wouldn't have so many emo bands wearing guyliner and lipstick.

yesterday i got so old
    i felt like i could die
    yesterday i got so old
    it made me want to cry
    go on go on
    just walk away
    go on go on
    your choice is made
    go on go on
    and disappear
    go on go on
    away from here

this to me isn't poppy/upbeat. sounds like a dude who lost his gf and is crying.

That was my point. You said they weren't poppy, people pointed out that they clearly were, and you suddenly changed your tune to "the lyrics aren't poppy" by citing one song (this is the same one it was then). And other have posted a number of Cure songs that are very poppy and have upbeat lyrics, as if that matters. Because lyrics don't. Britney Spears' first hit was about how lonely she was... I rather doubt you'd say that song was not poppy. A number of huge pop hits in the last few years have been about no more than doing drugs and killing people... still pop. Lyrics are meaningless when discussing whether or not a song is poppy.
  • Options
    it's not that we don't like it because of any pre-conceived notion of what a Pearl Jam song should be or because we're too pretentious to enjoy a "fun and goofy" song, we just think it's a bad song.

That may be all well and good for you, but given that the thread that started all this was whining about how the song is too "bubblegum" and the other half of the tag team has spent pages complaining that it sounds too top 40 and mainstream, you'll forgive me for getting the impression that the dislike from many has more to do with what I described than it does for you.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That may be all well and good for you, but given that the thread that started all this was whining about how the song is too "bubblegum" and the other half of the tag team has spent pages complaining that it sounds too top 40 and mainstream, you'll forgive me for getting the impression that the dislike from many has more to do with what I described than it does for you.
    i'm not some pretentious music genius or a hipster know it all. to me it sucks cause its such a poppy song and not something i expect from a band that for many years turned there back on top 40 and mainstream(12-17 year olds). i love this band but that doesn't mean i'm gonna be a fucking sheep and like everything the band does or puts out. people can go right ahead an enjoy a song that will bring the younger crowd like green days last 2 cd's did. maybe now pj can finally officially sell-out an arena.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on

• Options
    ReachingForThinAirReachingForThinAir Posts: 184
    edited July 2009
    here's something i know....

i have turned on people to this. (mostly on my Amsterdam board)
    they were always.. too much head-banging, too hard.. THIS!
    they love it. Don't know what that means lol.

i love it. Rockin' and sweet. (ps. i still love me some head-banging, and always loved a sweet-ass song too)

at :16 on the cassette player, Stoney takes the riff upward and it is cool.

just try not to eat your words, i guess.. cuz it has a riff that can sneak its way inta ya.

(edit: oh love me some serious balladic wordy shit too)
    Post edited by ReachingForThinAir on
    WOOT!
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

i'm not some pretentious music genius or a hipster know it all. to me it sucks cause its such a poppy song and not something i expect from a band that many years turned there back on top 40 and mainstream(12-17 year olds). i love this band but that doesn't mean i'm gonna be a fucking sheep and like everything the band does or puts out. people can go right ahead and enjoy a song that will bring the younger crowd like green days last 2 cd's

I rest my case.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    metsfan wrote:

yesterday i got so old
    i felt like i could die
    yesterday i got so old
    it made me want to cry
    go on go on
    just walk away
    go on go on
    your choice is made
    go on go on
    and disappear
    go on go on
    away from here

That was my point. You said they weren't poppy, people pointed out that they clearly were, and you suddenly changed your tune to "the lyrics aren't poppy" by citing one song (this is the same one it was then). And other have posted a number of Cure songs that are very poppy and have upbeat lyrics, as if that matters. Because lyrics don't. Britney Spears' first hit was about how lonely she was... I rather doubt you'd say that song was not poppy. A number of huge pop hits in the last few years have been about no more than doing drugs and killing people... still pop. Lyrics are meaningless when discussing whether or not a song is poppy.

Yep, lyrics don't matter as much in terms of "Popness" IMO.
    These Cure songs are pretty poppy to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQhh4Xs8 ... re=related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORc5Td_T6og

Sometimes good musicians record music that their hardcore fans are gonna hate, that's always how it's going to be.

I wonder what the Stones or Bowie message boards would have done back in the day? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATw7HIJCuLY
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    metsfan wrote:

i'm not some pretentious music genius or a hipster know it all. to me it sucks cause its such a poppy song and not something i expect from a band that many years turned there back on top 40 and mainstream(12-17 year olds). i love this band but that doesn't mean i'm gonna be a fucking sheep and like everything the band does or puts out. people can go right ahead and enjoy a song that will bring the younger crowd like green days last 2 cd's

I rest my case.

well there's always one I guess.

Just don't lump me with in with those people. I hate The Fixer because it's a bad song, but not because it's a bad pop song.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PushinPaintPushinPaint Posts: 431
    [/quote] i'm not some pretentious music genius or a hipster know it all. to me it sucks cause its such a poppy song and not something i expect from a band that for many years turned there back on top 40 and mainstream(12-17 year olds). i love this band but that doesn't mean i'm gonna be a fucking sheep and like everything the band does or puts out. people can go right ahead an enjoy a song that will bring the younger crowd like green days last 2 cd's did. maybe now pj can finally officially sell-out an arena.[/quote]

so you dont like the song because it will bring the younger crowd in right? thats the way it sounds. it doesn't sound like you dont like it just because you DONT, but you DONT because "it will bring in the younger crowd like green days last 2 cds did." thats just the way i read that, and i believe that is the way you meant it. but that is all good and well too, part of liking or disliking a band is the perception they have to the public other than yourself.
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    The only one I loved right from the start was Avocado, which is in the middle of my top 8 1/2 PJ albums. When I used to deliver newspapers at 6 am as a youngster I had to hear all the Vs. songs multiple times on the classic rock station to realize that I liked the band, then listened to the album and only liked the radio songs. Now I like those less and enjoy the others more. It's the evolution of liking music. Now it's different as well, b/c I sit and anticipate new albums and usually try to "force" liking them at first listen. However with the two new songs that I've heard, it's taken a bit for me to like them and now I do. I guess it may be the style I listen to music.

For example one of my new favorite bands, Rise Against, had that radio song (re)education through labor, and it was on while I worked out in the gym a bunch. At first I liked it b/c of the music, then listened to what it was about, and really started liking it. Then I got into the band. For others, maybe this isn't the case, which is why everyone is having these different responses to got some and the fixer.
  • Options
    remember back in '73 when Houses of the Holy sucked bollards?

grew on me like an appendage it did.

it is brill, i was just keeping their first 4 albums in my head.

i grew with them.
    WOOT!
  • Options

so you dont like the song because it will bring the younger crowd in right? thats the way it sounds. it doesn't sound like you dont like it just because you DONT, but you DONT because "it will bring in the younger crowd like green days last 2 cds did." thats just the way i read that, and i believe that is the way you meant it. but that is all good and well too, part of liking or disliking a band is the perception they have to the public other than yourself.
    i dont like it cause i just dont. i bought reasons as to why, rather then just spouting out bs like alota people do when they wanna make a point. yes i know what perception is all bout. to me the perception is a few jean jacket old wearing dudes appealing to the mass and cashing in one final time before they become like aerosmith or the who or other old bands. i'm sure i will love backspacer. there hasn't been a o'brien produced cd that i haven't hated yet.

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

i dont like it cause i just dont. i bought reasons as to why, rather then just spouting out bs like alota people do when they wanna make a point. yes i know what perception is all bout. to me the perception is a few jean jacket old wearing dudes appealing to the mass and cashing in one final time before they become like aerosmith or the who or other old bands. i'm sure i will love backspacer. there hasn't been a o'brien produced cd that i haven't hated yet.

wow did you mean that double neg? ttku.
    WOOT!
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    ive read a ton of bitching and criticism lately that i just let go by but this one is just too stupid...it just might be the single dumbest thread i have ever taken the time to click on.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    RW81233 wrote:
    ...I had to hear all the Vs. songs multiple times on the classic rock station...

Have we reached that point already? :cry:
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    Corduroy is my all-time favorite song and even that sounded strange to me upon the first few listens to Vitlogy. If Fixer doesn't do it for you, then you still got some with "Got Some"!
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    esacks23 wrote:
    yeah, think hard.. real hard. remember? sure, there's always some that don't need "growing" but there's always more that do, of late, it seems. anyway, "the fixer" can grow as tall as it wants the rest of my life, but it won't grow on me. hopefully there will be some other songs on this album that i'll like immediately... even though they're all gonna be 2.5 minute into the wild extended versions. the songs these guys are putting out these days are shorter than eddie. and i don't want to beat this into the ground, but damn, they should know better than to write and release a song with such stupid lyrics. looks like i've found another good bathroom break/beer run song... i better be quick though!!!;) hopefully they'll jam out that ridiculous fade out ending so i have time to get back to my seat for hopefully NOT "betterman".

yeah ! i remember those songs. those are the one i listen to the least now.

as others have stated, i like, no I LOVE, growing with the band. They have made me open my mind and expand myself. I'm so freakin' happy i have them to do that for me. cause not many other bands CAN do that for me.

so while you are taking your piss during The Fixer, I will be having a good time. Maybe I'll pass you on the way out when i go to take a piss during Alive, or Evenflow, or Jeremy, or..............

just because the band has GROWN beyond your limits, dont mean its not good. it is art after all.
    "subjective", such a beautiful word.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    i just realised how awesome DEEP is. tragic that its played rarely.

i think the main problem i have with Avocado is that it still hasnt grown on me at all. Even Riot Act has grown on me. S/T is just kind of whatyouheariswhatyouget. Severed Hand was the only one that immediately grabbed me, and its still the only one i listen to regularly.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    MrSmith wrote:
    i just realised how awesome DEEP is. tragic that its played rarely.

i think the main problem i have with Avocado is that it still hasnt grown on me at all. Even Riot Act has grown on me. S/T is just kind of whatyouheariswhatyouget. Severed Hand was the only one that immediately grabbed me, and its still the only one i listen to regularly.

marker in the sand? love that "what went wrong, walking tight rope high" shit gets me going !!!

gone ? "if nothing is everything, if nothing is everything i'll have it all" great lyrics.

idk, i love that album. im not bashing you in anyway at all.

for some reason those two parts of that record are just gold to me.

the lyrics on this record to me are among Ed's best IMO. and the music just sounds so decicive for the lyrics, this record makes me move my feet. and i DONT dance :lol:

to each their own. after all the Riot Act bashing that went on, i guess i just really expected most to love this record.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Ahhhh man! i just love every fucking pearl jam album! every one of em! :D
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I second the above post. But there is nothing and I repeat NOTHING like listening to a PJ album the first time, thinking it's ok, not that great, then listening to it some more, liking it a little more, listening to it again, then again, then again then suddenly realising it's fucking GREAT! That's the way I felt with the Avocado. I love it when PJ songs grow on me.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Umm...Pretty much every Pearl Jam single has had to grow on me.

"Go" was even a vast departure from the sound of the Ten album.

"Courdory" was kind of a what the fuck is this kind of moment .

Don't even get me started on "Who You Are"

So to answer your question.....No I don't really remember a time when pj songs didn't have to grow on me.

I think that is required of good art.
    It's meant to take you out of your comfort zone and be a little unfamiliar at first.
    That is true.
    Lookout, your seat might be filled when you're back from your bathroom break. :lol:
  • Options
    esacks23 wrote:
    yeah, think hard.. real hard. remember? sure, there's always some that don't need "growing" but there's always more that do, of late, it seems. anyway, "the fixer" can grow as tall as it wants the rest of my life, but it won't grow on me. hopefully there will be some other songs on this album that i'll like immediately... even though they're all gonna be 2.5 minute into the wild extended versions. the songs these guys are putting out these days are shorter than eddie. and i don't want to beat this into the ground, but damn, they should know better than to write and release a song with such stupid lyrics. looks like i've found another good bathroom break/beer run song... i better be quick though!!!;) hopefully they'll jam out that ridiculous fade out ending so i have time to get back to my seat for hopefully NOT "betterman".

A little bit of advice from an optimistic thinker (I think Eddie vedder said it best)

"come to send, not condensend."

think about it. ;)
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I bet everyone who doesn't like the fixer now, will like it after they see it live. It's gonna be a dance party! You guys are just bored and you need to put a little excited on you.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...