2009 New England Patriots thread

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    You're exactly right, "having" to play San Diego, in San Diego with all that they feel they owe you, three tall WRs that are difficult for your D to cover, and LT starting to come around, IF you beat Baltimore sounds a lot more daunting than going to a a Indy with a soulless crowd, and a team coming off two straight losses.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    jimed14 wrote:
    Actually, what really sucks about today's events, the Pats are the #3 seed.

So no matter what happens, if they beat the Ravens, they have to go to San Diego. Would much rather face the Colts in the divisional round.

True. But since the Colts have the bye and pretty much have been resting their starters since last week... The Colts might lose their first playoff game. Which means if the Pats beat the Chargers, the Colts might not even be an issue in the playoffs for the Pats. Not likely, but not impossible.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jimed14 wrote:
    Actually, what really sucks about today's events, the Pats are the #3 seed.

So no matter what happens, if they beat the Ravens, they have to go to San Diego. Would much rather face the Colts in the divisional round.

True. But since the Colts have the bye and pretty much have been resting their starters since last week... The Colts might lose their first playoff game. Which means if the Pats beat the Chargers, the Colts might not even be an issue in the playoffs for the Pats. Not likely, but not impossible.

If ... again, working on "if", if the Pats win vs Baltimore and then at San Diego, they will be heading to Indy as I honestly don't see the Jets or Bengals going into Indy and winning against their "A" squad.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    As for players playing...I think the recent past has demonstrated that doing things either way can be successful. I think there is an element of "freshness" and "repetition" that players need, but my feeling is that some players/teams like achieving individual and team 'records' more than others. The Pats have long done this, not just with the 2007 team trying to go 19-0, but also having Flutie drop kick a FG, Brady slinging a bunch of TDs, getting Moss his 23rd, and so on. They also aren't the only team to do this...why, for example were Romo, and McNabb on the field at the end of a 24-0 ballgame? Romo was going to try to take every snap in a season for the Cowboys, plus ensure that this was statistically the greatest DAL offense of all-time, and McNabb was trying, in vein, to prevent the Cowboys from getting back to back shutouts. Does it matter? If it motivates players sure...my feeling when I saw how PISSED the Colts were on the sidelines losing to the Jets was that it may have been a great way to motivate that particular team, while Brady may have choked out Bellytits if he tried to do the same.
    Where I stand on the Colts and sitting their players ... and I think it's a pretty simple analysis.

The Colts hae won a Superbowl, I'd say a good portion of their current roster have rings ... so, a second ring would be nice, but, how often are you going to be 14 - 0? Fuck yeah, they wanted it ... they wanted 19-0, badly.

Jim Caldwell on the other hand, he does not have a ring. He wants his first championship. So, he's going to rest his guys to aim for that first one.

The fans, greedy, as pretty much any fanbase would be ... they fall in line with the players, they want 19-0 as well.

I wish they went for it ... even if the Pats have a rivalry with the Colts, I wish they did ... and if they got it, we'd NEVER FICKING HEAR FROM MERCURY MORRIS AGAIN! :D

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    haha...the '72 Dolphins are forever stuck in that Bruce Springsteen song "Glory Days". It's kind of funny that they still party it up on the last day the last undefeated team loses though. I think that the Colts were weak enough that, even had they finished 16-0, losing in the playoffs was pretty possible...so resting up may have been the best thing for them.
    RW81233 wrote:
    haha...the '72 Dolphins are forever stuck in that Bruce Springsteen song "Glory Days". It's kind of funny that they still party it up on the last day the last undefeated team loses though. I think that the Colts were weak enough that, even had they finished 16-0, losing in the playoffs was pretty possible...so resting up may have been the best thing for them.

But they had a bye week ...that's what I don't get.

I do think at 15-0, heading into a snowy Buffalo with a super slick field, thus a high potential for injury, that would have made things really touchy ... but, fuck ... if you've already won one (or 3, ;) ) ... you go for it.

edited January 2010
    jimed14 wrote:
    Where I stand on the Colts and sitting their players ... and I think it's a pretty simple analysis.

The Colts hae won a Superbowl, I'd say a good portion of their current roster have rings ... so, a second ring would be nice, but, how often are you going to be 14 - 0? Fuck yeah, they wanted it ... they wanted 19-0, badly.

Jim Caldwell on the other hand, he does not have a ring. He wants his first championship. So, he's going to rest his guys to aim for that first one.

The fans, greedy, as pretty much any fanbase would be ... they fall in line with the players, they want 19-0 as well.

I wish they went for it ... even if the Pats have a rivalry with the Colts, I wish they did ... and if they got it, we'd NEVER FICKING HEAR FROM MERCURY MORRIS AGAIN! :D

Which is why the Colts only won 1 SB this decade. This was Tony Dungees MO. Sit the starters and rest them for the playoffs. Problem with that was they usually clinched home field after 14 games. That leaves 2 regular season games plus a bye week. That's 4 weeks before the starters play competitive football against a team that has been playing competetively all along. That is a long time off even if you're Peyton Manning and one of the best QB's in the history of the game. I can def see them losing to the Pats at home with that much rest. The Pats will be gunning for them. The Pats won 3 SB's without resting their starters which speaks volumes. I would love to see the Pats head to San Diego in the AFC Championship to teach them a lesson but for some reason I think it will be the Bengals/Pats in the AFC Championship. Call me crazy but I think the Colts are going down in Divisional game.

edit: I TOTALLY agree about Mercury Morris. I hate that prick and was willing to root for the Colts in the playoffs had they gone 16-0.
    Post edited by youngster on

Ravens @ Pats - Sunday at 1 pm eastern!!!

So ... yeah, Randy Moss missing practice today and seen limping around the locker room with ice on his knee.

I really hope the Pats are playing rope-a-dope with the Ravens.

Aiken, Edelmann and Stanback might make us long for the days of Patten, Givens and Brown. :?

Quite the ugly start .... :sick:

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    The Ravens SO FAR are kicking ass :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Better to be down 14 - 0 after 5 minutes than with 5 minutes left.

But, it really doesn't even look liek the Pats woke up this morning.

The Ravens D when they smell blood = dangerous.

A lot of time left.

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Wow. This is terrible. :cry:
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Wow
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Exactly what you guys said, my other half is rooting for the Ravens and the guy from the movie Blind Side. :( This sucks, they need to create a turnover to get back in this thing

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Big stop after that punt return had the Raven in Patriots territory again.

And now a first down.

Still, 7 minutes left in the 1st quarter. O-line needs to step up.

Nevermind, HORRIBLE interception. Ugh.

WTF? Ray Lewis is a pain

With 4 minutes left in the first ... our score ...

Ravens - 21
    Foxborough High - 0

:evil:

Ok can the Patriots get a do over now

Peace

jimed14 wrote:
    With 4 minutes left in the first ... our score ...

Ravens - 21
    Foxborough High - 0

:evil:
    :lol: :oops: :lol:

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    wow, this is fugly !!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolf wrote:
    wow, this is beautiful !!

There, I fixed it for you.

:lol:
    Man are they out of the 1st quarter yet? This IS ugly

Peace

BTW do you think if Welker was in the game would the Patriots have kicked the ball to the Ravens?

peace

Holy shit ...

Why didn't Harbaugh challenge that fumble???

What a break!

• WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    jimed14 wrote:
    Holy shit ...

Why didn't Harbaugh challenge that fumble???

What a break!

definite break but we'll take it.....

this is ugly but....lot of time left and we appear to be executing.....all we need to do....EXECUTE!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
    Ok, if the Pats can get a TD before the half and pull wihtin 10.

They get the ball first in the 2nd half.

Well, just saying, at least they have momentum now.

Helps when the Ravens are starting all their drives from the Patriots 30.

Edit - damn, could have really used a score before half. Going to have to play ZERO mistake football in the second half. Things do indeed look grim.

It's now 27 - 7 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd.

Joe Flacco is 2 for 7 for 9 yards and an INT.

Amazing stats for a team that's up by 20.

27-14 now.

Still a long shot but I have seen teams come back from worse.

Remember the Dolphins/Jets "Monday Night Miracle" from 2000?

Anything can happen.