Options

NEW ALBUM ALL SONGS LISTED in GERMANY´s VISIONS MAGAZIN

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Sounds like this album will be even more straight forward, radio friendly rock than Avocado.. I can't wait to hear it!
  • Options
    Anyone know where to find Unthought Known? Is there an Ed recording floating around?
  • Options
    Anyone know where to find Unthought Known? Is there an Ed recording floating around?

Hey i just did a search in Yahoo! for Unthought Known, Eddie Vedder and a clip came up. Love the song...I can see a full band version being great.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339
    Even with the screen shots from the magazine, I'm very skeptical of this.

Supersonic & Force of Nature (Both Oasis song titles) and Speed of Sound (Coldplay title).

I could be terribly mistaken, but I really don't believe that PJ would do that.
    Do you really think that Pearl Jam even knows Oasis and Coldplay have songs with these titles? I doubt it. I didn't know. So even if they did somehow I doubt they would be like "oh my god, Coldplay has a song with that title so we can't name our song that" Thats recockulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    its only 10 minutes shorter than vs.
    That can be like.. 2 songs.
    get rid of blood and rats and im happy.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    comatose_253comatose_253 Posts: 270
    edited June 2009
    Murderers wrote:
    Pinkerton is only 34 minutes and it's one of the best of all time.

Either/Or is only 36 minutes and it's one of the best of all time.

The Queen is Dead is only 37 minutes and it's one of the best of all time.

Harvest is only 37 minutes and it's one of the best of all time.

Pink Moon is only 28 minutes and it's one of the best of all time.

You guys read into shit too much.

Nice . . . all these folks that think a good record has to be packed with 5 or 6 minute songs and include extended jams is ridiculous. That's what live shows are for!

Be patient and listen to the record before passing judgment.
    Post edited by comatose_253 on
  • Options
    comatose_253comatose_253 Posts: 270
    Bremerton wrote:
    speed of sound= coldplay cover
    supersonic = oasis cover
    Actually quite a few folks have songs titled Supersonic:

Supersonic by

***Old School Players ***my personal fav :-)
    Bad Religion
    Basement Jaxx
    Oasis
    The Brian Jonestown Massacre
    D’Molls
    Clyde
    Jamiroquai
    Thomas Blug
    Coburn
    Litmus
    Ayatollah
    Go Jimmy Go
    Munk
    The Young Gods
    Lennie Tristano
    Beatfriends
    Zodiac
    Cowboy Mouth
    HardNox
    Family Force 5
    Nymphs
    J.J. Fad

And . . . The Kinks have a song called Supersonic Rocket Ship.

Courtesy of itunes . . . I have no idea who most of these people are. I’m probably excluding another 40 or 50 too.
  • Options
    Even with the screen shots from the magazine, I'm very skeptical of this.

Supersonic & Force of Nature (Both Oasis song titles) and Speed of Sound (Coldplay title).

I could be terribly mistaken, but I really don't believe that PJ would do that.
    I wonder how many bands have songs titled "Down", "Black", "Gone" and so on.. I bet most of PJ's song titles are shared with other bands. It's just a title the band uses for reference. Its not like they are inventing new words. There's only so many words in the English language.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Another thing I haven't seen mentioned.

The very first review from the NME guy said 12 tracks.

This review says 11 tracks.

So maybe a hidden song might add another 4 min, bringing the total to 40 minutes :?:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966

So maybe a hidden song might add another 4 min, bringing the total to 40 minutes :?:

I've already mentioned this twice in this post, but nobody took notice. :D

The NME reviewer also confirmed after Conan that got some was the opening track on the album.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327

either that or they took a song out.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    UpSideDown wrote:

I've already mentioned this twice in this post, but nobody took notice. :D

The NME reviewer also confirmed after Conan that got some was the opening track on the album.

It's a long thread now. I didn't read the middle 9 pages I missed over night ;):D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    psycosmic wrote:
    Here are the full song descriptions from German music mag Visions as translated by me:

THE NEW PEARL JAM: HERE'S WHAT TO EXPECT

Four mountain ridges, a canyon, a copious green valley, a steep rock, a jungle, veld - and an almost punchline ending. Pearl Jam's ninth studio album "Backspacer" is the first one since "Yield" that has been produced by Brendan O'Brien.

See My Friend: Pearl Jam as you expect them today: straight rock, strong lyrics, hands-on and aggressive.

Got Some: Also rock, also straight and almost angry but with some distinctive guitar licks by Mike McCready.

The Fixer: The first highlight. A tight, almost classic rock tune but clever at the same time. Slightly odd, and with cool vocal melodies and rhythms this track is a mini anthem.

Johnny Guitar: Fortunately not as bland as the title suggests. Also a rocker, but with a remarkable amout of lyrics and sincerity. Grows above average but still a very classical tune.

Just Breathe: The first break and a moment to take some breath. Lovely acoustic ballad. The fingers fly over the fret board, an unobtrusive string arrangement and lyrics about love - mature, wonderful, terrific vocal delivery.

Amongst The Waves: Finally there's not only pushing forward but in all directions with a song that tries to reach the sky. The positive build-up reminds of "Given To Fly" as well as the fact that you just can't point at the root of "Amongst The Waves" (Is it the lyrics? guitars? drums?).

Unthought Known: First very climatic, then a passionate mid-tempo rock song. A slightly blurry ending but still more palpable than anything off the last album.

Supersonic: The obligatory wild song that you can find on every Pearl Jam album since "Vitalogy". Almost cheerful, driven by Matt Cameron's fast pace, in the beginning reminiscent of Soundgarden. But Soundgarden were better at creating those angular bundles of energy.

Speed Of Sound: Exotic. A strange pop song with a different sound than the rest of the album and its clear-cut production. Still: piano, tingling, suspense...

Force Of Nature: A rock song like a Pearl Jam concert: An innocent beginning, but it grows naturally and expands and has you totally in its grip before you know it.

The End: The second acoustic song and to be taken literally. One of the strongest ballads by the band since a long time, amongst other things because its urgency manifests in Vedder's vocals. Even the end of the end needs a worthy ending.

Wow!!! Just fucking wow!!!! After seeing the magazine scan and reading this translation i am so fucking pumped for this record! The descriptions have sent my mind racing wondering if this possbily could be the album i've been waiting for!
    Thanks for taking the time to translate , you rock!
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    6 minutes, 36 minutes, i dont give a feck, as long as it's good. and by the 'reviews' so far, it sounds cool.
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • Options
    i dont believe all this moaning. bloody madness, it's less for yous to bitch about, look at it that way.

when have PJ really every let us down ? we're spoilt enough as it is by these genuises.
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    edited June 2009
    i don't see what the big deal is about 36 minutes. that's an average of 3+ minutes per song, and there are a LOT of incredible songs in pj's catalog that come in at or under the 3-minute mark.

and when you think about it, Binaural would have been an even better album had it been shortened to 36 minutes.
    ;)
    Post edited by gusturtle on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    this is bullshit until i see a link or a scan of the article. i hate speculation. most of these don't even sound like PJ song titles. working titles maybe..
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    i dont believe all this moaning. bloody madness, it's less for yous to bitch about, look at it that way.

when have PJ really every let us down ? we're spoilt enough as it is by these genuises.

(cough)No Code (cough)
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    this is bullshit until i see a link or a scan of the article. i hate speculation. most of these don't even sound like PJ song titles. working titles maybe..
    There is a scan of the article in this very thread ... ;)

Edit: try page 11 :D
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    -nobody--nobody- Posts: 13
    edited June 2009

a link to a scan:

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2009/06/upc ... published/

...satisfied?
    it's not specualtion; the writer/the magazine went to the studio and also conducted an interview with jeff&stone...

somehow the numerous links to all the scans within the thread and the first page don't work for me...

I assume they also don't work for you, right?

EDIT: why do some people think this is not legit, because the mods don't take the thread down? It's official press by the band with a music magazine scheduled for release this wednesday. why would anyone delete official information released by the band for everyone to see? Sometimes people's logic is beyond me...
    Post edited by -nobody- on
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mach271 wrote:

(cough)No Code (cough)

wow. really?? i mean, really??
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    mach271 wrote:

(cough)No Code (cough)

you should be banned from future pearl jam concerts for this statement.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    mach271 wrote:

(cough)No Code (cough)

????

No Code is a masterpiece.
  • Options
    Sometimes
    Hail, Hail
    Who You Are
    In My Tree
    Smile
    Off He Goes...

...do I need to continue? Dare I say that if you do not like 'No Code' you're legitimately insane.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    maybe some of you "noobs" werent around for the actual release of this album!

I WAS!

i counted off the days on my calender that whole summer of 1996....i was 15yo at the time....

When release day came it was the most dissapointing day ever!

After having 10/vs/vital then No Code, HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!

Aug 27 1996 went down as one of the most DISSAPOINTING days in rock music release of the decade! (millions felt the same) Shit i remember MTV doing a piece on it, and interviewing peop in the street, EVERYONE HATED IT AND WAS DISSAPOINTED!

I stilll listened to it, over and over again...but in reality all it was, was an album to "pull back" from the masses....and it accomplished that
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mach271 wrote:

I WAS!

i counted off the days on my calender that whole summer of 1996....i was 15yo at the time....

Aug 27 1996 went down as one of the most DISSAPOINTING days in rock music release of the decade!

first off, i'm not a "Noob". Secondly, I also bought this record at midnight when I was 18. Thirdly, when I heard it, I knew that it was my favorite PJ record up to that point. Guess what...it still is!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    mach271 wrote:

I WAS!

Aug 27 1996 went down as one of the most DISSAPOINTING days in rock music release of the decade!

first off, i'm not a "Noob". Secondly, I also bought this record at midnight when I was 18. Thirdly, when I heard it, I knew that it was my favorite PJ record up to that point. Guess what...it still is!

To each his own........
  • Options
    mach271 wrote:

I WAS!

Aug 27 1996 went down as one of the most DISSAPOINTING days in rock music release of the decade! (millions felt the same) Shit i remember MTV doing a piece on it, and interviewing peop in the street, EVERYONE HATED IT AND WAS DISSAPOINTED!

I stilll listened to it, over and over again...but in reality all it was, was an album to "pull back" from the masses....and it accomplished that

it was a disapointment to all the fans looking for another 10/VS album...for me..it solidified my fan status for ever...it's my favorite PJ album and nothing less than a masterpiece...i was glad when the masses jumped off the bandwagon..it gave me room to stretch my legs. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    huge lol @ a ten/vs fanboy calling anyone else a noob.

seriously?
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    mach271 wrote:

I WAS!

I hear ya...I remember listening to it for the first time and being a bit disappointed...its still down the list of ranking my love of PJ albums...although I do listen to it more than Riot Act and slightly less than Binaural....Thankfully Avocado grabbed me by the balls on first listen and this was the first time since Yeild that I wasnt a bit disappointed with an album (bar comeback and parachutes - for me, both of these broke the flow of the album and I dont think I will ever warm to them)...but as someone else said, each to their own. :twisted:
    I need a coffee!